• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Generation 1 Remake Discussion Thread

Despite what people say about the kanto starters and mewtwo being available in X/Y, I hardly think that writes off Kanto remakes on the 3DS. With the release of OR/AS, Kanto is now the only region without a game on a DS or later system (HG/SS Kanto doesn't count, it's barely an afterthought in the game), plus FR/LG are now more than 10 years old. I fully expect another Kanto remake before we see a Gen 4 remake. I expect to see a Kanto remake on the 3DS or new 3DS, or better yet an entirely new game based in the Kanto region. 2016 is the 20-year anniversary of the release of Red and Green in Japan, and 2018 is the 20th anniversary of the release of Yellow. To me, those are the two most likely times to see the remakes released: 2016 gives GF a year to make X/Y sequels OR a release an entirely new game, and 2018 allows for the potential of a new console depending on Nintendo's plans (though I admit in this case a Gen 4 remake becomes much more plausible than it is now).

Well... that was unexpected.

Obviously won't post here, but we just got a whole new reason to need Kanto (and Johto) remakes...

Well... that was unexpected.

Obviously won't post here, but we just got a whole new reason to need Kanto (and Johto) remakes...

umm...what was unexpected? At the very least say where you found something unexpected? I just checked the leaks thread and saw nothing about that.

I could see it working, potentially, but I can't help but think it's still a little soon to have a Gen-1 re-remake. If indeed it's practical to have another remake.

What I think would be cool would be if you start in Kanto, play through the storyline there in a way similar to RBYFRLG, but then get access to Johto after. It'd have a good sized postgame and would allow the reinvention of Johto while still remaking first gen.

The question shouldn't be how long it's been since FRLG, but rather "Is another remake the best thing we can do for Kanto?" I think that the answer to that is a resounding no.

I personally would like to see a new adventure in Kanto, we all know the story of Gen I and the vast majority of use have played it not once, but twice. I just can't see GF doing it though, if they wind up with Kanto again it's more than likely a remake in my mind.

The question shouldn't be how long it's been since FRLG, but rather "Is another remake the best thing we can do for Kanto?" I think that the answer to that is a resounding no.

Its fairly clear that GF isn't going to do any more games outside the Mega universe, so I really don't think a sequel for events we don't even know happened for certain isn't really the best option. You need an original before you can make a sequel from it :p

Its still been 10 years...
And unless plenty of people want it (such as with ORAS), there's no reason to revisit Kanto with the same story. Remember that the only reason that RGB were remade was to give access to Gen I/II Pokemon that weren't accessible in RSE.

I think that if we revisit Kanto, it's high time that we do it from a different angle.

Its fairly clear that GF isn't going to do any more games outside the Mega universe, so I really don't think a sequel for events we don't even know happened for certain isn't really the best option. You need an original before you can make a sequel from it :p
And then Pokemon Origins' existence and retelling of RBY makes a whole lot of sense. I personally think that for Kanto and Johto, we will get sequels as we've had remakes, unlike Hoenn and Sinnoh. Now if they decide to reintroduce them seperately or together in a sort of reverse hgss is a whole nother story, but that seems like the ourtcome. Don't be surprised if something like origins gs comes out next year.

You say that as if we haven't already seen the Generation I story with Mega Evolution added via Origins. Besides, let's not pretend that Mega Evolution changes much about the story to the point where a few references in sequels wouldn't explain it.

Come next generation, I doubt that Mega Evolution will be a focal point story-wise, nor should it be.

Personally, I don't want a direct remake of R/B/Y because FR/LG was already that, and we don't need a THIRD remake of Gen 1 that's just the same copy/pasted story. Instead I would like an entirely new story set in Kanto with elements from the anime and manga added into it (but not an adaptation of either). No sequels, no prequels, but an entirely new adventure, like a full-on reboot, but that doesn't mean it can't use the same player characters and other characters, after all, if the "OR/AS is an alternate timeline" theory is correct, then we can take a number of creative liberties here:

• Have Red and Leaf exist in the same universe, like having one rival be the opposing gender while keeping Blue/Gary as the other, more prominent rival
  • Add more to Team Rocket than just have them be the same terrorist group as before, like make them like a task force that people think are the good guys but is really corrupt, complete with admins that argue and have a lust of power for who should be in charge (think Starscream from Transformers). Definitely add the HG/SS admins such as Arianna and Archer, and maybe throw in the TRio from the anime too just for comic relief.
  • Have Mewtwo and the Legendary Birds be involved in the main plot, like having Team Rocket want to create the ultimate Pokemon as a means of displaying their power, and have them force Dr. Fuji to aid them and such to create Mewtwo.
  • Add Cinnibar Volcano in as not just a visual addition to Cinnibar Island, but go into it and explore it, possibly give it the same available Pokemon as the Pokemon Mansion, and maybe have the Pokemon Mansion buried beneath it as an underground laboratory.
  • A different champion, after all, who was the champion before Gary came in at the end of the game? Maybe make it the player's aloof father since the only father to a player character in the franchise right now is Norman, or even make it Giovanni since we haven't had a villain team leader as the champion yet (yes I know he's already the Viridian Gym Leader, but still)
  • Pokemon from all 6 generations available in the regional Dex, but mostly Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon available before you get the National Dex.
  • More musical tracks such as more battle themes (like one for the rival and such) as well as for different locations, like have each city that uses the same track as another city have it's own remix much like the legendary beasts did in HG/SS, like have something like the HG/SS theme for Cerulean while for Fuschia it plays a more soothing, oriental theme. On that topic, have themes based on the Gen 2 versions of each song than just going with Gen 1 specifically, like use the Gen 1 Viridian Forest them in Diglett's Tunnel while the Gen 2 theme will play in Viridian Forest itself, and the Gen 1 version of the Viridian City theme play in Viridian while the Gen 2 mix plays in Pewter, while Saffron gets it's own theme. And why stop there? Why not have Victory Road have the theme it had in Gen 2, or the Team Rocket themes from Gen 2 as well? The possibilities are endless.
  • Add Kanto locations from Gen 2 such as Tohjo Falls and Mt. Silver as post-game locations, but not Johto itself as a whole. As for the Sevii Islands, I have no idea about those though, but if they do add it, maybe give it a small Pokemon League of it's own like with 4-5 additional gyms or such, complete with it's own Elite Four and Champion. Though personally, I rather not have the Sevii Islands at all and have these remakes be their own things separate from FR/LG instead.
  • Make Kanto itself look more diverse and varied, like add different biomes like flat plains and jungles (especially for parts of the Safari Zone) as well as add more natural features such as waterfalls, canyons, and cliff-sides to make the region more varied.
  • Mega Raichu, enough said...

Last edited:
Personally, I don't want a direct remake of R/B/Y because FR/LG was already that, and we don't need a THIRD remake of Gen 1 that's just the same copy/pasted story. Instead I would like an entirely new story set in Kanto with elements from the anime and manga added into it (but not an adaptation of either). No sequels, no prequels, but an entirely new adventure, like a full-on reboot, but that doesn't mean it can't use the same player characters and other characters, after all, if the "OR/AS is an alternate timeline" theory is correct, then we can take a number of creative liberties here:

• Have Red and Leaf exist in the same universe, like having one rival be the opposing gender while keeping Blue/Gary as the other, more prominent rival
  • Add more to Team Rocket than just have them be the same terrorist group as before, like make them like a task force that people think are the good guys but is really corrupt, complete with admins that argue and have a lust of power for who should be in charge (think Starscream from Transformers). Definitely add the HG/SS admins such as Arianna and Archer, and maybe throw in the TRio from the anime too just for comic relief.
  • Have Mewtwo and the Legendary Birds be involved in the main plot, like having Team Rocket want to create the ultimate Pokemon as a means of displaying their power, and have them force Dr. Fuji to aid them and such to create Mewtwo.
  • Add Cinnibar Volcano in as not just a visual addition to Cinnibar Island, but go into it and explore it, possibly give it the same available Pokemon as the Pokemon Mansion, and maybe have the Pokemon Mansion buried beneath it as an underground laboratory.
  • A different champion, after all, who was the champion before Gary came in at the end of the game? Maybe make it the player's aloof father since the only father to a player character in the franchise right now is Norman, or even make it Giovanni since we haven't had a villain team leader as the champion yet (yes I know he's already the Viridian Gym Leader, but still)
  • Pokemon from all 6 generations available in the regional Dex, but mostly Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon available before you get the National Dex.
  • More musical tracks such as more battle themes (like one for the rival and such) as well as for different locations, like have each city that uses the same track as another city have it's own remix much like the legendary beasts did in HG/SS, like have something like the HG/SS them for Cerulean while for Fuschia it plays a more soothing, oriental theme. On that topic, have themes based on the Gen 2 versions of each song than just going with Gen 1 specifically, like use the Gen 1 Viridian Forest them in Diglett's Tunnel while the Gen 2 theme will play in Viridian Forest itself, and the Gen 1 version of the Viridian City theme play in Viridian while the Gen 2 mix plays in Pewter, while Saffron gets it's own theme. And why stop there? Why not have Victory Road have the theme it had in Gen 2, or the Team Rocket themes from Gen 2 as well? The possibilities are endless.
  • Add Kanto locations from Gen 2 such as Tohjo Falls and Mt. Silver as post-game locations, but not Johto itself as a whole. As for the Sevii Islands, I have no idea about those though, but if they do add it, maybe give it a small Pokemon League of it's own like with 4-5 additional gyms or such, complete with it's own Elite Four and Champion. Though personally, I rather not have the Sevii Islands at all and have these remakes be their own things separate from FR/LG instead.
  • Make Kanto itself look more diverse and varied, like add different biomes like flat plains and jungles (especially for parts of the Safari Zone) as well as add more natural features such as waterfalls, canyons, and cliff-sides to make the region more varied.
  • Mega Raichu, enough said...

This is exactly what we're asking for. Me and Betty don't want another FRLG, we want a real reboot that really gives Kanto the justice it deserves. Kanto had a LOT of issues with its generic storyline, and we've already seen the wonders GF worked with ORAS. I support each and every one of the features you listed :D

The idea that remakes could add more to Kanto than sequels could makes no sense to me. ORAS are very much remakes which play up nostalgia and a recycled (albeit refurbished) story. Please stop pretending that an alternate timeline means that more changes could be done in remakes than in sequels.

Robo-Floatzel said:
an entirely new story set in Kanto
In what way is what you described an "entirely new story"?

Last edited:
I was thinking about a Mew encounter on Mt. Silver on my way to Thanksgiving, and thought it would be cool if in the cutscene, Mew made its cry and used Psychic to throw a snowball at you. Just a small little thing that would point out its playful nature :p

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom