• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
If by Fairy they mean Fay or magical creatures the Golduck seems like a good Water/Fairy type as it is inspired by a Kappa. Just saying.

I never got why they didn't name the Dark type "Evil type" in the first place. That's its actual name.
Really, why? I guess it was to avoid telling the children that someone can be evil by nature? Like born evil? In Spain we called it "siniestro" (sinister), though... I think it's the only western language that doesn't call it "dark".

I would probably consider the possibility of dropping the franchise if they have made a Light-type. I really hate the idea of a Light/Holy/Sacred/Whatever type. xD

Just out of curiosity, why?

Light type/Holy type sounds like a whole copy of Digimon where there was the crest of light AND angel digimons existed. We don't need any concept ripoffs making monsters based on holy stuff. Besides, we've had enough religious problems as it is. We don't need to trigger anymore religious outbursts by introducing something 'holy'.

The Holy/Light type are both common enough in videogames (and other media), so it wouldn't sound like a copy of Digimon to me. Pokémon based on holy stuff already exist, anyway. Plus faeries are actually holy beings for some pagans.
I don't understand why a holy type in pokémon should upset anyone... But it probably would. xD I wouldn't really like light/holy type... but I could live with it.

It would be funny to see types actually called "light" and "dark" in Japan, though, just to see how the western languages would adapt the new "dark".

If by Fairy they mean Fay or magical creatures the Golduck seems like a good Water/Fairy type as it is inspired by a Kappa. Just saying.

It would be a Psychic type because of the name of its previous evolution and because gold is used to symbolize Psychic types.
Obviously, it wouldn't be Psychic, since it is not psychic. When has gold been used to symbolize Psychic types?

@FaerieStar; While the Dark type is the "Evil" type in Japan, it isn't exactly all about being demonic and brought from hell. I don't know much, but aside from Houndour and Houndoom, which are directly based on hell-hounds, none of the other Dark-types look particularly as if they were devils themselves. Sure, they look pretty cruel and brutal, but there are plenty of other types that share brutal looks as well, like the majority of the Ghost-types and Steel-types. They aren't 'devils', so there's no need for anything 'holy'.

What I meant as in light/holy type, is that we don't need pokemons that are all for good with a halo above their head - a.k.a, angels. Then, how are you going to distribute their moves? All of them having Heal Pulse, Healing Wish, Aromatherapy, maybe Natural Gift, and having Serene Grace as their basic abilities or something? A lot of the Normal-types already fit in that, and the recently introduced Fairy-types are sure to be more than enough to have 'holy' moves.

Just because all the other games have angels vs demons (holy vs evil) as a given basic within their games, doesn't necessarily mean Pokemon needs one as well.

What I meant as in light/holy type, is that we don't need pokemons that are all for good with a halo above their head - a.k.a, angels. Then, how are you going to distribute their moves? All of them having Heal Pulse, Healing Wish, Aromatherapy, maybe Natural Gift, and having Serene Grace as their basic abilities or something? A lot of the Normal-types already fit in that, and the recently introduced Fairy-types are sure to be more than enough to have 'holy' moves.

Just because all the other games have angels vs demons (holy vs evil) as a given basic within their games, doesn't necessarily mean Pokemon needs one as well.

For the record, Holy=/=healy. Light/holy/good based characters can be surprisingly violent. And the angels in biblical mythology were eldritch abomination warrior soldiers who would be outright terrifying for most humans and who had no problem getting their hands dirty. In fact, pretty much the only difference between an angel and a demon is their alignment (and that angels are usually stronger,) that's about it.

Angels have gotten a similar bad rep as Fairies have in recent years though, because when we picture an angel, we immediately default to a childlike cherub with big blue eyes and cutsey wings. In reality, an angel is more likely to nuke your ass with a beam of light similar to this one than to heal you with the power of pretty goodness.

All this to say that, no, I don't think all "Light" type Pokemon would have the healing moves and Serene Grace. In fact, I think Hyper Beam would be a closer approximation to what they'd do than Heal Pulse.

Furthermore, just like the Dark type, a potential Light type wouldn't even have to be all about angels and biblical allegories. They could just design monsters that would have a general feel of righteousness as opposed to the Dark type's general feel of doucheyness. You yourself gave an example of how GF has done this with the Dark type (with the only overtly 'biblical' Dark type being Houndoom.) I don't see how a Light type would be that much different.

With that said, I actually don't especially want a Light type in Pokemon, and I'm not crying over the fact that it didn't happen. I'm just pointing out that said type could have the potential to be very destructive and offensive, and wouldn't have to be relegated to a healing/support role.

It would be a Psychic type because of the name of its previous evolution and because gold is used to symbolize Psychic types.
Obviously, it wouldn't be Psychic, since it is not psychic. When has gold been used to symbolize Psychic types?

Gold Gummies?

And the angels in biblical mythology were eldritch abomination warrior soldiers who would be outright terrifying for most humans and who had no problem getting their hands dirty. In fact, pretty much the only difference between an angel and a demon is their alignment (and that angels are usually stronger,) that's about it.
Exact interpretations vary (a lot), but there's probably good reason that when angels visited humans they didn't exactly say "hello" -- they said "don't be afraid of me".

@Grass Type Warrior; I guess you're right. The angels in Digimon had been pretty powerful anyways. Though still, I'd say that angels were more shown to having healing powers, having protective powers, and having powers that prevent the innocent from turning evil. Only in the recent era that many different games and anime portrayed more aggressive holy attacks - notably in franchises featuring exorcism.

But, if 'holy' pokemon could be shown with powerful, destructive attacks, how would that be any different from god's divine power - a.k.a., Arceus' Judgment? It's going to be pretty hard drawing the line between the god pokemon and the 'holy/light' type pokemons... or is Arceus going to be retyped into a holy-type, in that case?

Well, we're not going to get any 'holy'-type anyways. It's pretty pointless to be discussing this when we've already got the fairy-type.

I don't think anyone is expecting an additional new type any time soon.

But down the line if they were going to introduce a new type, there's no question that light would be a great candidate, and the arguments against it are not exactly cogent. Seriously, someone needs to write down a rule that in pokémon, there's always going to be some "what about" exception somewhere, somehow. Time and time again those exceptions are shown to not be a barrier to game development in the least.

I'm not all that fond of additional types, currently. I'm going to have trouble remembering all the type match-ups and double-type match-ups without a guide with 18 single types and some absurd number of unique combinations. Blargh.

Plus, Light kind of makes me go bleh when there could be a much cooler type, like Nuclear or Royal or something like that. (Royal's a stupid one, but it's a little bit of a favorite of mine.)

It's not as if any type has a simple definition. Dark itself encompasses multiple concepts. And light need not be constrained by being merely a contrary to dark. The domain of archetypes in the light type would likely mirror the same themes used by the equivalent of the light type in other games and media.

Dark-types encompass cheating, dirty tricks, and malice. You can restrict Dark to those things.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Fairy types being super effective and immune to Dragon types. While I don't think that Dragon types, as overpowered as they can be, are as broken as Psychic types were in the first generation, it certainly wouldn't hurt and it would get more people interested in trying them out too. Plus, I really hope that Fairy types are weak to Poison since Poison needs something to be effective against badly. I could see Fairy types at least resisting Dark type moves too.

Dark-types encompass cheating, dirty tricks, and malice. You can restrict Dark to those things.

No. In fact, dark type's special and status moves reference actual darkness. And even if this were not the case, other types can incorporate complex themes in their meaning. Your criticism that the light type is too vague is pretty much baseless.

No. In fact, dark type's special and status moves reference actual darkness. And even if this were not the case, other types can incorporate complex themes in their meaning. Your criticism that the light type is too vague is pretty much baseless.

There are only two moves that are explicitly like that: Dark Void and Night Daze.

From the rumors it seems to have the same amount of disadvantages as dark (Pre fairy) plus one more resistence and one more SE. At the same time as being SE against dark. So if these rumors are true they are making things less balances unless pokemon themselves are horrible

There are only two moves that are explicitly like that: Dark Void and Night Daze.

And Dark Pulse. The other dark moves are, indeed, about playing dirty/cheating.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom