• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a tournament in the game. And you battle the champion after beating it. In Post game you can call upon your rivals and other gym leaders to host tournaments too

Oh sounds interesting! I never really looked into the post game, haven't received my guide yet and not even half way through the games so had no clue! Thanks for that :giggle:

Welp. Accidentally blew my Master Ball on a GMax Butterfree. :X3: Least it's a good one.

Also I'm not sure but weren't you against the artsyle of the game at the beginning?

I did have gripes, but those mostly faded as the trailers got more polished and as we saw more. The published games don't like nearly as drenched in pink hue as that first trailer did to me, for instance.

Why are there so many workers standing around a mine waiting to battle me instead of doing actual work!

Also why do the female miners look like blond Sonia in a hard hat.

So I've heard there is no way to get Flapple in Shield. What I mean by that is that even if you trade the exclusive item from Sword and give it to Applin, it'll still not evolve. IS this true?

Also can someone explain what's the case with Indeedee? If it's genderlocked in one game, does that extend to breeding as well?

concept: we get voice acting, but everyone speaks in Animalese
If we were friends before we aren't now.

Kidding.

So, other note, anyone know how to balance out my team consisting of two dark type pokemon and soon to gain a third as well as gaining a ghost type later. I was th8nking of swapping My thievul for a Vulpix.

For reference my current team is

Dribly (Drizzile) Water Type
Rouge (Thievul) Dark Type
Damascus (Galar Zigzagoon) Dark-Normal Type
Silt (Rolycoly) Rock Type
Dinadan (Eevee) Normal Type.

Note thay I'm aiming for an Umbreon with my Eevee, though a Sylveon might suffice too.

So I've heard there is no way to get Flapple in Shield. What I mean by that is that even if you trade the exclusive item from Sword and give it to Applin, it'll still not evolve. IS this true?

I evolved one into Flapple on my wife's Shield copy just now with no problem, so what you heard was false.

Can't test Indeedee yet though; she's not far enough into the game.

I evolved one into Flapple on my wife's Shield copy just now with no problem, so what you heard was false.

Can't test Indeedee yet though; she's not far enough into the game.
Then the IGN video about Flapple is incorrect. Thanks :)

I have mixed feelings about the game. Most of the new Pokémon are cool, but not really a fan of the some of them. Which doesn't bother me to much, but there are some decisions that don't make sense. I don't understand why you can't gigantamax any Pokémon of the species, to me it doesn't make it feel special more on the lines of exclusive. I don't really like dynamaxing, it's just a different way of doing z moves, so I was hoping to use the gigantamax because it was slightly cool that they changed form. I don't care for the max raid battles, it's cool but I don't like having to do it to use gigantamax. I also don't understand why they did it this way, its not like in ORAS you had to find a specific steelix to mega. New features should be more accessible in my opinion. I also don't care for the pacing in the game it's a huge mess. It's fast paced to a fault, and then it's so slow. Not to mention the story is so bad. I know sun and moon wasn't a lot of people's favourite, but I really liked the characters in the game. I don't even know any of the characters' names, except for hop because he is always waiting to annoy you. I am probably the only person who thought the starter scene wasn't that cool, but it's also because I didn't really care for the starters. Rillaboom is cool, but the other two are so ugly. I also feel like the gym challenge is hardly any different from any other generation. Also this game is boringly easy, at least in sun and moon z moves might one shot one of my Pokémon. Everyone tells me how much they struggled, I didn't have problems at all. Exp share is really annoying, to me it takes out the fun of training one Pokémon at a time. That being said there are cool new Pokémon, I like the camping, and I like the idea of the wild area, but the execution is poor. I don't like how it's pouring down rain here, but two inches over it's a blizzard. It feels really jarring, there's no flow. When they said weather system I thought breath of the wild, not there's different weather in each part. Overall I would say I don't care for the games. I feel like the series should either die before it gets worse, or have game freak take a long break on the series with a long time to work on the next one. I don't even know who I am for saying that. I still remember opening Pokémon silver for the first time, but the awful music, mechanics, and story make me feel so distanced from the games. I kinda think it would be better to hand the series over to another company. Anyways those are my thoughts, it doesn't bother me if any disagrees. I am happy to see so many got a lot out of the games

It's fast paced to a fault, and then it's so slow. Not to mention the story is so bad.
I don't know if the story is bad, it's more just nonexistent in my opinion (though I guess a bare-bones story could also count as bad). I'm five badges in but I feel like I've accomplished nothing in terms of story. There's no conflict. Trying to win the gym challenge isn't enough story-wise, especially when there's long breaks between challenging each leader, and the sections relating to the legendary Pokemon, i.e. the real story, are rare and limited. I assumed the legendary wolves would play a greater role in the plot, but outside of art and that one encounter in the very beginning of the game, they've been pretty much absent.

I don't know if the story is bad, it's more just nonexistent in my opinion (though I guess a bare-bones story could also count as bad). I'm five badges in but I feel like I've accomplished nothing in terms of story. There's no conflict. Trying to win the gym challenge isn't enough story-wise, especially when there's long breaks between challenging each leader, and the sections relating to the legendary Pokemon, i.e. the real story, are rare and limited. I assumed the legendary wolves would play a greater role in the plot, but outside of art and that one encounter in the very beginning of the game, they've been pretty much absent.
So it's filler?

Just like the anime. Zing!

With 30 hours in the game, the main story and postgame story complete, I thought I would post my thoughts on the game in a short review:

WARNING: I will talk a bit about the story, so be warned. I will put it in inline spoilers

The new Pokemon:
This gen has so many great new designs. I definitely think this gen might be as good as Gen 7 in terms of new Pokemon designs. There are so many Pokemon I still want to use and catch. A solid generation.

The Region:
When seeing Galar in trailers I as really excited for all the different environments to see and explore, and the true beauty of the region. And the game delivered. Amazing big cities, rough desert areas, thick forests, long ranges of open fields, amazing snow routes. The only thing I missed was no real beach route, besides the snowy beach, which was a cool concept so it kind of makes up for it. But the region as overall amazing, and it might have beat out Johto as my favorite region

The characters:
The character designs ere all amazing. There were maybe like, 2 character designs I did not like, and those were in the postgame. But as for the character personalities themselves, I feel like there was one I feel like could have been fleshed out more, along with some of the gym leaders. Marnie is the main character that comes to mind for this. We kind of get why she is traveling, and why Team Yell is following her around, but they just don't do enough with this idea. I feel like Leon and Sonia's former rivalry could have been explained more, since they even bother to mention it. The two hardly interact and you see bits and pieces of something there, but it doesn't go further into it. There is even an NPC that talked about their rivalry like, "Sonia and Leon used to be great rivals, but..." or something like that. But what? I want to know!

The Story:
I feel the same about the story as I feel about the characters, but a little more so. I feel like the plot with Chairman Rose and Oleana was summed up pretty well, and was a solid idea. Hop and Leon's integration in the story was done very well, and the two really grew from it. But I just felt they could have done more. Team Yell felt like they were going to be a part of the plot, along with Marnie, but they really weren't, and I think they could have done more with them. And while the story as solid, it just doesn't really compare to Sun and Moon. I don't expect amazing stories from Pokemon, but after Sun and Moon's amazing story, it just doesn't live up.

Postgame story:
Overall it was kind of meh. I was glad Hop got further development, and this certainly helped to develop Sonia further, who was another character who was needing more development. The sword and shield guy were just plain annoying though, and it was just a pain facing them. But I did like how they chose to finish the plot with Zacian and Zamazenta within the postgame instead of the main story. That was a breath of fresh air.

The graphics:
I thought I would mention them here because while I'm not someone who's bothered too much but poor graphics, I do think they are worth mentioning. The graphics actually look really good in my opinion, on buildings and all that, and a lot of routes, besides the Wild Area. The wild area itself though is definitely not the best in graphical quality, and it is a step down compared to the rest of the region for sure. It's not bothersome, but the overall quality switch is notable.

Difficulty:
If you don't spend too much time in the wild area during the main story, I can imagine that these games could get pretty difficult. Even with several trips The Wild Area, I was just barely on par with Leon's levels in the champion battle. These games certainly aren't the hardest, but they certainly aren't the easiest. But, like the graphics, the difficulty doesn't bother me that much.

The overall level of fun for a Pokemon game:
Despite its flaws, these games are more fun than other Pokemon games, in my opinion. The Wild Area is so fun to explore and bike around, collecting items and catching Pokemon, and doing Max Raid Battles. I could hardly set the game down the entire weekend, and when I get up in the morning I just want to play again. It's so hard to leave it. It gives me that same feeling I got playing BOTW, and I can easily see myself putting at least another 200 hours into these games doing shiny hunting, catching all the Pokemon, doing more Max raid battles, and exploring each crevice of the region to my hearts content.

I'm not sure how I could rate it. Overall, I don't think it is as good as Sun and Moon, but it's near close to it. These games are definitely worth the price, andeasily worth way more of my time.

Boy am I glad that the move relearner is in every Pokemon center. I made my Eevee forget Baby Doll Eyes to avoid accidentally evolving it into a Sylvion instead of an Umbreon, but now I want a Sylveon and I panicked and then I remembered the move relearner dude.

Okay, I finally found something that they truly did drop the ball with:

They could at least pulled a Roxie and had Piers actually sing. They did it before, they could have easily done it again and not go back on their new "we want people to headcanon their own voices for the characters!" rule.

Again, does anyone know if it's feasible to catch Dreepy or Drakloak to use in the story, or is it postgame?

Again, does anyone know if it's feasible to catch Dreepy or Drakloak to use in the story, or is it postgame?
I think you can catch Dreepy before the post game. I believe it can be found in some Max Raid battles, but they can only be accessed after you get the water bike upgrade.

i have not bought the games and i have no plans to. i'm not upset about the dex cut or new pokemon designs. i don't really mind either (i find a lot of the new designs very cute/cool). i've watched several playthroughs and there are so many glaring errors with the graphics, coding, story and characters that i know for a fact it will not be enjoyable for me in the slightest. it reminds me too much of x/y, a game i loathed. i don't really like the new gimmick in this gen. the form changes are neat, but it just seems... like a mix of mega evolution and z moves and i really only liked megas. all in all, it's very apparent the game seems rushed. the pokemon company NEEDS to give game freak a break with this new game a year shit. game freak has such a small amount of employees and they're not willing to hire any more. if they took a good 2-3 years off to all put their heads together and overhaul the graphics/coding, they can make a GREAT game. but they don't, this is how it is now.

also there have been over 100 reports of people saying the new game has bricked/destroyed their switch. yikes!! a lawsuit waiting to happen. i'm glad others are enjoying this game, but i'm giving it a hard pass. it's not worth my time or money, and i'm not risking having my new console be destroyed, if these reports are connected to the game.

It wasnt amazing, my team was level 60 and I one-shotted Leon. Dynamax isn't amazing and if you have the advantage it's easy. Bedes, Marnies stories I felt like they were too short. Hop was really annoying keep talking about the Champion. Leon was the most egocentric champion I ever saw. Magnolia wasnt even needed in the games and Sonia was the only person I really liked tbh. The post-game was stupid and you can't really call it a post-game if you just have to beat dome Dynamax Pokémon and catch the legendary. The Battle Tower is also rather disappointing. Even my parents said that it wasn't worth its money if you have done everything in two days.

My team:

Drumbeat (Rillaboom) level 60
Bolthund level 62
Hitmonlee level 55
Golurk level 60
Farlinks level 56

Thats it and the legendary pokemon of Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom