• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The First Starter You've Picked For Each Generation?

Lluksonak

Uninteresting Individual
Reaction score
Don't know if there was a thread for this(looked up starter, etc.) and none of the results have this topic :p

So, uh..remakes don't count(unless you didn't play the original) so er yeah..

Red: Charmander
Silver: Cyndaquil
Emerald: Treecko
Platinum: Chimchar
Black: Oshawott
Black 2: Oshawott

Still don't have a chance to play Gen 6, unfortunately, but I'd pick Froakie.

Again, if this kind of thread was made already, it's muh bad qq.

Gen I: Pikachu (I only played Yellow so...)
Gen II: Chikorita
Gen III: Torchic
Gen IV: Chimchar
Gen V: Snivy
Gen VI: Fennekin

Strangely I never started with a water type, but in replays they usually get the benefit of the doubt.
For example, even though I began with Bulbasaur, whenever I play Leaf Green, it's usually Squirtle I pick these days.

These were my first choices in each generation so far, including the year I started each one and which game I played.

Gen I: Bulbasaur (Blue - 2000)
Gen II: Totodile (Silver - 2001)
Gen III: Mudkip (Ruby - 2003)
Gen IV: Chimchar (Diamond - 2007)
Gen V: Snivy (White - 2011)
Gen VI: Chespin (X - 2013)

Last edited:
Gen. I: Squirtle
Gen. II: Totodile
Gen. III: Mudkip
Gen. IV: Chimchar
Gen. V: Oshawott
Gen. VI: Froakie

I guess you could say I have a thing for water-type starters, but I actually like Cyndaquil and Snivy over Totodile and Oshawott.

Let's see, I think it was something like this.

Firered: Squirtle
Emerald: Torchic
Platinum: Piplup
Black/White: Snivy
X/Y: Froakie

Although to be fair, I've played through each game roughly half a dozen times. Guess it would be more apt for me to say which starter(s) I haven't chosen: Bulbasuar. I hate that.... whatever it is.

Gen 1: Pikachu. Yellow was my first game, so I didn't have much choice. I think for my first Blue play-through I chose Bulbasaur.
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Torchic
Gen 4: Chimchar
Gen 5: Tepig
Gen 6: Fennekin

I'm partial to the fire starters, as you can see...

Gen 1- Charmander
Gen 2- Cyndaquil
Gen 3- Torchic
Gen 4- Chimchar
Gen 5- Tepig
Gen 6- Fennekin

Yes, I picked fire every gen.

Leafgreen: Squirtle
Soulsilver: Totodile
Sapphire: I think Mudkip was the first one I chose, but the save file was deleted and I beat the game with Torchic instead
Platinum: Chimchar
White: Oshawott
X: Fennekin

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 4: Turtwig
Gen 5: Tepig

Although, to be fair, I've used pretty much every starter to date through several playthroughs, but these guys were my first picks. And, as you can see, I have a preference for Fire Starters (four out of six gens), since I strongly dislike Water Starters (though Froakie is the exception, as the only Water Starter I like), and since the Fire Starters tend to be the most powerful of their type per region. Also, Gen 4 and 6 are the only gens that I usually end up with two Starters on the same team (Turtwig and Chimchar/Fennekin and Froakie), because they tend to be the most appealing to me and function well together. But, overall, these guys are my first choice.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 3: Mudkip
Gen 4: Turtwig
Gen 5: Oshawott

Gen I: Charmander
Gen II: Chikorita
Gen III: Mudkip
Gen IV: Piplup
Gen V: Snivy
Gen VI: Froakie

Up until Gen V, I had a Pocket Pokedex book that showed me everything I could possibly need to know about the Pokemon in-game, so Charmander and Mudkip were chosen based upon their evolutions, movepools, and stat balance. Piplup was slightly influenced by the anime. Snivy looked the best out of the 3 starters, I knew nothing about any of them at the time. Froakie was chosen because Frogadier looked waaaay cooler than the other 2 midstage evos. Except for Gen VI (haven't restarted or gotten another game), I've used all the starters provided for each region, and some were much better than my original picks.

Blue: Charmander (But my main playthrough ended up being Squirtle)
Silver: Chikorita (ended up using Cyndaquil, though)
Ruby: Torchic
Diamond: Piplup
Black: Oshawott
Black 2: Snivy
X: Fennekin (no regrets! F**k Froakie!)

These are the ones in my first playthrough:

Gen 1: Charmander
Gen 2: Totodile
Gen 4: Piplup
Gen 5: Snivy
Gen 6: Froakie

In Gen III, I originally wanted to pick Torchic, but I read somewhere that Mudkip is a very good starter for beginners, so I chose the latter.
But from Gen IV onwards I always picked the Fire starter; the only times I didn't were in White and White 2 where I started with Snivy after being a bit disappointed by Tepig in Black.

Gen I - Charmander
Gen II - Totodile
Gen III - Mudkip
Gen IV - Turtwig
Gen V - Snivy
Gen VI - Fennekin

As you can see, I like to balance out the types that I start out my games with. Because I chose two starters per type as of now, I would choose whatever I want when Gen VII comes around.

Gen I: Squirtle
Gen II: Brotodile
Gen III: Mudkip
Gen IV: Piplup
Gen V: Oshawott
Gen IV: Chespin and Squirtle

full circle

GEN 1 - Bulbasaur
GEN 2 - Cyndaquil
GEN 3 - Torchic
GEN 4 - Piplup
GEN 5 - Snivy