• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
It felt kind of short? I finished the game a few hours ago and my Pokémon are almost level 100.

The customization is actually great in this game, the clothes look more like something a normal person would wear. I had trouble finding clothes that I liked in Gen 6-7 because they either looked too plain or childish.

The story was OK but there are a lot of recycled elements like Rose being a father figure to Bede but then betraying him and Marnie's town being like Po Town.

I think Hop has good development for a friendly rival. They actually recognize that he is kind of incompetent and have him grow through trial and error. He changes his team to reflect on that. It is interesting how they used actual gameplay mechanics to show his growth as a trainer.

I wish Bede would have been more involved in the plot with Rose. He has a kind of angsty backstory and a better motivation to get revenge on Rose. I was suprised that Leon wasn't all that involved with Rose, I thought that Leon was going to be some kind of fraud or misguided villian.

I like how Bede is a layered character, he is a jerk rival but also has a vulnerable side and loves pink and cute things. Opal is a fun crazy character and I'm glad that Bede found a new family after Rose discarded him after he outlived his usefulness. I always thought that it was depressing how Silver and N had to deal with their problems alone after their so called fathers abandoned them.

Last edited:
I'm two hours in, on route 3, haven't hit the first gym, and getting my ass kicked.

Arceus...

This whole release reminds me a lot of Mass Effect Andromeda's.... Not sure which was worse. Tis an issue of the modern gaming industry as a whole. I'm not expecting much from any hypothetical DP remakes due to this, perhaps they will be on par with ORAS at best. A brand new direction needs to be in mind for Gen 9.

I'm finished the game. And while I liked it (I'd say this is better than the last two generations)

There is no denying that it's borderline rushed/unfinished.
Gym's 5-8 go by very quickly, and the last two gyms don't even have real challenges. The entire 7th gym town is inaccessible, except the pokemon center and the gym.

I just read Ponyta's Pokédex entry and it says that it won't approach somebody with an evil heart. I think it's interesting how Bede has one later so it's kind of like Silver's Crobat which evolves with happiness after his character development?

I just read Ponyta's Pokédex entry and it says that it won't approach somebody with an evil heart. I think it's interesting how Bede has one later so it's kind of like Silver's Crobat which evolves with happiness after his character development?

Not exactly.

While arrogant and haughty, I don’t think Bede is really ‘evil’, even at the start of the game. He’s just misguided by his admiration and gratefulness to Rose, because he took him out of the orphanage and set him towards a better path.

Silver is actually different, as at the start of the story he wasn’t someone that would be able to evolve a Pokémon through happiness, and goes towards changing his ways.

Both characters have character development in the games, but Bede isn’t evil, or uncaring of his Pokémon, so having Ponyta isn’t a problem.

It makes more sense then Vegeta’s ‘pure, but evil heart’ in DB.

Me: Oh this is about Galar Ponyta I'll be fine.
Me: Oh crap spoilers close it now!

Full confession: everytime I see this image I think "Joker is challenging Sailor Moon to a Pokemon Battle"

9_4_leaguecard_5_2x.jpg

I found out that Mareanie comes later than Kabu (I think), which is disappointing. Unless anyone else has managed to get it before then?

I just got the 6th badge. I have to admit I'm struggling trying not to being op. I decided not to use Inteleon and Sirfetch'd cause they one-shot whatever they face, even pokemon of the same level or higher. I don't battle any wild pokemon and catch only the new ones that I really like. I honestly don't know what else to do. I feel that If I had played these games like I played the past ones my pokemon would have been 10 level over the other trainers.
I also have to agree on something: after the third gym, it's just gym after gym. The routes are too short, there are really few trainers. I just go to the wild area to lose time between one gym and the other because it feels like in 5 hours you can complete the entire tournement otherwise.
The plot is better than I expected, right now I see development for all the main characters (...apart from team yell which is sooo unuseful).

What is it with the catch rates in this game?

I became convinced that Bisharp is a great Pokemon to use to catch Pokemon, with the ability to learn both False Swipe and Thunder Wave. But I did not realize how impossible it would be to catch one. To make matters worse, they're in an area with Hail, which means that every one I run into is going to be knocked out by the hail in a short number of turns.

I get them down to very little HP, have them paralyzed and they still escape every single Ultra ball I throw. And then the Hail takes them out and... I gave up. I have a Pawniard, but I wanted one really high leveled so it would be useful. Turns out that's an impossible task in this game where higher level Pokemon apparently have the catch rates of legendaries or worse.

I'm not really a fan of Team Yell. I think they're my new least favourite "evil" team.

They're not intimidating, just annoying....and they're not even that funny...especially compared to Team Skull. So far it seems like there isn't anything they do best out of all the teams.

I guess I haven't finished the game so it could turn around but so far I'm not really feeling them.

I'm not really a fan of Team Yell. I think they're my new least favourite "evil" team.

They're not intimidating, just annoying....and they're not even that funny...especially compared to Team Skull. So far it seems like there isn't anything they do best out of all the teams.

I guess I haven't finished the game so it could turn around but so far I'm not really feeling them.

Yeah... It seems like they tried to do another team like Team Skull, but they are nowhere near as amusing.

I want to say that I do like that they aren't really villainous, but at the same time, their lack of involvement in the plot (up to what I've played) just makes them feel tacked on. Especially when they blockade areas. It's clear there's no rhyme or reason as to why they're blocking areas, so it becomes apparent that they're only there to be the progress stoppers and that's it.

Yeah... It seems like they tried to do another team like Team Skull, but they are nowhere near as amusing.

I want to say that I do like that they aren't really villainous, but at the same time, their lack of involvement in the plot (up to what I've played) just makes them feel tacked on. Especially when they blockade areas. It's clear there's no rhyme or reason as to why they're blocking areas, so it becomes apparent that they're only there to be the progress stoppers and that's it.

As much as I think Team Yell could've used more fleshing out, being progress stoppers is...kind of their thing. They're literally there to disrupt the Gym challenges of everyone besides Marnie.

I gotta wonder, though; did (certain person) form Team Yell intentionally, or does he just let them do whatever they want?

I gotta wonder, though; did (certain person) form Team Yell intentionally, or does he just let them do whatever they want?

I don't think Piers formed Team Yell deliberately. He's wanting Marnie to take over the Gym for him, and like she says to him, she won't have time to do that if she becomes the Champion. To me, Piers seemed very out of the loop on a lot of things. So I think they're just acting independently in support of their hometown girl.

I haven't gotten the game yet probably will next week but seriously was surprised by how negative some of the people were about it they were review bombing on Metacritic course they were doing that with Death Stranding too I can understand their positions obviously with the no national pokedex but from what I've seen other than some graphical issues the game seems to be fairly decent and anyone tell me how big the game is? I'm gonna just download it

So...I finished the main plot. 25 hours (but I spent a lot of time doing other stuff):

Positive:
  • New pokemon. Great designs and competitive structure.
  • The concept of the Wild Area.
  • Raids.
  • Gym Tournament.
  • Easier competitive building.
  • Overworld Pokemon and pokemon models.
  • The initial animation of the starters.
  • Dynamax and Gigamax, cool designs and not so overpowered as expected.
Negative:
  • Graphics. Just disappointing too many times.
  • Some animations are really mehh. People still move like robots.
  • Routes are too short with just a few trainers in them.
  • The game felt too easy, I had to struggle not to be overpowered too many times.
  • The characters are too simple and not really interesting (Marnie and the all team yell arc in particular).
  • The main plot felt too linear. No surprise. Ever. The main villain (which was obvious, let me be clear) became a villain in the last 10 minutes and the actual "evil team" is made of 10 people and is kinda silly.
  • The post game...well, there's not really one.
  • The wild area needs something apart pokemon to be good.
  • Too many doors locked, even the biggest cities are just a couple of routes with nothing interesting to do/discover. The last city in particular. I was expecting something big and full of stuff to do. It is not even close to that.
  • The AI of the generated trainers in raids is really disappointing. There's no chance you can win a 5 stars raid alone.
I would give the games a 6. I saw some improvements but I felt those improvements costed too many other things.

The restriction on being able to capture Pokemon above a certain level is one of the most frustrating and ridiculous decisions in not only SwSh, but the entire franchise. It is so annoying to face Pokemon that are 0-5 levels below mine but I cannot capture them because I don't have the right badge. I feel like the game is punishing you for wanting to capture Pokemon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom