• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The First Starter You've Picked For Each Generation?

Red: Charmander
Gold: Chikorita
Crystal: Totodile (Not sure)
Emerald: Torchic
Firered: Squirtle
Diamond: Turtwig
Heartgold: Cyndaquil

Usually, I try picking a different starter every time I play the games, and considering it's been so long since I first played some of them, I can't remember some of them, but usually I always picked the water starter the first time I played each generation, with the exception of Gen 6 when I chose Chespin instead, not because I have anything against Froakie, but I just thought Chespin was so adorable.

Gen I: Squirtle
Gen II: Cyndaquil
Gen III: Mudkip
Gen IV: Piplup
Gen V: Snivy
Gen VI: Froakie (Greninja looks awesome xD)

Gen 1: Squirtle
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Treecko
Gen 4: Piplup
Gen 5: Snivy
Gen 6: Fennekin

1 (Blue): Squirtle
2 (Gold): Cyndaquil
3 (Emerald): Treecko
4 (Pearl): Piplup
5 (White): Oshawott
6 (Y): Froakie

1 (Yellow): Only can pick Pikachu
2 (Crystal): Totodile
3 (Emerald): Torchic
4 (Platinum): Piplup
5 (White): Snivy
6 (X): Fennekin

Emerald: Treecko
Diamond: Chimchar
Platinum: Piplup
White: Tepig
Black 2: Oshawatt
X: Froakie+Bulbasaur
Y: Fennekin+Squirtle
Alpha Saphhire: Torchic

Gen 1 - Charmander
Gen 2 - Cyndaquil was the very first but I restarted for a Totodile like 1 day later.
Gen 3 - Torchic
Gen 4 - Turtwig was the very first but I restarted when I realised Ponyta was the only available fire type
Gen 5 - Samurott
Gen 6 - Fennekin

Something more interesting and natural for me to start with Grass types lol, I also prefer Grass types designs over a lot of the rest.

Red: Bulbasaur
Gold: Cyndaquil
Ruby: Treecko
Emerald: Mudkip
Pearl: Turtwig
Platinum: Piplup
Heart Gold: Chikorita
Black: Tepig
Black 2: Snivy
X: Chespin
Y: Froakie
Omega Ruby: Treecko

Oh thought it was first starter for each gen, not each game. My bad

Ok then

Red : Charmander
Yellow : Pikachu (duh)
Gold : Totodile
Ruby: Torchic
Emerald : Treecko
Diamond: Chimchar
Platinum: Chimchar
Heart Gold : Chikorita
Black: Oshawott
X : Fennekin
Omega Ruby: Treecko

Sapphire: Mudkip
Leafgreen (I never had the chance to play the first two Gen's): 99% sure it was Bulbasaur
Diamond: Piplup
SoulSilver: Chikorita
White: Oshawott
Y: Fennekin (which kinda surprised me, because when it was first revealed, I thought it was freakin ugly and was certain I'd pick Chespin. But I really dislike Chespin's final evo and adore Fennekin's final evo)

aside from the Kalos starters, I've tried each starter at least once, cause I restart my games sometimes and I've also played third versions as well as ROM's once or twice for Nuzlocke purposes (it makes taking notes a lot easier, cause I always played with the thought of making a nuzlocke comic)

Gen I: Charmander (FR)
Gen II: Cyndaquil (SS)
Gen III: Treeko (OR)
Gen IV:Turtwig (DPl)
Gen V: Tepig (immediately traded an oshawott to same game, because I wanted both)(W)
Gen VI: Chespin (Y)

Oddly enough, it seems water types havent been my first pick most of the time, although I end up using them often in other versions past their introduction.

I Squirtle

II Totodile

III treecko

IV turtwig

V oshawott

VI Chespin

II (through SoulSilver) Chikorita
III (through AS) Mudkip
IV Turtwig
V Tepig
VI Froakie

Only choices that I have come to regret are Froakie (found its line to have a shallow movepool that isn't helped by its stats) and to a lesser extent Chikorita (for making the early game hell, though once I got a couple of good team members he became a good part of my team).

Another interesting trend is that in Gen IV games I picked Grass starters, in Gen V I picked Fire starters, and in Gen VI I picked Water ones.

Last edited:
I: Squirtle
II: Totodile
III: Mudkip
IV: Chimchar
V: Snivy
VI: Fennekin

Back
Top Bottom