• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The First Starter You've Picked For Each Generation?

Charmander
Cynadaquil
Torchic
Chimchar
Tepig
Fennekin

I guess you can say I like fire types

Gen I: Bulbasaur (Red), Charmander (Blue), Pikachu (Yellow)
Gen II: Cyndaquil (Silver and Crystal), Chikorita (Gold)
Gen III: Treecko (Ruby and Emerald), Torchic (Sapphire)
Gen IV: Piplup (Diamond), Turtwig (Pearl and Platinum)
Gen V: Snivy (White and Black 2), Oshawott (Black and White 2)
Gen VI: Froakie (X and Y)

Last edited:
Charmander in the early days of Pokémon and the 3rd Generation (I did not play the Hoenn games on the Game Boy Advance and did not bought the original Johto games due to economic reasons). Piplup and Totodile in the Fourth Generation and in Unova I picked the Oshawott.

Kanto: Charmander
Jhoto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Torchic
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Unova: Snivy
Kalos: Fennekin

Johto: Chikorita (SoulSilver)
Sinnoh: Chimchar (Pearl); Piplup (Platinum)
Unova: Tepig (Black); Snivy (Black 2)
Kalos: Fennekin (X); Froakie (Y)
Haven't played in Hoenn yet and don't count Kanto in SS

For each generation? Hmm..

Johto: Cyndaquil
Sinnoh: Chimchar
Unova: Oshawott

I just love using fire type Pokemon and I really have no idea why.

Kanto: Pikachu (since I played Yellow first)
Johto: Totodile
Hoenn: Mudkip
Sinnoh: Piplup
I guess you could say I prefer Water types :p Although I didn't warm up to Froakie until later.

Yellow: Pikachu
Silver: Totodile
Ruby: Torchic
Platinum: Chimchar
White: Tepig

Recently bought Red but haven't started it yet, probably gonna pick Charmander. I do like my fire types.

Sapphire: Mudkip
FireRed: Squirtle
Diamond: Turtwig
Soul Silver: Totodile
White: Tepig
Y: Froakie

If it ain't Water, it's gotta be quadruped

Kanto: Pikachu (got Yellow first, then later that year picked Bulbasaur in Blue)

Johto: Totodile
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Kalos: Froakie

Yes, my favourites eavh gen I picked first, and I liked Froakie before protean was cool.

Sinnoh: Chimchar
Kalos: Chespin

Last edited:
Kanto - Bulbasaur - At that point I was around 5, liked all the starters equally and couldn't pick between them. I was borrowing a friend's game (didn't get my own until Silver) and had a thing about making lists and doing everything in the 'right' order, all the guidebooks said Bulbasaur was 'the best for beginners' and it was the first numerically so that's what I chose. :ksmile:

Johto - Cyndaquil - Although Chikorita was my favourite in the anime, I liked Cyndaquil's evolutionary line the best (particularly Quilava). I didn't want to pick grass again. (Also I think it's the first from left to right on Prof. Elm's desk? Is it? I can't remember.)

Hoenn - Mudkip - Predictable plan to have a type advantage on the Torchic my friend already had. I also didn't want to pick the same Pokémon as them and I didn't really like Treecko.

Sinnoh - Piplup - Similar as above but also Piplup was definitely my favourite by far of all the starters in that generation (finally the penguin I always wanted), so for the first time it was actually pretty easy to choose this time around. I also really like the Water/Steel typing of Empoleon.

Unova - Snivy - My favourite, I was even considering it before the silhouettes were revealed. :XD2: The final evolution is amazing, so there was no question which one I was choosing. I was also trying to even out my starter type ratio.

Kalos - Fennekin - Another starter I had hoped for for a while; a cat or fox looking one. I was worried about it ending up another Fire/Fighting so I didn't fully decided until I found out what the final evolutions were. A witch/wizard starter Pokémon was a very nice surprise. This also perfectly evened out my type ratio for the starters.

Kanto: Bulbasaur
Johto: Chikorita
Sinnoh: Piplup, then ultimately Chimchar.
Unova-Snivy. :)
Kalos-Chespin

Kanto - Charmander
Johto - Totodile for Gold, Cyndaquil for Crystal
Hoenn - Mudkip
Sinnoh - Turtwig
Unova - Tepig (only starter I stopped raising and eventually boxed)
Kalos - Never played, but I would pick Froakie if I had it

Kanto (Yellow): Pikachu
Hoenn: Torchic (Will get it again in Alpha Sapphire)
Unova: Snivy

Back
Top Bottom