• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Galar and Other Regions Thread

SerenaToAlola

Reaction score
Let's discuss Galar's relationship with the other regions in this thread. For instance, the region's relationship with it's neighbours, Kalos and even Unova.

Has anyone else noticed how similar the cave in the trailer is with Kalos' shimmering cave?

116679 116680

Personally, I would love having a continuation of AZ's story and also a Kalos or Unova post-game.

Please let me know what you think? :)

I can see them relating to Unova, especially when Unova is the dragon region, I have seen a brilliant theory that the Original Dragon actually originated in Galar and came to Unova to fight the Galar wolf legendary in order to help Unova obtain their independence from Galar, and off course, Kalos was involved in the war as well, teaming up with Unova to defeat Galar. Something that can point to Unova's relation to Galar are historical medieval landmarks left by a previous civilization.

There was another theory in which Ruffled Rowlit covered in his video once that the dragon city in Galar was built in the image of the Original Dragon, with some rumors suggesting fusion, it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary for the complete restoration of the Original Dragon to be possible in Galar. Now off course that's just a theory and not a confirmation of it actually happening in Galar, heck the fusion part might only be true for the wolf legendaries and not for any other Pokemon.

Last edited:
I can see them relating to Unova, especially when Unova is the dragon region, I have seen a brilliant theory that the Original Dragon actually originated in Galar and came to Unova to fight the Galar wolf legendary in order to help Unova obtain their independence from Galar, and off course, Kalos was involved in the war as well, teaming up with Unova to defeat Galar. Something that can point to Unova's relation to Galar are historical medieval landmarks left by a previous civilization.

There was another theory in which Ruffled Rowlit covered in his video once that the dragon city in Galar was built in the image of the Original Dragon, with some rumors suggesting fusion, it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary for the complete restoration of the Original Dragon to be possible in Galar. Now off course that's just a theory and not a confirmation of it actually happening in Galar, heck the fusion part might only be true for the wolf legendaries and not for any other Pokemon.

Outside of Pokemon lore, New York was one of the original 13 British Colonies in North America, and France in history has been understood to be a rival of Great Britain. The French assisted in the War of American Independence so this sets up an interesting dynamic that Game Freak chose these three regions as the inspiration for these regions. So I think there could be some underlying rivalry between Kalos and Galar in the games.

Outside of Pokemon lore, New York was one of the original 13 British Colonies in North America, and France in history has been understood to be a rival of Great Britain. The French assisted in the War of American Independence so this sets up an interesting dynamic that Game Freak chose these three regions as the inspiration for these regions. So I think there could be some underlying rivalry between Kalos and Galar in the games.

Exactly, this makes me extremely excited. It'll be a shame if the story doesn't get into this.

I think it would be quite boring and predictable if Game Freak just used the irl relations between France, UK and USA in a Pokémon game.

I would rather they came up with an original plot not based on PokeWars.

Last edited:
I think it would be quite boring and predictable if Game Freak just used the irl relations between France, UK and USA in a Pokémon game.

Hmm, I disagree. Continuation of the lore is always exciting to me. The blurring of the boundaries between the real world and the pokemon world will also be fun.

I would rather they came up with an original plot not based on PokeWars.

There's so much history between the three countries combined that I don't think GF would even need to reference any sort of real life war. We already have the Kalos War and the Ultimate Weapon as part of the lore of Gen Vl, Galar could simply build upon that.

Touching on the whole Kalos and Galar thing... Was it ever mentioned who or what the Kalosian army were fighting against in their war 3,000 years ago? I don't ever recall being told this by AZ. If Game Freak do choose to reference the past tensions between Britain and France, then I think there could be ample opportunity to place Galar into this piece of already established lore.

Touching on the whole Kalos and Galar thing... Was it ever mentioned who or what the Kalosian army were fighting against in their war 3,000 years ago? I don't ever recall being told this by AZ. If Game Freak do choose to reference the past tensions between Britain and France, then I think there could be ample opportunity to place Galar into this piece of already established lore.
it's never explicitly stated. stuff in the Labs mention AZ's younger brother wanting to claim Kalos for his own though, so there's potential for it to have been a civil war. at the end of the day though, the war is merely a backdrop for the Ultimate Weapon more than anything.

Last edited:
As godiego said, the Kalos war was just an excuse for AZ (the ancient giant), Eternal Floette, Ultimate Weapon and Mega Evolution to exist. All of these things reached a culmination in XY (even if poorly), so I've never understood the need to expand them (outside of a movie or a spin-off game, I guess). It was a civil war by all indications.

There was another war in much more recent times (300 years ago) that did involve neighboring regions, and that led to the construction of the Parfum Palace. If they tied Galar into that non-existent backstory, then yes, they would invite comparisons to France and the UK's history. I don't see what good that would do.

The Underground Mine looks more of a connection to Sinnoh.

And yes, connections between Kalos and Galar especially regarding that war 3000 years ago would explain so many things that were left. I also mentioned this several times: the speculations of Eternal Floette being Joan of Arc sounds like it could work. And we'd finally see it distributed in this generation.

The Underground Mine looks more of a connection to Sinnoh.

And yes, connections between Kalos and Galar especially regarding that war 3000 years ago would explain so many things that were left. I also mentioned this several times: the speculations of Eternal Floette being Joan of Arc sounds like it could work. And we'd finally see it distributed in this generation.
Really? I always thought that it looked Glittering Cave from Kalos. Here are the comparisons:

Regardless, if this was their attempt to do two regions, this would be a good opportunity thanks to France and UK's shared history.

I'd personally prefer if the player found out more about Kalos through either some minor sidequest(s) or through some easter egg literature. As exciting as it would be to travel to another region, I feel like it wouldn't do Kalos enough justice because it would likely be a rushed attempt to expand on something that was arguably rushed to begin with.

I'm definitely not expecting any second region to have anywhere near the amount of focus that Galar is going to have. Johto is the only game to have a shared geography with Kanto and it's precisely for that reason (to the best of my knowledge) we got to visit Kanto. If we visit Kalos, at best we can hope for something similar to the Delta Episode where (insert Kalosian here)'s background is explored more (AZ? Lysandre maybe? The whole war thing?), but it'll be incredibly condensed. At worst we'll visit maybe one city or something as an homage and Game Freak will leave it at that.

If we visit Kalos, at best we can hope for something similar to the Delta Episode where (insert Kalosian here)'s background is explored more (AZ? Lysandre maybe? The whole war thing?), but it'll be incredibly condensed. At worst we'll visit maybe one city or something as an homage and Game Freak will leave it at that.

I don't think any of the Kalosian mythicals had anything to do with Lysandre and the war but it would indeed be cool if there's some post-game event in Kalos revolving around one of the three mythicals. I'd go for Volcanion and then maybe we can have some Magearna thrown in as well.

And yes I mostly agree with you in that that is as far as all I expect from a post-game visit to Kalos. I would similarly prefer for the expansion of Kalos' regional lore to be done in the SwSh main-game or as an optional side-quest.

I am certainly not expecting a take-a-trip-to-kalos-to-uncover-kalos'-secret-past post game event as that is, to me, much less interesting and also unnecessarily restrictive. Kanto's feature in the Johto's game is the same as well. It's just a chance to revisit the place with some updated dialogue and that in itself would already be very satisfying to me.

Honestly, I'd personally prefer Galar to be Galar and Kalos to be Kalos. A fully fleshed Kalos should ideally be for some sort of hypothetical sequel, and not take up the attention meant for a newer generation, if that makes sense.

Honestly, I'd personally prefer Galar to be Galar and Kalos to be Kalos. A fully fleshed Kalos should ideally be for some sort of hypothetical sequel, and not take up the attention meant for a newer generation, if that makes sense.
Yeah. Johto is so unremarkable without Kanto, and I don't want Galar to be the same.

You make sense and I agree with you. I just don't see how any inclusion of Kalos would be at the expense of Galar.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom