• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Not with Sylveon's expected IV spread. Unless you think its base Speed is 110?
Expected IV spread? Sylveon was trained by Morimoto and Politoed was trained by a member of the Smash cast. There is no guarantee that either of them has max IVs, and since the difference in the base Speed is small, it is entirely possible that Sylveon has a higher IV that makes it faster than Politoed.

Not with Sylveon's expected IV spread. Unless you think its base Speed is 110?
Expected IV spread? Sylveon was trained by Morimoto and Politoed was trained by a member of the Smash cast. There is no guarantee that either of them has max IVs, and since the difference in the base Speed is small, it is entirely possible that Sylveon has a higher IV that makes it faster than Politoed.
Ah yeah, I misread your initial post. I see your point.

Politoed has the highest HP possible, so it's HP EV-trained with 31 IVs in HP. It's likely that all of the Pokémon were perfect IV Pokémon, but they had perfect EVs in two different stats.

[video=youtube;s55A51TUq84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s55A51TUq84[/video]

@3:56

When Sylveon hits Exeggutor, the message only reads the "Exeggutor has run out of energy (or rather, it fainted)," so it looks like Fairy isn't resisted by Psychic.

Or fairy is SE against grass?Oh, please, no... pokemon smash already sugest fairy is SE against ice, another type full of weaknesses...

I don't think there was any Dragon-type attacks in the demo, so we don't know that yet. Gabite knows Sand Tomb, Slash, Take Down and something else, I think? When they tested the games maybe Psychic did resist Fairy but they later changed it?

[video=youtube;s55A51TUq84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s55A51TUq84[/video]

@3:56

When Sylveon hits Exeggutor, the message only reads the "Exeggutor has run out of energy (or rather, it fainted)," so it looks like Fairy isn't resisted by Psychic.

We can notice that there is a difference of 14 levels between the two and Exeggutor has a low Spe.Defense, so the the resistance to fairy was useless.

Politoed has the highest HP possible, so it's HP EV-trained with 31 IVs in HP. It's likely that all of the Pokémon were perfect IV Pokémon, but they had perfect EVs in two different stats.
"Perfect IV" in a Trick Room team would mean 0 IV in Speed, wouldn't it?

"Perfect IV" in a Trick Room team would mean 0 IV in Speed, wouldn't it?

No. If Sylveon was EV-trained in speed, then it would normally be faster than Politoed, but the effects of Trick Room would make it move last. It's unlikely for Sylveon to have a high base speed stat.

- Exeggutor takes neutral damage from Fairy Wind, so either Grass or Psychic must be 2x weak against it for the other type to resist it.
- Grass is not listed as one of the types weak against Fairy in the rumors.
- Psychic is listed as one of the types that resist Fairy-type moves in the rumors.

WPM's leaker was inaccurate in either case.
Do we have any footage of Chespin taking Fairy hits?

Unfortunately we do not.

I have a theory, which may or may not have been mentioned by someone else.

RC59uLJ.jpg

Going back to the original eeveelution wheel when Sylveon was first revealed we can obviously see that the each eeveelution is directly opposite one that it is either strong or weak against it. Funnily enough, all the pokemon that are weak against their opposite type are on one side, while those who are stronger are on the other. Now this all well and good, but what about Jolteon and Sylveon who are smack bang in the middle?

Well they could simply be neutral to each other. However there's another aspect to it that I don't know if people picked up on was that directly across and below from Vaporeon are Flareon and Glaceon respectively, both of which are weak to water types. Then in the other corner is Leafeon which is weak to both Flareon and Glaceon. This creates another weakness/strength chain, but if we try to go from Jolteon to either Umbreon or Espeon we find that we just have a couple of types who are neutral to eachother. So if we can extend this chain to Sylveon we could suppose that both Dark and Psychic types have a neutral effect on Fairy types and vice versa.

But what about the Fairy and Electric type connection? Well if we look at where Jolteon sits he is in between two types who are strong against another type either opposite them or connected too them in a chain. Now we could also say the same with Sylveon but the Eeveelutions next to it are weak to two other Pokemon it links up with (Glaceon with Flareon and Vaporeon and Leafeon with Glaceon and Flareon). So with this information we could argue that Sylveon, and Fairy in general is weak against Electric.

So those are my two points: Fairy is weak against electric and neutral to dark and psychic. I could be wrong. I could be reading way to much into that image, but the relationships seem to make sense to me. Please feel free to post anything that proves me wrong with something that's been confirmed. From what I understand the only officially confirmed things about Fairy is that it's strong against dragons, but does half damage to fire.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom