• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The General Sports Thread

Ah, was just about to ask if there was an Olympics thread or if one will be made. I guess I can just post my thoughts here!

In 2012, I had a lot of fun watching indoor volleyball, swimming, diving, and cycling. Badminton was also interesting to watch I suppose, but it wasn't the best. Judo caught my attention and I did enjoy watching Britain bring back a silver or gold in the women's section? I'm not sure, but I think we won a medal in that although not sure of the category.

This year I want to watch some fencing and water polo alongside with the ones I watched last year. Maybe even some rowing and some track events. I tried fencing last year and it was good fun, so I'd like to see some professionals at it.

UEFA Champions League 2016/17 Playoff Round draw. Some very interesting matchups in the League Route too with some very good teams featuring. Same can't be said for the Champions Route. Any of the teams in either section would fancy their chances of qualifying for the Champions League groups though.

Champions Route
Ludogoretz Razgrad (Bulgaria) vs Victoria Plzeň (Czech Republic)
Celtic (Scotland) vs Hapoel Be'er Sheva (Israel)
Copenhagen (Denmark) vs APOEL Nicosia (Cyprus)
Dundalk (Republic of Ireland) vs Legia Warsaw (Poland)
Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia) vs Red Bull Salzburg (Austria)

League Route
Steaua București (Romania) vs Manchester City (England)
Porto (Portugal) vs Roma (Italy)
Ajax (Netherlands) vs Rostov (Russia)
Young Boys (Switzerland) vs Borussia Mönchengladbach
Villareal (Spain) vs Monaco (France)

So far so good in the Olympics in terms of the actual sports not the stuff in the background.

Two golds and three bronzes is a great day for Team Great Britain!

I did expect two golds, but not in the sports we got them in. I thought Froome would grab our first cycling gold whilst Clarke made up for the upset by Florence yesterday. The surprise gold in the diving though was the icing on the cake. Nailed every dive and I was seriously impressed by Team GB. The bronzes were also welcome , especially gymnastics. I had to sit through that whilst at the same time hoping we held on against Argentina in the Rugby 7s. Trying stuff, but I'm pleased we got our first medal in the event for 108 years. Our bronze in Judo was also good stuff. A hard fought campaign and Conway fully deserved her medal.

I look forward to tomorrow! Bring home the golds!

Ireland got their first medal, claiming silver in the men's lightweight double sculls rowing event

Feels like 2012 again, we're 3rd on the table, and it's going good, I'm interested to see what happens with Jessica Ennis, and Johnson, I think they both will win a medal.
Here's hoping for a repeat of super Saturday.

Also, Euro 2016 was just annoying.

Euro 2016 was great except for the part that France lost but the rest was great.

Actually France losing was the best part (they weren't that good) , Germany (seriously watching the semifinal was the biggest bs ever, sad that they missed out on their 4th European title) or Spain (need to reinvent their tactics) should've won, but I'm glad we got a new champion, but honestly the whole tournament was underwhelming, they should go back to the old format.

EDIT: La Liga starting soon! and Premier league started with the champions losing, and one legendary game in the Emirates which highlighted how one manager has made his fan base extremely happy whilst the other is stubborn, and risks not getting a champions league place.

Last edited:
I'm La Liga.

Also how good is the athletics so far. Always amazingly fun.

Brazil finally got a gold medal in the football, the first time Brazil has won gold in the football at the Olympics. And tomorrow morning AEST, is the closing ceremony. It has Pele and Pokemon. I saw a bit of Seven's coverage of the Olympics, and it was okay. I am looking forward to the Paralympics in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Champions League playoff round results
Champions Route
Ludogoretz Razgrad 4-2 Victoria Plzeň (2-0; 2-2)
Celtic 5-4 Hapoel Be'er Sheva (5-2; 0-2)
Copenhagen 2-1 APOEL Nicosia (1-0; 1-1)
Dundalk 1-3 Legia Warsaw (0-2; 1-1)
Dinamo Zagreb 3-2 Red Bull Salzburg (1-1; 2-1) - After extra time

League Route
Steaua București 0-6 Manchester City (0-5; 0-1)
Porto 4-1 Roma (1-1; 3-0)
Ajax 2-5 Rostov (1-1; 1-4)
Young Boys 2-9 Borussia Mönchengladbach (1-3; 1-6)
Villareal 1-3 Monaco (1-2; 0-1)

Last edited:
I'm a Bolton fan and we're currently top of the league \0/

League One sure but it's still fun.

Liverpool got an important 2-1 over Chelsea(y).

Henderson's goal was fantastic.

Liverpool 5-1 Hull (y)
Arsenal 3-0 Chelsea (y)
Liverpool winning, and Chelsea losing, good day for English football!

Manchester United are the first team to not score against Liverpool this Premier League season.

Sparks win the WNBA Championship tonight!

What an emotional moment this is. Coming into tonight, my sports teams have had a rough 3-year stretch of devastating losses in the playoffs. Sparks' first championship in 14 years. :)

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom