• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
It's been confirmed via the Global Link website that the Lake trio, Cresselia, Mismagius, Celebi, Manaphy and Meloetta haven't been retconned. The website displays the details of any trade (even before it happens), so you can ask for any Pokémon and check its types on the website. Do note that this doesn't work for Diancie, Volcanion or Hoppa.

I've also personally tested Glalie, which is unchanged. I think that the only other feasible candidates are Milotic, Cherrim, Mew, Jirachi, Shaymin and Victini. But I doubt that they've changed when the above haven't; Game Freak's criteria leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
At this point, I'm fairly certain the only ones they changed were the ones they put in the game, which is a shame.

I think Whimiscott is now Grass/Fairy and I don't think Whimiscott is in any Kalos Pokedex.

I'm personally loving this new type, I now see people using dragon types less (which got a bit annoying).

However, is it just me or has Fairy just became the new overpowered type. Steel and Poison are rarely used offensively (espicially Poison).

I think Whimiscott is now Grass/Fairy and I don't think Whimiscott is in any Kalos Pokedex.

I'm personally loving this new type, I now see people using dragon types less (which got a bit annoying).

However, is it just me or has Fairy just became the new overpowered type. Steel and Poison are rarely used offensively (espicially Poison).

^This. Fairy is pretty much the new Dragon honestly.

IIRC, the most competitively useful non-mega Fairy we have is Togekiss? Many Fairies are still pretty common and weak, and we don't have a Fairy pseudo legend. Plus Steel and Poison weren't really use offensively was because they had didn't have much they were SE against. (Steel was SE against Rock and Ice, so Fighting already covered it. Poison is still pretty crap, but giving it an advantage over Fairy can help it.)

Highly doubit it. Dragon type was strong not because of the type itself but because of the pokemon themselves. Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Hydreigon and Haxorus are some of the most powerful pokemon in existence. There's hardly any good Fairy type pokemon stats wise with the exception of Gardevoir, Azumarill, Togekiss, Sylveon and probably Florges and Mega Mawile but these don't compared to those five dragons i mentioned, at least in competitive battling.

Highly doubit it. Dragon type was strong not because of the type itself but because of the pokemon themselves. Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Hydreigon and Haxorus are some of the most powerful pokemon in existence. There's hardly any good Fairy type pokemon stats wise with the exception of Gardevoir, Azumarill, Togekiss, Sylveon and probably Florges and Mega Mawile but these don't compared to those five dragons i mentioned, at least in competitive battling.

Well I can't really say in terms of competitive battling.

...but Dragon were only weak to itself and Ice. Using Dragons is a gamble and most Ice types are pretty slow compared to Dragon (not to mention that Dragon does normal damage to Ice) and some Dragons can know flamethrower. Fairy was a good edition to balance it but I still feel like they are a tad overpowered.

Well I can't really say in terms of competitive battling.

...but Dragon were only weak to itself and Ice. Using Dragons is a gamble and most Ice types are pretty slow compared to Dragon (not to mention that Dragon does normal damage to Ice) and some Dragons can know flamethrower. Fairy was a good edition to balance it but I still feel like they are a tad overpowered.
With most of the strong steel types having Bullet Punch and now Gengar can use Sludge Bomb more effectively i doubt Fairy type is going to be overpowered and also Ice type had Ice Shard to deal with the Dragons and it's still a really good move to be used in defeating them.

I love that we have a Grass/Fairy type because it makes Poison even more useful.

IIRC, the most competitively useful non-mega Fairy we have is Togekiss? Many Fairies are still pretty common and weak, and we don't have a Fairy pseudo legend. Plus Steel and Poison weren't really use offensively was because they had didn't have much they were SE against. (Steel was SE against Rock and Ice, so Fighting already covered it. Poison is still pretty crap, but giving it an advantage over Fairy can help it.)

Yeah, I think Togekiss and Sylveon are really the only viable non-legendary and non-mega Fairies. Poison and Steel have plenty of Pokemon that are great statswise, for Poison we have stuff like Crobat, Gengar, Drapion, and maybe Nidoking, and for Steel we have stuff like Lucario, Bisharp, Excadrill, and Metagross.

We really need better Fairies.

...So I guess I'm the only one that found that Florges is a beast? Or maybe my Florges just had good stats...

I guess I can't consider any Pokemon weak, I like to use Spritzee and Swirlix and don't plan on an evolution :p.

Well I see that a few Fairies have high stat totals but I still find others with lower useful (Dedenne is an example).

Fairy isn't overpowered. Like, not even close.

The general consensus from the early stages of the metagame is that they have had a subtle yet definite influence on the metagame, without being dominant or centralising. Which is more or less exactly what most competitive players predicted would happen.

Togekiss, Mawile and Azumarill are the only fairies that have a solid offensive role in the metagame, and while powerful they still have their flaws. Sylveon, Florges and Clefable have strong supporting niches, but being geared toward special walling hampers their ability to counter the physical threats their typing is designed to beat.

tl;dr, they're useful, yet balanced.

Ok, now I'm seeing the picture.

...but more powerful fairies (like pseudo-legendary) would throw off this balance.

Ok, now I'm seeing the picture.

...but more powerful fairies (like pseudo-legendary) would throw off this balance.

Not necessarily, because Steel is such a strong, omnipresent counter. In fact, the mere existence of Scizor and Heatran means even powerful Fairies will have to rely on their team-mates to get around those stumbling blocks.

Like most other types, pretty much.

What about a Steel/Fairy pseudo-legend? Or some other dual Fairy typing that's neutral to Steel.

I just noticed, since I got one in Wonder Trade, but I'm pretty disappointed Petilil isn't Fairy. I don't know about Liligant, but I doubt she was retyped as well.

Which is kind of dumb to me. Imo, they fit Fairy more than Cottonee and Whimsicott.

And what happens with Hidden Power Fairy?

Now my whole party is reaching level 100 I was able to isolate their IVs, I calculated their Hidden Powers using the old way an all of them coincide, so looks like the formula hasn't been altered at all...

I just noticed, since I got one in Wonder Trade, but I'm pretty disappointed Petilil isn't Fairy. I don't know about Liligant, but I doubt she was retyped as well.

Which is kind of dumb to me. Imo, they fit Fairy more than Cottonee and Whimsicott.

I think that, like quite a few people thought they would, Game Freak included tricksters in the Fairy group (Mawile, Whimsicott, Mr Mime, Klefki) so Whimsicott fits with those. I don't particularly see anything about Lilligant that fits with the Fairy type tbh.

I'd say Blissey is the most curious one that wasn't retconned, due to it seeming like a sure candidate that fit well with the aspects of the type (that don't involve being mischievous, of course).

And arguably, Misdreavus and Mismagius fit with the tricking/mischievousness, so I'm sad they weren't retconned. Maybe they thought that four immunities would be a little too much. But who knows, maybe they didn't think they fit the type at all and it's just me being in denial. :( I hope Mismagius can learn at least learn Moonblast.

So what other Pokemon are being, expected to be changed? Pokemon Bank isn't out so it would be interesting as we can't get all 700 and something Pokemon yet.

I would actually like to see Maganium be part Fairy.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom