• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Yeah, and neat new abilities that aren't just interesting gimmicks but actually useful would be nice.

It is so odd. Gamefreak seems to be grossly overestimating the power of Ice type moves in every generation so far. I hope they realize how much that has made Ice a joke in actual battles. If not, ah well. There is always gen 7!

Welp, even if nothing happens with Ice at least we know that Gamefreak is open to changing past types. I mean, we saw in gen 1-2 but that was more of a bug fix.

yeah they could have thought it would be too much to change all that in one generation. Want to give us a chance to get used to Fairy before they do anything else drastic.

corocoro91311.jpg

Admittedly a bit saddening.
So we're hoping abilities, moves and stats fix the Ice type now it seems :V

Good job, Game Freak. Metagross, Bronzong, and Jirachi will have to worry about Dark and Ghost-types now.

I had hoped that water would be made weak to Poison and Ice would have gained a resistance or two.

Good job, Game Freak. Metagross, Bronzong, and Jirachi will have to worry about Dark and Ghost-types now.
There is the (surprisingly logical) theory that Jirachi will be Psychic/Fairy now.
Brozong and Metagross...honestly I'm okay with them gaining weaknesses.

I think the lost of those two resistances benefits the type chart more.

I just don't know what possessed GameFreak to nerf bug while buffing fire.

Was it because they wanted to protect three generations of fire/fighting pokemon?

Fire is a type with more advantages then disadvantages. Bug, while defensively containing both 3 advantages and 3 disadvantages, now will offensively have 3 advantages and 7 disadvantages.

I'd reverse the fire/bug situation if I could. And replace dark's new weakness with ghost.

I'm pretty happy that both dark and ghost are losing their NE against steel though.

I had hoped that water would be made weak to Poison and Ice would have gained a resistance or two.

I think Game Freak has intentionally designed the game so that none of the three starter types would share a weakness.

There is the (surprisingly logical) theory that Jirachi will be Psychic/Fairy now.

I doubt Game Freak would change any of the current dual type pokemon's types. Mega Charizard is Fire/Flying.

I was thinking about type effectiveness and came into a realization about the reasoning behind Fairy being weak to Steel. In many mythologies and tradition, mystical creatures such as fairies and elves are depicted as being weak to iron, which is the major component of steel. Poison is likely because they represent spirits of nature, and poison and pollution is destructive to nature. Strength against Dark is probably because fairies, as being of light, are able to defeat the powers of darkness. Not sure about Fire and Bug's effeciveness reasoning though.

I was thinking about type effectiveness and came into a realization about the reasoning behind Fairy being weak to Steel. In many mythologies and tradition, mystical creatures such as fairies and elves are depicted as being weak to iron, which is the major component of steel. Poison is likely because they represent spirits of nature, and poison and pollution is destructive to nature. Strength against Dark is probably because fairies, as being of light, are able to defeat the powers of darkness. Not sure about Fire and Bug's effeciveness reasoning though.
I may or may not have learned about the iron thing from Supernatural...

But yeah, makes sense!

It's a bit frustrating they actually retconned some existing matchups but didn't take the opportunity to alter stuff like water/poison or anything with the ice type. They let that opportunity just slip through their fingers.

Oh my beloved ice! U r complety and utterly useless now!!!!! Not even one more resistence! Might as well just remove the whole type. And wow bug is also resisted? Lol I am honestly speechless.

You know what I would have done? Not given Fairy the monopoly on Dragon slaying:

Fairy: SE against Dragon, resist dragon
Steel: Gain SE against Dragon, resist Dragon
Ice: SE against Dragon, resist Dragon

We'd have a trio of Dragon-slaying types. I honestly don't understand why Steel isn't SE to Dragon considering the whole Knights vs Dragons thing.....but I guess only fairy-enchanted metallic weapons work, right? Would this have gone too far? I don't know. Personally, I think a type being immune is worse than two resists and an additional weakness to an uncommon attacking type.

It's a bit frustrating they actually retconned some existing matchups but didn't take the opportunity to alter stuff like water/poison or anything with the ice type. They let that opportunity just slip through their fingers.

Game Freak wouldn't make two of the starter types weak to the same type.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom