• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The General Anime Discussion Thread

Should I Watch the Movies, Specials, Shorts, and Pokémon Chronicles in this Marathon?

• Yes

Votes: 188 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 23 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The General Anime Discussion Thread {Formely 'The Pokemon Anime Marathon'}

I never thought Misty would capture Marill simply because Tracey had a Marill and that would have felt odd to me.

Speaking of Tracey and Pokemon...

Tracey cameoing in a Smeargle episode in Johto.

Tracey actually getting a Smeargle.

That should have totally happened.

Bye Bye Psyduck was an OK episode, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't too good either. But Golduck battling was awesome in its own right. Imagine if that was actually the little old Psyduck, epic battles would have been in store in the future had that been the case.

Tracey actually getting a Smeargle.

That should have totally happened.

Tracey never got any new Pokemon ever at all. Not even his Scyther evolved.

LOL.

Imagine if that was actually the little old Psyduck, epic battles would have been in store in the future had that been the case.

If Misty ever did get a Golduck she would have had epic battles but...we couldn't have that. Apparently the writers made an effort to have Misty do as little battling as they could possibly get away with.

"Tanks Alot"
First I wanna say,4kids"A lot" is two words not one. With that I liked this ep I caught it on Boomerang today. I remember when I was like 4 or 5 or 6 I thought that the pokes at the end of the openin' all belonged to Ash n Co./Satoshi-Tachi I was like,"Dang! Ash got a Gyrados!". I always wondered what happened to Togepi's feet when it's in it's ball form. Sentret wasn't all that awesome to me it didn't seem like that awesome a Pokemon. Pikachu, Koujiro/James, Jessie/Musalina, Satoshi/Ash,Brock/Takeshi,Misty/Kasumi, Nyasu/Meowth, and Sentret all bein' dressed up in war cloths n plannin' out a strategy to take down the tank was funny. Common enemies workin' together for the success of their goals. OK, I thought Psyduck couldn't Swim but it was swimmin' perfectly in this ep for a Poke that can't swim, cause in Pokemon Chronicles it was wearin' a floaty to help stay a float at the Cerulean/Hanada gym.The music that played when Lizardon/Charizard melted the window was action packed. Junsa/Jenny givin' Ash n Co. praise for the tank causin' collateral damage wasn't fair since it was TR's tank anyway. James mispronouncin' Misty,"Missy" was too funny n her reaction. Togepi drivin' the tank was funny.

Misty:Your not driving until your 18!

This line just reeks of 4kids rewrite, by the way.

Pokekaroakemon I remember that. I liked the song that played,"Pikachuuuu you are my brother, I choose you." that singers got some real talent.

Yeah, a lot of those Johto eps have random lines that are just straight 4kids.

I dunno, I found that line to be cute. It got what was the plot and arguably the point of the episode across in a funny manner, it addressed something the American culture gets, it was cute.

Maybe I'm just overly accepting. :3

While I do like some of the 4kids lines, most of the time when someone references something in American culture, or the characters call each other "pet names" (like Brocko or Mist, or Jess), its all 4kids.

LMAO, half the things about the show people once thought was because of 4kids.

Especially during Johto, where the eps seemed to exist solely for 4kids to play around with since there was little to no plot in the show at the time.

CITV just aired the first 2 of the Galactic episodes...and wow. I love how Cynthia gets so much attention for being beautiful etc, yet throughout the second episode, her face looked rather emotionless, if a little miffed xD.

Also, I was just reminded of why I like Mars =3. Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit were adorable; shame that for "legendary" Pokémon, they were captured so easily.

Can't wait for part 3.

Since i started rewatching some of AG series,i might aswell review some of episodes from 7th season.

"What You Seed Is What You Get!"
It was pretty good episode,focusing on having Treecko learning bullet seed,providing some entertaining moments.Team Rocket as usual provided humor(it was funny when they thought Electrode was watmel just to end up being blasted off).Natasha was ok character and whole double battle between Treecko and Corphish vs Grovyle and Slugma was good showing impressive moves from both sides.I aleady forgott how resistant Ashs Corphish really is,taking so many attacks,though granted it did used protect.Natasha strategy on focusing all attacks on main source of problem seemed to be good in end paying off by Treeckos defeat once when defense Corphish provided was gone.Ah yes as usual TR tried with giant robot in form of Cacnea to mess up plan but everything ended well with Treecko finally leaning new attack.
Overall nice episode,had interesting moments so ill give it 7/10.

"Love At First Flight!"
Not a particulary good episode imo,but it had some nice parts.In here we have another one of those examples of existing love betwee two people with each side having problems to express what they feel toward each other doing in little different way.Giving to humans names of Romeo amd Juliet while it fitted its purpose was kinda unoriginal but whatever lets go back to point of episode.Episode introduced in nice way two new pokemon being Volbeat and Illumise with their performance looking nice until they fell of in lake needing to be saved.Romeo as it has been showed had felings toward Juliet but had trouble in expressing what he feels,being good idea from May to trick Ash into dressing himself like girl(Ash wearing wig and Juliets clothes was epic being nice throwback to Kanto days)in order to help Romeo to overcome his fears which semed to payed off in end with Romeo picking himself up trying to save captured Illumise impressing Juliet in end.
Episode had happy ending connecting together Illumise and Volbeat along with their owners but it wasnt something particulary good not being my kind of taste.
Overall ill be generous and give it middle grade being 5/10.

"Let Bagons be Bagons!"
Whole episode with Bagon trying to fly was meh but as it went on things started to hook up becoming more interesting.Michelle was solid character and i finded interesting that she used computer equipment(kind of in form of shades)in order to better determine pokemon speed and agillity being of good use in battle.Brocks flirting as usual was unavoidable,with battle between Pikachu and Bagon starting out decent,being possible for anyone to win until Team Rocket interrupted it which i didnt welcomed but it was cool seeing Meowth flying with jetback stealing Bagon(i give them that).Story about Bagon wanting to learn to fly despite being impossible was ok serving as moral lessn of never giving up and his achievemnt of his dream flying with help of jetback in end resulted with evolution which was ice way to end episode.
I give it 6.5/10.

"Princess and The Togepi!"
It was great seeing Misty again with new look and whole plot of episode was pretty good.It was nice seeing Ash new friends meeting her,getting to know each other(although Misty already heard about both May and Max from Ash of screen).Episode had some funny moments and interacting between Misty and other characters was pretty good(one of funnies moments was classic ear pull of Brock sadly giving idea to Max who used it in later episode in more lame way).Princess Sara and whole royal family made this episode more unusual and i must say that Colonel Hanson is a great villain with his bug types giving Misty a hard time.I enjoyed in his cruel,yet cold attitude and did i mentioned how Shedinja is one of my favorite pokemon?
All in all,great episode.It had nice suspence builder toward second part and good plot.I give it 8.5/10.

"A Togepi Mirage!"
Second part was better than first one,thats for sure.Whole story about paradise existing for Togepi made at that time look Togepi line as being very rare and something special.It was nice seeing Mistys Togepi evolve into Togetic in order to protect other Togepi using some new attacks like barrier from Hanson and his army of Ninjask and Shedinja with whole moment of Misty sending out Gyarados to crush them being cool.Goodbye scene between Misty and Togetic was very touching being full of emotions and it was sad seeng him go as portal to Togepi kingdom closed down.
Too bad that Misty left because it would be nice if she could stayed,but episode served its purpose closing down one of unfinished chapters(at least) in her story being Togepi.
Episde was great and it wouldnt be fair from me to give it any less than 9/10.
This two parter is one of my favorites in this anime.

That Volbeat/Illumise ep is notable if only because its the only time Ash crossdressed that series. He does it once a saga, and in DP he does it in that maid cafe ep.

That Volbeat/Illumise ep is notable if only because its the only time Ash crossdressed that series. He does it once a saga, and in DP he does it in that maid cafe ep.

I just don't understand why he just Dent wear a outfit like Dento's.

I didn't like Misty's cameo episodes all that much. It could have been much better. Fast forward to DP and May had a great cameo. Shows the improvement in writing that DP had.

I just don't understand why he just Dent wear a outfit like Dento's.

It's a maid cafe...I doubt they have any spare outfits for guys since the only people serving there are female.

I didn't like Misty's cameo episodes all that much. It could have been much better. Fast forward to DP and May had a great cameo. Shows the improvement in writing that DP had.

May cameo'd in 5 episodes over Misty in 2. Yeah.

Misty gets a cameo that has a plot befitting a movie, a new and somewhat intimidating villain, and showcases two Pokemon kicking ass. This is all in two episodes.

May gets a cameo concerning a souped up Contest, gets a rival fight, and showcases 3 Pokemon kicking ass. This takes 5 episodes.

I think I'd rather have the Misty cameo over May's, but both are really awesome in their own right.

/bias.

I guess we just have to wait and see why Dawn has a reason to come to Unova.

I loled.... hard... a few times whil reading this review. I think it's even snarkier then when I reviewed it though I agree it's a good episode.

Why,thank you.I doubt the next ones will be able to top it,but its a still a big compliment coming from you :D

Disclaimer:
These first impressions are old,so they might not reflect what I think of the episodes right now,and I probably don't remember their contents.

The Joy of Pokemon
Lajoydelospokemon.png

-Ash sure likes to keep his ball clean...polishing it all the time like that....
-Just 5 minutes onto the episode ,and Tracey has already mentioned at last 5 different kind of scalar units.I love this kid and his numerical facts :D
-Giant Magikarp...?...GASP.NO.ITS A TRAP.ITS TEAM ROCKET SUBMARINE!RUN AWAY.
-Joy with a tan.
-Omg.Magikarp blushing.So adorable on so many levels.
-Oh god...How much do I hate those dub insert songs....
-Oh god jiglugk noooooooo
-I love how Misty is the only one who stays on her boat while everyone else goes to dive in search of an adventure.
-Magikarp torpedo!
-Magikarp vs RoboMagikarp!

Nice episode,It was interesting to see a different kind of Joy.7/10.

Navel Manouvers

-Nice boat...
-Sparkle*ching* BD
-Lame Ship tease is lame...
-What does hiking a mountain have to do with being a trainer?
-Not even flinching...this guy is creepy.
-Am I...Am I supposed to be surprised by the fact he is the leader...?
-Sculpting...Ice...what does that have to do with being a good trainer?
-How...convenient that Charizard´s flame accidentally sculpts a perfectly shaped sledge.
-Random dub song is random.

One word: lamelamelamelamelamlelamelamelame.
Why...why would you use an electrode in the race!?!?In what way could a ball help you!??
In fact,why do they need THREE pokemon?They only need one to direct the ice thing...So why three?
Why did Ash need pikachu and Squirtle?They did absolutely nothing but stand there.Was it just for aesthetic purposes?

I don't even know what I watched...it was all so boring...the leader was boring and Misty admiration of him felt so bloody forced.
2/10

Snack Attack
Robodecomida.png

-Lapras swims quietly in the background while they talk and Togepi moves its arms around...Little details like this=signs of good animation.
-Bulbasaur torture.Yes,I love it.
-*Cought*
ShinyBWeyes.png
You had more than 10 years to get used to them,haters!
COUGHT

-Oh look at this,Miss "elite-4-trainer-thanks-to training-from-hell-off-screen!"Misty sends Goldeem against Snorlax...besides the fact that,you know,there's no water so there is no way it can battle at all...Who said that she would never make that mistake and it was one of the reasons it could in no way ever that goldeen in episode 2 could be hers?I think its name started with pip...
-James with Spanish Ascent.Sexy
-This episode is like,the anti-kantofiller to that snorlax episode.
-Lol,Multi-colored markers.
-"SNORLAX, GETTO DAZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
-Special abilities?What?whats up with the cheesy explanation? Why couldn't they just say that Snorlax,while eating the fruits,spares around the seeds that will make new
plants grow...like animals do in real life.You know,that could be an Aesop that would actually make sense!

Why,thank you.I doubt the next ones will be able to top it,but its a still a big compliment coming from you :D

You always sell yourself short, but you can use your cheerleader powers to guide you on the path to bitchiness :D

-I love how Misty is the only one who stays on her boat while everyone else goes to dive in search of an adventure.

Wel inn certen reddhead's defenze, it'z nut likke shi haz a goll dat requirez off er two meat end fynd nyuu waters pokamonz. Itz nut likke er goll haz two dew wit waters.

Why...why would you use an electrode in the race!?!?In what way could a ball help you!??

Actually that makes sense since in bobsleigh you have to weigh a lot in order to gain speed while offering as little resistance to the air as possible. What doesn't make sense is how Ash won when he and his 3 pokémon combined weighed less than Danny... let alone his pokémon.

Sorry for the random Canadianess :D

I don't even know what I watched...it was all so boring...the leader was boring and Misty admiration of him felt so bloody forced.
2/10

I totally agree...

-Oh look at this,Miss "elite-4-trainer-thanks-to training-from-hell-off-screen!"Misty sends Goldeem against Snorlax...besides the fact that,you know,there's no water so there is no way it can battle at all...Who said that she would never make that mistake and it was one of the reasons it could in no way ever that goldeen in episode 2 could be hers?I think its name started with pip...

lol just lol :D

It's called "fanservice" man..

Fanservice that's somethin' I don't get the kids in this show r just that kids 10-15 year-olds aint got nothin' on their bodies fully developed. How the heck is a 10-year-old boy dressed up as a maid durin' a comical scene fan service. Heck, you could call Pikachu, Turtwig/Naetle, n Pochama/Piplup's dress ups fanservice aswell then. I see fanservice be somethin like,"Excel Saga" in which at some scenes you see girl's you know whats. I just can't believe some people look for the smallest bit of sexual stuff n a kids cartoon.

I would comment on these more, but every time I read an old episode review, I get reminded of how little I remember from the episode so I feel kinda left in the dark XD I do remember these two episodes since I watched them recently though :p

-What does hiking a mountain have to do with being a trainer?

Ask Red...I think that this moment is obviously foreshadowing Ash will win the league, become champion, give up his title and become a hermit on a cold, desolate mountain. Yupyup.

-Not even flinching...this guy is creepy.
-Am I...Am I supposed to be surprised by the fact he is the leader...?

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY...ugh, and the fact that Misty had a crush on him just added to the squick...Jeez Misty, what's with you and your taste in men? XD

ShinyBWeyes.png

You had more than 10 years to get used to them,haters!

NOOOOOO Don't say that! D:< It's...It's DIFFERENT...His eyes are like that 24-7 now...it's not special anymore! *goes in emo corner*

._.

no comment...

----

Fanservice that's somethin' I don't get the kids in this show r just that kids 10-15 year-olds aint got nothin' on their bodies fully developed. How the heck is a 10-year-old boy dressed up as a maid durin' a comical scene fan service. Heck, you could call Pikachu, Turtwig/Naetle, n Pochama/Piplup's dress ups fanservice aswell then. I see fanservice be somethin like,"Excel Saga" in which at some scenes you see girl's you know whats. I just can't believe some people look for the smallest bit of sexual stuff n a kids cartoon.

Woah, woah, woah, hold up now. Not all fanservice is sexual....NOT AT ALL. Fanservice is like candy...it's usually unnecessary, and is just there to sweeten the moment for the fans. Like seeing Ash's past pokemon at the league...like re-introducing a character that hasn't been on the show in a long time.

Seeing Ash in a maid outfit may not be "sexy," (though, your mileage may vary *cough*) but it's still pretty darn hilarious and unexpected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom