• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The General Anime Discussion Thread

Should I Watch the Movies, Specials, Shorts, and Pokémon Chronicles in this Marathon?

• Yes

Votes: 188 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 23 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The General Anime Discussion Thread {Formely 'The Pokemon Anime Marathon'}

I noticed you are Gible just a little while after I made that post. Anyway the point is that the thread was a fun place while someone was doing the reviews regularly. People have since then only been reviewing a couple of episodes then disappearing for a long while. I understand your reasons for not reviewing DP just yet though. That said, I'll be back when you are willing to review DP.

Well, I'm not the only one who can do reviews... Anybody's welcome to do them and that most certainly includes DP.

As far as Misty threads go, we have had enough of those. I sincerely hope this thread stops going that path.

*shrugs* Well as long as the people who are blinded by their nostalgia and their weird fetish for a fictional character that hasn't been seen in 5 years, it's the fate of almost any thread. Some people just can't accept that the show no longer wishes to reach them, no longer cares about them.

You have just crossed a line, pal. I'm not taking anymore of your rubbish.

Do you think May and Dawn fans didn't get as attached to them as the old fans did to the original trio?

I guess some people pulled out word from context missunderstanding what i tried to say.Perhaps not wanting was innapropriate word to use and i admit my mistake for that.
What i tried to say is how reason why original series fans reacted worse than AG or DP series did when characters were replaced was probably because at that time formula of characters getting replaced(aside from short exception during OI islands)wasnt establkished yet with noone expecting such thing causing more of shock among people compared to later generations which were already prepared knowing what to expect.

Tldr
You're asking the people in charge of this JAPANESE CHILDREN'S show to care about PEOPLE IN THEIR TWENTIES THAT ARE NOT IN JAPAN over caring about JAPANESE CHILDREN when they design the show and you're asking yourself why people don't take you seriously.

Im not asking anything and im interested into hearing from where are you pulling out assumption how im expecting that writers cater to older fans?

Whole discussion started over would return of older characters(original trio in that case)attract more of fans toward this show with me only stating what i encountered and heard from several people online and in real life.Nothing more,nothing less,and if you doubt in authenticy of my words you can always check by yourself.

Noone ever said how writers should do such thing and how anyone expects from them to do so,so it would be nice if you could stop twisting out what i said rereading my posts.

This. We don't bitch and whine that the show was so much better then and that our favourite characters are the only one worthy of being put on the air. You wonder why people are sick of talking about Misty and the original series, people like you. Each saga, each characters have fans. They just stay silent to not end up like you.

If this applies to me i have to say how im only defending my opinions.If someone is going to start spreading fallacious claims disrespecting my view naturally im going to defend my stance.

I guess some people pulled out word from context

No we understood just fine what you were saying. It's not exactly the first time you said something to that effect. I remember you even doubting that there even was a demand to see those later character come back, cause off course, if we're not constantly turning every thread about our favourite characters or sagas, if we're not constantly whining and bitching that the writers don't care about our favourite characters, then we have absolutely no desire to see them back.

I find it incredibly hypocritical that you will call someone a hater and argue with them ad nauseam for not caring about seeing Misty back on the show and yet you have no problem claiming that subsequent characters have no fandom and that there's no desire to see them back.

where are you pulling out assumption how im expecting that writers cater to older fans?

You're suggesting that the writers bring back the original trio to, and I quote, "bring the show full circle". The only people to whom the show would be brought full circle is the fans of the original series. You're acting the producers and writers to tell their advertisers, who are paying for this show in oreder to reach Japanese children, to go to hell because the want to attract 20 somethings overly nostalgic fans.

If this applies to me i have to say how im only defending my opinions.If someone is going to start spreading fallacious claims disrespecting my view naturally im going to defend my stance.

Oh cry me a river, the whole time I've been here through the end of DP, I can count on one hand the number of your posts that actually were relevant to DP and didn't contain the words, "but I much prefer the original series and Misty is a pure glowing radiant saint that needs to come save this show from perdition. THE WRITERS SHOULD STOP IGNORING THE FANS" Cut to hours of whining and whining and whining and a little bit more whining and again you're wondering why people can't stand it...

- - - - -

But you know what, this thread should be about discussing the anime and the episodes that it's made of. I've yet to see you contribute to reviews or share your thoughts about anything relevant to it. Your just using it to complain about why the writers of a Japanese children's show won't listen to a 20-something non-Japanese guy.

I mean, I'd like May back and I miss Misty, along with enjoying Dawn in the second half of DP, but I can at least see that that won't happen due to the writers catering the show to elementary school children, a demographic that they expect to rotate in/out every 3-4 years. At least May got *five* episodes of screentime in DP. She really got the star treatment.

I find it incredibly hypocritical that you will call someone a hater and argue with them ad nauseam for not caring about seeing Misty back on the show and yet you have no problem claiming that subsequent characters have no fandom and that there's no desire to see them back.

Except i never said how other haracters dont have fandom,or dont have desire to see tham back.What i said is how i noticed how demand for other characters being brought back is smaller compared to demand which can be seen for original trio being brought back through all kind of petitions,complaints etc .
I could be wrong but given how rarely it can be encountered anyone complaining about other groups absence,it can be easily mistaken coming to that conclusion.

You're suggesting that the writers bring back the original trio to, and I quote, "bring the show full circle". The only people to whom the show would be brought full circle is the fans of the original series. You're acting the producers and writers to tell their advertisers, who are paying for this show in oreder to reach Japanese children, to go to hell because the want to attract 20 somethings overly nostalgic fans.

I didnt suggested anyhing,i mentioned what would be good idea imo,with many sharing this view.
And here is the problem,you think that doing this move would turn away from show and franchize in general target audience,while i dont share same sentiment finding it hyocrotical.Small kids would have same reaction to Brock or Misty being brought back,just like they have whenver new character is introduced into this show.
You perfectly well know how games arent main reason behind chaacters being replaced which was already explained couple of times by certain members of pokemon staff,being possible to advertize new games without necessarily new characters being added to cast whenever new set of games is released.
As its been showed several times advertisers had no problems with Brock staying in cast for several years when he stopped existing in games,didnt cared when several female protagonists including males were ignored like they dont exist for favor of keeping older characters in.Like its been showed with HGSS remakes its possible to properly advertize new game without new characters joining in.

Unlike you i dont think this move would make them lose fans(small kids) but could gain more of them which was my point from start.

Oh cry me a river, the whole time I've been here through the end of DP, I can count on one hand the number of your posts that actually were relevant to DP and didn't contain the words, "but I much prefer the original series and Misty is a pure glowing radiant saint that needs to come save this show from perdition.

In majority of threads where i mentioned said subject was either in threads which were made to discuss this,in threads which werent speciically about this subject but had connections with it(for example threads like "What would you like to see happen in show"),or replying back to posts from someone who brought up this subject with usual claims like "said chracter is useless background who never did anything"defending it and disagreeing with those statements.

But you know what, this thread should be about discussing the anime and the episodes that it's made of. I've yet to see you contribute to reviews or share your thoughts about anything relevant to it. Your just using it to complain about why the writers of a Japanese children's show won't listen to a 20-something non-Japanese guy.

Finally something we agree on.This thread should be about reviewing episodes so im not sure why this discussion even started in first place.

Except i never said how other haracters dont have fandom.

Fine, you didn't say it. You just heavily implied it and conveniently said that only the original series was important enough to have their favourite characters brought back...

You perfectly well know how games arent main reason behind chaacters being replaced which was already explained couple of times by certain members of pokemon staff

Yeah, Shudo said they got rid of Misty because the ratings were going down, therefore they needed to refresh the show and axed the character who brought the least to the show... I fail to see how bringing that character back would help the ratings since it's the reason she's gone in the first place. But whatever, let's not listen to economic arguments, let's not listen to the people who worked on the show. Let's listen to the irrational 20-somethings who can't let go of their fetish for a 10-years old girl...

In majority of threads where i mentioned said subject was either in threads which were made to discuss this,in threads which werent speciically about this subject but had connections with it(for example threads like "What would you like to see happen in show"),or replying back to posts from someone who brought up this subject with usual claims like "said chracter is useless background who never did anything"defending it and disagreeing with those statements.

Right... you keep telling yourself that.

Finally something we agree on.This thread should be about reviewing episodes

Have you even ever reviewed an episode on this thread or did you just come to bash anybody who didn't treat Misty like the greatest character ever created in fiction? Just curious.

so im not sure why this discussion even started in first place.

Scott made a comment about Misty failing to catch Jigglypuff, I teased him about being a Misty, you fanwanked and destroyed the lightheartedness and camaraderie of the thread. :p

Fine, you didn't say it. You just heavily implied it and conveniently said that only the original series was important enough to have their favourite characters brought back...

No i only stated how demand for original trio out there is bigger than its for other groups from what i noticed with many people who no longer watch this show claiming to go back if this happens.
I encountered good doze of AG or DP fans who still watch this show and would like that their favorite character returns,but unlike its case with original fans i never met anyone from AG or DP generation who quitted with this show having any desire to return even if their favorites are returned.
Group with biggest demand has biggest chance.

Yeah, Shudo said they got rid of Misty because the ratings were going down, therefore they needed to refresh the show and axed the character who brought the least to the show...

True,but its needed to be pointed out how reason why ratings dropped werent because of Ash,Misty or Brock.It was because of writers poor treatment of things.
Reasons why good chunk of fans left at that time were:
-too many fillers
-drop of GS ball and some leaving of Ash older pokemon(you would be surprised how many people were pissed when Charizard left thinking at that time how his departure is permanent),aswell because one member of original trio got boot.

I fail to see how bringing that character back would help the ratings since it's the reason she's gone in the first place.

Because writing has improved not being anymore in Johto days where plots were butchered left and right being axed without closures,because writing became more consistent giving proper focus to rivals,pokemon and characters aswell demand which is out there meaning how people who wants return of older characters would go back to series in that case.Considering how demand from fans which quitted with show(quitted,not those who sticked with it) only exists for original trio return means how return of any other group wouldnt attract older fans back to anime.
Math is quite simple,if target audience is kept(and no reason why it wouldnt be) and if this move brings more of older fans to show(i already mentioned who would be attracted,group which watched original series) that would mean more viewers(target auduence plus older fans which cameback).Formula of show wouldnt have to change,writers would still cater to target audience promoting games with difference being that instead of new,older characters are reused with older fans coming back being bonus(possibly gainiung some benefit from it).

From where you get idea that its expected that nintendo and writers turn show 360% degree(because bringing older characters counts as minor change) to cater to older fans is beyond me.

But whatever, let's not listen to economic arguments, let's not listen to the people who worked on the show. Let's listen to the irrational 20-somethings who can't let go of their fetish for a 10-years old girl...

Did i ever said how anyone should listen to me?No i stated what is my view on this,not sharing same opinion as you do.
But i guess to you anyone who disagrees with your view is "irrational",

Have you even ever reviewed an episode on this thread or did you just come to bash anybody who didn't treat Misty like the greatest character ever created in fiction? Just curious.

As a matter of fact i did,and if you go back to track down my posts you can see for yourself.Also i never bashed anyone or anything,only defending characters whih were degraded not being given credit where credit is deserved.
Unfortunately considering how most of degrading Misty received in this thread it happens out that most of discussions were about her.If you havent noticed i wasnt the only one who didnt agreed over some of things you stated about chaacters.

Most numerous number of discussions after this was about May.

Scott made a comment about Misty failing to catch Jigglypuff, I teased him about being a Misty, you fanwanked and destroyed the lightheartedness and camaraderie of the thread. :p

It was more that you tried to imply how Misty never did anything being useless,with me only disagreeing with your claims which for some reason growed into this.

Last edited:

Its obvious that you can't recognise nor can you take a joke very well about your favourite character.

Neither person was being serious. We joke around a bit. Its not that Misty is the only target.

Last edited:

I noticed you are Gible just a little while after I made that post. Anyway the point is that the thread was a fun place while someone was doing the reviews regularly. People have since then only been reviewing a couple of episodes then disappearing for a long while. I understand your reasons for not reviewing DP just yet though. That said, I'll be back when you are willing to review DP.

As far as Misty threads go, we have had enough of those. I sincerely hope this thread stops going that path.

I stopped mine since it appeared no one read them...I will pick them up again this week through,not finishing what one started is lame :p

This has gone on long enough. Let's get back on topic and stop fighting about Misty please.

The last time I tried to watch a certain block of the anime, episode after episode, was a little over a year ago, with me starting at the beginning of the AG series. I stopped my run-through about 35 episodes in, just before Ash challenged Brawly and got his Knuckle Badge. I can't remember why I stopped so suddenly, but it's likely because I got bored of seeing jack happening during that Dewford area.

Nowadays I'll watch episodes one at a time, and strangely enough, the ones I do watch are the shipping episodes or the cameo episodes. Say what you want about shipping, I like them, and if the episode is shipping-centric, it gives me something new to look at and keep my interest in the episode, the best case examples being Anabel's and Aoi's arc. As for the cameo episodes, they're cameos. They're practically guaranteed to be exciting.

The one episode that breaks from the norm or the exceptions I mentioned that I like to watch is Ash's battle with Spencer. Now that was an exhilarating match, with a combination of using traditional battle strategy and manipulating nature to Ash's and Spencer's advantage.

I guess I just need an "oomph" to get back into watching the regular episodes again.

Why don't you try to watch Best Wishes since it just started? The start of a new saga is always the best time to try to get back into it.

If not, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe watching Pokemon on an episode to episode basis just isn't your thing after Kanto/Orange.

"For Crying Out Loud"
This ep was fun. Kasumi/Misty gettin' lost with a spoiled cry baby Marill. But, seriously that damned thing cried more then Togepi. Satoshi/Ash's Chikorita what a cool way of usin' Razor Leaf never knew it could be used like that. Misty's Poliwag she caught I had forgot all about it. I hated Misty for gettin' all pissed at Marill for not bein' able to use it's super sonic hearin' like a adult one would. I really thought that Misty was gonna get Marill they looked like they had a real connection. This ep was fun, n I'm glad Brock/Takeshi finally found a girl who liked him. Boomerang is airin' this season n I haven't seen really any of it at all so I was curious bout' the famous long Johto/Jouto season ppl keep talkin bout' so I'm watchin' for the first time ever these eps. It was funny seein' Ash carry round Togepi this ep and Misty risk her life just to save Marill we got some character development for her.

Last edited:

I never thought Misty would capture Marill simply because Tracey had a Marill and that would have felt odd to me.

I never thought Misty would capture Marill simply because Tracey had a Marill and that would have felt odd to me.

I thought so cause' of the way they bonded like the rich girl woulda gave Marill to Misty/Kasumi.

Lo prometido es deuda.

Disclaimer:
These first impressions are old,so they might not reflect what I think of the episodes right now,and I probably don't remember their contents.

Shell Shock
elmisteriodekabuto.png

-"This seems like the usual scenery now...Blue skies,blue water,and our heroes riding on lapras for a new tropical adventure....
While we are stuck on this studio..."

-Oooh, finally an episode about kabuto.
-They keep getting attacked by giant rocks...how fun...
-Red moon makes them revive....for no reason at all...
...At last this shot is really really pretty

luna.png

So.Boring...Kabuto is based on such a cool animal and the episode is so,so boring...And instead focusing about on the cool characteristics of kabuto its more about some stupid magic....and they don't even explain anything about
this old man or how he got to know of that "prophecy" 2.5/10.

Stage fight!
Luchaenelescenario.png

-They talk.So amusing.
-Omg...they didn't notice it was Lip-Syncing?So naive.
-"Wow!Ash really knows what he is talking about!"
"...Thats because he is just repeating what Brock said..."

-Awwn....Raichu only wants a huuuug.
-Jessie commands Weezing.Cool.
-I have to laugh at how Misty does absolutely nothing and even disappears for a second...At last Tracey helps blast TR.

Raichu was cute.That is it.3/10

Bye Bye Psyduck
Adiospsyduck2.png

-Since when is Misty so worried about the duck...Last time something like this happened she was HAPPY psyduck disappeared.
-"Since when are you so worried about Psyduck?" Oh Ash,you read my mind :D
-"I-Its not like I'm worried about psyduck!" ...this line screams tsundere...

A voice shouts from afar..

N***str "SHE IS NOT A TSUNDERE.ARGGGGGGGUUUUUH".
-Misty says she would love to capture one of the Dragon types that live in the ocean.....She HAS seen all of them before, and did absolutely jack to try and capture them.
-Misty?Battling someone?Wow.That is new.
-Love how Jessie slaps people with her wig.
-"You haven't battled in some time!Are you sure you remember how to do it?:D" See,Misties?See how we don't make this stuff up?
-Goldeen OHKO!
-"Oh,I LOVE your staryu!"
"Oh thanks your tentacruel is cool too!"
"Oh thanks, ha ha ha h-"
LETS FIGHT OUR PETS TO THE DEATH.
petstothedeath.png

-The way Psyduck flexes it muscles... xD
-LoL.Misty launches an empty pokeball.How illustrative.
-How...how can you say golduck is cute?!Golduck is pwnsome.Not cute.A meowth is cute.A golduck is pwnsome.
-Tracey ships PsyduckxMisty.
-Misty fangirling over Golduck.Ho boy.
-MaITrina will release her pokemon by herself! This is how Misty should be...a real action girl
-Golduck walks and keeps walking and doesn't even stare...knocks out Arbok in the process....AND Blows shit up with Hyper Beam.Cute?Suuure CCatzumee.
-Ash thinks their battle is soooo interesting...
Adiospsyduck3.png

-...And I agree with him...2 attacks and its over?Boooring.
-You can play new pokémon to all the new chick trainers...
But I know what you are
What you are,Golduck.

-Depressed Misty?This episode wins.
-Ok...So what was the glowing tail about then?...I hate it when they throw stuff around like that...
-"Misty proved to be decided on her goal of becoming a master!be aware Ash,you have competition now!"hahahahahahahhahahahahaha
no,not really.

Amusing episode,both Marinna and Golduck were pretty fun!:D 8/10.Battles were too short/unimpressive.

Last edited:

I stopped reviewing because I kind of forgot and finished my marathon ages ago.XD

Then Australia had that massive delay in showing new episodes and I kind of left the anime section. I'm only back to see what's going on lately in this particular thread since this thread was the last thread I actually enjoyed here. If you want I can post again to get this back on track. Though I'll probably have to subscribe to this so I don't look at any other sections since I'm still trying to avoid the rest of the section.XP

Australia started up season 12 and 13 at the same time on free to air. So I'll be happy to review again.

I have tried to watch japanese best wishes but I don't think I'll be reviewing them yet. Mainly because after alot of thought on why I'm finding them boring to sit through I realised today it mightbe just me. Wish I had this thought sooner before I accidently picked out things I thought might have hurt my enjoyment in my blogs which obviously aren't the problems. As usual I overlook the simplist explanation and jump the gun too fast.=/

I found out I'm once a dub fan always a dub fan if you get my drift.

While I do enjoy japanese episodes, I find I only seem to enjoy them alot when they're played on a special occasion not on a weekly bases or one after the other.

English episodes I enjoy constantly one after the other.

So I'll have to adapt my preference of watching into anything I review. English episodes I can review constantly. Japanese episodes I'll have to slip a few here and there inbetween when I feel like watching them.

I think I have some subconscious preference to the dub I never really noticed before. Yeah I'm very weird.XD

I do have a few japanese DVD's (that I absolutely love)that weren't in my review last time. I'd like to eventually review them when I am in the mood to watch japanese. I'm already thinking that one of them would be perfect for christmas along with all the christmas dub episodes.=)
That's definately a special occasion.^-^

Oh yeah I will probably one day review a japanese best wishes episode. Not now though. I'll be waiting till the english dub and I get a japanese best wishes episode DVD in my hand and treat it the same as my other japanese DVD's. I'm sure I'll enjoy it alot better that way and be less biased.=)

At the moment I'm a bit sick so I'm not exactly in the mood to review today.

However if everyone okay with it I'll be hoping to review the first few season 12 episode since there'll be a few which have aired and 1 season 13 episode. Maybe 2 if I take too long.

Lo prometido es deuda.

Bye Bye Psyduck
Adiospsyduck2.png

-Since when is Misty so worried about the duck...Last time something like this happened she was HAPPY psyduck disappeared.
-"Since when are you so worried about Psyduck?" Oh Ash,you read my mind :D
-"I-Its not like I'm worried about psyduck!" ...this line screams tsundere...

A voice shouts from afar..

N***str "SHE IS NOT A TSUNDERE.ARGGGGGGGUUUUUH".
-Misty says she would love to capture one of the Dragon types that live in the ocean.....She HAS seen all of them before, and did absolutely jack to try and capture them.
-Misty?Battling someone?Wow.That is new.
-Love how Jessie slaps people with her wig.
-"You haven't battled in some time!Are you sure you remember how to do it?:D" See,Misties?See how we don't make this stuff up?
-Goldeen OHKO!
-"Oh,I LOVE your staryu!"
"Oh thanks your tentacruel is cool too!"
"Oh thanks, ha ha ha h-"
LETS FIGHT OUR PETS TO THE DEATH.
petstothedeath.png

-The way Psyduck flexes it muscles... xD
-LoL.Misty launches an empty pokeball.How illustrative.
-How...how can you say golduck is cute?!Golduck is pwnsome.Not cute.A meowth is cute.A golduck is pwnsome.
-Tracey ships PsyduckxMisty.
-Misty fangirling over Golduck.Ho boy.
-MaITrina will release her pokemon by herself! This is how Misty should be...a real action girl
-Golduck walks and keeps walking and doesn't even stare...knocks out Arbok in the process....AND Blows shit up with Hyper Beam.Cute?Suuure CCatzumee.
-Ash thinks their battle is soooo interesting...
Adiospsyduck3.png

-...And I agree with him...2 attacks and its over?Boooring.
-You can play new pokémon to all the new chick trainers...
But I know what you are
What you are,Golduck.

-Depressed Misty?This episode wins.
-Ok...So what was the glowing tail about then?...I hate it when they throw stuff around like that...
-"Misty proved to be decided on her goal of becoming a master!be aware Ash,you have competition now!"hahahahahahahhahahahahaha
no,not really.

Amusing episode,both Marinna and Golduck were pretty fun!:D 8/10.Battles were too short/unimpressive.

I love Bye Bye Psyduck. I agree that Golduck and marinna was pretty fun.=)

Last edited:

Bye Bye Psyduck was a good episode. Golduck was funny and awesome. Althought the ending was a bit disappointing.

The writers were so anti-evolution back then. Since we were all kids back then we did not follow spoilers online, so when I was watching that ep I really did think Psyduck evolved.

Oh well, at least it was a good episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom