• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fiery Beginnings

That might be a good idea
It would slow down my posting as well :D

If anyone reads this and wants to do it
Let me know in a private message
You'll get a special thanks in all my posts of course

Chapter 12-

Dante froze to the spot, seeing the massive weight from above coming down on him. If to mimic his Pokémon Rob was shocked just as much as his Pokémon. The sight of this close to 900lbs goliath simply falling towards his tiny Pokémon left Rob with no idea what to say.

Suddenly just from outside his area of vision, a familiar set of small flames had come flying across the battlefield. Arson had begun firing at the huge body of Steelix, causing it to retract its attack only slightly. This small amount was enough as it caused Rob and Dante to snap out of their shock, leaving Rob yelling “Dodge!”

Not that Dante would have been needed to be told, but nonetheless he did exactly as he was told and dived to one side landing gracefully on his hands performing a front flip, leaving Steelix to crash into the ground, causing the gym floor to kick up all the rock dust blind his vision of sight.

As Rob waited for the dust to settle so he could see again, he suddenly heard what again sounded like a booming voice from Forest “Mega Punch.”

This order was clearly meant for Geodude, and Rob had fallen into a trap of concentrating so much on Steelix that he had forgotten about Geodude. Well really that Steelix made a tough enough battle by itself, let alone having to face a second Pokémon. Just as the Dust began to settle, Rob could see the white light from Geodude’s fist heading for the area where Dante had been.

Luckily Dante must have seen the light even sooner than Rob had, as at the last second, Dante managed to perform what seemed like a very basic dodge, to duck itself onto its back. Geodude seemed to be going very simply over Dante, until on his own initiative, Dante kicked his legs up tipping to off balance Geodude, even more so. Sending him flying into one of the rock pillars on the rock field.

The dust had now finally cleared; Steelix was rising up slightly more gingerly now, while Geodude had actually smashed right through the rock. It was at this stage that Rob realised that both Geodude and Steelix didn’t have the rock head ability, and a second part to his plan began to form.

“Use ember again” Rob shouted at his Pokémon, hoping they would both target different Pokémon.

“You’re beginning to sound like a broken record. Don’t your Pokémon know any other moves?” Forest said this with almost a sneer to his voice.

“At least my attacks can actually hit their target...” With that response, Dante laid off a strong ember on the still recovering Geodude, while Arson also once again hit Steelix with his most powerful ember to date.

This time it did seem as though both of the Pokémon had actually taken some damage, however it was still hard to tell the extent of the actual damage caused by the ember, as opposed to the damage they had caused themselves, nonetheless Rob was determined to press on.

“Ember on the run...” Rob was obviously thinking of a similar tactic that he had used before, however this was a lot more dangerous than he done before, as getting close to Steelix or Geodude could prove disastrous if either of them managed to hit one of their powerful attacks “Get as close as you dare...”

With this both of Rob’s Pokémon began to run forwards, with every bound they fired off another salvo of small flames. The constant battering of even these small salvos was enough to keep Geodude down; however it didn’t quite have the same effect on Steelix who seemed to be absorbing the hit once again.

“Steelix bind...” Taking advantage of Rob’s Pokémon closeness, Forest orders his own to use moves to finally cause some damage “...Geodude tackle.”

Steelix pulls his whole body around, reaching towards Arson with his tail. Meanwhile at the same time Geodude began picking up as much speed in the small amount of distance between him and Dante, it left Rob to call out only a last minute simple command “Get out of the way!”

Steelix manages to lock Arson into a deadly grip, between the tip of its tail and a lower part of it body, the considerably smaller Pokémon to be entirely engulfed by the sheer size of the Iron Snake Pokémon. Meanwhile Dante was in a much better position when facing Geodude, as when the Rock Pokémon came bounding forward, it left itself well exposed to Dante, who was more than willing to take advantage.

The Chimp Pokémon at the last second dived into the air, straight over Geodude who once again looked completely bemused by the sheer speed of Dante. In mid-air Dante once again managed to flip over, firing off an ember by without an orders. Once again Geodude was left to go flying forward as he crashed into another rock pillar.

The repeated action had left the Geodude in a completely dazed state. While Rob maybe should have finished off the weakened Geodude, he was more concerned about the state of Arson, hopefully he would have fallen into one of the cracks in Steelix’s mighty body, and just of been holding off rather than being crushed, nonetheless he had to get him free.

“Double ember!” this was more of a hope that Arson could hear him, as opposed to a true order. Rob knew that a single ember had done very little damage to Steelix so far; perhaps the dual attack could at the very least shock Steelix enough to free him, that’s if Arson could even hear Rob, let alone actually hit the ember.

Dante used his moment of freedom and open space, to unleash a massive ember, very thick and fast, which bathed a large part of Steelix’s lower body in flames. While at the same time the tail of Steelix could be seen to be lighting up, obviously Arson had heard, and was capable of breathing out the ember, now it was just to wait and see whether or not the pain would be enough for Steelix to release his grip on Arson.

As it turned out, the dual attack really was enough to get the Pokémon to release his grasp on Arson. Dante continued the attack, still taking liberties on the amount of space he had been given by the still presumably downed Geodude, as Arson tried to move away from the flailing tail of the giant Pokémon.

Arson shakes itself once it is truly free of Steelix and far enough away, not to be hit with a direct attack. While trying to regain his senses, he sees a white light, in the distance, just beyond Dante, Rob saw the light as well, and recognised it instantly as Geodude’s mega punch. In fact the only one who couldn’t see it was Dante.

Forest once again began to sneer as Geodude built up more and more power, knowing that there was no chance that Dante could at this stage avoid the attack, as he was still focused on burying Steelix in flames, which was working out very well. Forest spoke down at Rob just when Geodude couldn’t get any closer “Looks like it’ll be one down.”

Dante turned at the last second, perhaps just sensing something, but all he had time to do was scream out in terror and close his eyes. However when it opened them, he was still standing in the same place completely unharmed. Standing next to him now however was Arson, who was staring off into another one of the rock pillars.

During those few seconds, Arson had blasted forward, and had at the last possible second, blasted off with an ember, sending Geodude once again flied right into one of the rock pillars. This left Forest in absolute shock, right across from Rob.

Slowly Geodude slipped out of the rock it now found itself embedded, once it hit the ground. It attempted to struggle back up, pushing its arms on the floor, very weakened and visibly shaken. It then crumpled down into a mess on the floor, its eyes swirled, revealing it to have fainted.

“You were right... One down,” It was now Rob’s turn to sneer at his opponent, as he looked across at the fallen Pokémon.

Forest returned his Pokémon, head down, obviously hit hard that he had failed to hit that move and slightly embarrassed himself by proclaiming victory early.

He then slowly picked up his head and looked at Rob “Steelix... Iron tail them both...” the command was both slow and very deep from inside, obviously he hadn’t expected to lose either of his Pokémon in this battle, perhaps for it not even to be a true challenge.

Steelix’s giant tail glowed white, as he once again manoeuvred it to the front of his body facing towards Dante and Arson who were still so close together. The tail then began to move down towards, both of them.

Dante was the only one of the two who saw it coming, as he turned to the noise of the giant body moving. Arson was tired, from the dash across the gym, as well as the damage from the bind by Steelix earlier.

Nonetheless Dante must have felt he owed something, as he pushed Arson out of the way of the oncoming iron tail. The attack passed Arson by a matter of inches; however it planted onto Dante, completely crushing the small Pokémon.

Steelix moved his tail away very slowly, revealing the swirled eyes of the chimp Pokémon, who had just been completely crushed by the sheer size of Steelix’s tail alone.

Rob returned Dante to his Pokéball, with a solemn look on his face; he looked at the Pokéball and spoke gently “Sorry, but thank you Dante.”

He didn’t look that way for long however though, it was now time for revenge, and to crush that iron snake Pokémon. Rob starred up and saw that Forest was once again happy with himself, if he needed anymore of a reason to crush this gym leader that was it.

“That’s it...” Rob yelled as he pointed across the gym to Forest, he then continued, now more rage than logic “...You’re going down now! Ember!”

Forest sniggered, just as his Steelix was hit with the largest ember of the day so far, Arson was filled with rage obviously once again Rob’s Pokémon were mimicking his emotions. The ember was so thick it looked like just one thick flow of flame, rushing into the giant Pokémon, and for the first time today Steelix genuinely looked like it was reeling from an attack.

“Your defence is weakening...” Rob was now feeling confident enough to actually take it to the gym leader of the battlefield.

“Luckily you haven’t seen my true attack yet then” Forest was once again sneering at his challenger, obvious with a trick or two left up his sleeve. He takes a deep breath, and then once again methodically states an order “Steelix fissure!”

Rob automatically knew the move, it was used often in gym battles against Blaine, a last ditch attempt to knock out a Pokémon when your all out of other ideas. “Did this mean that Forest was all out of ideas, and sensing the end himself?” Rob thought “It didn’t matter in any case, he needed to think quickly.”

While Rob was going over a plan in his head, once again Steelix had moved his tail in front of his body, threateningly looking to smash it down onto the floor, he wasn’t at this stage close enough to hit Arson, but sure as hell was going to be close when that tail came down, would there even be any chance to dodge.

Suddenly it hit Rob just as the tail starting its descent, “Onto his tail at the last second.”

Arson in total loyalty did as he was commanded; he waited till the last second, not moving in any attempt to move out of the way. Then when the moment finally came, Arson jumped into the air and forward. The smashing of the tail on the ground shook the entire gym building, and as would be expected by the name, the move opened up a giant fissure in the ground where Arson had been standing. Now however, Arson was on Steelix’s massive tail.

“Now Arson ember...” Rob once again ordered his Pokémon to use the same fire type move, but was still low on options, he was certain that as soon as the opportunity came, he would train his Pokémon so he always had countless options. He then furthered his plan “...Run up the body.”

In a move that even stunned the gym leader, and to be honest Rob himself, Arson managed the move extremely successfully; he began running from joint to joint on Steelix’s body, with every bound he fired off another powerful salvo of embers right into the body. Each shot at such close range was clearly hurting the giant Pokémon, which would explain why he did little to actually defend himself, or even get Arson off his body.

Just as Arson was reaching Steelix’s giant head, Rob ordered a new command “Jump... And give it all you’ve got.”

As if anyone would be surprised by now, Arson jumped clean into the air, not thinking about the height he might fall, or the danger he was putting himself into by being so close to the head of the giant Pokémon. In mid-air Arson pulled the 180 turn, and fired off another huge salvo of small flames, straight into the huge Pokémon’s face. The close range and the sheer amount of the flame caused another amount of smoke to build-up around the head of Steelix.

Arson landed comfortably on all fours, visibly tired from the attack, but lowered his front legs and thus his body and head and started growling, still full of rage at Steelix. It was only as the smoke cleared that the rage was replaced.

It was replaced with sheer shock, growling back was Steelix. Looking as if no attack had actually happened, let alone the massive one just launched. Rob mind now had to come up with a new plan to defeat this steel monster.

Forest on the other hand simply grinned again, and was ready to order his Pokémon “Steelix use...”

Forest couldn’t finish his sentence, when Steelix suddenly just tensed up, and was left to crash to the ground, with a huge thud, eyes swirled, the monster lay. The shock on Rob’s face had grown even more he couldn’t believe, the same could be said of Forest, however to a lesser extent surprisingly.

With an almost simultaneous moment both trainer and gym leader returned their Pokémon, and both said “Thank you... You were great.”

Rob however spent that little bit extra time staring down at his Pokéball’s, still thanking both of them in his mind. Rob didn’t think he had been that long really, however it must have been longer than he realised as when he finally looked up to find the Leader literally right in front of him.

“Whatever happens I am to award you with the Boulder Badge, as proof that you won here at the
Pewter city gym...” Forest said solemnly, while holding out a clenched hand, which he slowly opens to reveal the boulder badge, Forest then looked up to continue “However I hope you might also take some advice.”

“Advice!” Rob thought to himself, this was just a kid, sure he was a gym leader, but he’d just defeated him, there surely wasn’t anything of great importance that this kid could bestow upon him.

However before he could take the badge and leave, Forest abruptly interrupted him “I have never seen two young Pokémon with so much faith in their young trainer, not to mention the link you obviously share with them.”

Rob was about to speak when he found himself once cut short “They have so much trust in your abilities; they would risk everything because you believed it would work.”

This made Rob somewhat proud of himself, again forgetting that he’d only been training these Pokémon for a few days, and it was more of a compliment to them than him, he was about to thank Forest, when he was again cut short, this time however Forest had a completely different tone to his voice “...However you lack the same faith in your Pokémon they hold in you. The moment you saw my Steelix you doubted your Pokémon’s abilities. It wasn’t until I literally crushed your Chimchar, that your raged boiled over and showed yourself to be a true trainer. If it wasn’t for that you would have let that doubt overcome you like most other trainers who enter this gym.”

Forest suddenly dropped the badge onto the floor of the gym, and began to walk away. Rob was feeling the same rage he had felt before, but he couldn’t think of anything to say his mind was simply full of thoughts “Was this true? Would my doubt in my Pokémon have cost us this gym victory? Surely, I never doubted them? I just wasn’t sure how to tackle that giant Pokémon, that’s all it was.”

When Rob finally looked up, he looked out across the gym, only to see Forest had already left. With his boulder badge still left covered in dust on the floor.

I've decided that i don't like double battles that much
So I'm going to have to think of a new way to write them if i do another one in future
Oh and i know the Rock Head ability doesn't work that way, but its something i plan to develop in my next chapter, so watch this space
But tell me what you think
All reviews will be greatly recieved :D

okay i managed to catch up with this (finally), and i can safely say its coming along great!
Grammar wise isn't perfect, just at certain points you are mixing up your tenses. Remember, use past tense for a story.
Good to see Rob developing as a character a bit, still quite cynical but a bit unsure of himself after what Forest said to him, and the tactics you used in the double battle were well presented.
At any rate, keep it up!

Thanks for the reviews guys
Will hopefully have the next chapter done for tonight

A lot of my story hinges on whether or not people like it
If they don't, then i got to go for a re-write of my plan

Chapter 13-

After his battle with Forest at the Pewter city gym, Rob had decided that a couple days of rest and relaxation were in order for his Pokémon, while for him, it was more a chance for some realisation. Rob thought he must have gone over what Forest had said to him a hundred times by that point, he couldn’t find himself agreeing or disagreeing with the statements but at the same time he couldn’t seem to block it out.

Also while at the Pokémon centre, Rob had learnt what might well become a valuable skill, he had learnt the art of listening in to all the conversations of other trainers, he had hoped to hear a piece of information which might prove invaluable. Be it about a strong trainer worth battling or any strong wild Pokémon, which would be worth adding to his team.

Over those couple days both of those things seemed very unlikely, all other trainers that had come to Pewter City Pokémon centre had either lost at the gym, or were just stopping in while training to face Forest at a later. Seeing a stream of trainers coming in with Rattata’s, Pidgey’s and even the odd Pikachu, made Rob very disheartened with staying here much longer, as none of them would prove a match to him or Forest.

It was just as he was packing up some supplies that he heard the first piece of useful information however. Rob overheard two young lads, younger than him, but not young enough to spinning a few tales for no reason. They both looked quite well educated, which in Rob’s mind was just pleasant for calling them nerdish.

“No joke, I’m telling you it was a Rhyhorn,” One of them said to the other.

“A Rhyhorn...” Rob thought to himself. The sheer mention of the Pokémon, warranted Rob’s attention “...Blaine’s Rhydon had gotten him out of trouble so many times, offered a massive amount of defence while still being such a strong force on the attack... The perfect addition to my team.”

“Come on, Rhyhorn haven’t been seen near Mt. Moon for as long as I can remember” The other responded with an uncertain tone

“I’m serious, but that’s not the only thing...”

“What else is there?”

“Well... It was Brown.”

That was enough information for Rob, an exceedingly rare Rhyhorn, it really would make the perfect addition to his team.

“Your eyes must have been playing tricks on you again Daniel.”

“I know what I saw! It was a brown Rhyhorn.”

Rob believed in the lad’s certainty so much, that he threw his bag over his shoulders, and quickly headed for the doors. Rob knew that this Pokémon really would be a great addition to his team, and even if it did turn out to be nothing more than this kid telling a story to impress his mates, he needed to head out towards Cerulean City at some point, so this surely wouldn’t be a major diversion.

Rob wasn’t on the path out of Pewter for very long at all, when he started to the leave to city behind him. It still hit him with surprise just how compact some of these cities really were, and how you could get from one of them to the other in a matter of minutes.

Again Rob was not be in need of his Pokétch, as Mt Moon could be seen from Pewter, so Rob knew he was heading in the right direction. The problem was going to be trying to find Rhyhorn in the vast expanse of space. At that point, Rob was walking in a sparsely wooded area, and felt reasonably certain, that the Rhyhorn would be closer to the Mountain, where the trees would be even sparser or possibly even non-existent.

Rob was right in one aspect, the trees did get sparser as he went along the path towards Mt Moon, however that was still only one aspect. For all he knew, the Rhyhorn might actually be in the forested area, or possibly even non-existent. Nonetheless, thinking like that wasn’t going to help him find the Rhyhorn, he needed to come up with a plan.

There just wasn’t enough time to form any kind of plan, before he knew it; Rob had reached the base of Mt Moon, here he was presented with the option of going through the giant mountain, through the paths cut by miners and fossil hunters, or he could round the outside, through the giant chasm which led right round to the other side, a much longer journey, but much more likely to yield the result he was looking for.

The question however was whether to go left or right, it was a 50-50 chance for it to be either way. Rob began to think deeply again “What if I had caught a flying type, just a Pidgey or Sparrow for times like this? Should I go back and catch one now? Sure it’s not helpful for my style, but I could end up stuck like this countless times...”

Robs thoughts were trailing off just as he was interrupted “Don’t freeze up boy; the cave is a great place to train.”

Rob turned to meet the mysterious voice “I’m not worried about going in, I want to...” noticing the familiar sight of the man “...I know you from somewhere.”

The man gave out a hearty laugh, leaning back slightly as he clutched his sides “I expect you do, most trainers in Kanto recognise a member of the elite four.”

It was true, and of course the giant of a man was Bruno. Bruno stood in front of Rob in torn up trousers, and topless over his wide chest area. No-one would believe this man to be one of the toughest trainers in the region; most wouldn’t believe him to be a trainer at all. He really did look like just some crazy hill dweller.

“I was actually planning on going round the mountain,” Rob eventually managed to get out.

“That’s a much longer journey lad. You might not make it in the little day we have left,” it was true, it was quite far past mid-day and Rob had guessed it would take a good few hours to make it all the way round the base of the mountain, but Bruno continued before Rob could explain himself “You must have a good reason to go all the way round the outside.”

“I’m looking for a Rhyhorn.” Rob said this rather quickly, he wouldn’t have said it to any other trainer, but felt like a simple Rhyhorn was below a trainer of Bruno’s class.

“Oh, you mean the brown Rhyhorn...” Bruno stated this as if it was common knowledge, nothing more than a fact.

“Yes... How did you know?” Rob was taken aback by Bruno’s presupposition, he was asking as if to hope that either Bruno wasn’t looking for the Rhyhorn, or worse yet, there had already been a dozen trainers go past here after the Rhyhorn.

Bruno once again let out a similar laugh, “I expect I heard the same rumour you did lad. Rhyhorn in this area was enough to attract my attention, but a brown one, that was enough to bring me down here to see it for myself.”

“See it?” Rob’s hopes of catching the Pokémon had risen up a little bit on hearing this.

“Yes lad. You see, after a while as a trainer, you reach the point where you truly do feel like you’ve done everything and seen everything there is to do and see. Then moments like this come along, the chance to see or do something different.” As Bruno made this statement, his voice got more and more serious and solemn as he continued. However it suddenly got lighter as he made his next statement “Which way should we go then?”

“WE?!” Rob wasn’t sure whether this was in his mind or if he had said it out loud, either way he was completely perplexed at the idea of travelling with a member of the elite four.

“Well I figured as I’ve slowed up your journey a bit, I’d help you a long a bit”

“Well I’m not sure...”

Bruno cut him off “What way do your instincts tell you to go”

“Well left I suppose, but I don’t know why...”

Again Bruno cut him off “Trust yourself, and the rest will follow.”

This hit Rob hard, it sounded so familiar to what Forest had said to him, could Bruno have sensed that Rob really wasn’t all he had put himself out to be. Then again Rob hadn’t exactly done a good job of faking the over-confidence he had done since leaving Cinnabar Island.

While Rob had lost himself in thought, Bruno had made his way over to the left-side chasm. Rob knew it was a good thirty foot drop if not more from there, so surely even this trainer who was in good shape wasn’t going to jump.

However, out of thin air, Bruno seemed to pull a Pokéball from nowhere. He held it in his hand for a moment, before suddenly throwing it into the chasm. Life seemed to go into slow motion for a moment, as a familiar but not quite recognisable sight reared its head out of the chasm.

It was an Onyx; this Onyx however was larger than the Steelix he had just faced at the Pewter city gym. This was a giant Onyx. Rob stared mystified at the giant Pokémon, as he was snapped out of it by Bruno “I figured walking might take too long, and this gives us a better view.”

Rob smiled; it felt like the first time he had actually allowed himself to give out a legitimate smile in a long time. Rob moved towards Bruno and Onyx slowly, as Bruno himself, climbed up onto his Pokémon’s head.

Rob was sat to the side of Bruno scouring the terrain, in search of the Brown Rhyhorn. He had been there for what felt like a long time, and he had certainly seen several Pokémon that on another day he might have considered catching, but slowing down at this point might well cost him his chance to catch the Rhyhorn, nonetheless he stored the data in the Pokédex in case he ever decided to come back.

Ok guys, hoping you like this part of the story
The next chapter will have a lot of action in it so hopefully that'll make it some what more interesting.​

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom