• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The future of the Main Series

It would drown out the Pokemon that are already there. They can't do that without adding whole new areas entirely due to Sinnoh being built with the OG DS in mind, not the Switch.
They can make new areas in the remakes as seen with ORAS.

I’m of the opinion that we’re getting gen 4 remakes next. I think Galar is just going to start getting stale if they drag it out with more DLC after CT. It does seem rather conspicuous to me that the gen 4 fossils are missing considering their unique original method of obtainment. Plus it just seems far too early for gen 9.

I’m of the opinion that we’re getting gen 4 remakes next. I think Galar is just going to start getting stale if they drag it out with more DLC after CT. It does seem rather conspicuous to me that the gen 4 fossils are missing considering their unique original method of obtainment. Plus it just seems far too early for gen 9.
We're already getting a lot of the Sinnoh legendaries already through the Crown Tundra, along with many of the more popular Pokemon already being in Sword and Shield.

I disagree with the notation that GameFreak couldn't add additional Pokemon to Sinnoh in a hypothetical remake. DPPt already has a relatively unintrusive mechanic that was used to insert new Pokemon into the region: the PokeRadar, which, if I remember correctly, does not rely primarily on a GBA slot nor a touchscreen (and it's not as if GameFreak couldn't change the mechanic so that it could work without those things). And while overworld Pokemon and 3D route design may make it so that it would be difficult to insert the PokeRadar as it is into our hypothetical remakes, as stated before, it's not as though GameFreak's hands are tied and they cannot make any changes to an outdated mechanic so that it fits with the modern games. Alternatively, if the PokeRadar is a no, GameFreak could easily implement max raid battles as a way to get the remaining Pokemon into Sinnoh, changing the way dens appear in the overworld and spawn as they see fit so that it works with Sinnoh. For example, GameFreak could change the outside appearance of dens so that they are, instead of rocks and a red beam, just unintrusive portals that spawn on empty tiles that you go up to and then enter (think of the Hoopa portals in ORAS just smaller).

We're already getting a lot of the Sinnoh legendaries already through the Crown Tundra.
I don’t really see that as ruling out the remakes. You could obtain the legendary birds in both Platinum and HG/SS, for example. It’s not common, but it’s not unheard of. You could technically get a duplicate Solgaleo or Lunala in the same game, much less same generation.

I don’t really see that as ruling out the remakes. You could obtain the legendary birds in both Platinum and HG/SS, for example. It’s not common, but it’s not unheard of. You could technically get a duplicate Solgaleo or Lunala in the same game, much less same generation.
It would just make the remakes somewhat pointless if you can already get them in Sword and Shield. I think that there will just be more DLC if we're getting anything else this gen.

It would just make the remakes somewhat pointless if you can already get them in Sword and Shield. I think that there will just be more DLC if we're getting anything else this gen.
I disagree. Many people would rather have the option to have a Pokémon in each individual game rather than once per generation.

I disagree. Many people would rather have the option to have a Pokémon in each individual game rather than once per generation.
People might still get bored of seeing the same old Pokemon every game. Although, I don't think that we'll be seeing Gen 9 next year. I think that 2021 will be a gap year, followed up by Gen 9 in 2022.

People might still get bored of seeing the same old Pokemon every game. Although, I don't think that we'll be seeing Gen 9 next year. I think that 2021 will be a gap year, followed up by Gen 9 in 2022.
I think if Dexit has taught us anything, it’s that this is not the case. I would like to see a gap year, but I’m not confident that will happen based on demand appears to be affecting production rates.

It would just make the remakes somewhat pointless if you can already get them in Sword and Shield.
I disagree here as legendary Pokemon generally aren't the main focus of a game. Sure, the plot in the later half of the game may revolve around them, but there's so much more to the games that they most likely have a negligible effect on why someone buys a Pokemon game. For remakes in particular, for fans who've played the games, it is a chance to re-experience them in an updated form, while for others it's a chance to explore a new region. I figure legendary Pokemon factor little into the purchasing decisions of either outside of which version to buy, and their inclusion in two consecutive games won't render the remakes moot.
People might still get bored of seeing the same old Pokemon every game.
I doubt people are going to get bored of seeing a few legendaries twice. Also, considering the fact that Galar is full of old mainstays such as Gengar, Flygon, or C H A R I Z A R D, I don't think that is much of an issue outside of some groaning on forums.

I really don't think whether a certain Pokémon has been available in the previous game or not is that much of a decisive aspect for potential buyers of remakes. More than anything, it's about the region and its unique features, the characters, the story etc., and of course the fact that there's a considerable number of Pokémon fans out there that have never played the original Sinnoh games due to their age. Sure, certain Pokémon being exclusive to that game can be an incentive, but I wouldn't give that too much importance.

I really don't think whether a certain Pokémon has been available in the previous game or not is that much of a decisive aspect for potential buyers of remakes. More than anything, it's about the region and its unique features, the characters, the story etc., and of course the fact that there's a considerable number of Pokémon fans out there that have never played the original Sinnoh games due to their age. Sure, certain Pokémon being exclusive to that game can be an incentive, but I wouldn't give that too much importance.
Yeah, but usually whenever games are remade the starters and Legendaries of the gen being remade are usually kept out of any other games in the generation, LGPE being the sole exception due to its non-traditional nature.

Yeah, but usually whenever games are remade the starters and Legendaries of the gen being remade are usually kept out of any other games in the generation, LGPE being the sole exception due to its non-traditional nature.
Then explain Torchic being a distribution at Pokemon X and Y's release other than to promote Mega Evolution in ORAS later down the line.

We could see a holographic Pokémon game in the future if Nintendo develops a console that uses that technology. There's also the possibility that specialized game consoles will one day be replaced by tablets, phones, smart TVs and the like (once those devices are advanced enough to run games as well as a console can), so any technology those devices can use, Pokémon will be able to take advantage of too.

Keep in mind that Nintendo typically tries to keep their hardware cheap so it's affordable for casual players (this is also why Nintendo's graphics are worse than Microsoft and Sony's since the Wii). So anything that's crazy cutting edge like that is probably not going to be realistic for Nintendo's next console. If we're talking in terms of future hardware features, I think the most likely is VR. They dipped their toes in with Labo, but by the time the Switch's successor releases a full fledged VR headset would probably be cheap enough for them to consider it.

VR would be a nice improvement for Pokemon, especially if they can nail down how to make motion controls work with it, it could allow you to interact even further with your Pokemon and other players. But if Game Freak can't even get an open world console game on a flat screen, can we really trust them to get VR right? That will surely take even more resources and development time which they're unwilling to devote more of, so the games will just end up being even more barren and more unpolished. If they go this route, Nintendo might want to step in and take a more active role in the game's development.

I disagree with the notation that GameFreak couldn't add additional Pokemon to Sinnoh in a hypothetical remake. DPPt already has a relatively unintrusive mechanic that was used to insert new Pokemon into the region: the PokeRadar, which, if I remember correctly, does not rely primarily on a GBA slot nor a touchscreen (and it's not as if GameFreak couldn't change the mechanic so that it could work without those things). And while overworld Pokemon and 3D route design may make it so that it would be difficult to insert the PokeRadar as it is into our hypothetical remakes, as stated before, it's not as though GameFreak's hands are tied and they cannot make any changes to an outdated mechanic so that it fits with the modern games. Alternatively, if the PokeRadar is a no, GameFreak could easily implement max raid battles as a way to get the remaining Pokemon into Sinnoh, changing the way dens appear in the overworld and spawn as they see fit so that it works with Sinnoh. For example, GameFreak could change the outside appearance of dens so that they are, instead of rocks and a red beam, just unintrusive portals that spawn on empty tiles that you go up to and then enter (think of the Hoopa portals in ORAS just smaller).

Pokeradar could definitely be adapted to the new encounter system, we still have random encounters in some capacity, Pokeradar could just work like those. Also, Pokeradar only had one species per route in the originals, they could have multiple to fit more Pokemon in. The Dexnav worked somewhat similarly to the Pokeradar and they added in an extra 3 or so species on each route, Pokeradar could do the same.

Last edited:
I am of the belief that we will get DPPt remakes next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if those games were based mainly on Diamond / Pearl, the distortion world being a post-game episode, and GF also introducing a few DLC packs because why not milk the franchise even further.

I am really tired of all of these arguments from those who are stuck in the "traditional way Game Freak does things". A few years ago, we would have been dead set on believing GF would never have DLC for a Pokemon game, and here we are now. Stop being stuck in the past, GF has demonstrated they are willing to shake things up, so start expecting that the unexpected can happen (that said, dynamax and gigantamaxing is probably the dumbest concept ever).

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom