• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Blissey + Fairy-type = game-breaker beyond belief, mmmmmmmm that thought it delicious. If the Happiny line is re-typed I will cry tears of geeky joy.

Oh god no... Blissey is strong enough last thing we need is for her to be even Harder to take down (though she'd gain more weaknesses

Marill is a water mouse. I don't see anything fairylike about it. Maybe it is Pikablu.

It's also a living beach ball. Mickey Mouse is also "just a mouse", but if you saw him depicted in real-life he'd obviously be a supernatural entity of some sort. But more to the point, the only thing making Marill a mouse is the ears. Take those away and you've just got a blue Jigglypuff. Similarly, Azumarill is "rabbit-like" but clearly not a rabbit aside from the ears. Both are very, very loosely based on real animals. But if you compare Marill to Ratatta and Azruill to Buneary (who isn't even "realistic") you can see that they're not really regular animals.

That's sort of where the Fairy-type is derived from, I think. The "Normal-type" Pokemon who are classified as Normal but are obviously feminine and supernatural and not regular beasts at all. Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Chansey, and so-on. If you look at the Fairy-type as a design that originated with those three you can see what Sylveon, Marill, and Gardevoir all have in-common.

Poor Grass and Rock are screwed and have been for many years now.

Rock is a potent offensive type and pretty good on defense, too.

Gen V had a lot of powerful Grass-types. And I bet a lot of Grass-types are going to learn Fairy moves.

Marill is a water mouse. I don't see anything fairylike about it. Maybe it is Pikablu.

It's also a living beach ball. Mickey Mouse is also "just a mouse", but if you saw him depicted in real-life he'd obviously be a supernatural entity of some sort. But more to the point, the only thing making Marill a mouse is the ears. Take those away and you've just got a blue Jigglypuff. Similarly, Azumarill is "rabbit-like" but clearly not a rabbit aside from the ears. Both are very, very loosely based on real animals. But if you compare Marill to Ratatta and Azruill to Buneary (who isn't even "realistic") you can see that they're not really regular animals.

That's sort of where the Fairy-type is derived from, I think. The "Normal-type" Pokemon who are classified as Normal but are obviously feminine and supernatural and not regular beasts at all. Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Chansey, and so-on. If you look at the Fairy-type as a design that originated with those three you can see what Sylveon, Marill, and Gardevoir all have in-common.

What are you talking about? All of the Pokemon don't look like regular animals, and all of the Pokemon are supernatural. Like Flygon, Altaria, Pikachu, Parasect, etc.

i told you guys that it was the only new type that i could not scientifically debunk but i didn't think that the pokemon company was actually going to use it.

Poor Grass and Rock are screwed and have been for many years now. They need to make chnages so every type is equal. And another thing with the Fairy type; its good that the Dragon type has another weakness to make it more even but I would expect Dark to be weak to Fairy, unless Fairy is weak to Dark!?

Agreed. Maybe they will be weak to each other?

What are you talking about? All of the Pokemon don't look like regular animals, and all of the Pokemon are supernatural. Like Flygon, Altaria, Pikachu, Parasect, etc.

I do agree with you for this point. All Pokémon are fictional and are based on everything like living things (animals and plants) and non-living things. They are capable of attacking using "weapons" known as moves, unlike many real-life animals and plants.

I'm still working out why Jigglypuff and Marill are now Fairy-type. Specifically how they relate to lore, mythos, and such.

I would like to stress that Gardevior is NOT Fairy-type because it has a "feminine" appearance, but instead because inspiration basis. Gardevior are designed to be guardian angels who look after the well-being of their trainers. With the addition of Fairy to their type Gardevior are now also reminiscent of fairy godparents.
Gimme those wishes!

I bet they're gonna make Clefairy a fairy type too. After all, it's got fairy in it's name.
But still. I said this way back earlier, they're gonna have change the system, with the now previous 649 pokemon and 559 moves. Back then when they introduced Steel and Dark type, they had a pool of 150 they could've possibly changed, and moves that also could've possibly changed as well. The series was still new back then, so it was normal, maybe even expected that major changes like that would happen. However, now that they're well established, it's really unexpected.
I'm curious to see how this is gonna go. I'm kinda hoping Mismagius would be considered a fairy type XD

How about Altaria fairy/flying anyone?

Ha ha! No.

Fairy/Dragon, mindfuck

What's wrong with this?
Fairy_Dragon_by_Tabon.jpg

That's some DeviantArt shit right there.

in European myth and legend there actually was a kind of dragon called the fairy dragon. they looked like scaly dragonflies with dragonflies' eyes and were the size of a small hawk supposedly

I always considered Clefairy, Chansey, and Jigglypuff to be somewhat of an un-official trio. They're both pink, have a 3 stage line, reach one of their forms by friendship and the other by a stone. They also start their line off with a baby Pokemon. Non the less, I would expect all of them to become Normal/Fairy types. If they didn't.... wait no I don't even want to think about that.

How about Altaria fairy/flying anyone?

Ha ha! No.

Fairy/Dragon, mindfuck

What's wrong with this?
Fairy_Dragon_by_Tabon.jpg

That's some DeviantArt shit right there.

in European myth and legend there actually was a kind of dragon called the fairy dragon. they looked like scaly dragonflies with dragonflies' eyes and were the size of a small hawk supposedly

Sounds very interesting. Could you provide any links or illustrations by any chance?

I tried to search for images of the fairy dragon that was depicted in some expansions of Heroes of Might and Magic III, which somewhat matched the dragonfly-eyed description, but it seems to have fallen into obscurity. Always liked it as a kid; its attack was a random damaging spell, while it was shielded from spells by a magic mirror.

Edit: better success with "faerie dragon" prompt, though

I was thinking, what if Marill and Jigglypuff are Fairy types, but their evolutions are not? Like how, as young kids, you believe in magic and fairy tales. But when you get older, you lose that belief? Gardevoir would just be a species who kept on believing and reaped the benefits.

Of course, I would rage if this theory were true, because it's so dumb.

Weighing in on the Fairy-type brouhaha, I actually like the new type. It's really cool to me to have a new type, the image of Sylveon taking on a Hydreigon was pretty badass and made me like Sylveon more.

That being said, I definitely don't think Fairies will change anything Dragon wise because honestly. All the Fairies so far suck competitively in OU when faced against a Dragon-type, Wigglytuff, Azumarill, Mawile and Gardevoir would get killed by bulky EV-invested MultiScale Dragonite after throwing out their futile attacks. It's nothing wrong, they just suck and are too slow or too weak and slow to actually do anything to OU Dragon monsters. The likes of Hydreigon, Flygon, Garchomp, Salamence and Haxorus will kill them before they even know it, Salamence runs Iron Head and would knock Wigglytuff into the dirt before it could do anything. Haxorus/Garchomp could easily exploit all of their mundane speed stats and end things quickly with Poison Jab. I'm not even touching Mawile, she would get beaten to death by the metagame's token move, Earthquake or get roasted by Flamethrower/Fire Blast from a Dragon anyway. It's really a speed showdown with Fairies, most Dragon-types are speedy Pokemon and have Dragon Dance in their arsenal and could likely more than survive a SE hit from a Fairy. All fairies so far are horribly slow Pokemon.

Sylveon, something I can't really judge at the moment. It depends on its stats, it really needs speed and power to do anything to a Dragon given the likes of Salamence are bulky enough to survive Fairy-type moves anyway. She can't be useful without power and speed and she would likely be frail since Eevees tend to have certain good stats and certain bad one to balance themselves. Jolteon is fast and strong Special Attack wise but terribly frail for example. Flareon has good hitting power all around but shitty defenses and speed. Umbreon has amazing defenses but can't hit worth a damn and is slow. Fairy-type is only useful if we get some useful fairies in the first place guys. It's actually a shame because having another "mythical" type seemed really cool and exclusive. Druddigon/Altaria is one of the more lesser used Dragon-types but is still ridiculously good for example. Mawile is useless, Wigglytuff is still useless, etc.

I love the new type and Sylveon, but honestly throwing Fairy on everything cute/feminine makes it seem like a massive stereotype and believe it or not some fairies in folklore were malicious and very lethal beast rather than sparkly things with wings. Asian fairies, iirc, are pranksters too. But yeah fairies can be kind and nice but they can also kill and eat you as well. They weren't nearly as stereotypical like they are today thanks to shows like Winx Club. I actually kinda hope Xernea is Fairy, it'd give us a nice nonstereotypical Fairy and one with good stats. It could do well in Ubers against the likes of V-Create Rayquaza. :> Considering Marill is an Aqua Mouse, I'll just say they don't care about fundamental Fairies and are putting it on cute/feminine things TBH.

I love the fanart we've got of fairies thus far:

tumblr_mo8rulNJ1I1qlpahho1_500.png
They really look like they could kick your ass. :p

I have no problem with this new type. More possibilities for type combinations. And I'd like to see a Fairy/Dark type.

I hate the Fairy-Type in my opinion. I doubted the idea from the beginning, and I HATE it when I'm wrong. (You do not want to see me doing homework) For another, I was over fairies when I was 5. So thanks Nintendo, you just made me a hater of 4 more Pokémon... :mad:
I think a problem here is that a lot of people think Disney's Tinkerbell when someone says Fairy
Even though when you look at folklore and myths, there's a wide range of what they actually include, which can make for some pretty interesting concepts, considering not all mythological faeries are cute and cuddly (some are outright malicious)

I hate the Fairy-Type in my opinion. I doubted the idea from the beginning, and I HATE it when I'm wrong. (You do not want to see me doing homework) For another, I was over fairies when I was 5. So thanks Nintendo, you just made me a hater of 4 more Pokémon... :mad:
I think a problem here is that a lot of people think Disney's Tinkerbell when someone says Fairy
Even though when you look at folklore and myths, there's a wide range of what they actually include, which can make for some pretty interesting concepts, considering not all mythological faeries are cute and cuddly (some are outright malicious)
And petty much all of them are assholes

Which is kind of weird, since the original Tinkerbell, even in the Disney movie - was a cruel and mischievous character who tried multiple times to murder a little girl out of jealousy.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom