• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
@TFerro

You did said that people finding a trickery theme in the Fairy type is mostly resorting to whisful-thinking instead of basing their views on GF's presentation of the type. I responded with the pieces of information and parts of GF's presentation that people use to support their points. Those facts are there, noone's making up stuff or basing their views on others unconfirmed assumptions. Just because some see things in a different way than you do, doesn't mean they're being delusional/whisful-thinkers/whatever you want to call it. We're all speculating, after all.

Fighting types are a step away from normal type in my mind when dealing with the super natural (like your average human being or something), they would be beaten for the same reason fairies are always jerking us humans around in the folk lore associated with them.

I hadn't realized that Fighting is weak against all the main supernatural types o_O I find it pretty interesting.

I specifically and purposefully use phrases like "In my opinion" or "I think that" to emphasis that what I am saying is an opinion, a personal judgement, and therefor fallible.
I don't tell people they are absolutely wrong or insult them for their opinions, even if my opinion might not be what they want it to be.

I'm fine with your criticism and discussion, and I've responded how I wanted to. (It's two below yours if you didn't see it.)

I've also mentioned and noted ways in which the Fairy type differs from my concerned future for it(Like Mawile). Even before you started responding to me.

However, I still feel that the grim dark spin people keep finding in Fairy is mostly a projection of their own wants, and it is being heavily outweighed by a comic, cutesy theme meant to be presented as benevolent and playful.
And I take no issue if that is what people like.

My last post was not aimed at you.

I don't really think I'm personally seeing it as a grim dark thing, more as just the nature of fairies in general. Some are naughty and some are nice, and yeah many that game freak have made look "nice" (and pink and cuddly), and they've been giving attacks that are "silly".

When it comes right down to it, they can probably be seen as either depending on how any individual person decides to characterize their pokemon or the species or whatever. Charm might be a friendly and innocent thing from a nice babu fairy, but from another it might not be so well intentioned.

It is pretty fun to try to rationalize things like how a cute little sprites power driving dragons though, and I will probably continue it as a thought experiment once I learn more fairy type attacks. (and if I don't forget about it, or get bored I might draw a few for pure entertainment value of drawing cute things cutely destroying dragons).

I dunno what anyone else is trying to say, but I think I'm mostly going at it from a duality perspective, anything can be used for good or evil, even if it's cutesy and super ridiculous.

My take on the basis for fairy type is the same as any other type. It's whatever Gamefreak wants, and each type encompasses multiple things. Take poison, for instance. Not only does it involve literal poison, but also harmful chemicals. I mean, I wouldn't consider "acid" to be poisonous, but it is a poison-type move nonetheless. Flying not only deals with pokemon that fly (no-brainer) but also pokemon that manipulate wind, like Jumpluff and Mantine. And Gyarados, for whatever reason. I don't understand that one at all, but it's what they made it, so it fits. Even types that would seem extremely obvious have some other elements within, such as fire. There are pokemon that are mainly fire type because of the heat they give off, and even pokemon associated with magma, which isn't fire at all, it's just hot.

So, I realy think the developers can put whatever they want into the fairy type, an that's what the fairy type will become. Hell, they could retype Machamp to be fighting/fairy, and though I myself and nobody on earth but the creators would know why, that would become part of what fairy is. (God no, if that happens, just... No.)

Another way to think about Fairy type is that they are Fairytales, emphasize on the Tales. Fairytales is associated with childhood, hence the cute and kisses, fanfare, child play. Moon Blast could just refer to the fact that Fairytales are often told at bedtime. Not that fairy doesn't have connection with the moon but they are more associated with the seasons and holidays.

And remember that Pokemon is originally a game that target kids, although I doubt that any kid would truly comprehend the depth of the game.

P.S. could also explain why they are not very effective against fire. Fire = the sun, most people don't read fairytales to kids during the day.

Last edited:
Sometimes I really wish that rumor about it being the Marchen / Fairytale Type had been true.

Where is it stated that people only tell fairy tales when it's night? The fairy tales I was told to as a kid were all told in day. I hardly doubt that nighttime stories are common perception.

Where is it stated that people only tell fairy tales when it's night? The fairy tales I was told to as a kid were all told in day. I hardly doubt that nighttime stories are common perception.

You never heard of bedtime stories?
Obviously people can tell stories in the daytime but nighttime stories to put kids to sleep are incredibly common.

It's common in the media. Drama, anime, shows, yadayada. I know for me fairytales is not at night because I read them all myself like text books. But at least I think nighttime stories is a common perception, or else why would it appear on many TV shows. Feel free to disagree, because all this logic are all from fan perspective, seriously, GF should pay us for trying to straighten out their logic. lol.

You never heard of bedtime stories?
Obviously people can tell stories in the daytime but nighttime stories to put kids to sleep are incredibly common.

Well of course I know about bed time stories. But I was referring to fairy tales specifically. Bed time stories come in numerous forms, not just stories of fantasy or magic.

Well of course I know about bed time stories. But I was referring to fairy tales specifically. Bed time stories come in numerous forms, not just stories of fantasy or magic.
That's true but fairy tales are probably one of the most common bedtime story. Second only to "whatever is on the shelf!".

Even still, I highly doubt bed time stories are of any inspiration to Moon Blast and such. It may just be more the common conception that some fairies and other similar mythical creatures appear at night.

I think looking for logic in Fairy vs Fire might be as reasonable as looking for logic in Fighting vs Bug. Bugs resist Fighting? Why? Well there was an ancient legend of the land of Bullshittia that says that bugs are immune to karate!

Even still, I highly doubt bed time stories are of any inspiration to Moon Blast and such. It may just be more the common conception that some fairies and other similar mythical creatures appear at night.

I would have thought it was more to do with some Fairie's inherent connections with nature. Things like nyads and dryads, elves, gnomes, pixies, and even witches are shown to have a very strong connection to nature. The moon has strong ties to natural forces too, and if you look at pagan religions it bears heavy significance.

I'm just gonna throw this out there. Faeries lore has a strong tie to Paganism. Paganism has very strong ties to the moon. I'm not gonna go into too much detail, but it's a theory.

Wow, paganism, now you guys are sounding like that guy who proposed that the Mega are based on Norse mytho.

Um, it's basic fairy lore that the fairies come out and dance in the night of the full moon. This happens even in Pokemon already - the Clefairy do it at Mt. Moon.

Like I said that's just the thing that comes to mind. You connect the things you know to the things you see, and faeries are rooted in Paganism. Just sayin.

All this discussion about fairytales has made want to reread the annotated Hans Christan Anderson :D
Now I know what book I have to read after I finish the divine comedy xd

I'm still convinced Moon Blast is Sylveons signature move. It is obviously based on Sailor Moon. Hence it is connected in some way to the moon. Not the fairy type itself. Just Sylveon.

Didn't Xerneas use Moon Blast in one of the various trailers of the games?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom