• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
The general thought srounding fairys will always be pink girls with wings,they will never shake that stigma. I dont mind pokemon looking small and cute.. just not fairys !! Its unnesacary then they do things like turn marill into one which makes zero sense, I just hate the fairy type. It is a terrible move by gamefreak imo, yes pokemon is kids game but many people take it seriously like me and the fact fairy exit has killed that for me now I used to write intesne storys of drama but that is killed by the exitance of a fairy type to me it is just a kiddie money grabbing francise now, I will always reremer the old pokemon though before it was like this.

Horrible grammar, Anyways i hated the fairy type too until i realized how it could make Pokemon like Gardevoir more relevant in the metagame.

What's wrong with pink girls with wings, exactly?

This is made all the more hilarious a guy with 'pretty' in his name. No offence, but...

So we still don't know if Fairy type is going to be immune to Dragon type or not. While I would like it to be, I think it's probably just going to be resistant.

The fairy type is the worst thing to happen to pokemon in its history, it has become a little kid game I cannot take it seriously anymore. Fairy type sounds like somthing a 10 year old would do..lets see most other typs are elements flying,fire,grass,electric,ground,rock,water,ice then we randomly have fairy !!! wtf is that? fairys are not real ! and before anyone gets clever dragons are based on lizards which are infact real.

because of cry babys who cant understand the fact dragons are supposed to be strong thats the whole point their fire breathing dragons who destroy citys of course they are strong, nearly all of them have a 4x weakness to ice yet people still bitch so now they intoduce this bs type. I hope you are all proud of yourselfs.

"It has become a little kids game" have you been living under a rock?? It has ALWAYS been aimed for children.

Dragons are lizard-like, they're not based on lizards, they are just as mythological as Fairies, therefore your terrible point is completely invalid.

I find it highly hypocritical of you judging others about bitching, when that is all you do in this post. GameFreak's decision to introduce Fairy most likely had nothing to do with Dragon's being 'overpowered.' Considering they never changed or introduced anything new against the Dragons, they clearly didn't think Dragons were over powered enough not to change it since Gen I, the very beginning.

"I hope you are all proud of yourselfs" First of all, I hope for your sake English isn't your first language or you're just some annoyed little child who didn't get his way (I'm assuming it's option two). Second of all, none of us here had anything to do with introducing the Fairy type, so I have no idea why you think we do.

This post made me want to kill myself.

The general thought srounding fairys will always be pink girls with wings,they will never shake that stigma. I dont mind pokemon looking small and cute.. just not fairys !! Its unnesacary then they do things like turn marill into one which makes zero sense, I just hate the fairy type. It is a terrible move by gamefreak imo, yes pokemon is kids game but many people take it seriously like me and the fact fairy exit has killed that for me now I used to write intesne storys of drama but that is killed by the exitance of a fairy type to me it is just a kiddie money grabbing francise now, I will always reremer the old pokemon though before it was like this.

You are correct, but you must also see that Fairies were originally cruel creatures no different than demons. They killed and manipulated people, commonly children. They've now been made into cutesy creatures, but are the same kinds of monsters as Dragons are. Who knows if all Fairies will be cute and pink? We may get some based on the lore. Marill is in the Fairy Egg Group. It doesn't make 0 sense. I'm not trying to force you to like the type if you do not, but we barely know anything about it and you call it the worst decision GAME FREAK has ever made regarding Pokemon. Don't you think that's just a tad bit dramatic?

It's actually pretty simple. Since we live in the 5th century BCE, are at total war with all of our neighbors, and only have armor and simple weapons to protect ourselves, it's extremely important to the survival of the polis that we instill the virtue of manliness in our youth so that they will kill all the people who are not like us before they do the same to us.

This is made all the more hilarious a guy with 'pretty' in his name. No offence, but...

Damn, beat me to it.

For the record, I am not affiliated with this prettyvenemoth dude, in fact, he's almost convinced me that new type is cool.

Other than what the self-proclaimed "drama queen" has said up there every other person I've seen dissatisfied with Fairy-type has boiled down to 10-year-olds (literally and mentally) afraid of catching the gay. :scared:

I can be slightly dramatic on occasion, esspecially when somthing bad happens like it did with this fairy type, I have no problem with gays I do not take kindly to that.

@PrettyVenomoth: Dude, your arguments are relatively pretty shitty what with dragons are actually lizards and pink pretty girls with wings are generally bad.

I disagree, dragons were created form real life lizards, this is fact people.

It is a terrible move by gamefreak imo, yes pokemon is kids game but many people take it seriously like me and the fact fairy exits has killed that for me now. I used to write intesne storys of drama but that is killed by the exitance of a fairy types to me it is just a kiddie money grabbing francise now, I will always reremer the old pokemon though before it was like this.

Holy shit!! Did I read this right: "Oh noes! Sissy-type confirmed!! My fanfics are ruined!!!!!!"

Yes you read it right, no not ruined completely by certainly not as good, fairy is just a soft type and yes I know I am stereotypnig it but thats just the way it sounds

Im glad you all find my opinon hilarious.. yes I think Venomoth looks pretty or beautifull but I did not use beautiful for some reason, can't reremeber why. I have no problem with girly stuff I just feel it does not belong in pokemon, ok ? you dont have to agree I just don't get whats so hard to understand.

It is a terrible move by gamefreak imo, yes pokemon is kids game but many people take it seriously like me and the fact fairy exits has killed that for me now. I used to write intesne storys of drama but that is killed by the exitance of a fairy types to me it is just a kiddie money grabbing francise now, I will always reremer the old pokemon though before it was like this.

Sounds like someone has an irrational bout of femmephobia...

If you can have masculine Pokémon like Machamp or Sawk and Throh, there's no reason we can't have traditionally feminine Pokémon.

There's nothing wrong with girly things, any more than there's anything wrong with masculine things. Ya'll need to get over your fear of the colour pink.

I'm cool with the new type at least it's better than Heart, Sound, Echo, Emotion and god knows what other rumors were circulating around...

I basically accepted it way back when pokebeach rumors started to be proven... I'm just glad there's another type that is effective against Dragon. I'm not crazy about the name though, I'd rather have it be Fae or something more mystical-sounding but whatever...

And why exactly are Gardevoir and Marrill Fairy-type? I reckon a lot of things in the Fairy-egg group are going to be slapped with Fairy type now.

Anyway, if anyone had any misconceptions that pokemon wasn't a kid's game...you really need to reassess your idea of adult entertainment.

Im glad you all find my opinon hilarious.. yes I think Venomoth looks pretty or beautifull but I did not use beautiful for some reason, can't reremeber why. I have no problem with girly stuff I just feel it does not belong in pokemon, ok ? you dont have to agree I just don't get whats so hard to understand.

It's the fact that a guy with 'pretty' in his name is complaining about Fairies being too girly that's hilarious, not your opinions.

They just seem stereotypically macho and somewhat misinformed.

And why exactly are Gardevoir and Marrill Fairy-type? I reckon a lot of things in the Fairy-egg group are going to be slapped with Fairy type now.

Gardevoir is somewhat obvious because its design is based on a guardian angel, but Marill... I don't know. It doesn't look like a water sprite, so....

I think the one who will have a fairy type from previous gen were the onea who belong to rhe fairy egg group and mostly those who are single typing cuz if they were to change a hse dual typing it would be very hard to choose which type to drop like togetic is it fairy/flying or normal/fairy? Dropping a previous type never happen before but then again nobody can tell.

Yeah, the big question for me right now is if Togekiss is Fairy/Flying or Normal/Flying. I could see it going either way. Almost all the other Pokemon in the Fairy egg-group are single-type, though - so no biggie on most of that.

Well, we have a non-Legendary pure Fairy type already - which is more than we can say about Flying. Flying's just really weird. Most retcons will be adding Fairy to a pre-existing type like Magneton's Steel type. Any pure Fairies are going to have to debut in Gen 6 or above.

Sounds like someone has an irrational bout of femmephobia...

If you can have masculine Pokémon like Machamp or Sawk and Throh, there's no reason we can't have traditionally feminine Pokémon.

There's nothing wrong with girly things, any more than there's anything wrong with masculine things. Ya'll need to get over your fear of the colour pink.

Oh so now im sexist.. for god sake my profile is purple my favourite pokemon is mostly pink, biyomon my 2nd favourite rookie digimon is all pink. Angewomon my favourite ultimate is a girl! and purple, I like pink ok !! you must be trollin me I have a venomoth as a avatar yet I fear pink..I do not mind their being girly pokenon and just for the record many femmine pokemon are psychic type anyway jynx, gardivoir, espeon, latias. No type should be completly masculine or completely femminie look at virizion and breloon(shes a girly!) for figthing! so fairy will clearly be overly girly and this is just werid to me along with other factors a to why I think this is a terrible move, dragons have also lost alot of usage they are my 2nd fav type imagine the embaressment of being hit by "fairy wind" and geting KOd..the shame of it. No more homophobic or sexist acusation pleases...

I don't like Sylveon's magical-girly fairyness. Gardevoir looks MUCH better as a natural fairy.

Personally, it would be pretty cool if Misdreavus/Mismagius were also part fairy-types.

Someone mentioned Celebi though, which IS a good point. I'm going to talk about the legendary pokémon similar to it getting a retype.

Well, for starters, I doubt Mew will. It's a psychic embryo LUCA thing. It's concept has pretty much nothing to do with folktales... in fact, given how heavily scientific it is, I'd say it is the furthest it could be from that.

Celebi is probably the one with a highest chance for a retype. It IS more close to folktales than psychic powers, it certainly has the fairy concept. Time travel doesn't say "psychic" to me in the slightlest... It's really an sprite guardian of the forest, surprisingly close to what a fairy would be.
So, if Gamefreak is up to entirely change a type rather than just add it, I'd say Celebi would definitely become a Grass/Fairy.

Jirachi... is a borderline case to me. It deppends on how you interpret wishing upon a star like (and wishes in general). On one hand, one could say they are thought and made with the mind, but on the other wishing has been the core of many folktales since ever, and the kind Tanabata is all about is closer to spiritual wishing (i.e. you're talking to the stars, to deities) than mental desire. But then again, the move Wish is Psychic...
Then the Steel typing comes up, but Steel is Jirachi's primary type, which I doubt is changing, and probably represents in some fashion its stellar origin.
So if they would not think twice in changing a type, maybe. (A Steel/Fairy would also give an unique type to Metagross, which would be good) But as it stands Jirachi most likely will stay as Steel/Psychic.

Manaphy... of course, this one is monotype, so by that alone it already has chance above everyone else. It is a sea angel, which are real animals seen as "ethereal-like" beings because of their look. Manaphy's story seems to me heavilly water-based to warrant a pure typing, but in-universe it seems to be a cryptid, almost like a folktale being.
So it and/or Phione could gain a Fairy type. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I also wouldn't wonder why they wouldn't.

The Lake Trio represent aspects of human psychology. So pure Psychic makes most sense to me.

... And I honestly don't know why is Victini Fire/Psychic. I can see the Fire part, which can be related both to simply its pokémon design AND to some victory-related mythology that has a Fire association. But I don't know the Psychic part of it... So I am not going to comment on it.
I will say though, that it is Junichi Masuda's favorite pokémon, so he will keep an eye for it and, if he wants it to change type or keep it, it will.

So by what I say, the likelyhood of being retyped to part-Fairy would go like: Celebi > Manaphy > Jirachi > Lake > Mew.

Although, one thing to note is that, while they have been reluctant in changing previous things, and that it is to a degree "difficult" they'd change a type as opposed to add it, they are introducing this already very late in the series, so there IS a heavy need to retcon several old pokémon to include this typing to relaively natural, if small, numbers.

tl;dr, I'm going to say that Celebi might have a chance at being actually re-typed, even if it is the only dual-type pokémon that does.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom