• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
I could see a water/fire typing based on deep sea vents, or even other extremophile themes as part of its evolutionary line. It's not that much of a stretch. Ice/fire could work as a "one arm for fire punch and the other for ice punch" implementation (also see Weirds in MTG). They'll do weird typings here and there but a lot of slots get taken up every generation by re-used staples.

I could see a water/fire typing based on deep sea vents, or even other extremophile themes as part of its evolutionary line. It's not that much of a stretch. Ice/fire could work as a "one arm for fire punch and the other for ice punch" implementation (also see Weirds in MTG). They'll do weird typings here and there but a lot of slots get taken up every generation by re-used staples.

Though not technically a type change, Kyurem and Reshirams fusion thing was ice and fire. But yeah, water and fire could work in epic ways, signature move? Scald.

Also, you know - aquatic volcanoes = Fire/Water. There's also a legendary Japanese monster called the Hippou that's a fire-breathing crane that lives in water.

Though not technically a type change, Kyurem and Reshirams fusion thing was ice and fire. But yeah, water and fire could work in epic ways, signature move? Scald.

Assuming that there are dual-typed moves... Which will be a hassle to program in the code, with 8x weakness and resistances...

Yeah, dual-type moves would be completely unnecessary.

Yeah, but there should be another rainbow Poke.

Please no, because at this point, I can see them triple-type it as Water/Fire/Grass...

God's wounds, why would they triple type anything, and why would a rainbow Pokemon be GRASS type?

Fey and Fairy mean the same thing. Stop complaining about the name!!

I said I would shut up about it!

Like in LoZ Spirit Tracks. Fraaz, the Master of Icy Fire.

To stifle the conflict here, might I say that Fairy is hands-down the broadest type? Somebody please tell me what Fairy-types have in common after seeing Gardevoir and Marill...No wonder Sylveon's English name is so tied down to a specific concept (forest deities) as opposed to reflecting the entirety of its type like the other Eeveelutions. Sylveon disappointingly isn't much of a "poster child" of its type (other than the color scheme). Why, you ask? Because the type itself is broad, so they couldn't shove all the concepts into one design/have it embody the primary concept (because there is none in this case), and thus, the Eeveelution naming trend and design trend were broken. No, not all fairies are sylvan. Honestly, the first time I saw it, I immediately thought of a gift box, not a fairy.

We still have much to learn about the new Fairy-type but I suspect it'll be much like Dragon-type in respect to design and flavor cutting down on what will fit into the type.

Also, you know - aquatic volcanoes = Fire/Water. There's also a legendary Japanese monster called the Hippou that's a fire-breathing crane that lives in water.

That is awesome, I demand this pokemon immediately. Though honestly it would probably be Fire/Flying just for some reason you'd only catch it while surfing or running around lakes or something.

Fairy/Dragon, mindfuck

What's wrong with this?
Fairy_Dragon_by_Tabon.jpg

Somebody please tell me what Fairy-types have in common after seeing Gardevoir and Marill.

Gardevoir already looked like a Fairy/elf to begin with. So did Jigglypuff. They're both very "unnatural" (they look more like humanoid cartoon characters than wild animals) looking but not artificial.

Marril is a dual-type that's obviously leaning more towards water than fairy.

FAIRY!!! THATS THE BEST NAME THEY COULD THINK OF!? WTF!!!! I like the idea sort of, but this new type kind of seems to be related to the normal type. I think what pokemon is doing is trying to attract an audience who like the lighter things in life. They need to also fix the type chart. Poor Grass and Rock are screwed and have been for many years now. They need to make chnages so every type is equal. And another thing with the Fairy type; its good that the Dragon type has another weakness to make it more even but I would expect Dark to be weak to Fairy, unless Fairy is weak to Dark!?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom