• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
I would do anything just to have GF make Ice good defensively! It really sucks that I can't have a pokemon of my favorite type in my team. ;___;
Do i have to go quoting Karen around here? there's nothing wrong with ice types in the team :) so long as you have counters to their counters available... which a competitive team would have anyhow. it would be nice to see ice get some balanicng though, along with poison and steel. but fairy attacks weak against ice? its plausible.... especially if the posion and steel weakness rumours are true.
Ok, but I just wish that ice could resist a few more types. No matter what kind of a move ice is being attacked with, it always scares the hell out of me lol.
Hope that ice will resist both dragons and fairies. Or just lift the rock weakness.

Ok, but I just wish that ice could resist a few more types. No matter what kind of a move ice is being attacked with, it always scares the hell out of me lol.
Hope that ice will resist both dragons and fairies. Or just lift the rock weakness.

fair point. as previously stated im down for fairy being resisted by ice :D i think rock should still beat it though.

fair point. as previously stated im down for fairy being resisted by ice :D i think rock should still beat it though.

Glad to hear that more ppl are in favor ice possibly resisting fairies. :)
I wish I would one day be able to create a full team of my precious ice type lol

I dont think ice will resist fairy because pokemon smash in fact sugests ice is weak against fairy, because sylveon breaks down ice easily, and the guy even says she is quite strong against ice.

I dont think ice will resist fairy because pokemon smash in fact sugests ice is weak against fairy, because sylveon breaks down ice easily, and the guy even says she is quite strong against ice.

If this is the case, then this would be the manifestation of terror itself lol

I would do anything just to have GF make Ice good defensively! It really sucks that I can't have a pokemon of my favorite type in my team. ;___;
Do i have to go quoting Karen around here? there's nothing wrong with ice types in the team :) so long as you have counters to their counters available... which a competitive team would have anyhow. it would be nice to see ice get some balanicng though, along with poison and steel. but fairy attacks weak against ice? its plausible.... especially if the posion and steel weakness rumours are true.

I'd be happy with Ice resisting ANY TYPE. As of now, it resists NOTHING BUT ITSELF.

I trust that Gamefreak isn't dumb enough to make Ice weak to another type.

A more recent skit implied that Ice resisted Fairy. But I wouldn't trust Smash at all given the discrepancy.

Maybe the first skit was Sylveon using a type of move that was strong against Ice, while the second one was Sylveon being weak against an Ice-type move.

Maybe the first skit was Sylveon using a type of move that was strong against Ice, while the second one was Sylveon being weak against an Ice-type move.
I really doubt that Fairy and Ice are both effective against each other. Besides, the second skit showed that Sylveon had a very hard time crushing the ice, which isn't the same thing as being hit by ice.

I really doubt that Fairy and Ice are both effective against each other. Besides, the second skit showed that Sylveon had a very hard time crushing the ice, which isn't the same thing as being hit by ice.

I thought the ice was already crushed.

Perhaps the type interactions with Fairy were still being decided until recently? They haven't come out and said anything other than Fairy beats Dragon, so they're basically free to change what Fairy does until they start printing game cards. That's pretty much the feeling I got from the Smash skits.

I thought the ice was already crushed.
I misremembered it slightly. Sylveon tried to swallow the ice cubes, but ended up spitting them out. I suppose it's a matter of interpretation, but to me this implies that it can't penetrate ice rather than being weak to it. Either way, I doubt that the types are effective against each other.

A fairy runs into a Dragon, the Dragon will use it's most effective move, which will most likely be something the Fairy type is weak against, therefore it won't even matter, in the end.
But we don't know Fairy's weaknesses. Bets are on Poison and Steel, two types that Dragons don't have all that much access to (unlike Fire and Rock which handily beats down any Ice types who dare to even think about stepping in front of a Dragon).

In that case the Fairy type would be better off if it was weak against types that aren't common in the Dragon type's movepool. Either the Dragon type will have moves that are super effective against the Fairy type, which wouldn't mean much that the Fairy type could resist Dragon type moves anyway, or the Fairy type will be weak against types not commonly found in the Dragon's movepool, which would end up helping the Fairy type out even more than just resisting the Dragon type.

Maybe shoko was just playing with us and those skits doesnt have anything to do with the type interactions. At the end of the first skit, she said she actually felt bad
with that poisonous thing, she was not pretending sylveon is weak against poison.Maybe smash guys dont even know fairy weaknesses.

Didn't a message pop up saying "it's super effective?!"

Although granted, that skit was in May. They might've changed some interactions since then.

Yeah, there was a message saying "its super effective?", but shoko said she really felt bad, she wasnt pretending she was felling bad because of sylveon's weakness.

Obviously the Shoko type is both weak to and strong against ice, in addition to being weak to poison. Fairy type, not sure.

Perhaps the type interactions with Fairy were still being decided until recently? They haven't come out and said anything other than Fairy beats Dragon, so they're basically free to change what Fairy does until they start printing game cards. That's pretty much the feeling I got from the Smash skits.

We know Fire resists Fairy now, too, which iirc was mentioned in the PokeBeach Rumors. At this point, I'm thinking most, if not all, of the other Type interactions that were listed there are probably true. Of course, this is assuming GF didn't tinker with the mechanics after the leak to change the interactions to make the rumors false, which I REALLY don't see happening.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom