• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The General Sports Thread

Lyrebird

Goddess
Reaction score
Well it is a great time for sports with the FIFA World Cup arriving next month.

Here's what's on at the moment
- MLS playoffs
- NBA season
- NFL season
- NHL season
- English Premier League
- Several Football Leagues including the A-League final tonight
- IPL if you like cricket and I guess you can add County Cricket to it
- F1, MotoGP, NASCAR, IndyCars
- The Road to Roland Garros
- MMA / UFC
- AFL, NRL, Super 16
- AHL hockey season
- College Basketball
- College Football

So yeah go nuts and remember to respect each other's interest in sport. You may not like a user's favourite sport but it doesn't mean you have to demean it. Stay civilized and have fun watching and talking sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread in the Serious Business forum.

As our fearless empress said, this is a great time in sports. Both the NHL and NBA had crazy first rounds with so many series going the seven games. EPL season is winding down (LOL Liverpool), baseball is starting up again (even if my Red Sox are on the struggle bus this year) and people are starting to talk football (American) again.

Most of my sports watching attention is on the hockey however, since my Bruins are locked in a bloodbath with their archrival Montreal.

Kevin Durant just won MVP for the 2013-14 NBA Season with 119 out of 125 first place votes. LeBron is 2nd, Blake Griffin 3rd and Harden 4th. In other NBA news, the Wizards have won their first 2nd round playoff game since 11,696 days ago. Back then Doug Collins and Rick Mahorn were on that Bullets team.

Also lolLiverpool unless City mess up against the Toons then it is their season. However Aguero is injured from what I heard, so anything can happen.

Kevin Durant just won MVP for the 2013-14 NBA Season with 119 out of 125 first place votes. LeBron is 2nd, Blake Griffin 3rd and Harden 4th. In other NBA news, the Wizards have won their first 2nd round playoff game since 11,696 days ago. Back then Doug Collins and Rick Mahorn were on that Bullets team.

Also lolLiverpool unless City mess up against the Toons then it is their season. However Aguero is injured from what I heard, so anything can happen.

Heatmor lost? D:

I guess you can say that Heatmor will last longer than Durant in the playoffs. If you get my drift.

Anyone see Durant show love to his mom during his MVP speech? Tear*

Looks like Man City basically have a 97% chance of the title after beating Villa.

So Day one of the NFL Draft has completed and there were some interesting selections.

The 1st overall pick was Jadeveon Clowney who is considered to be the top consensus pick and the best player in the draft. What's interesting is that the Jaguars picked Borties which from my knowledge is a great pick in the long run because Borties is seen as a project, so this is a long run game being played by the Jags. Buffalo made a good pick but may have given too much for it.

Manziel gets picked by Cleveland after the Cowboys passed on him and went sensible. Then the Vikings went and moved up to get Bridgewater because they need a QB (Ponder isn't the best choice)

All the First Round picks are here
All the Trades are here

In other news, Miami and San Antonio are looking way too good compared to Nets and the Trail Blazers. The problem with the Netsi s that they are letting themselves get torched by the Heat bench and that's not a good sign especially when your own starters are struggling. Take this game for example, Deron Williams 0 points off 0-9 FGA, Garnett with 4 points and your main scorer in Joe Johnson scores 13. Then again you have one of the best defenders in the league with LeBron and Battier is a handy defender along with Bosh but you still can't afford to be beaten like this.

The Trail Blazers always struggled defensively this whole season and it shows especially if you see the Spurs move the ball around a lot. The Spurs just know how to play, I mean sure you get games like Parker's 33 but this game Kawhi Leonard scored 20 points at an incredible rate finishing 4-4 from beyond the arc and 8-9 from the field. I don't see the Trail Blazers doing much because it seems that Aldridge and Lopez are getting snuffed out by Splitter and Duncan and Lillard can't guard Tony Parker. Then you look at the Spurs' bench, you have Manu, Mills, Belinelli and Diaw. You look at the Trail Blazers and it is just Mo Williams and Will Barton. Slotts did a great job on them but the Spurs are looking for revenge.

I see think Clippers will beat the Thunder, the whole team even though they don't have Durant is better. Westbrook can't guard Chris Paul and the Thunder are poor at defending the 3 point line. Blake isn't someone like a Dirk, Marc or a Duncan but he can still hit the mid range jumper and is a pretty decent ballhandler. I still also put Washington over INdiana but the Pacers did a great job in snuffing out John Wall. They covered the pick and pop and then knowing that George can cover Beal, Hill can cover the passing line making it a pass to Nene or Gortat but a very difficult one indeed where they can't take a good shot. Wall has to get into the lane otherwise he'll have to settle for jumpers and if he can't make them like in Game 2 then Pacers will be very happy.

- NBA Finals - Spurs v. Heat - Pop time or 3 in a row for LeBron?
- Also David Villa and Frank Lampard to New York FC

Villa.jpg

Anyone here into MMA? I haven't had a place to talk about it since I got banned from Sherdog.

There's a good following for most any sport, even obscure ones like fencing and curling.

- NBA Finals - Spurs v. Heat - Pop time or 3 in a row for LeBron?
- Also David Villa and Frank Lampard to New York FC

Villa.jpg

Ugh, I couldn't have gotten a worse NBA finals if I tried. Was hoping for Thunder v Pacers. I have to root for the Spurs now.

On the plus side, I'll be able to get a ticket to see NYC FC play, would be cool to see Lampard and Villa play even if they're not in their prime.

Alright here we go with Rafa Djokovic XLII.

Who you guys got?

I have Nadal winning. Then again, I've seen the match.

Game 2 of the NBA finals was really good tonight.
And I'm really excited for the World Cup. My team (US) is absolutely screwed but. It'll be fun.

LeBron played really well. The problem for the Spurs is that you can't put Diaw on LeBron or you can't put Kawhi on LeBron either. The problem with what the Spurs have is that playing Duncan with Splitter isn't going to go well. Spo has Rashad as PF and he is not going to play close to the post. It is ineffective because with all due respect to Splitter, he is not a defender like Duncan.

So you think Pop will change that up and go small while pushing PnR with Splitter on the floor to give Duncan rest. We will see what happens.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom