• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Gender of Serena's Sylveon

Enzito

Reaction score
So recently there's been some decent topic of discussion surrounding the gender of Serena's Sylveon due to the fact that in JN105, the flashbacks showing it as en Eevee give it the tail markings of a male, and in gen 8, female Eevee are given heart shaped tail markings. This has led some people, including to some extent myself, to suspect that Serena's Sylveon is male since the Pokemon's gender ratio is 87.5% male, and only 12.5% female. However, some people state that the production team confirmed it to be female despite this discrepancy, so I was curious if you know of any official sources that conclusively confirm it female.

off the top of my head I am pretty sure there was a showcase where the females pokemon where given ribbons and the males where given bow ties (or something along those lines like I said off the top of my head)
also Eevee didn't have a gender difference until Lets Go which was released 2 years afterwards so they were probably just redrawing the images from the XY episodes

Yeah, Serena's Sylveon is female, and she was confirmed as such since the XYZ series. I have no idea why exactly the ziggzag tail pattern (which was universal to the species up until Gen 8, where the females were given a tail pattern with larger and rounder markings) was kept. Some say that it was deliberate to keep consistency intact, as Serena's Eevee was introduced prior to female Eevee tail markings being retconned, but it's also possible it was simply an animation oversight of some sort.

That said, because of this whole tail thing I admittedly started to think of Serena's Sylveon as being male-to-female transgender, as imo it explains why the tail pattern was kept "male" even in-universe.

off the top of my head I am pretty sure there was a showcase where the females pokemon where given ribbons and the males where given bow ties (or something along those lines like I said off the top of my head)
also Eevee didn't have a gender difference until Lets Go which was released 2 years afterwards so they were probably just redrawing the images from the XY episodes
Actually, even in Let's Go this wasn't universal: only the Partner Eevee had the heart pattern if it was female, whereas regular female Eevees still had the zigzag pattern. It wasn't until Sword and Shield that female Partner Eevee's tail design was given to the whole species.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom