• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-Mafia The Fantastic Forretress Face-off (Gun Show V1) - Phase 3 - 11/13/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Endgame - The Fantastic Forretress Finale
“Greninja, use Hydro Pump!”
“Forretress, Explosion!”
@Max1996 and @jdthebud each have their Pokémon use a move to blast a hole through the large wall of dirt that the giant hand had sculpted before them, enabling the two trainers to each hop through the obstacle in their pursuit of the shiny Forretress. However, they don’t proceed much farther, as past the forcefully relocated Information Center, they can see the giant hand groping around in the trees which the shiny Forretress had gone to seek cover in.
“What do you think’s going on here?” jdthebud asks Max1996. “I know there’s supposed to be Pokémon in these wetlands, but giants?”
“I don’t know,” Max1996 sighs, shaking his head. “Why do you think it moved the Information Center? Maybe we should peek inside, just to make sure everyone’s alright,” he suggests.
Max1996 and jdthebud peer through a window into the messy interior of the building. The unconscious bodies of @AussieEevee and @DarthWolf are each slumped down in their respective spots on the floor as @Contrainer runs his fingers through the trees in the wetlands display in the center of the room. @Acrobatic Crobat, having managed to chew through his ropes and escape from Contrainer’s backpack, simply stands in the room next to him, watching his former accidental captor curiously. Contrainer’s face lights up with glee as he plucks a little, golden speck of some sort from within the miniature trees...only for the speck to pop with a small, bright flash, causing Contrainer to recoil and shake his hand in pain, dropping the speck in the process. At that exact time, an explosion rings from somewhere in the sky above those trees where the giant hand was feeling around mere seconds ago. Max1996 and jdthebud look that way to see the enormous hand flailing much like Contrainer’s, while the shiny Forretress gets flung to the ground from out of its grasp.
“Max,” jdthebud says, “do you get the feeling that Contrainer is the giant hand?”
“You might be onto something...” Max1996 replies. “Do you think that whatever happens to that model happens to the real wetlands?”
“That is what I think.”
Just then, the giant hand slides the Information Center farther from Max1996 and jdthebud, then yanks a tree full of Forretress out of the ground, holds it over the two users, and starts wildly shaking it. Max1996 and jdthebud dodge and weave around the tempest of exploding bagworms, barely avoiding getting hit. Finally, Max1996 makes it to the Information Center, where he bursts in through the front door. “Give it a rest, Contrainer,” Max1996 tells said user, who looks up from the wetlands display in surprise. “Can’t you see that what you’re doing is dangerous?”
“I‘ve come so close to winning the prize!” Contrainer exclaims. “I’m not stopping now!” Ignoring Max’s warning, Contrainer begins furiously shaking the tiny tree over the little, beat-up Information Center sitting on the display. Loud thumps are heard overhead as several Forretress land on the roof. While some roll off the building harmlessly, one Forretress detonates and blows a gaping hole in the roof, sending fragments of wood flying into the building. Another Forretress falls right through the hole, landing on one end of the display and bashing it in, causing a loud, shaking tremor to rumble throughout the entire wetlands; luckily for the contestants, the impact occurs on the opposite end of the wetlands from where everyone had arrived, and therefore nowhere anyone involved with the competition had ventured into. However, after the Forretress that landed onto the display rolls onto the floor next to it, it begins to glow as if ready to explode. Max1996 sees this, realizing that if the Forretress blows up right next to the display, the whole War Room Wetlands could go up in flames instantaneously. Having no time to come up with another solution, Max1996 runs up to the Forretress, tackling it away from the miniature wetlands and straight into the wall. The Forretress explodes right in Max1996’s face, but at least barely out of range of the display.

Max1996 shot himself dead!

Contrainer stares blankly for a moment at the now charred, unconscious Max1996, then back at the wetlands display with terrible damage on one end. “...aw, just forget it!” a flustered Contrainer mutters, “I’ll go out there and catch the shiny Forretress without this thing.” Acrobatic Crobat has by now already fled the chaotic scene in fear, so Contrainer steps out of the trashed Information Center on his own. With the tremor and explosions having subsided, things seem almost peaceful for Contrainer as he walks past the dozens of fainted Forretress scattered around the area.

Then he gets hit by the Zap Cannon.

“Here’s a lesson I hope you don’t forget,” jdthebud coolly remarks. Contrainer dramatically turns to face his attacker while falling to the ground in slow motion, overcome by the paralyzing move from jdthebud’s Forretress.

Contrainer was shot dead by jdthebud!

Proudly, jdthebud strides away from Contrainer and into the trees up ahead, where he finds the shiny Forretress lying still in the dirt, having fainted from its earlier Explosion in Contrainer’s hand. @Pika_pika42, @Tood, and @prog rocker all watch intently from a convenient nearby spot as jdthebud pulls one of the periwinkle Pokéballs from his pockets. With nobody left to obstruct him in the competition, he tosses the ball at the shiny Forretress. It shakes once. Twice. Thrice. And clicks.

jdthebud has won the game!

jdthebud runs all the way back to MegaPod, eagerly presenting the event host with the Pokéball. MegaPod’s eyes widen in delight. “Ooh, could that be...?” MegaPod wonders aloud, getting up and taking the ball. He sends the golden shiny Forretress out of the Pokéball. “...it IS!” he exclaims. “Thank you, jdthebud, and congratulations! You’ve won the contest, jdthebud!” MegaPod shakes jdthebud’s hand. “And to think I joked about disqualifying you, hehe. Well, are you ready to receive your prize?” he asks.
“Of course,” jdthebud responds.
MegaPod picks up the black briefcase, enters “0205” into the combination lock, and hands it to jdthebud. “Uhuhuhu, this’ll be excellent...” MegaPod comments. “If only everyone else were, you know, conscious enough to enjoy this moment with us!” he adds, noting the present crowd consists only of himself, jdthebud, and the three spectators.
jdthebud flips the latches on the case and pulls it open. Inside, waiting for him is...

...a simplistic felt puppet of Rick Astley, which immediately begins dancing thanks to a mechanism rigged inside the case, while a speaker plays a very grainy rendition of “Never Gonna Give You Up.”
“Um. MegaPod?” a very disappointed and confused jdthebud speaks. “Where’s the prize money?”
“Prize money?” MegaPod responds. “I don’t recall promising you any prize money.”
“You promised it right in the pamphlet!” jdthebud yells, frustrated. “You wrote that the money would be in the suitcase, and it’s not in here!”
“That’s where you’re wrong,” MegaPod replies smugly. “I wrote that the suitcase was meant for the winner, but I said the money only happened to be in the suitcase...at the time of writing, anyways!”
“...you what now?” jdthebud becomes visibly more dumbfounded and irritated with each passing second.
“Here, see?” MegaPod takes out a copy of the pamphlet he used to advertise the event, opens it up, and shows a photo of himself to jdthebud, in which MegaPod is typing up the pamphlet on his computer while delivering an exaggerated smile and thumbs-up, the suitcase open and full of cash next to him. “I couldn’t have made it any more obvious,” MegaPod snickers.
“Okay, seriously, MegaPod? I can’t believe you’d stoop to this whole sketchy con just for your own sick amusement. I hope you’re really satisfied with how it all turned out, because you’ll be very lucky if you ever—“ jdthebud’s rant is suddenly cut short by a very loud rumbling coming from deep in the wetlands. He and MegaPod look to see trees sinking down at the far end of the wetlands, the very ground beneath them collapsing. “...what was that?”
“Oh no...” mutters MegaPod. “I fear that the Wetland-ception Display sustained too much damage,” he states. “If the pedestal’s structure is deteriorating, then the crumbling of the ground will spread here and the entire War Room Wetlands will be sunk underground!”
“Well, we have to get everyone out of here,” says jdthebud. ”Those boats have enough seats for everybody, right?”
“Well, AussieEevee should be able to squeeze into the tourists’ canoe, so as long as nothing happens to one of the boats, then yes. We’d have just enough seats for everybody!” MegaPod exclaims.
Just then, he and jdthebud look to see Acrobatic Crobat leap into the canoe by himself and frantically paddle it away from the War Room Wetlands, screaming all the while. “I’m getting OUT of this crazy place!!!” he shouts as he leaves the wetlands behind.
“Okay, now what?”
“Worry not, jd!” MegaPod assures. “I already have a way to transport all the injured contestants safely out of the wetlands without even using the boat.” He then pulls out a walkie-talkie designed after Forretress and speaks into it. “Medical Practitioner, this is Marshland Planner speaking. I need ten Metal Passerines sent to the wetlands ASAP.”
Within the minute, a group of ten Corviknight fly into the wetlands, each one donning a pale blue surgical cap over their metallic head plumage. Before the expanding chasm consuming the wetlands foot by foot can reach the incapacitated participants, each of the Corviknight swoop down and clutch one in their feet before flying back the way they came. MegaPod, jdthebud, Pika_pika42, prog rocker, and Tood all watch as the Corviknight carry the rescued users overhead. Most of the rescued users, such as @Felly, @chibighost, @ExLight, @Space, DarthWolf, and @Parissong, are at least fortunate enough to remain unconscious as the Corviknight’s sharp talons of metal dig into their skin. However, @Calvin ッ, @Pikochu, and Contrainer all scream and flail in agony as they’re dangled through the air by the claws embedded in their back or head. MegaPod gives a proud salute to an unconscious Max1996 as the latter user hangs upside-down from the last Corviknight’s talons by his ankles, in apparent recognition of Max1996’s earlier heroism.
AussieEevee stumbles into the area where MegaPod, jdthebud, and the spectators stand, rubbing his head. “MegaPod,” he groans, “next time I have to be your ranger on duty, I suggest you don’t give the players magic toys that could kill everybody.” As he says this, the earth’s crumbling gets closer and louder as the stone obelisk disappears into the giant chasm amongst all the sinking trees.
“We’d better go,” jdthebud urges. He and the five other people left all hop into the swamp boat, and the giant Fan Rotom propels them all across the water and towards safety.
As the group escapes from the War Room Wetlands which is now fully sinking underground, a pair of pink river dolphins suddenly poke their heads out of the water, one on each side of the boat. “What the...those dolphins aren’t native here,” MegaPod points out. “What are they doing here?”
“MegaPod,” chirps one of the river dolphins, “you are to be tried in court by order of Saphir, for your blatant smuggling of Cordaballs and Cordabucks outside of the Elaria region. Come quietly or we shall take you by force.”
“W-what?” MegaPod stammers. “C’mon, it was just for a special game! No harm do—“ Without further warning, the other river dolphin cuts MegaPod short by tackling him out of the boat and into the water. The two cetacean law enforcers drag MegaPod away from the swamp boat as he splashes wildly and coughs up water.
jdthebud notices that the Cordaball containing the shiny Forretress seems to have dropped into the boat from MegaPod’s pocket. He picks it up and leans back, satisfied that the whole ordeal wasn’t totally for nothing.

———​

A big congratulations to jdthebud for pulling off the victory in TWR’s very first iteration of this game, and thank you to everyone else who participated!
Now, I’ll drop some questions about your thoughts on the game. You don’t have to answer all (or any) of them, but feedback is always appreciated!
  • Did you enjoy the game?
  • Would you play another version of this game?
  • What changes, if any, would you have me make as a host for the second time around?
  • How was the flavor text?
  • Any other comments or questions?
Finally, here’s the full list of player actions (even though as stated in opening post, they can all be inferred from the results), for your viewing ease.

Phase 1
Max1996: Shoot chibighost
chibighost: Do nothing
Parissong: Shoot themselves
DarthWolf: Do nothing
ExLight: Shoot themselves
Contrainer: Shoot Felly
Space: Do nothing
Pikochu: Do nothing
Calvin ッ: Shoot themselves
Felly: Shoot Parissong
jdthebud: Shoot Pikochu

Phase 2
Max1996: Shoot DarthWolf
Parissong: Shoot themselves
DarthWolf: Do nothing
Contrainer: Shoot DarthWolf
Space: Shoot jdthebud
jdthebud: Shoot themselves

Phase 3
Max1996: Shoot themselves
Contrainer: Do nothing
jdthebud: Shoot Contrainer

That was fast indeed!

The only suggestion I really have is maybe let people have a bulletproof vest that lasts one shot, then you lose it? I saw that in a game I played similar to this, and it worked pretty well and made the game last a little longer. (Obviously a game like this isn't meant to last terribly long to begin with, but yeah.)

Otherwise, nice work!

Whoohoo! Thanks for the great flavor Megapod!

I agree that it was super fast but I did enjoy debating the moves and countermoves.

Oh, dang it! But congratulations, jd!
Thanks. I figured you would either shoot yourself or Contrainer, and I didn't know what Contrainer would do so I just figured I'd go out guns blazing, haha.

Did you enjoy the game?
I did, it's a fun yet simple concept
Would you play another version of this game?
Sure
What changes, if any, would you have me make as a host for the second time around?
It depends on what you want. As already mentioned this game can be made more complex with extra rules and options. You've got the core mechanics working.
How was the flavor text?
I honestly haven't read it as it was a bit overwhelming to do, especially with my brief check-ins on the forums recently

Congrats jd, GG everyone. This was a really fun game to spectate.
Megapod, congrats for hosting such an awesome game and that FT was just soooo good, we should totally create a Best FT for Non-Mafia and give it to you for this game.

Next time, maybe I'll join as a player. Overall, a very interesting game to watch and play.

Plot Twist: The Ferrothorn didn't exist and we were all just shooting each other for no reason
There was a Ferrothorn? :lapras: Actually, fun fact: I did consider writing a Ferrothorn into the FT at a point, as well as Bastiodon and Stunfisk. However, the parts involving those Pokémon did not fit in with the narrative that was developing, so I rolled with what I had.

Anyways, I greatly appreciate the positive reception of the game and flavor text so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom