• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
I never got why they didn't name the Dark type "Evil type" in the first place. That's its actual name.

If you're wondering my preference, I would've liked Light to be a type.

I would probably consider the possibility of dropping the franchise if they have made a Light-type. I really hate the idea of a Light/Holy/Sacred/Whatever type. xD

Light is a bit too vague, especially since Dark doesn't mean literal darkness.

I think Light would probably mean "Holy" or something similar, which is, in my opinion, worse than literal light (luminosity).

I would probably consider the possibility of dropping the franchise if they have made a Light-type. I really hate the idea of a Light/Holy/Sacred/Whatever type. xD

Light is a bit too vague, especially since Dark doesn't mean literal darkness.

I think Light would probably mean "Holy" or something similar, which is, in my opinion, worse than literal light (luminosity).

Unlike most others, my idea of Light type wouldn't be "good" or "holy", but rather scientific. Actually, if both the "Light" type and the "Cosmic" type were both introduced instead of the Fairy type, it would make perfect sense. Space and light go hand in hand.
Oh well, maybe in the future.

Just out of curiosity, why?

I'm looking forward to the Fairy type mainly because it could be used to offensively balance other types. The only relation they've annaounced is Dragon, so we can probably expect more. In old Irish legend, the "fairies" can't touch iron, it burns them, so Steel has a potential new use in offensive slots. If they're based around nature, Poison could finally get a reason for it's attacks. The game has needed more balance. Who knows, maybe Ice will have more than one resistance?

Well, the old legends specifically referred to cold iron (whatever that means,) so if you streeeeeeetch it, it could mean that Ice is strong against Fairy.

I know, weak excuse, but let me have this!

Cold iron is an archaic term for iron, referring to the fact that it was cool to the touch.

Actually it's full name is "Cold-Forged Iron", meaning that it hasn't been shaped in a forge's fire. It's because smithing was seen as an arcane art, and therefore, arcane creatures would have protection from the arcanely made steel. So instead they either cold-beat the iron into shapes or carved it.

I'm looking forward to the Fairy type mainly because it could be used to offensively balance other types. The only relation they've annaounced is Dragon, so we can probably expect more. In old Irish legend, the "fairies" can't touch iron, it burns them, so Steel has a potential new use in offensive slots. If they're based around nature, Poison could finally get a reason for it's attacks. The game has needed more balance. Who knows, maybe Ice will have more than one resistance?

Well, the old legends specifically referred to cold iron (whatever that means,) so if you streeeeeeetch it, it could mean that Ice is strong against Fairy.

I know, weak excuse, but let me have this!

Cold iron is an archaic term for iron, referring to the fact that it was cool to the touch.

Actually it's full name is "Cold-Forged Iron", meaning that it hasn't been shaped in a forge's fire. It's because smithing was seen as an arcane art, and therefore, arcane creatures would have protection from the arcanely made steel. So instead they either cold-beat the iron into shapes or carved it.

Yeah, that's what it was.

Well, if they did, I would probably consider taking it up again. So I guess it evens out. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, why?

Light type/Holy type sounds like a whole copy of Digimon where there was the crest of light AND angel digimons existed. We don't need any concept ripoffs making monsters based on holy stuff. Besides, we've had enough religious problems as it is. We don't need to trigger anymore religious outbursts by introducing something 'holy'.

Light type/Holy type sounds like a whole copy of Digimon where there was the crest of light AND angel digimons existed. We don't need any concept ripoffs making monsters based on holy stuff. Besides, we've had enough religious problems as it is. We don't need to trigger anymore religious outbursts by introducing something 'holy'.

Oh dear God no. Please, no Light or Holy types. The type chart is on the verge of getting way to confusing as is.

Honestly, seeing how Game Freak explained the Fairy type at the E3 thing/transcripts, it seems like it was fairly strong process and it was really only to combat dragon. I can't see anymore types coming in for a very long time/ever again (depending how long the series lasts). We needn't worry about a holy/light type I don't think!

Honestly, seeing how Game Freak explained the Fairy type at the E3 thing/transcripts, it seems like it was fairly strong process and it was really only to combat dragon. I can't see anymore types coming in for a very long time/ever again (depending how long the series lasts). We needn't worry about a holy/light type I don't think!
They never said that balancing the stength of the Dragon type was the only reason for Fairy's introduction; it just inspired that decision. I doubt that Game Freak only care about the metagame. They didn't need to introduce both Dark and Steel just to balance Psychic, especially as Ghost and Bug were gradually becoming more viable.

Besides, Dragon is hardly the only type that needs balancing. It seems that Fairy is only going to give Steel more utility, and isn't going to affect Water at all. Then we have Ice and Grass, for which Fairy probably isn't going to do any favors.

Last edited:
They never said that balancing the stength of the Dragon type was the only reason for Fairy's introduction; it just inspired that decision. I doubt that Game Freak only care about the metagame.

Besides, Dragon is hardly the only type that needs balancing. It seems that Fairy is only going to give Steel more utility, and isn't going to affect Water at all. Then we have Ice and Grass, for which Fairy probably isn't going to do any favors.

I think I remember them phrasing it like 'we felt like we needed a type to balance out the dragon strength'. And in no way was that me referencing the metagame (but I guess it is in essence) - I don't think GameFreak only care for the metagame by any means, quite the contrary. And I'm fine with that because I don't care for the metagame.

And yeh even though Steel is pretty powerful, I think it's ok to have more powerful types, but obviously to them dragon was just too much. It's still going to be one of the most powerful types, just to a lesser extent.

I don't think giving Fairy a weakness to Steel is really that bad of a decision. It's a good type defensively, but on the offensive side, it only has type advantages to types that already have a lot of weaknesses to begin with (Rock and Steel). I'm also hope that it's weak to Poison, because that type is in the same boat in terms of offensive usefulness. The only type it's good against (Grass) is weak to 4 other more useful types.

Steel doesn't need a new weakness. It needs to shed about half its resistances instead.
I don't see that happening. Steel's resistances are an inherent feature of the type, just as high base stats and versatility are inherent to Dragon, which is why Game Freak preferred to introduce Fairy rather than retcon Dragon.

Bolt the Cat said:
To be fair though, most of Steel's weaknesses are pretty popular types.
That excuse may have sufficed up till now, but things are going to change (if only because Steel itself is going to become more popular offensively).

That excuse may have sufficed up till now, but things are going to change (if only because Steel itself is going to become more popular offensively).

As long as those types (particularly Fighting or Ground) aren't given any extra weaknesses or have their type advantages removed, they'll probably still be very popular. It depends on what specific changes they make, but I don't think any of the types that could successfully counter Steel will be less viable with the new type chart.

I can tell you, If Fairy is not SE on Fighting or at least resisting it then Fighting will be the new OP type by the next generation.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom