• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
I've discovered the trailer stats might be fucked up.

One shot of Fennekin shows it at Level. 5 with 55 HP (way beyond even Blissey), another picture (the Horde Battle against Tauros and Miltank) has it, like, Level. 20 or so with the same HP amount.

So, yeah, I'm guessing they don't really battle and record it, but use some sort of debug mode to film the trailers where they can fudge the rules.

I'm not sure what you mean.
If you mean that Gardevoir and Hydreigon could have had any stats that don't correspond to them... that doesn't matter, 100 hp would be not possible, anyway.
If you mean that they could have changed the damage calculation for the trailers, I don't see any reason why the would do that (although they might have changed the damage calculation for gen VI).
If you mean that they could have just pasted a "Super Effective" message and just choose the damage they would make... then that is possible... But it's unlikely that they didn't have the battle system implemented (at least in beta form) by the time of E3, so using the battle system would have been much easier for them.

Hmm...the background of Geomancy is looking a LOT like the environment of the reality screw gym.

All the info in CoroCoro this month sort of confirms what I've been thinking about the Fairy-type given that it seems that Fairy and Dark are opposed to each other in the version mascots. Namely that Fairy is simply the "Good/Light" Pokemon type, rather than being based on mythological fairies. I use light in the sense of personality rather than element, btws. I'm sure there WILL be Fairy-types that are literal fairies just like there are Dark-types that are literal darkness. But Fairy-type seems to revolve around personality like Dark-type's "evil". Regardless of if they have any type chart interactions, thematically they're counterparts.

Fairy-types are basically the Light/Gentle aspect of Pokemon made manifest ala the TCG.

I can see the reasoning behind this idea, but I also suspect that Fairy type will be more like tricksters than good-natured. Jigglypuff and Marill are quite mischievous, and although they are definitely not "evil" Pokemon they also get into a lot of trouble and really enjoy screwing with other people and their Pokemon. So I think we can't ignore the trickster aspect of fairies in mythology when thinking about the Fairy/Dark dichotomy!

Jigglypuff and Marill are quite mischievous, and although they are definitely not "evil" Pokemon they also get into a lot of trouble and really enjoy screwing with other people and their Pokemon.

Ain't that the truth
jiggly+draws.jpg

Jigglypuff and Marill are quite mischievous, and although they are definitely not "evil" Pokemon they also get into a lot of trouble and really enjoy screwing with other people and their Pokemon.

Ain't that the truth
HA! I absolutely love all the episodes with Jigglypuff in them. That one Jigglypuff. You know the one. With the marker it uses as a microphone. So awesome :D
jiggly+draws.jpg

After a lot of thought, Poison should be strong against Water, and Water should resist Poison.

Will Fairy-types and Dark-types be super effective against each other?

I do believe Fairy will be SE against Dark. (Since the formula and the choice of Hydreigon as the one Sylveon is beating in the artwork).
I'm not sure about Dark being SE against Fairy. It depends on whether Fairy will really represent goodness or not and, if Fairy does represent goodness, if they're going the "goodness always win" route or just the "A vs B" route.
My guess is that Fairy will be SE against Dark, but Dark won't be SE against Fairy.

I'm thinking it's the trailers fucking shit up, well, that Gardevoir was fast to outspeed that Hydreigon, anyways...

All the info in CoroCoro this month sort of confirms what I've been thinking about the Fairy-type given that it seems that Fairy and Dark are opposed to each other in the version mascots. Namely that Fairy is simply the "Good/Light" Pokemon type, rather than being based on mythological fairies. I use light in the sense of personality rather than element, btws. I'm sure there WILL be Fairy-types that are literal fairies just like there are Dark-types that are literal darkness. But Fairy-type seems to revolve around personality like Dark-type's "evil". Regardless of if they have any type chart interactions, thematically they're counterparts.

Fairy-types are basically the Light/Gentle aspect of Pokemon made manifest ala the TCG.

I can see the reasoning behind this idea, but I also suspect that Fairy type will be more like tricksters than good-natured. Jigglypuff and Marill are quite mischievous, and although they are definitely not "evil" Pokemon they also get into a lot of trouble and really enjoy screwing with other people and their Pokemon. So I think we can't ignore the trickster aspect of fairies in mythology when thinking about the Fairy/Dark dichotomy!
There are honorable Dark-types too, like Absol, Pangoro, and Mightyena -but the theme of the type is still mischief, trickery, evil and deceit. It's probably like that with the Fairy-type too.

There are honorable Dark-types too, like Absol, Pangoro, and Mightyena -but the theme of the type is still mischief, trickery, evil and deceit. It's probably like that with the Fairy-type too.

Though it is possible that the fairy type will represent goodness, there is only one fairy, Gardevoir, that we know to be truly good-natured. Most likely, Xerneas will be good-natured too, being the Creation pokémon and all, but that makes just 2 right now -less than honorable darks-. We can't really be sure of anything yet.

I think most fairies will be good natured. Marill saves pokemon that are drowning. Gardevoir gives her life for her trainer. Xerneas is the life pokemon. Spritzee has healer as its ability. Swirlix protects the others from sleep inducing moves.
Well, the game is about fighting, and fairies have to have damaging moves, but i think many fairy type moves will be about protecting others. Maybe safeguard, heal bell, softboiled will become fairy type moves.

Marill doesn't save drowning Pokémon. Azumarill is mentioned to do that though. Jigglypuff isn't particularily good-natured.

Still, 5 of the 8 fairy types revealed protect the othes/evolves to a pokemon that does so.

There's Cherrim with Flower Gift, there's Friend Guard (which Jigglypuff strangely loses upon evolving), and there's Rhydon's Lightningrod ability.

Still, 5 of the 8 fairy types revealed protect the othes/evolves to a pokemon that does so.

But Spritzee also has a move based on a kiss that drains life. It also uses substances to mesmerize others (which means that it deprives them from their will).
Swirlix has a move that traps pokémon by sticking them. It's ability just means that it keeps other awake. Although this might be helpful for its teammates, it's not something inherently good, specially since it sounds like he keeps the others awake through hyperglycemia. There's also that adorable impish look in its face when it attacks.
Azumarill is mentioned only once to be able to create air balloons that can save drowning pokémon. It's not like they devote their lives to protect others like Gardevoir do, they're just nice enough to not let you die.
So I wouldn't say there's 5 of them that are pure goodness. I think there's only Gardevoir confirmed and most likely Xerneas too. So 2 Pokémon that are good, 2 that can be helpful to teammates and 1 that's nice enough to not let you die.

Edit: by this I don't mean that I think it's impossible that Fairy is about goodness, I'm just saying that I think we don't have enough data to confirm that yet.

It seems like in the Gen VI games, there will be more than only a conflict between "good" and "evil". There's going to be a third game coming out.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom