• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish I could just buy the sweets needed for Milcery's evolution instead of having to hope I get one from the three daily battles I can do at the cafés. Collecting all the Alcremie forms like this is going to be a massive pain.

I mean the dude says if I win the battle I get a treat "on the house" which sure, cool, but why can't I also pay for the things?

I really wish I could just buy the sweets needed for Milcery's evolution instead of having to hope I get one from the three daily battles I can do at the cafés. Collecting all the Alcremie forms like this is going to be a massive pain.

I mean the dude says if I win the battle I get a treat "on the house" which sure, cool, but why can't I also pay for the things?
Savescum?

Obviously GF wants you to suffer for Alcremie

On another note, please, please, please, give us some berry pots or a plot of land or something. I just want to farm berries in piece and have a degree of control over my harvest... There just are so many QoL improvements. I just obtained the Rotom Catalogue and it's great, no more searching for random cardboard boxes

Anyone mostly getting Dreepy sent them through Surprise Trade?

Yesterday I actually got a Grookey and Sobble through Surprise trade so I’m really happy! Sadly they are both males and don’t have a ditto so can’t breed them for others yet.

In previous games/gens, I rarely changed my team later on as I found the grinding to get the to the same level too much of a hassle. In less than 5 mins I already got both the starters to level 40 thanks to the EXP Candy.

Anyone mostly getting Dreepy sent them through Surprise Trade?

Yesterday I actually got a Grookey and Sobble through Surprise trade so I’m really happy! Sadly they are both males and don’t have a ditto so can’t breed them for others yet.

In previous games/gens, I rarely changed my team later on as I found the grinding to get the to the same level too much of a hassle. In less than 5 mins I already got both the starters to level 40 thanks to the EXP Candy.
Yes, why is that? My friend and I have been getting Dreepy left and right.

Yes, why is that? My friend and I have been getting Dreepy left and right.

No idea, you would think that he’s more common than Zigzagoon :lapras:

I tried training a level 1 Dreepy that I got but I personally found they are best off caught in the wild since they evolve so late.

I wouldn't say I've gotten an overwhelming amount of Dreepy in comparison to other things, but they have been rather common (probably the most recurring thing I've seen).

but I feel like the story climax where Chairman Rose decides to initiate the Darkest Day and summon Eternatus to prevent an event 1,000 years in the future crashes and burns pretty hard for me as well. I just feel like this kind of plot twist is the kind of thing we criticize GameFreak for in the newer Generations. I mean, Lusamine does pretty much the same thing in USUM. That's probably not a game you want a comparison to...

Lusamine's goal in USUM was completely different from what Rose was trying to do, and happened under entirely different circumstances. They're not even remotely similar, apart from being basically altruistic.

What I saw was developers standing up and saying, "You know what? We don't like those wacky Brits as much as everyone thinks we do. We're ready to cut more than half of all the old Pokémon from the game, and then lie about why we had to do so."

lol what does Dexit have to do with Game Freak not liking "those wacky Brits"? From where are you even beginning to get that? (And I guess let's ignore that they specifically went and got the British guy on their team to serve as the games' art director so as to provide the setting with a sense of authenticity.)

Lusamine's goal in USUM was completely different from what Rose was trying to do, and happened under entirely different circumstances. They're not even remotely similar, apart from being basically altruistic.

I was also partly referring to the overlapping theme of energy/light with Necrozma. But fair enough.

lol what does Dexit have to do with Game Freak not liking "those wacky Brits"? From where are you even beginning to get that? (And I guess let's ignore that they specifically went and got the British guy on their team to serve as the games' art director so as to provide the setting with a sense of authenticity.)

Now that I think about it, what I said was just stupid. :bulbaFacepalm:

I apologize if I seem a little off right now. I had to fly to a couple of pretty big family get togethers for Thanksgiving and that's been taking up a lot of my time and energy.

So, apparently friendship and affection have merged into one ultimate friendship stat. This effectively makes Sylveon a friendship based evolution along with Espeon and Umbreon; I like how the Eeveelutions have been streamlined with their evolutions between stones and happiness. Furthermore, the friendship requirement needed for friendship based evolution has been dropped from 220 to 160, according to Serebii. This also means, theoretically, that anything caught in a Friend Ball should be able to evolve via friendship immediately; I'd say that's a fair trade-off given how elusive Friend Balls are to begin with.

You know, why make the Escape Rope an unbreakable Key item right as soon as there's pretty much no reason to ever use it?

Last night, I resumed a near-finished playthrough of X that I'd put on pause a while back, and I so do miss having dungeons, and routes with puzzles. Does nobody at GF get the kind of satisfaction you usually get from completing a puzzle? I understand not wanting kids to get lost, but I would think that good game design would avoid that while still being at least a little more complex than a straight line. And it's not like they're averse to having dungeons in Pokémon games anymore, period - most of the ones in Let's Go were kept faithful to the originals. They just... don't include them in their newer region designs.

Oh, also, how did they manage to nerf sitting?????? In XY, you could sit down in certain places, and sometimes it would shift the camera angle to a more dynamic view. You could talk to NPCs that were seated next to you. You could even save your game while sitting, so it was as if your character was actually taking a break in between stretches of travel. In Gen 7, they removed this feature outright, but then brought it back in Sword & Shield as what I can only assume was a response to the criticism about its removal, only now it never changes the camera angle and you can't save or talk to NPCs or do anything while sitting.

Last edited:
Oh, also, how did they manage to nerf sitting?????? In XY, you could sit down in certain places, and sometimes it would shift the camera angle to a more dynamic view. You could talk to NPCs that were seated next to you. You could even save your game while sitting, so it was as if your character was actually taking a break in between stretches of travel. In Gen 7, they removed this feature outright, but then brought it back in Sword & Shield as what I can only assume was a response to the criticism about its removal, only now it never changes the camera angle and you can't save or talk to NPCs or do anything while sitting.
There's this one place in train stations with a bunch of seats around in a circle back to back (I'm not describing it well but I hope it gets the picture?) and there's an NPC sitting ON them but you can't!

I understand not wanting kids to get lost, but I would think that good game design would avoid that while still being at least a little more complex than a straight line.
GameFreak's developers seem to believe that children nowadays have really short attention spans. In their minds, if they include things that require more than two minutes and two brain cells, children will not enjoy/want the game(s). Even if they design a good dungeon that is both complex and not easy to get lost in, to them that means nothing if kids grow bored in it.

Basically GameFreak wants to make PoGO on a console.

Last edited:
(Some of) GameFreak's developers seem to have a "baby boomer"-esque view of children, mainly that they have very short attention spans. In their minds, if they don't remove anything that requires more than two minutes and two brain cells, children will not enjoy/want the game(s). Even if they design a good dungeon, to them that means nothing if kids grow bored in it.

I mean sure, I've read the same quotes you probably have. But that still doesn't explain Let's Go, which I would say was extremely favorable to kids and heavily informed by GF's desire for the games to be more appealing to more casual-type players, and yet it hardly changed any of the original dungeons or route layouts, and I think ultimately that worked out just fine. It's weird because for every instance you can list of them stripping down aspects of the game for the sake of younger players or casual players, you can look around and find another element that you'd think would be a total turn-off to them, such as the grind to get Gigantamax Pokémon.

GameFreak's developers seem to believe that children nowadays have really short attention spans. In their minds, if they include things that require more than two minutes and two brain cells, children will not enjoy/want the game(s). Even if they design a good dungeon that is both complex and not easy to get lost in, to them that means nothing if kids grow bored in it.

Basically GameFreak wants to make PoGO on a console.

If thats the case, we can say Gen 4 remakes bye bye with all the backtracking you need to do, unless they completely re-structure the region, which i don't see happening since its a remake.

If thats the case, we can say Gen 4 remakes bye bye with all the backtracking you need to do, unless they completely re-structure the region, which i don't see happening since its a remake.

The backtracking isn't really hard to fix; they can just give the player (optional?) teleports or make it like SwoShi and replace Fly with a public service like the "Yanmega Express" or something

And again, they didn't really restructure Kanto at all despite LGPE being a remake. Despite them actually being "PoGo on a console."

Yeah, ORAS had a bunch of optional teleports. I mean, even SwSh had one with Opal

But that still doesn't explain Let's Go, which I would say was extremely favorable to kids and heavily informed by GF's desire for the games to be more appealing to more casual-type players, and yet it hardly changed any of the original dungeons or route layouts, and I think ultimately that worked out just fine.
My guess is that if GameFreak were to make Kanto more linear, it would fundamentally alter the region to the point of it being "not-Kanto," meaning it would lose any nostalgic impact, something GameFreak would rather not lose out on. Also, part of me thinks that GameFreak wanted LGPE to be a "play-along" game. The people who started with RBY in the 90s are old enough to have young kids that are roughly around the target audience age of the games. So parents could help their kids through the complex dungeons.

It's weird because for every instance you can list of them stripping down aspects of the game for the sake of younger players or casual players, you can look around and find another element that you'd think would be a total turn-off to them, such as the grind to get Gigantamax Pokémon.
Not really. There's been more smoothing out than wrinkles in my opinion.

And, at any rate, G-max grinding isn't exactly a total turn-off I'd say. It's flashy and exciting at least if you have an online subscription. Plus I doubt most young players/casuals would even care that much about Gigantamax grinding. It would just be some flashy form they happened to come across, no?

And, at any rate, G-max grinding isn't exactly a total turn-off I'd say. It's flashy and exciting at least if you have an online subscription. Plus I doubt most young players/casuals would even care that much about Gigantamax grinding. It would just be some flashy form they happened to come across, no?
GMax grinding is more about checking a bunch of dens, since if you don't see the GMax form, you're not going to get it from the raid battle. And casuals will still see these forms by battling against Gym Leaders, so they could definitely get interested in them.

GMax grinding is more about checking a bunch of dens, since if you don't see the GMax form, you're not going to get it from the raid battle. And casuals will still see these forms by battling against Gym Leaders, so they could definitely get interested in them.
that, plus the events make certain G-Max forms appear far more frequently. I'm practically tripping over G-Max Butterfrees

Also, part of me thinks that GameFreak wanted LGPE to be a "play-along" game. The people who started with RBY in the 90s are old enough to have young kids that are roughly around the target audience age of the games. So parents could help their kids through the complex dungeons.

I thought the same thing, but like... the Internet. The very same smartphones that they're so focused on. The resources to help kids get through a game they're stuck on has never been more readily available, even without their parents sitting right next to them.

I mean, the story shows off several Gigantamax forms and never lets you have any of your own. I think people are at least going to wonder about them and why they can't make their Centiskorch or Grimmsnarl do that. Plus it was a prominently advertised feature prior to release as well.

Generally you join a Max Raid in the hopes of catching whatever it is, unless you're just in it for the candies and TRs (but that doesn't really sound like the mindset of young players or casual players to me). But it seems Gigantamax forms have pretty low catch rates, and there's no other way to get them. That's the grind I'm talking about - seeing this cool thing, going "Cool! I want it!", failing to catch it, and then having to do it again and again until you finally get lucky. It's like waiting for old Legendary Pokémon to just get in the damn ball, except you only get one chance to throw, and if that doesn't work out, then have to actually track down a new one and get a raid going and defeat it again if you want another shot. I don't know that I'd want to bother with all that if I weren't the obsessed Pokémon nerd I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom