• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'd prefer straight up remakes, BUT with something akin to the Celebi event in HGSS. But not locked to an event exclusive.

Given the incredible divisiveness of LGPE (like, they're divisive even by modern Pokemon game standards) and the clamoring among the fandom for DP remakes, I can't see them skipping Shining Diamond and Sparkling Pearl or whatever they call them. I do expect a Let's Go Crystal could happen given LGPE's mainstream success, but I doubt it would taje priority over something that's as important to the fans as Gen 4 remakes.

Also, I hope they either bring in some elements from Platinum or change things up more than ORAS did, because DP had a buttload of problems that were only fixed in Platinum.

Do you think we'll ever get sick of remakes after other franchises like Crash Bandicoot get a whole remake trend? After the Sinnoh remakes, would we need Unova remakes, and then Kalos, then Alola and Galar? I sure don't want a Crash Bash remake, but maybe it's different because Pokémon gets new games every year and Crash was starting his revival ten years after Mind Over Mutant with two remakes in a row.

Do you think we'll ever get sick of remakes after other franchises like Crash Bandicoot get a whole remake trend? After the Sinnoh remakes, would we need Unova remakes, and then Kalos, then Alola and Galar? I sure don't want a Crash Bash remake, but maybe it's different because Pokémon gets new games every year and Crash was starting his revival ten years after Mind Over Mutant with two remakes in a row.
Well, there was also the fact that the last Crash games we got before the remake were not that good, to the point that the remakes were more or less needed to save the franchise. Also, Crash Bash was fun and it could have been good competition to Mario Party.

Also, I don't know. Generally, when I have seen people tired of remakes is because they only get remakes for years with no new games on the horizon, or when the only thing people do with a franchise is making remakes coughStar Foxcough

As far as I know, people are not exactly tired of the amount of remakes and ports of the Final Fantasy franchise, but then again, most of the time those releases has little to no fanfare unless they do a big remake (like I&II: Dawn of Souls or the new Final Fantasy VII remake).

I don't think people will get tired of remakes, plus remakes are needed in the video-game business in general for many reasons. As for Pokemon, Game Freak obviously can't crank out new game after new game after new game, the younger developers need to get experience in game development with something that requires less work before going in with an all-new generation. aka A game that already has the blueprints done.

I sure hope Crash gets a new adventure after Nitro-Fueled. But anyway, what have we not talked about with the Diamond and Pearl remakes? I already voiced my ideas for getting a complete Sinnoh Pokédex, and going back to the clothing customization can get controversial. Someone has thought of putting Unova's seasons in Sinnoh. We already know the starters would be Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup so I don't think there's anything to talk about there. We've already discussed Dialga and Palkia having forms. Not many people like HMs. They can't add a Dark-type Gym without cutting a Gym Leader. There probably won't be roaming Pokémon because the two roamers have a home: Lake Verity and Fullmoon Island. And I guess the Kanto Legendary Birds can be put in Mt. Coronet. Hmm... Oh! If the Global Terminal is accessed through the X menu, what's going to happen to the Global Terminal in Jubilife City?

I sure hope Crash gets a new adventure after Nitro-Fueled. But anyway, what have we not talked about with the Diamond and Pearl remakes? I already voiced my ideas for getting a complete Sinnoh Pokédex, and going back to the clothing customization can get controversial. Someone has thought of putting Unova's seasons in Sinnoh. We already know the starters would be Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup so I don't think there's anything to talk about there. We've already discussed Dialga and Palkia having forms. Not many people like HMs. They can't add a Dark-type Gym without cutting a Gym Leader. There probably won't be roaming Pokémon because the two roamers have a home: Lake Verity and Fullmoon Island. And I guess the Kanto Legendary Birds can be put in Mt. Coronet. Hmm... Oh! If the Global Terminal is accessed through the X menu, what's going to happen to the Global Terminal in Jubilife City?
Well, roaming Pokémon is another thing that thankfully got cut, since it was pretty RNG dependent and is pretty annoying because it changed everytime you changed areas.

Also, there's a chance the Legendary Birds don't come back in the remake.

Although you raised a valid question: What will happen to the Global Terminal? One of the things I think could happen is that it gets turned into something similar to Unity Island, you know, an skyscraper or something with the avatars of the players you battled/traded with.

I can see Game Freak totally changing and oversimplifying the layout of several Sinnoh caves, especially Mount. Coronet.

But also Solaceon Ruins, Turnback Cave, Wayward Cave, Stark Mountain, the long snowy route, etc.

Last edited:
I can see Game Freak totally changing and oversimplifying the layout of several Sinnoh caves, especially My. Coronet.

But also Solaceon Ruins, Turnback Cave, Wayward Cave, Stark Mountain, the long snowy route, etc.
Hopefully we won't see this, and I don't want to see the option to challenge Gyms out of order gone (similiarly to what happened in OR/AS), either.

Hopefully we won't see this, and I don't want to see the option to challenge Gyms out of order gone (similiarly to what happened in OR/AS), either.
Challenging the gyms in the order as intended was also in the original Ruby/Sapphire. I think what you are talking about is sequence breaking and with the possible exception of Johto, most of the time it was unintentional.

I remember TamashiiHiroka speculating that Sinnoh was designed to be non-linear in her Diamond and Pearl review. Maybe they could actually do that? I'm not expecting Breath of the Wild, obviously, just challenging the gyms in any order.

I remember TamashiiHiroka speculating that Sinnoh was designed to be non-linear in her Diamond and Pearl review. Maybe they could actually do that? I'm not expecting Breath of the Wild, obviously, just challenging the gyms in any order.
If that happens, they'll have to reboot some of the gym leaders and their characteristics in the DPPt games. For example, Volkner said he was the strongest gym leader in the region (I think he wanted to join the E4 or something). If the gym challenges don't have a sequence, they'll have to change his story about his boredom from being the strongest and major game events that stemmed from his boredom, like the Sunyshore blackout. If I remember correctly, Volkner designed his gym puzzles out of boredom from being too strong. If we take away the gym leader hierarchy from Sinnoh, they'll have to change Volkner's character and some of the events and even aesthetic designs as well.

Of course - none of this will matter if they just go with prequels :D

Yeah, I get why people want no set hierarchy for the Gyms, but they have one for a reason.

I get that it is annoying to backtrack to certain cities, but with the Ride Pokemon nowadays, it's not that much of a problem.

That said, I think a sequal would also be interesting. How Cyrus is faring in the Distortion World, for example.

If that happens, they'll have to reboot some of the gym leaders and their characteristics in the DPPt games. For example, Volkner said he was the strongest gym leader in the region (I think he wanted to join the E4 or something). If the gym challenges don't have a sequence, they'll have to change his story about his boredom from being the strongest and major game events that stemmed from his boredom, like the Sunyshore blackout. If I remember correctly, Volkner designed his gym puzzles out of boredom from being too strong. If we take away the gym leader hierarchy from Sinnoh, they'll have to change Volkner's character and some of the events and even aesthetic designs as well.

Of course - none of this will matter if they just go with prequels :D
Yes, but a gym leader's job is to test trainers and their abilities. I doubt a trainer who has no gym badges yet would get to fight the same team as a trainer with 7 badges. So just because Volkner has the best capabilities, doesn't mean he has to fight at full strength all the time. Iirc, none of the battles he had had so far posed a challenge. And that's why he's bored. So a rookie trainer challenger would still fit, cause he wouldn't even need to go all out, or be able to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom