• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The General "Logic And Physics In Pokemon" thread

Queen Cynthia

Angelic Champion
Reaction score
Thinking back to all those recent Pokemon episodes, I figured that I was high time to make a new thread dedicated to all those question about the logic and physics in the Pokemon Anime.

So, please feel free to introduce new topics whenever you like.
But those people who merely consider Pokemon a children's show and don't take this thread seriously in the first place, please spare us comments like: "Why bother discussing logic in Pokemon in the first place?", "Everything is allowed as long as the writers want it to happen", or "This is a kids' show without any logic"
These comments won't be helpful at all. I'm looking for serious discussion partners who can enrich this thread with constructive contributions.
Thank you

---
---

So let's get started. If I may just introduce the first topic:

What do you think about moves like making water freeze by punching it (as seen in "Short and to the Punch") or Pokemon being able to jump on frozen bubbles (as seen recently in " Yes in Dee-Dee, it's Dawn) ?

Last edited:
Interesting topic. But ultimately, not one that I really get up in arms about.

Stuff happens for the plot, for scenes, for exposition, etc. Actions happen to push things further along the track. Worrying about how they do that really isn't something you should be wasting your time over.

I think that the show is getting worse and worse about this. Both of those moments made me scratch my head and say "huh?" Especially in "In Dee Dee it's Dawn." During the contest EVERY move made sparkles magically come out of nowhere. What was up with Jessie's performance? Like when bullet seed hit Seviper, and then when the air exploded when Carnivine jumed up? It looked cool, but it made no sense at all.

EDIT: oh and to stay on topic, I was really wondering how the bubbles could still float after they were frozen, and then still support Buneary's weight. It shouldn't be able to bounce on them anyway. I guess the bubbles would have to be some sort of special "super bubble" in order for the move to do any damage at all, let alone not survive being flash frozen and then danced on by a rabbit.

This is a kids' anime that takes place in a completely different world, I don't care if the rules of physics are played with for the sake of looking cool. Rule of Cool and all that.

I hate teh sparkulz. Just to reiterate. Think that fits in here.

I'll have to concur. I don't think physics as we know it is supposed to apply here. Heck, we've seen plenty of Looney Tunes-esque moments where gravity takes a break for a few seconds or more. (Funny story: My sister once knew someone that had a physics teacher that showed Looney Tunes episodes just so the students can identify how many laws of physics it breaks) It's not supposed to be taken too seriously. I know I rag on the physics breaking, but that really doesn't take the enjoyment from me. It's more of a light natured jab than a real nitpick. If I wanted to tear apart the physics of this show, I'd be here forever. It's not worth getting too worked up over.

Like when bullet seed hit Seviper, and then when the air exploded when Carnivine jumed up? It looked cool, but it made no sense at all.
Yeah that's basically the excuse for scenes like the one you just described: It looks cool.
But hey, does that really legitimate every possible scenario even if it defies logic/physics?

OK, I guess you can somehow make sense of Buneary's jumping on frozen bubbles which were floating in the air, because you can argue that Pokemon attacks have slightly different physical properties as otherwise Bubblebeam, for example, wouldn't hurt at all but the bubbles would just burst when they hit an opponent.
But what we saw in "Short and to the Punch", namely make water freeze by pure concentration and by punching it was ridiculous...Sorry guys.

Yeah, why bother questioning the laws of physics, such as they are, in Pokemon? This is a show that allows a 10-lb Pokemon to produce 50 gallons of water in one burst or a character to fall from 100 feet and not even break any bones. (If they do break, they mend within an hour.) Remember, the world of Pokemon is dominated by a force more powerful than any law of physics: the whims of the writing staff. (Whose competence I have questioned many, many times lately, so I won't do it here.)

Come on, I don't think this thread was supposed to be used for disscussing the fact that this stuff isn't supposed to make sense, just the physics themselves. Can we please talk about them without ranting about how "this is a kids show about made up monsters that can do stuff that's impossible and there's no point even talking about it?"

Come on, I don't think this thread was supposed to be used for disscussing the fact that this stuff isn't supposed to make sense, just the physics themselves. Can we please talk about them without ranting about how "this is a kids show about made up monsters that can do stuff that's impossible and there's no point even talking about it?"

Exactly!

let me just quote what I wrote before
But those people who merely consider Pokemon a children's show and don't take this thread seriously in the first place, please spare us comments like: "Why bother discussing logic in Pokemon in the first place?", "Everything is allowed as long as the writers want it to happen", or "This is a kids' show without any logic"
These comments won't help at all. I'm looking for serious discussion partners who can enrich this thread with constructive contributions.
Thank you

As most of the elements and scenes bear a striking resemblance to our world and to "our" physics so to speak, it is fair to assume that the rest somehow has to make sense as well.
Let me give some example to further illustrate my point:

-Ash and his friends have to walk in order to get from one town to another. If basically everything was allowed in the Pokemon world, why don't they just snap their fingers...and whoosh... they are where the wanted to go in no time!?
It's because the Anime has to stick to certain rules

- Also, Ash can't just win a battle by snapping his fingers either. He doesn't win it as if by magic so to speak (Cynthia probably could, but that's a different story) No, he has to employ his intellect. But let me remind you that in a world without logical rules you would be tempted to think that everything is possible. However, this doesn't apply to the Pokemon world as I've just demonstrated. Thus, we again have to assume certain rules which the Pokemon universe has to stick to.

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't have any problem with accepting the fact that the Pokemon world obviously has rules that are slightly different from ours if only that world had some consistent rules!!!​
What bugs me is the fact writers are so arbitrary when it comes to deciding whether physics (this world's physics!) apply to a scene or not.
As someone said, it depends on the writers whim, but I refuse to accept that.

Yeah, why bother questioning the laws of physics, such as they are, in Pokemon? This is a show that allows a 10-lb Pokemon to produce 50 gallons of water in one burst or a character to fall from 100 feet and not even break any bones. (If they do break, they mend within an hour.) Remember, the world of Pokemon is dominated by a force more powerful than any law of physics: the whims of the writing staff. (Whose competence I have questioned many, many times lately, so I won't do it here.)

It's also a show where Headbutts or Bite attacks that collide will explode.

The main point would be though, that if every animated show stuck to being real, there would be nothing good on TV.

I love the random explosions though. In my mind, it's one of the things that defines "Pokemon." I'm sure that it happens on other shows, but it seems that they are much more prominent in this one.

I've always found it strange how nearly any attack can send Team Rocket (which is two humans, and at least one usually three pokemon) blasting off (again) yet only sometimes effects other pokemon in the same way during battles. Like one time (I don't remember which episode) Pikachu used a Quick Attack on Seviper, it crashed into the rest of them, and then they were all sent flying into the distance. How does that work? :confused:

I think dman_dustin already covered this well enough. Pokemon having its own set of physics, chemistry and biology with some overlapping and sharing our own Earthly science is a good, supported conclusion for me.

Queen Cynthia said:
What bugs me is the fact writers are so arbitrary when it comes to deciding whether physics (this world's physics!) apply to a scene or not

That's exactly why it's not worth going on about it. The writers of the show obviously don't give a shit.

The show's always been like this, ever since the Kanto days. It's really strange that you wouldn't really raise a fuss about it until only about a year or so ago.

If you don't care, then ignore this thread. It doesn't really matter what the writers think about it, it's still fun to talk about for some people. If you want to talk about all the ways that the Pokemon anime is stupid and impossible, then start a new thread for it. This is simply not the place for it.

Now does anyone have anything even reomotely productive to talk about or are we still going to continue this pointless debate?

According to Newtons 3rd law, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction", moves like hyper beam should normally send the user backwards but it doesnt, and isnt it weird that Ash and friends have and unusually huge amounts of space in their backpack?

According to Newtons 3rd law, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction", moves like hyper beam should normally send the user backwards but it doesnt, and isnt it weird that Ash and friends have and unusually huge amounts of space in their backpack?

Good ones. I think the extra backpack space is called "hammerspace." It never does show where they keep all that food, or their sleeping bags.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom