• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's excusable because the Rotom Dex was invented in Kalos.

In that case why didnt they use the Porygon ,that were being developed in Aloha regionz as the basis for the dex like Passio did with their phones.

Also that explanation doesn't work with Charizard being a ride Pokemon.

Pasio doesn't have any wild Pokemon. And the point is that both Rotom and Charizard were imported to Alola for specific tasks. There is a possibility that both of these Pokemon will do something or other in future regions, too, so there doesn't need to be a precedent that they have to be obtainable on top of that.

I'm officially pissed at Leon.

My sister got closer to beating his team than I ever did before training and barring Eternatus, her team was half his level. My team was on par with him before training and I had a counter for his damn haxorous! My sister almost won before she was beaten by his charizard.

Using a Legendary is cheating! I had to use actual strategy and training to win my battle, not just blast through the whole thing with Dynamax Cannon.

You know, I think if I'm feeling the impact of Dexit anywhere, it's in the Wild Area after beating the game. Max Raids are fun and all, but I've completed the Galar Dex aside from Zamazenta, and this place would be a lot more interesting if I had any more reason to care about the Pokémon walking around. A sudden influx of the missing 490 Pokémon, with old Legendaries appearing in rare Raids (kind of like what ORAS did throughout Hoenn after the Groudon/Kyogre climax) would definitely breathe a lot of life and gameplay longevity back into the post-game Wild Area.

My sister got closer to beating his team than I ever did before training and barring Eternatus, her team was half his level. My team was on par with him before training and I had a counter for his damn haxorous! My sister almost won before she was beaten by his charizard.

Now that you mention it, I really must wonder how this sort of thing looks from the perspective of the audience watching the match. You've been going through the Gyms all season with a team of Pokémon that everybody is probably familiar with, except for maybe the fossils if you're using one of those. No Pokémon you could have on your team at that point should seem strange to anybody watching, because they're all species that can be found relatively easily throughout Galar. Only, when it's finally time for the Championship Cup and the battle against the unbeatable Champion Leon, suddenly you roll up with this 65' demonic alien dragon skeleton that nobody has ever seen and blow his famous Charizard to kingdom come with a unique move that's especially effective on Dynamaxed Pokémon. Surely some people are going to question the legitimacy of that. And if you swapped in Eternatus for a Pokémon that had been on your team the whole time, you probably also disappointed some of your fans who were hoping to see your Coalossal or Orbeetle or Umbreon or whoever perform in the finals.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I really must wonder how this sort of thing looks from the perspective of the audience watching the match. You've been going through the Gyms all season with a team of Pokémon that everybody is probably familiar with, except for maybe the fossils if you're using one of those. No Pokémon you could have on your team at that point should seem strange to anybody watching, because they're all species that can be found relatively easily throughout Galar. Only, when it's finally time for the Championship Cup and the battle against the unbeatable Champion Leon, suddenly you roll up with this 65' demonic alien dragon skeleton that nobody has ever seen and blow his famous Charizard to kingdom come with a unique move that's especially effective on Dynamaxed Pokémon. Surely some people are going to question the legitimacy of that. And if you swapped in Eternatus for a Pokémon that had been on your team the whole time, you probably also disappointed some of your fans who were hoping to see your Coalossal or Orbeetle or Umbreon or whoever perform in the finals.
That's part of why I didn't use it. The other part is that if this were real a pokemon like that would likely be banned, especially since it just nearly destroyed the entire country.

I'm sure I dissapointed some fans by swapping my Flygon for a Roselia but I like to pretend that I made a big show of introducing him.

So I just found out that they made a massive diorama of the Wild Area and...
1576623692182.png

1576623729765.png

It looks really very impressive and I dunno why the Wild Area in the game doesn't feel as exciting?

Like, sure I had fun exploring it, but the feeling of amazement worse of pretty quickly...

Maybe it's because you can see more of the wild area at once in the diorama, while gameplay has more of a restricted view being zoomed in on the player and having the popping in and out?

This is one element about Gyms being televised events I'd never considered. I guess if you switch teams constantly people would be used to it but Eternatis has still gotta be a shock.
At least the post-game is a chance to let all your fans see your old Pokémon again.

That's part of why I didn't use it. The other part is that if this were real a pokemon like that would likely be banned, especially since it just nearly destroyed the entire country.

I'm sure I dissapointed some fans by swapping my Flygon for a Roselia but I like to pretend that I made a big show of introducing him.
I didn't use Eternatus because it was much lower level than the rest of my team.
I never thought about having fans. I guess I just expected no one would like me. I wonder how they felt, a) about swapping in Flygon and Noivern for Raihan, and b) for suddenly having a superstrong Dragapult on my team for Leon. I bet my fans like my Centiskorch the best. She's my star battler, my highest level Pokémon, my go-to Dynamax, and my favorite (don't nobody tell Orbeetle, he still thinks he is).

I think people probabky like either my Thievul or my Coalossal the best since they're the ones I use most often. And then I'm sure there are people who are fans of my other Pokemon and think that Thievul and Coalossal are overused.

When I first saw the gym battle scenes in the trailers, I thought it was weird that the player and gym leader had four shadows in an x shape. However, today I saw part of a soccer match while in a restaurant and I noticed that the players had four shadows just like in SwSh. Since the league battles in SwSh seem to parallel soccer, I figure the shadows in the gym leader battles are a neat little reference to the shadows in soccer.

When I first saw the gym battle scenes in the trailers, I thought it was weird that the player and gym leader had four shadows in an x shape. However, today I saw part of a soccer match while in a restaurant and I noticed that the players had four shadows just like in SwSh. Since the league battles in SwSh seem to parallel soccer, I figure the shadows in the gym leader battles are a neat little reference to the shadows in soccer.
It's cause of the floodlights on all sides of the stadium, though it surprises me that GF paid attention to that. I mean, I'm glad they did, but the randomness of what is given attention/priority baffles me, considering the moonwalking mascot...

It's cause of the floodlights on all sides of the stadium, though it surprises me that GF paid attention to that. I mean, I'm glad they did, but the randomness of what is given attention/priority baffles me, considering the moonwalking mascot...

I think it's largely just a matter of how they approach certain things from the outset. People took it the wrong way, but there was that comment someone from GF made about how they spent six months working on getting the grass textures to a point they were satisfied with. I think they put a lot of thought into their aesthetic and design choices, whereas the shortcomings often come from more systemic decisions. The moonwalking wolves are really just a consequence of doing that scene in-engine rather than as a prerendered cutscene (I mean, contrast it with the fucking awesome entrance the wolves make when you're facing Eternatus). I doubt the blocking of that scene was something they dwelt on for a long time during the design phase like how the Trainer Tips signs should look or how lifelike they can make the stadium atmosphere or whatever else. My guess is that it would have been put together after the script for the scene had been worked out and it was decided where it in game it would take place, and from that point they just let the routine walk cycles do the work while adding dialogue boxes at the correct points.

I wonder, if they transitioned to having a full voice cast, might they be motivated to rely less on in-engine scenes and do more of the prerendered ones? Those always look much better - they're the only cases in Sun & Moon where the protagonist was allowed to emote, for example. (Though I'm not sure if it would take more or less time to animate in comparison to how they do it now.)

Oh I absolutely understand they have to prioritise and how certain things might have come to be. And it's not that I think they necessarily should have foregone those stadium shadows in favour of making that wolf scene prerendered. But it's one of the final scenes of the game, right? (I haven't played the post-game yet, so I've only seen the videos of that bit). I just feel like it makes sense to pay more attention to that because it's one of the last story elements the player will see.

Or that restaurant in Hulbury, the Captain's Table. It looks nice, has that awesome view of the harbour and stadium, feels fitting for the town. And does exactly nothing after you've had that bit of story there. And I know there are places like that through previous games as well, but it almost feels weird to have that entire place for one tiny scene that could have taken place elsewhere as well? Same for the not-Nando's in not-Bath. I just feel like it would have made sense to give it a similar feature to the Battle Cafe or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom