• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
as long as you're hosting, your catch rate for G-Max mons is pretty good is what I gathered?

as long as you're hosting, your catch rate for G-Max mons is pretty good is what I gathered?

I've seen that claimed a lot but haven't seen much data to back it up. I've similarly seen it claimed that the host has a guaranteed catch rate but well, that's not how it went for me when I hosted one.

I've seen that claimed a lot but haven't seen much data to back it up. I've similarly seen it claimed that the host has a guaranteed catch rate but well, that's not how it went for me when I hosted one.

Yeah I can't tell you how many times this happened with me hosting and a few people joining for Giga Sandaconda, every time "Oh no! The Pokemon broke free!"

If memory serves, out of all the raids I hosted, I only had a 'mon escape once, and it was a G-Max form. That's out of 40 or so Raid Battles in total? Some of these were single player + AI though and I dunno if or how that might influence things.

I have finally decided
Grookey > Scorbunny > Sobble
Raboot > Drizzile > Thwackey
Inteleon > Rillaboom > Cinderace

And some favs : Nickit - Appletun - Toxtricity - Sinistea - Hatterm - Cursola - Galarian Ponyta - Galarain Zen Darmanitan - Sirfetch'd - Snom - Dragapult

I know i have a grookey fan sign but it is because i am too lazy to change it to a sobble fan cuz Inteleon is the best !

If memory serves, out of all the raids I hosted, I only had a 'mon escape once, and it was a G-Max form. That's out of 40 or so Raid Battles in total? Some of these were single player + AI though and I dunno if or how that might influence things.

I've almost never had any problem catching regular Pokémon from Max Raids, whether I was hosting or not (I think the only non-Gigantamax thing to get away from me was a 5-star Cursola) - so my suspicion is that it's just Gigantamax Pokémon that are harder. How much harder though isn't clear.

I have finally decided
Grookey > Scorbunny > Sobble
Inteleon > Rillaboom > Cinderace

And some favs : Nickit - Appletun - Toxtricity - Sinistea - Hatterm - Cursola - Galarian Ponyta - Galarain Zen Darmanitan - Sirfetch'd - Snom - Dragapult

I know i have a grookey fan sign but it is because i am too lazy to change it to a sobble fan cuz Inteleon is the best !
wow, that's an interesting spread there, friend!
I think...
Sobble >>>>>> Scorbunny > Grookey
Raboot > Thwackey > Drizzile
Cinderace > Rillaboom >>>>> Inteleon
Cinderace is the only one of the starter evos that I like, although I'm warming to Rillaboom. Still picked Sobble, though, because BABY LIZ BOI. I did give him an Everstone, though.
Favs: Falinks - Toxtricity - Runerigus - Orbeetle - Centiskorch - Sandaconda - Dragapult - Drednaw

For me...

Scorbunny=Sobble>Grookey
Raboot>>Thwackey>>>>>>>>>>>Drizzile
Cinderace > Intelleon> Rillaboom

I’ve liked Scorbunny line consistently, looking at this chart, but I don’t really like it that much compared to other starters. As a whole, I found this trio rather underwhelming.

Sobble > Scorbunny > Grookey
Raboot > Thwackey > Drizzile
Cinderace >>> Inteleon > Rillaboom

As a whole, I found this trio rather underwhelming.
Agreed. They feel a lot like main characters in a morning cartoon or furry webcomic, which I am not a fan of. I generally prefer simpler and more monster/animal designs for the starters.

The starters for me

Grookey > Sobble > Scorbunny
Inteleon > Cinderace >> Rillaboom

Overall a very solid trio. I think I still prefer Gen 7's starters, but this line is still very good for sure. The Scorbunny line has even warmed up to me over time, and after seeing the official art, I don't dislike Rillaboom as much.

Oh cool. For me it would be
Sobble >>>>>> Scorbunny > Grookey
Raboot >>>>> Drizzile > Thwackey
Inteleon = Cinderace > Rillaboom.

I don't dislike the Grookey line but it certainly isn't very good.

I just.... but how can you like inteleon???????
It looks cool when it moves. It also has a lot of personality imo. I can understand why people might not like it. My first impression wasn't great either. But the artwork and in game movements won me over.

So I just was about to start the championship battle when surprise surprise, Chairman Rose interrupted and now we gotta deal with the Darkest Day. Arrive in Hammerlocke, run into Raihan, who says they evacuated the city. But... everyone is still there? Not even acknowledging the apocalypse is on their doorstep?

At this point it might sound like nitpicking and overtly negative, but there are so many things in these games combined that just make them feel really unpolished. Like the it has the barest possible to be fit for release. And that's not even accounting for the Dexit, which I still have mixed feeling about.

Also, there are a lot of silly blocks, like in Wyndon for example, where you apparently can't step on the grass cause there's a tiny little ledge. And the city itself is so empty. All these inaccessible storefronts, blocked paths, the ferris wheel is merely there for decoration, every house is an exact copypaste with not even furniture swapped around (and that goes for pretty much every town). And sure, it all looks nice, aesthetically speaking I don't really have any noteworthy complaints, but everything is just nice looking and empty... It feels like it should be a bustling city, but it's really not

And I was totally expecting to be able to access at least part of that mountain on route 10, but no, it's just another hallway. Like, the fact that Slumbering Weald actually had some deadends was legit surprising to me

Not even acknowledging the apocalypse is on their doorstep?

In fairness, that's pretty common for these games. Try flying to Seafolk after Necrozma slurps up all the light in USUM - the sky actually is unnaturally darkened, but everyone's dialogue is the same as usual.

They're very inconsistent about when they choose to have the NPCs acknowledge disasters. The cities around Sootopolis all did when Groudon and Kyogre were awakened, but I don't think anybody in DP talked about the big rave lights filling up sky. I don't think any of the NPCs on the routes near Opelucid cared about the sudden appearance of big ice patches in the middle of the roads or the fact that a flying ship just laid siege to the nearby city.

In fairness, that's pretty common for these games. Try flying to Seafolk after Necrozma slurps up all the light in USUM - the sky actually is unnaturally darkened, but everyone's dialogue is the same as usual.

They're very inconsistent about when they choose to have the NPCs acknowledge disasters. The cities around Sootopolis all did when Groudon and Kyogre were awakened, but I don't think anybody in DP talked about the big rave lights filling up sky. I don't think any of the NPCs on the routes near Opelucid cared about the sudden appearance of big ice patches in the middle of the roads or the fact that a flying ship just laid siege to the nearby city.
I noticed it with Seafolk too that NPCs didn't notice/care. And Sootopolis and Opelucid themselves were at least focused on what was happening right in their city, but such isn't the case with Hammerlocke. I mean, I realise tehy've always been somewhat inconsistent with these things, and it's not like I expect every NPC to react to stuff like this. But they could have the people of Hammerlocke lock their doors, and only leave the PC open and have the NPCs there comment on what's happening

It's just in the little things in this case. TV? Can't watch it, even though there's actual reporters and cameramen that battle and interview you. NPCs that still refer to the mural as if it exists, even though it has been destroyed. Flavour text is far and few inbetween, even things like 'These shelves are packed with Pokemon picture books!' or stuff like that. And I feel like it just really adds up in SwSh, because in general there's already very little interaction with the overworld aside from the roaming 'mons. No dungeons, no puzzles, it's just a ton of hallways

And yet another step backwards for these games. We just came from USUM where one could customize their Ball throw. Yet, you can't do so here; I agree that being able to customize your Dynamax throws as well would have been a strategic gameplay element. It'll probably be a feature in the DP remakes or SwSh2.
Considering the daily pokeball kid on the left side of Motostoke...I feel like there were plans on bringing the customisable throwing animations back. But they were cut for time.

I've hosted like 5/10 G-max raids and the closest I've ever got was trying to catch a 4-star Centiscortch on offline mode. It still busted out...but it busted out on the third wiggle instead of just wiggling once.

They really needed to either make a new ball that has 100% catch rate for Gigantamax pokemon and normal catch rate for all other Pokemon or made them easier to catch. Because after trying a bunch of times my hype for getting even just a Butterfree has gone down considerably.

Like why try anymore if you'll never be able catch these cool new forms that they put so much emphasis on and keep adding limited time Pokemon to?

They really needed to either make a new ball that has 100% catch rate for Gigantamax pokemon and normal catch rate for all other Pokemon or made them easier to catch. Because after trying a bunch of times my hype for getting even just a Butterfree has gone down considerably.
They should've retooled the Beast Ball so that it has a guaranteed catch rate for Gmax 'mons considering it currently has no practical use with UBs gone.

At any rate, have you tried Dusk Balls? I've only had a Dusk Ball fail on me a few times, and generally after the third wiggle.

I've hosted like 5/10 G-max raids and the closest I've ever got was trying to catch a 4-star Centiscortch on offline mode. It still busted out...but it busted out on the third wiggle instead of just wiggling once.

Like why try anymore if you'll never be able catch these cool new forms that they put so much emphasis on and keep adding limited time Pokemon to?
That's odd. So either I'm extremely lucky, you're extremely unlucky, or both. Tbf, I did catch my Centiscorch and Butterfree with Net Balls, that might have helped somewhat

So I've made a decent amount of progress in both games... I just beat Piers in Sword and am about to do the same in Shield. But... oh gosh, how do I put this?

I don't feel like progressing.

Not because I'm hating the games, quite the contrary. I love everything about Galar, but I get the feeling that my character's existence is encroaching on its "natural balance" and other characters' lives. I have this sense of foreboding about ousting Leon and taking everything from him. (By the way, WHO DECIDED THIS WAS OKAY? Lance, Steven, Cynthia, Iris, and Diantha didn't have to go through this all-or-nothing BS! And, well, Alder chose to retire and Kukui was a stand-in for a champion since Alola didn't yet have one.) I hate having to beat Hop and making him feel miserable, and I feel partly responsible for what happened to Bede. I didn't have these misgivings in Gen VII: the people of Alola took things in stride, and there was a conflict I could help end. But here? No one's outwardly doing anything horribly wrong (even Team Yell is just trying to help in their own weird, singular way) and as such I feel like I'm just rubbing innocents' faces into the dirt with my winnings. All my victories feel hollow. Marnie's rivalry is the only one I feel good about.

I'm sure I'll get over it, but... I don't like being the bad guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom