• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Galar and Other Regions Thread

I disagree about Johto being unremarkable without Kanto. I also think it's definitely possible for both a fully realized Galar and a better realized Kalos to exist in one Switch game. Whether Gamefreak puts in the effort is the question.

I don't expect Kalos, and I'd prefer just Galar is Gamefreak doesn't want to push boundaries in any real or exciting way. But this is the first real opportunity since GS for a new region to logically include an old one. The two regions are right next to each other in the real world, and can easily have a shared past/culture.

The bigger problem how one should include a fully fleshed out Kalos without it feeling like XY2. It's primarily why I said I preferred if Galar had all the spotlight instead, rather than it being split between it and Kalos and having both be rushed. Game Freak isn't... the absolute best at storywriting so I do fear having things split between two regions and having both be unimpressive as a result.

Kalos would be "north" of Galar on the map, but that is not the area with notable clouds. I suspect that the post-game is relegated to a small island that is obcured by the cloud to the right of the port.

That doesn't mean that there can't be meaningful references to Kalos, though.

I think gen 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 relations should be more visible , especially gen 2, 4 , 5 and 6 that had a lot of queen, kings and knights as pokemon.
Interesting will be the ice region, hope for all existing ice types and many new ones.
Feel that this gen should introduce new ice/dragon, a ice/ghost, ice/bug and ice/fire or ice/electric , maybe even a new ice/grass?

Taking the ports and how the region is build everything is possible... maybe Johto or Kalos after Galar?

I personally think it'll be interesting to have this three-way dynamic between Galar, Kalos, and Unova. They can mention Kalos helping Unova from the forces of Galar, (Could give a little nod at the American Revolution, where France aided the U.S against Britain. ) Britain and France do have a deep history together, I can see the villain team having a national pride, wanting to restore Galar's militaristic roots. This might make Galar the main enemy. However, while I don't anticipate a Kalos postgame, a little mention with Galar being at the 3,000-year war with Kalos is fine. But.. I do hope somehow, we can finally get the Eternal Floette after all this time. Most likely means we'll have to meet up with AZ, and if that's the case, I would like to see a drastic redesign for him, after being with his Floette for almost 6 years, did it bring a much positive outlook on his life. Perhaps we'll have to fight him again, but who knows? Gamefreak is Gamefreak. It'll be interesting to see how Sword and Shield develop over the months.

Disregarding any irl parallels, Galar is actually right above Kanto. We're getting Kanto post-game guys! /s

I wouldn't mind other characters from previous regions making appearances as part of major NPCs. Maybe characters like Caitlin.

The bigger problem how one should include a fully fleshed out Kalos without it feeling like XY2. It's primarily why I said I preferred if Galar had all the spotlight instead, rather than it being split between it and Kalos and having both be rushed. Game Freak isn't... the absolute best at storywriting so I do fear having things split between two regions and having both be unimpressive as a result.
Yeah. I don't want Kalos to overshadow Galar.

Ugh no, Caitlin's already been a frontier brain who couldn't handle her own emotions affecting her powers so someone ELSE actually battled for her, then she became a spoiled sleeping elite four member who gets upset that someone disturbed her naps to battle her. She doesn't need to also get to be a champion.

I'd prefer if Kalos were like only mentioned in side quests or little elements like that. This is Galar's game. Kalos can wait for remakes or a possible sequel game to come out and not take away from Galar. I don't want Galar to be shafted for more Kalos. That region got its games already.

Ugh no, Caitlin's already been a frontier brain who couldn't handle her own emotions affecting her powers so someone ELSE actually battled for her, then she became a spoiled sleeping elite four member who gets upset that someone disturbed her naps to battle her. She doesn't need to also get to be a champion.

I'd prefer if Kalos were like only mentioned in side quests or little elements like that. This is Galar's game. Kalos can wait for remakes or a possible sequel game to come out and not take away from Galar. I don't want Galar to be shafted for more Kalos. That region got its games already.
I am inclined to agree. I don't want Kalos to steal the spotlight from Galar.

Did Kanto steal the spotlight from Johto in GS? I don't think it did. Kanto was a fun postgame thing, Johto always felt like it's own special thing to me. I don't see why the same can't be true for Galar, if Kalos were included in any way.

Did Kanto steal the spotlight from Johto in GS? I don't think it did. Kanto was a fun postgame thing, Johto always felt like it's own special thing to me. I don't see why the same can't be true for Galar, if Kalos were included in any way.
Actually, I feel it kinda did thanks to its massive size compared to Johto, the fact that Elm has almost no presence in the games with Oak acting more like the regional professor instead of him (partly fixed in HGSS) and the fact it was one of the selling points.

EDIT: I would also add the fact that the League takes place in Kanto and 3 out of 5 Elite Four are returning characters from the previous games.

EDIT 2: Even the Pokémon themselves are not safe. Rattata and Pidgey overshadow completely Sentret and Hoothoot, with the former only appearing in two areas. And half the Gym Leaders' main Pokémon are from Kanto.

Actually, I feel it kinda did thanks to its massive size compared to Johto, the fact that Elm has almost no presence in the games with Oak acting more like the regional professor instead of him (partly fixed in HGSS) and the fact it was one of the selling points.

EDIT: I would also add the fact that the League takes place in Kanto and 3 out of 5 Elite Four are returning characters from the previous games.

EDIT 2: Even the Pokémon themselves are not safe. Rattata and Pidgey overshadow completely Sentret and Hoothoot, with the former only appearing in two areas. And half the Gym Leaders' main Pokémon are from Kanto.
And, some of the Gym Leaders don't use any actual Johto Pokemon. This was not fixed in the remakes.

Yeah, I would have given Hoothoot to Falkner, either Ledian or Ariados (or both) to Bugsy, Misdreavus to Morty and Hitmontop to Chuck.

I also find it funny how they went from "let's make Kanto a city" to "let's make Kanto 70% of the map". Kinda unfair.

I'm still waiting for any of you to put forth a convincing argument as to how Kalos' inclusion would overshadow Galar just by virtue of its inclusion. It has already been stated that there's no reason why any inclusion of Kalos would be at the expense of Galar.

Also countries don't exist in a vacuum. There's something called international relations.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for any of you to put forth a convincing argument as to how Kalos' inclusion would overshadow Galar just by virtue of its inclusion. It has already been stated that there's no reason why any inclusion of Kalos would be at the expense of Galar.

Also countries don't exist in a vacuum. There's something called international relations.
I feel that with Kalos it would be the opposite. Kalos is pretty lackluster and doesn't have the "first region" excuse that Kanto had. The closest thing to a memorable character is Lysandre who was handled bad and I couldn't bring me to care about my so-called friends. There's customization but it is extremely limited, Gym Leaders are back to being borderline animatronics, Team Flare is as stupid as Team Aqua/Magma (and were also fashion victims) and it has the second-weakest Champion to date.

Including Kalos in Galar will mean that it got the short end of the stick again, because the only way to save Kalos is by rebuilding the whole thing from the ground up.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom