• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Er... don't pokemon usually stop listening to you after a certain level without a badge?

What the bloody hell are the point of gym badges then! I thought they were meant as barriers to make sure you don't get uber op in the early game!

No. They are there to prevent you from getting overpowered by outside means and because the games needed a mcguffin and bosses.
Dammit! I've been lied to my entire life!

On a different note, I've been incredibly lucky in this game. Usually I don't have the luck to encounter a Pokemon with a 5% encounter rate this early in the game.

Didn't badges give stat boosts at some point too? Like in gens 1-3 or something?

Badges have such boring names this gen, but I like how they're presented as being parts of a complete shape.

Didn't badges give stat boosts at some point too? Like in gens 1-3 or something?

Badges have such boring names this gen, but I like how they're presented as being parts of a complete shape.
Yep. In gen 2 they also buffed moves of the same type as that badge.

Gen 1 and 2 did a lot behind the scenes to make the player's Pokémon stronger than an opponents of the same level, with stat experience (which AI Pokémon apparently had none of in gen 1, not sure about 2) being the other huge one.
Edit: Wow. I read online that gen 7 is actually the first one where AI trainers (outside the Battle Tower and such) have ANY EV's at all. Even Cynthia's Garchomp was straight 0s (but had great IVs) according to someone who used a cheat to catch it from her.

Last edited:
I'm really confused about Dreepy, does it really only have a 1% encounter rate in specific weather on one place in the game where its level 50? When does the Elite Four happen? Is it even feasible to have one for the story?

Third-favorite games after the Black & Whites

A long time ago I said that voice acting was a horrible idea for Pokemon games. Now I say that this game needed some goddamn voice acting!
Agreed. At first, I though voice acting would just be jarring and weird, however, having people move their mouths but have no sound come out is far more jarring.

Yeah, I used to be "no VA in Pokémon ever please" train too, but I think the presentation has come to a point now where it could be more of a benefit.

Third-favorite games after the Black & Whites

Yeah, I used to be "no VA in Pokémon ever please" train too, but I think the presentation has come to a point now where it could be more of a benefit.
Woah? That's great. I'm sure I'll enjoy it too. BW and their sequels are my favourite games.

Also I'm not sure but weren't you against the artsyle of the game at the beginning?

Finished the game. Here's my thoughts
  • new pokemon designs + galar forms are amazing (with a couple stinkers here and there, but ultimately a very quality batch). Also only 3 legendaries, they actually feel legendary when there isn't 16 of them like gen 4 and 7.
  • The presentation of the gym battles and league in the stadiums really make it feel like an event
  • Pokémon camp is pretty neat, all 6 pokemon visible at once.
  • The mix of overworld and random pokemon is handled well and feels balanced.
  • trainer customization is a huge step above gen
  • Game feels snappier than gen 7, inbattle speed and the general pace of progression
  • The OST is pretty solid. Not surprising for pokemon.
  • QoL changes, especially the ones made for the competitive scene.
  • Dynamax/Gigantamax. Honestly, I think its a decent gimmick, especially since it can only be activated for three turns, and can only be used in certain places.
  • Very wide variety of pokemon in the regional dex, and a lot of them can be obtained early on too.
  • No dungeons, braindead, linear corridor routes mostly. No optional areas to explore. Its even worse than sun/moon in this regard.
  • Pokémon scaling is still wack. They should be like height suggest them to be (looking at you wailord)
  • Story is straight up horrible. Hop is so ANNOYING. worst rival in the series.
  • A lot of the world feels like window dressing. So many places that are inaccessible and are only there for show. The entire town for the seventh gym, for instance.
  • Difficulty is way easier than gen 7. We're pretty much back to x/y levels now
  • graphics could be way better, tech problems with pop-in, ladders, etc, could've been way more polished.
  • gts cut, national dex cut, still stings. By extension the online suite is worse than both x/y and sun/moon
  • Making a lot of TM's single use again, why?
  • Not being able to gigantamax the pokemon you raised, instead you have to catch a separate one in a raid.
  • just general features that should be here but arent. Riding/following pokemon in some capacity, seperate themes for day/night, triple battles/hordes/sos, side mission like USUM. Small little features but add them up, and there's a lot that couldve been here.
  • second half of the game feels blatantly rushed to release the game by deadline. Needs like another 6 months at least,
  • postgame is pretty underwhelming. Huge downgrade from USUM in this regard.

I have more but this is the general gist of it. I give it a 7.5/10. It's better than gen 6 and 7, but doesnt come close to touching the heights of gen 4 and 5.

gen 4 = gen 5 >>>>>> gen 3 > gen 8 > gen 7 > gen 2 > gen 1 >>>>>> gen 6.

Making a lot of TM's single use again, why?

A lot of powerful TMs from gens 5 onward tend to be hard to find and usually only accessible late to post game, presumably because you can use them multiple times. I think the TRs are GameFreak's way of compromising: you can access powerful moves pretty early on, but you can only use them once. At the very least you can obtain multiple TRs rather easily.

That, and I think GameFreak needed some way to incentivize players into checking out the dens.

There's no Elite Four.

I am somewhat disappointed by this. Although I enjoy the Elite 4, I have always wanted their format to change.

I had hoped that this game (and future main series games) would have a top 16 tournament, with you battling the champion after the tournament and Elite 4 as post game.

I am somewhat disappointed by this. Although I enjoy the Elite 4, I have always wanted their format to change.

I had hoped that this game (and future main series games) would have a top 16 tournament, with you battling the champion after the tournament and Elite 4 as post game.
There's a tournament in the game. And you battle the champion after beating it. In Post game you can call upon your rivals and other gym leaders to host tournaments too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom