• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
I find it very unlikely there was a mistake and that Ice really resists Fairy, it would be nice, but I don't think so. It is bad that Ice gained no resistances but I doubt there were any errors. The game is likely never going to be completely balanced, as bad as it is for Ice types, I think Game Freak's intent is not to have everything completely balanced and some types are not going to be as great as others.

As mentioned in my previous post, I am just hoping that maybe it is a typo. And I do agree that some types are simply better than others, sadly.

I'm still sort of hoping there will be a hail buff, or new Ice type abilities that helps the ice users a little. Not expecting any typo though, that is stretching it a bit.

I'm unsure right now if I would call the type chart more balanced though, it feels more like the balance has simply shifted to other things.

I'm unsure right now if I would call the type chart more balanced though, it feels more like the balance has simply shifted to other things.
This. literally this.
I can already imagine GF next gen announcing the introduction of a new type to balance fairy and ghost ( if it gets good moves) and then this cycle of horror would repeat itself.

Ok, seriously now, why is this so hard to believe? I'm not saying it will happen I'm just saying it might be. And also marketing stunts happen all the time. I personally don't belive that they " accidentally " put Torimian in the ND video..come on now a worldwide video and they don't even double check it before broadcast? Same similar thing happened in the French site too. so a typo would not be that hard to believe.

Any chance coro coro had a typo and ice is aactually buffed this gen?
And does anyone know what is the reaction of the Japanese audience ( target audience) in regards to the type chart? I bet they are raging with anger!!!

I honestly am hoping the same thing. That they remembered the Steel changes, but forgot to edit the Ice type's match up. >_>

what if corocoro deliberately did this to make ppl rage and before release we can get a sorry there was a typo kind of message? GF and nintendo would do anything to market the games, right?

So I don't think Bug really is going to take that bad of a hit. It still nails Dark types better than Fighting types for STAB, which admittedly isn't a wonderful thing, but they aren't weak to neither Psychic nor Fairy. More importantly, they also resist Ground, which thanks to its perfect pairing with Fairy it will be useful.

They take Rock damage, sure, but not being weak to Fairy nor Poison AND resisting Ground seems useful to write them off as "useless".

The type will lose most its main offensive pressence though, which revolved in the Psychic and Dark SE. There are still many Psychic legendaries though, so not all is lost there either.

I'd say Grass is in more trouble, being weak to the better Poison offense.
How is bug better at beating evil than fighting? Fighting is both SE and resist evil, while bug is only SE. Besides, fighting is SE against other 4 types and is is not weak to rock so go figure.
Ice will go instinct because there is practically no reason for it anymore. and before anyone says dragons with X4 weakness, I'd like to remind you that fairies and ice beam spearheaded waters types will be waaaaay safer than ice especially if now steel types will rise into prominence.
Bugs will go extinct too. as evil is now checked by fairies that are also strong against fighting ( that resists bug)
Grass will go extinct too as it's got no practical use being walled by 7 types and all of the types its SE against have far more "safe to use" check.

please go on sir so i can chuckle at your stupidity.

poison gets a niche: bulkier counter to fairys *sp.def and all*
Stupidity? ok, that's mature.

Could you care to explain how the type chart is balanced now then?

@ Zeta: so they can't like stick special ground moves on them now? if anything Geocontrol seems to be a ground type now too thanks to the ???
Also, even if flying and bugs are resisted to fighting, this never seemed to be a problem because fighting and ground both learn rock type moves. there is a reason why we only find few pokemon from those types in the metagame.

poison gets a new resistance and becomes the best counter possible to because of they're high sp.def

steel loses 2 resistance, one type which has no prominence in OU, but gains a resistance to fairy (still good but not as great as a counter as poison)

fighting gains a weakness which is necessary because it has one of the most diverse movepools (some fighters lean poison jab and almost all learn a steel move

bug gets a type that resists it, still a good counter for the soon-to-be metagross counters in umbreon

fire gets a resistance (which i think is pure aesthetic because fairys apparently equal nature and fire destroys natu re

so yes, amuse me more.

Wow Condrats, you have just stated the obvious! What about ice then? and grass? and flying? and bug? To balance the chart is to give all the 18 types equal chances. and this is hardly the case.
You know what amuses me? your inability to address strangers with civility. I know that people tend to "temporarily" forget their etiquette on line, but this is simply atrocious.

My point is fairy is weak to 2 types only that are both weak to one common type. It is not that hard to believe that fairies most probably start having special ground type moves in their move pools as well. and geocontrol ( while exclusive to Xerneas) does give some sort of a hint that fairies will be able to use ground moves as a theme.

You are contradicting yourself here. You're saying Fairies have nothing to fear if they learn Ground moves. Well, Pokemon that aren't Steel or Poison can learn Poison and Steel moves.

That's kinda true, but it is also true that fairies can pack all of their fears in one bag, unlike dragons now for example. Remember that I'm talking about the metagame here not in game battles.

don't fix something that is'nt broken.

grass is a glass cannon, hits types, gets hit by types. grass is the biggest counter to politoeds and other waters in ou

ice and bug are the same for grass, hit the type they're ment to hit hard, get hit hard by other types.

That's kinda true, but it is also true that fairies can pack all of their fears in one bag, unlike dragons now for example.

Er, dragons are weak to Ice and Fairy, both of which are countered by Steel attacks. So it's the same situation.

That's kinda true, but it is also true that fairies can pack all of their fears in one bag, unlike dragons now for example.

Er, dragons are weak to Ice and Fairy, both of which are countered by Steel attacks. So it's the same situation.

inb4 steel/dragon pseudo legendary's, and next gen 3 pokemon steel/dragon

I think Fairy will be a favourite of mine once it's fully settled into the type chart. It's an all around great type and will see much use.

On my beloved Ice type however ... I think it's no surprise that it didn't get anything new, but it's all the more reason for me to continue being an Ice type Master. Just to make an example I think my first X playthrough (the second playthrough after finishing Y) will be an Ice mono run

don't fix something that is'nt broken.

grass is a glass cannon, hits types, gets hit by types. grass is the biggest counter to politoeds and other waters in ou

ice and bug are the same for grass, hit the type they're ment to hit hard, get hit hard by other types.

The type chart is broken. They introduced the fairy type specifically for this reason.

By introducing fairy ( and not fixing ice) there is absolutely no need to use ice any more. the why is this hard to understand is beyond me. And we are talking about the ice type pokemon themselves not the moves just FYI

Edit: @ Zeta, wow so now dragons are neutral against themselves? Did we see the same type chart? or do you just want to disagree with everything I post?

Last edited:
Forgive me for knowing nothing, but what exactly makes Ice pokes so useless? I was under the impression that it was just that they're so lackluster, not the type in itself. I know it has next to the most amount of weaknesses. Only Grass has more. I think it would be really limited to think that the ONLY thing Ice was useful for was dealing with dragons. (although everything else it hits has a lot more common counters) I don't think they factor in stats with how the types work, though. Be that as it may, competitive is not the only thing here. Like it or not, there will still be people who still use Ice even if the competitive mongers don't. It can still counter dragons even if it's not as good at it as Fairy. It can still counter all those other types even if there are others that are easier to find. It's all a matter of preference. Fairy may not even do what it is touted as in the long run. Sylveon sure isn't going to kill a lot of dragons as it is.

or you can realize that ice was made to counter dragon

and that ice countering dragon did'nt work so they added fairy

fairy is a ice 2.0 that has different weaknesses to make it good

Edit: @ Zeta, wow so now dragons are neutral against themselves? Did we see the same type chart? or do you just want to disagree with everything I post?

I didn't think it was worth mentioning, since every Dragon-type is going to learn a Dragon-type move for STAB and to deal with other dragons. Just slap a Steel-type move on a Dragon as well and call it a day.

or you can realize that ice was made to counter dragon

and that ice countering dragon did'nt work so they added fairy

fairy is a ice 2.0 that has different weaknesses to make it good
To quote you " please go on sir so I could chuckle at your stupidity".

I didn't think it was worth mentioning, since every Dragon-type is going to learn a Dragon-type move for STAB and to deal with other dragons. Just slap a Steel-type move on a Dragon as well and call it a day.
My point was that dragons are weak to themselves while fairies arent. Maybe dragons werent a good example, but fighting is. If fairy ends up having great stats and good moves then it is going to be OP. Nuff said.

Quit being antagonistic with each other guys.

Seriously though, I guess the one good thing about Bug and Ice going extinct is a Grass pokemon might not be killed on sight when it enters a battle.

Poison and Fire disagree.

After getting the Fairy type's match-ups, I'm even more hopeful that Mismagius, Milotic and Meganium become part Fairy. Also Togekiss, but I'm less convinced it will change with it already being a dual-type. :/

Why Milotic? It doesn't seem like it has much to gain from getting Fairy besides the obvious. Unless you're referring to it gaining an advantage against Dragon.

Also, Meganium gaining Grass/Fairy is great and all as long as you're fine with it being Poison fodder, because it would gain a x4 weakness (let that sink in for a minute... x4 weakness to Poison. There's something we never thought we'd see after 1st gen).

And I want that Fairy/Flying Togekiss, and I don't think it being dual type is enough reason to discount it seeing as Normal is a default type that is easily replaceable.

Still weak to Fighting and Ground, although that combination might be OP offensively.

Forgive me for knowing nothing, but what exactly makes Ice pokes so useless? I was under the impression that it was just that they're so lackluster, not the type in itself. I know it has next to the most amount of weaknesses. Only Grass has more. I think it would be really limited to think that the ONLY thing Ice was useful for was dealing with dragons. (although everything else it hits has a lot more common counters) I don't think they factor in stats with how the types work, though. Be that as it may, competitive is not the only thing here. Like it or not, there will still be people who still use Ice even if the competitive mongers don't. It can still counter dragons even if it's not as good at it as Fairy. It can still counter all those other types even if there are others that are easier to find. It's all a matter of preference. Fairy may not even do what it is touted as in the long run. Sylveon sure isn't going to kill a lot of dragons as it is.

A lot of Water types can learn Ice type moves, and since Water type has better defensive coverage, you're actually better off doing this. There's not much reason to use the actual Pokemon because the STAB isn't worth the poor coverage. This is all nothing new, but Fairy's introduction makes it worse because it has an immunity to Dragon moves, making it a much more attractive defensive counter to Dragons.

A lot of Water types can learn Ice type moves, and since Water type has better defensive coverage, you're actually better off doing this. There's not much reason to use the actual Pokemon because the STAB isn't worth the poor coverage. This is all nothing new, but Fairy's introduction makes it worse because it has an immunity to Dragon moves, making it a much more attractive defensive counter to Dragons.

Again though, it doesn't really make things that much worse since Water Ice Beam was more usually used as a counter to Dragons. There were no reasons to use Ice before and none to use it now.

To quote you " please go on sir so I could chuckle at your stupidity".

My point was that dragons are weak to themselves while fairies arent. Maybe dragons werent a good example, but fighting is. If fairy ends up having great stats and good moves then it is going to be OP. Nuff said.

and dragons were'nt op before fairy? psychic was'nt op before dark and steel? if nintendo makes a op type, they add a new type to balance it

Milotic is in the Water 1 and Dragon egg groups. Therefore, Milotic will probably not be retyped to Fairy.

Poison and Fire disagree.

After getting the Fairy type's match-ups, I'm even more hopeful that Mismagius, Milotic and Meganium become part Fairy. Also Togekiss, but I'm less convinced it will change with it already being a dual-type. :/

Why Milotic? It doesn't seem like it has much to gain from getting Fairy besides the obvious. Unless you're referring to it gaining an advantage against Dragon.

Also, Meganium gaining Grass/Fairy is great and all as long as you're fine with it being Poison fodder, because it would gain a x4 weakness (let that sink in for a minute... x4 weakness to Poison. There's something we never thought we'd see after 1st gen).

And I want that Fairy/Flying Togekiss, and I don't think it being dual type is enough reason to discount it seeing as Normal is a default type that is easily replaceable.

Still weak to Fighting and Ground, although that combination might be OP offensively.

give it levitate

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom