• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Now we just need better Ghost counters. Or should I say better Mega Gengar counters. Delphox could blast him to pieces with e.g. Psyshock, but that requires actually surviving long enough to get off a shot.
Yeah any counter that needs a Focus Sash to work isn't really a counter. :XD:

Doesn't Blissey kind of wreck Mega-Gar's fun? Even Focus Blast only 3HKOs her (or more, if it misses once, which is likely), she can stall him out pretty handily.

Now we just need better Ghost counters. Or should I say better Mega Gengar counters. Delphox could blast him to pieces with e.g. Psyshock, but that requires actually surviving long enough to get off a shot.

Doesn't Blissey kind of wreck Mega-Gar's fun? Even Focus Blast only 3HKOs her (or more, if it misses once, which is likely), she can stall him out pretty handily.
If it's Perishtrap M-Gengar Blissey is pretty much screwed, M-Gengar is not OP because of its stats (but they certainly help him ) it's because of the Perish Song + Shadow Tag + Subsitute combo wich pretty much lets him pick his fights.

If it's Perishtrap M-Gengar Blissey is pretty much screwed, M-Gengar is not OP because of its stats (but they certainly help him ) it's because of the Perish Song + Shadow Tag + Subsitute combo wich pretty much lets him pick his fights.

How do you even counter that if you don't have a pokemon with Soundproof?

Oh, didn't realize we were talking about Perish Trap.

Noivern OHKOs with Draco Meteor and hits through Substitutes.

I don't think it's balanced because it is effective against the two most common offensive types while not having any common weakness to counter it. I understand that people may think Fairy is fine as it is now, but this is just Gen. 6. In future generations, where more Fairy-type Pokemon and moves will be made and become increasingly common, chances are it will become more evident how big of an advantage the Fairy-type has. I just think Game Freak needs to be careful with how they handle it in the future.

I thought we were talking about the type in isolation of the Pokemon. If you're bringing that up, the majority of fairies aren't even that good. They have resistances and strengths against physical attackers, but not the defense to back it up. The most common fairy types aren't even the new additions--they're old Pokemon that gained the type. The only prominent new fairy is Sylveon and Mega Mawile.

Well, I didn't mention any Fairy-type Pokemon specifically. What you say may be true now for Gen. 6, but as I said, that could change in future games.

More Pokemon and moves are added each generation, it won't only be fairy types that are increasing. Your analysis of them being flawed "because there will be more" isn't that convincing because it acting as if "more fairies" is the only thing happening in the future.

Okay, so if we get more of other types each generation, then why create a new type to nerf Dragon, Fighting, and Dark in the first place? Don't their old weaknesses become more common as well?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Fairy is overpowered, but it's definitely one of the best types in the game there's no doubt about that. It says a lot that both in defensive and offensive combinations Fairy creates the best dual combinations in the game currently (offensive, Ghost/Fairy coverage is neutral on every Pokemon that currently exists and defensive, Steel/Fairy is the best type in the game iirc). I wish Psychic or Ice had resisted Fairy though. It was nice that Poison got a buff at least.

Play Rough being the only physical Fairy move is bs tho. Heart Stamp should have been retconned (and numerous other moves imo). And also we should have been given Pixie Punch.

I wouldn't say Fairy is overpowered, but it's definitely one of the best types in the game there's no doubt about that. It says a lot that both in defensive and offensive combinations Fairy creates the best dual combinations in the game currently (offensive, Ghost/Fairy coverage is neutral on every Pokemon that currently exists and defensive, Steel/Fairy is the best type in the game iirc). I wish Psychic or Ice had resisted Fairy though. It was nice that Poison got a buff at least.

Play Rough being the only physical Fairy move is bs tho. Heart Stamp should have been retconned (and numerous other moves imo). And also we should have been given Pixie Punch.

This. And I'd love a Ghost/Fairy. And a Dark Fairy! :D "Maleficent"-inspired design lol

My Florges slays, and I love it.

Oh, didn't realize we were talking about Perish Trap.

Noivern OHKOs with Draco Meteor and hits through Substitutes.
theres also shadow tag + taunt + destiny bond

Like I said, Noivern OHKOs MegaGar. Hit him while he's setting up (whether it's Substitute for Perish Song or Taunt for Destiny Bond) and he's yours.

Also, anything with Taunt cripples every gimmicky Gengar set.

Shed shell?

Shed Shell, Volt Switch, U-Turn and Infiltrator.

Yeah, Volt Switch and U-Turn are great options as well, since they'll get you out without passing the Perish Song onto your next 'mon (unlike Baton Pass) and are both really useful moves in general. I definitely wouldn't recommend any super-contrived strategies to counter a single pokemon, since you'll just end up with dead weight on your team every time your opponent doesn't use MegaGar.

Infiltrator is useful in general and Noivern is great all-around, but if you don't have room to work him into your team and/or don't like him, slap U-Turn or Volt Switch onto at least one of your pokemon. Really if neither of those are on your team they probably should be anyway, whether you're trying to counter MegaGar or not.

Not sure how this Mega Gengar discussion relates to the thread's topic. If you want to discuss how to counter Mega Gengar then the Battle Center is the place for that.

Or Fighting or Dark -- and then you'd probably still deserve it anyway.

Now we just need better Ghost counters. Or should I say better Mega Gengar counters, because that's the current one I'm trying to figure out. Talonflame could KO it with Brave Bird if I had Gale Wings (not yet), and Delphox could blast him to pieces with e.g. Psyshock, assuming she lives long enough to actually get off the shot. Poison and Ghost immunities (Steel and Normal) aren't worth much when every Gengar is packing Focus Blast.
The reason you're probably having a hard time is that Mega Gengar, by definition, does not have a counter. Since it can choose who to switch in on, and they can't switch, there's no way to counter it. There are checks and revenge killers, but they're not the same thing. If Mega Gengar chooses to switch in on you, chances are, its because it can kill you and it doesn't fear being countered since you can't switch out.

In any case, the roadblock to dragons thanks to fairies is that they can no longer spam Outrage.

It says a lot that both in defensive and offensive combinations Fairy creates the best dual combinations in the game currently (offensive, Ghost/Fairy coverage is neutral on every Pokemon that currently exists and defensive, Steel/Fairy is the best type in the game iirc)

Ghost/Fairy is resisted by Pyroar (the thing about it being the most unresisted combo is still true though).

I think at the moment, Fairy is very much in the same boat as Ghost. In that it is a rare but balanced type with viable hard counters that keep it in check, but nonetheless also happens to have a lot going for it and pairs well with lots of other types. Like Ghost Fairy's power is largely limited by a lack of very high power moves, but I think at this point GF is very conscious of what happened with Dragon so I don't see them getting any seriously overpowered moves in the future.

The fact it is hard countered by two of the best defensive types in the game is very significant though. I think GF did a great job of making sure the type was balanced yet competent enough to carve a niche for itself alongside the other 17 types without being overpowered.

I do have to admit, that if it weren't for the Fairy-types in online battles, I never would have given Empoleon a chance. Now he's my major Fairy-killer, along with Aggron. Also, I'm starting to look at more Poison-types as well, so I guess with the Fairy-types I do get to look at the Dex again and choose pokemons I wouldn't have used. Half my favorites were replaced with new ones, and I'm rotating various numbers.

But I still think Fairy-types are OP. Even with two Steel-types on my team, I still find difficulty in online battles. I do have Volcarona that resists Fairy, but the fact that all the types that resist Fairy having a common weakness to Ground makes it difficult to put a team together. Mega Aggron does survive Earthquakes, but I'd really like it if there was another type that can resist Fairy yet isn't weak to Ground :/

There are some type combos that reduce the damage back to 1x from Ground, at least, while still being strong against Fairy. Poison/Bug, Poison/Grass and Steel/Bug all work. Skarmory and Crobat can just ignore Ground type moves. Steelix is tough enough to handle Earthquakes, if not special Ground attacks.

I kind of like Poison types getting the extra attention, though.

Ghost/Fairy is resisted by Pyroar (the thing about it being the most unresisted combo is still true though).

Completely forgot about Pyroar, thanks for that. Maybe I was thinking of Dark/Fairy instead?

But I still think Fairy-types are OP. Even with two Steel-types on my team, I still find difficulty in online battles. I do have Volcarona that resists Fairy, but the fact that all the types that resist Fairy having a common weakness to Ground makes it difficult to put a team together.

There's still a lot of choice for Fairy resists that aren't weak to Ground though (some of them are weak Pokemon, but still): Charizard, Talonflame, Moltres, Crobat, Skarmory, Rotom-Heat, Bronzong, Gengar, Weezing, Venusaur, Beedrill, Vileplume, Victreebel, Amoonguss, Roserade, Venomoth, Ariados, Dustox, Roserade, Scolipede, Volcarona, Forretress, Scizor, Durant, Escavalier, Wormadam-Trash and Ferrothorn. (Also Genesect and Ho-oh but they banned on Battle Spot iirc.)

I don't really see a weakness to ground for a fairy counter that bad. How many fairies are even packing ground moves? None of the top-tier ones come to mind.

on paper? yes.
In actual play? nope.

The only thing that I hate about the fairy type is how it eclipsed the psychic type. I really wish that psychic was SE against fairy and that ice and psychic were resistant to it instead of fire.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom