• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Generation 1 Remake Discussion Thread

but it was removed in oras with the excuse that the owner shut it "for reasons he didn't want to talk about". proving the remakes from here on out won't have a game corner sadly.

I get what you're saying, but I feel there's a difference here. The Hoenn Game Corner wasn't crucial to the plot by any stretch of the imagination, whereas the Rocket Game Corner is.

I think the problem is with the whole argument of 'We need a new Red/Blue remake because you can't play GBA games on 3DS!' , that when new hardware is released where you can't play DS games, everyone will ask for new Gold and Silver remakes, and so on and so on with Ruby and Sapphire. If that were to happen, Pokemon would never move forward because it would keep needing to make remakes of games they've already remade!

Thanks for reading!

Remakes happen to exist at the same time with new regions. So your reason "Pokémon would never move forward because it would keep needing to make remakes" is not really valid reason.

Maybe he's referring to DP and BW remakes as opposed to new games?

Wouldn't it be better if the Gen 1 and Gen 2 games would be remade as one. The Johto story is pretty much a continuation of Kanto, so it would be nice to see their intertwining plot be streamlined together to make it a more cohesive package.

I think the problem is with the whole argument of 'We need a new Red/Blue remake because you can't play GBA games on 3DS!' , that when new hardware is released where you can't play DS games, everyone will ask for new Gold and Silver remakes, and so on and so on with Ruby and Sapphire. If that were to happen, Pokemon would never move forward because it would keep needing to make remakes of games they've already remade!

Thanks for reading!

Remakes happen to exist at the same time with new regions. So your reason "Pokémon would never move forward because it would keep needing to make remakes" is not really valid reason.

I know, but this thread isn't talking about remakes of games like DPPT on, the thread is specifically called `Generation 1 Remake Discussion Thread`, so my point IS valid.

Thanks for reading.

Wouldn't it be better if the Gen 1 and Gen 2 games would be remade as one. The Johto story is pretty much a continuation of Kanto, so it would be nice to see their intertwining plot be streamlined together to make it a more cohesive package.

Sandwiching two regions together isn't really good for gameplay and region design though, that tends to have a negative effect on region design and pacing.

Thanks for reading!

Maybe he's referring to DP and BW remakes as opposed to new games?

gen VI was around the same time as b2w2 and is canon whereas oras is an alternate retelling of the original gen III games (which take place around gen I) and is not canon.

and yes I agree with moringstar that he's referring to more and more remakes each new gen.
which will be invalid once they run out of mon ideas and focus ONLY on remakes and new stories in older reigons.

Sandwiching two regions together isn't really good for gameplay and region design though, that tends to have a negative effect on region design and pacing.

If these two gens were made as one, it would be a great cohesive story and something else than the previous games. Gen 1 and 2 have already been remade, I just don't think it's a good idea to remake them again without adding anything substantial.

oras is an alternate retelling of the original gen III games (which take place around gen I) and is not canon.

I don't see how OR/AS aren't canon. Delta Episode spoilers ahead:

They're set in an alternate universe, yes, but they are certainly canon. Just not in the Gen III-5 universe. The Delta Episode basically confirmed this.

If OR/AS aren't canon, then X & Y, and by extension the Origins animated specials can't be either, as they're set in the same universe as X/Y. OR/AS events with the tree in Sootopolis City confirmed this.

As for GF running out of ideas...well, that's more down to fan opinions than actual fact.

If these two gens were made as one, it would be a great cohesive story and something else than the previous games. Gen 1 and 2 have already been remade, I just don't think it's a good idea to remake them again without adding anything substantial.

That's just it though, it's be more beneficial overall if they were separate games and were expanded individually than having them smooshed together where they would be more limited in the amount of content they could add. Both regions could use significant expansions in both region design and Pokemon selection.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and, going back and reading through some stuff, I feel like Kanto is definitely the least "fleshed out" region in terms of lore and backstory. Kanto has close to no mythos surrounding its creation and characters don't really reference anything past the last 10 years before Red's journey. While Johto takes a lot of criticism for being somehow unable to stand alone apart from Kanto, Johto has a lot of mythos in its backstory which really separates it from Kanto. In fact, I really enjoy the Kanto-Johto story as a whole, when I played Silver for the first time, it really felt like I was playing something extended from my Red Version but somehow an entirely separate entity altogether. Johto derives a lot of its present-day story from the events that happened in Kanto three years prior, but its legends are separate entirely.

While it would be jarring for GF to just remake Kanto and insert a bunch of ancient lore which wasn't there before, I'd love to see something where GF tells us the story of Kanto that we don't know. As I stated earlier, I've been going back and seeing there are a ton of things in Kanto that hint to a vast backstory that GF doesn't want us to know. For instance, there's still a ton of mystery surrounding Mewtwo's origins and how it came about in the games. Also, what's the Kanto story behind Mew? It's the only Pokemon in the Kanto Pokedex with the only catchable location somewhere in Hoenn. Also, we have characters seemingly tied together but no explanation how. Bill, Oak, Agatha, Fuji, Blaine, and Giovanni all seem to know each other and even have a history with each other but all we have are tiny hints with no explanation. And what war is Surge referring to?

I'd love a future Kanto-based game to delve into these things. It's kind of a disservice to GF's first region that it's the least fleshed-out venue out of the six they've created. The current GF seems like one that sees the importance of telling a good story in addition to great gameplay. Hopefully they give Kanto this treatment.

Last edited:
The main logical theory that I've heard for Kanto not focusing on "myth" and legend like the other later regions, is due mainly to its focus on genetics, modernity, and technology. These themes further clash with Johto's traditionalism, among other things just like the real life Kanto & Kansai regions of Japan.

@godiego; Origins isn't a game, and we really need a full Kanto game on 3DS (i.e. not HGSS Kanto).

Need is a strong word, do we really "need" an updated Firered/Leafgreen? I can see many people wanting one, but needing one is another matter. I suppose one could say the same for ORAS, but I'd only say a revisit to Kanto is required if it manages to separate itself from Pokemon Origins (and the traditional Kanto games) in a substantial story driven way.

I don't mind them doing such for their 20th anniversary, but it needs to flesh out a few of the things that DarkHero21 was saying.

While it would be jarring for GF to just remake Kanto and insert a bunch of ancient lore which wasn't there before...

Stuff like the Kami Trio honestly should have been Kanto (or Johto) based from the start rather than putting them in Poke'Murica, but overall I like the idea of a region like Kanto making its own "modern myths," like with Mewtwo. For example; with all the recent talk of dangerous Artificial Intelligence from people like Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking, and Bill Gates, perhaps a "legend" could be based around that? We have Porygon sure, but that doesn't exclude more research into the idea within the Poke'verse.

Last edited:
Need is a strong word, do we really "need" an updated Firered/Leafgreen? I can see many people wanting one, but needing one is another matter.

The younger fans certainly do, RBYFRLG isn't playable on any recent system.

I suppose one could say the same for ORAS, but I'd only say a revisit to Kanto is required if it manages to separate itself from Pokemon Origins (and the traditional Kanto games) in a substantial story driven way.

I don't mind them doing such for their 20th anniversary, but it needs to flesh out a few of the things that DarkHero21 was saying.

That wouldn't be too hard, Origins didn't build on the original plot that much. They kinda touched on things like Mr. Fuji's role with Mewtwo and Giovanni's backstory, but it doesn't really go that far with it.

The main logical theory that I've heard for Kanto not focusing on "myth" and legend like the other later regions, is due mainly to its focus on genetics, modernity, and technology. These themes further clash with Johto's traditionalism, among other things just like the real life Kanto & Kansai regions of Japan.

Need is a strong word, do we really "need" an updated Firered/Leafgreen? I can see many people wanting one, but needing one is another matter. I suppose one could say the same for ORAS, but I'd only say a revisit to Kanto is required if it manages to separate itself from Pokemon Origins (and the traditional Kanto games) in a substantial story driven way.

While it would be jarring for GF to just remake Kanto and insert a bunch of ancient lore which wasn't there before...

Stuff like the Kami Trio honestly should have been Kanto (or Johto) based from the start rather than putting them in Poke'Murica, but overall I like the idea of a region like Kanto making its own "modern myths," like with Mewtwo. For example; with all the recent talk of dangerous Artificial Intelligence from people like Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking, and Bill Gates, perhaps a "legend" could be based around that? We have Porygon sure, but that doesn't exclude more research into the idea within the Poke'verse.

Yeah, that they put the Kami trio in Unova never made much sense to me either. But that brings up another point; what's the story behind the legendary birds? The anime has Lugia as their trio master, but that's not really something stated in the games. Why are they legendary and is there a story behind them?

Back to your point, I like the idea behind man-made legends, too. Each region has its mysteries but Kanto is unique in this regard; it has no obvious lore or mysteries, but if you pay attention to the little details, there's a ton of very recent history that's hinted to but never explored. All the important characters seem to point to some event not too long ago that pulls them together but we don't know what it is (the creation of Mewtwo, something else?). When you put those things together, Kanto has a very mysterious history behind it and no one wants to talk about it. On top of that, I still feel like Mew's just kinda there and hasn't been explained at all.

This is what makes the region so interesting and every retelling of its story just makes you hope GF hints at it more and more.

I find Generation VI to be essentially a reboot of the series. We all know thanks to ORAS that it's a reboot and in an alternate universe to Gen I-II's universe and Gen III-V's universe.
L3iqaT9.png

So to satisfy the timeline, ideally we will get Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova remakes or rehashes. Since XY are confirmed to take place alongside a Megaverse (what many call the most recent universe) BW2, and ORAS take place 5 years prior AND alongside a Megaverse Kanto, that means Johto and Sinnoh AND Unova would have to take place alongside each other, as that's three years after Hoenn/Kanto but two years before Kalos/Unova sequels.

On the direct topic of Kanto remakes, most of my ideas have already been said by one person or another.
-Make Leaf/Green canon.
-Extend the region borders slightly to Mt. Silver.
-Include the Sevii Islands again.
-Make a more fleshed out plot for all legendaries, a great idea for Birth Island would for that Deoxys to be the twin to ORAS Deoxys as a callback to the movie Destiny Deoxys that involves two Deoxys being separated.
-For Navel Rock, include a story for the legendary birds and Lugia.
-Obviously include Megas for key characters like in Origins.
-Also include a Mew and Mewtwo story like in Origins, have Blue fail to catch Mewtwo and get injured, have the PC catch it, then have Mew show up at the window like in Origins and run off, tempting you to chase after it, wherever that may take you (Guyana).

But most importantly, it has to be a remake to complete the Megaverse timeline.

At one point we may see the return of Kanto remakes. I can the kanto remakes with:
  • All Kanto and Johto legendary pokemon. Lugia and Ho-oh resides on Navel Rock which is no longer event. Raikou, Entei and Suicune are either roamers or found in old/new locations of Kanto.
  • A post game story involving Mewtwo and Mew is also what I like to see.
  • Elite 4 and Champion rematches have mega evolutions.
  • Gym leader rematches in the game.
  • Sevii Islands to come back.
  • Birth Island is found in the game, most likely non-event since Deoxys lost it's mythical status in ORAS.
  • Professor Oak gives you a Johto starter after the defeating the league the first time or completing Kanto pokedex.
  • Pokedex to be updated with evolutions, pre-evolutions and maybe some pokemon from the other gens.
  • Trainer Tower on Seven Island is replaced by a Battle Masion or something entirely new.
  • Game Corner is either closed or replace with new building in Celadon City.
That is all the ideas I have so far.

At one point we may see the return of Kanto remakes. I can the kanto remakes with:
  • All Kanto and Johto legendary pokemon. Lugia and Ho-oh resides on Navel Rock which is no longer event. Raikou, Entei and Suicune are either roamers or found in old/new locations of Kanto.
  • A post game story involving Mewtwo and Mew is also what I like to see.
  • Elite 4 and Champion rematches have mega evolutions.
  • Gym leader rematches in the game.
  • Sevii Islands to come back.
  • Birth Island is found in the game, most likely non-event since Deoxys lost it's mythical status in ORAS.
  • Professor Oak gives you a Johto starter after the defeating the league the first time or completing Kanto pokedex.
  • Pokedex to be updated with evolutions, pre-evolutions and maybe some pokemon from the other gens.
  • Trainer Tower on Seven Island is replaced by a Battle Masion or something entirely new.
  • Game Corner is either closed or replace with new building in Celadon City.
That is all the ideas I have so far.

I like these. My life won't feel complete until we get 3D Kanto lol. Hoping this kind of stuff gets enough support.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom