• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Generational Fix Project

yudgefudge

KAMALA KHAN, QUEEN OF THE MCU
Reaction score
So I had myself thinking. What Pokemon do people actually hate in Gen 5?
So I took the entire Pokedex, and slimmed it down to the outright disappointing Pokemon in the generation. So, I slimmed it down, and put the problems of each one:
  • Serperior (Typing)
  • Emboar (Typing, design)
  • Samurott (Typing, design)
  • Elemental monkeys (everything)
  • Unfezant (design, typing)
  • Throh & Sawk (design)
  • Garbodor (design, execution)
  • Basculin (design, typing, lack of evolution, execution)
  • Vanilluxe (design)
  • Klinklang (everything except for typing)
You can change the design, or typing if typing is part of the problem.
So I'll start with the Elemental Monkeys. You can do any other one, and if we can finish these, we can move on to more generations!

• So I'm reworking the trio entirely. Pansage and Simisage are becoming Electric types, to help differentiate them from the starters. With change of type comes change of name so its gonna be called Panshock and Simishock. To help sell the "speak-no-evil" it uses electrical signals to communicate, and it helps in the kitchen by powering stoves, starting fires and other. Pansage would change design wise to reflect the new typing, and Simisage gets to keep the pompadour, so it can keep its "yankī" inspiration.
  • Pansear and Simisear are becoming Flying types, and are being renamed Panstrato and Simistrato. Their fiery aesthetic becomes the cloud aesthetic, and they can fly at fast speeds, on clouds. To help sell the "hear-no-evil" it's actually deaf, because of the air constantly passing by its ears. Which fits the biker motif, since what they do is try to deafen people with their loud horns. And in the kitchen, they help by redirecting smoke, airing vegetables, and blowing off sand.
  • Lastly, Panpour and Simipour. They'll be Ground-types. Named Pansand and Simisand, it uses Seismic Sense to view people, think Toph from Avatar, since it's blind, so help the "see-no-evil" motif. Upon becoming Simisand, it creates sand sculptures of itself, and its hair is constantly changing with geomancy to fit with the latest styles. In the kitchen, it helps grow plants.
So what do you guys think? Have I fixed the problems with the Simi trio? And how would you fix the others?

So I had myself thinking. What Pokemon do people actually hate in Gen 5?
So I took the entire Pokedex, and slimmed it down to the outright disappointing Pokemon in the generation. So, I slimmed it down, and put the problems of each one:
  • Serperior (Typing)
  • Emboar (Typing, design)
  • Samurott (Typing, design)
  • Elemental monkeys (everything)
  • Unfezant (design, typing)
  • Throh & Sawk (design)
  • Garbodor (design, execution)
  • Basculin (design, typing, lack of evolution, execution)
  • Vanilluxe (design)
  • Klinklang (everything except for typing)
You can change the design, or typing if typing is part of the problem.
So I'll start with the Elemental Monkeys. You can do any other one, and if we can finish these, we can move on to more generations!

STARTERS would get megas and moveset upgrade...

serperior grass/ghost or grass/steel, for its defensive capability, would make it gain all stats +20
grass/steel would fir more here, maybe ability Heatproof?

Emboar would get +25 into attack, sp. attack, defense and sp. defense, typing change fire/dark, deon pig in journey to the west, against psychic types, would let speed the same. would make it gain storm drain to make its scald more hard hitting for joke and seperate it from Incineroar more

Samurott- water/steel, rise all stats per 20 and maybe a new ability for priority razor, blade moves? Multiscale ability and a shel like samurai armor.

the elemental monkeys would gain sound moves and matched to their types, would make them gain megas and do the water/grass, fire/grass and water/fire triangle with them as their megas

• Unfezant (design, typing) , would make it gain a mega flying/ghost bc hallow in its japanese name and would gain a ability fitting its motive
  • Throh & Sawk (design), would make them get megas with new abilities
  • Garbodor (design, execution), got a Gigantamax, would make it get item to use that still
  • Basculin (design, typing, lack of evolution, execution)--> make it get 2 forms, evos or mega evos, one would be a red water/dragon and one a blue water/steel swordfish depending what one is battling when the other one is in the party, or they would evolve after a double battle.
  • Vanilluxe (design), mega with a ice cup castle like form
  • Klinklang (everything except for typing), would get cool mega form and motor drive ability

What Pokemon do people actually hate in Gen 5?
The problem with such projects is... there is no consensus on what "everyone" hates about Gen 5. I've seen people totally in love with the Gen 5 starters. I hate a fair share of Gen. 5 Pokemon but am fine with Garbodor and Klingklang and so on.

The problem with such projects is... there is no consensus on what "everyone" hates about Gen 5. I've seen people totally in love with the Gen 5 starters. I hate a fair share of Gen. 5 Pokemon but am fine with Garbodor and Klingklang and so on.
^Yes, this. It’s completely subjective. For every 5 people that hate Vanillite because it’s an ice cream, there will be 5 who love it for the same reason.
There’s no “established consensus” that people hate gen 5. It’s just that many who do are vocal about it.

Well, this might have been true when Gen 5 was the current generation, but not anymore. I see a lot of love for this generation by fans, I myself love Gen 5 for many reasons, especially the Pokemon. I mean, the only Pokemon from this generation I still see getting the flak these days are the Simi's and maybe the Kami trio.

Last edited:
Generation 5 holds a special place in my heart because it's the first "new generation" for me. I joined the series when Platinum was about to be released, so when the gen 5 was released, I, like many others, was initially put off by the designs of the Pokémon. Later when I gave the games another try, I ended up enjoying the gameplay and the designs. However there are still some designs that I would either change or remove:
  1. The elemental monkeys: I think these bother me the most because of how they were implemented. Right off the bat, you have 3 evolutionary lines that are very similar to each other: A smaller monkey that evolves into a bigger monkey with a type difference. The names are very formulaic as well, adding to the "unoriginality". Ideally what I would do is get rid of two of the evolutionary lines and keep one, preferably Panpour (because we already had Chimchar and so TPC can still make a new grass type monkey for Gen 8). If Panpour existed on its own, I'm more than sure it wouldn't get much flak. The way the game gives you one these and makes you face another one of these depending on the starter you pick convinces me that the monkeys were only designed to suit this role. If the grass/water/fire trio were completely different species from each other, then it'd seem a lot less lazy. Alternatively, if they'd make the 3 evolutionary lines linked to each other e.g. form difference or give an explanation that they're related like the Nidoran family or Volbeat and Illumise are, I would accept that more.
  2. Gurdurr: I think it's weird how it wields a manmade girdir. At least with Timburr, it's holding an object made from a tree, and Conkeldurr is said to have invented concrete and even taught humans!
  3. Klinklang: I don't like how it looks like Klang with an upgrade. I think they should have differentiated it more to look different from its pre-evolution as they look identical from the top half.
  4. The Genies: Luckily B2W2 fixed this with the Therian forms, but I always thought the base forms looked to similar to each other, like how Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf do.
That's about it, I think all the other designs are fine. Gen 5 overall has a really good regional dex, especially for bug types! I think some people don't like it for reasons like object Pokémon, but they've always been an essential part of the series. Even something like Vanillite, I love how it's not supposed to be an ice cream but an icicle covered in snow, giving it the illusion of an ice cream! Another complaint is that Unova has a lot of counterparts with Kanto Pokémon, but I don't see that as a disadvantage because they are unique enough to be their own thing.
It would have been nice if Alomomola were an evolution of Luvdisc, but I suppose they wanted to go with the "no Gen 1-4 Pokémon until after the Elite Four" in the original BW.
EDIT: I remembered that I forgot to mention Throh and Sawk, I don't like how they wear clothes (this also bothers me with Machoke and Machamp). Something like this is what I'd prefer:
y4POYCi.png

Last edited:
I thought this thread was about general fixes to each generation, and not specifics about fixing gen 5 Pokémon. While there are some gen 5 Pokémon that I would like to change, not everyone would agree with my changes to them so, uh, there unfortunately won't ever be a way to make everyone like (almost) every gen 5 Pokémon. But that has been touched above.

To go back to my first sentence, I do have a non-Pokémon changes I'd like to make to gen 5. Or, more specifically, to the region itself. I don't think I am mistaken in saying that Unova isn't as, for a lack of better words, connected to its real-world inspiration as, say, Galar (though that's 100% attributed to the fact that they had a Brit as their head designer). I believe it was Shib who said that Galar had a lot of little details that made it feel more like its real-world counterpart, such as the signage, while Unova didn't. I guess my change would be to add more little details to make it feel more connected to NYC.

I thought this thread was about general fixes to each generation, and not specifics about fixing gen 5 Pokémon.
That's true, I decided to tackle that specifically because I had some things to say. Most of us ended up talking about the designs in particular because that's what OP talked about.
In terms of "fixing" generations, I have a few things to say about the second and third generation:
  • While I love the Johto based games, I'm actually not a huge fan of the reinclusion of Kanto at all. While the concept is nice, I feel like the execution wasn't done that well especially in GSC, although this was improved in HGSS. My main problem is how it affected the main game, I feel like the Elite Four was made weaker to compensate the new region. Additionally, I didn't like how several of the new Johto Pokémon were actually only found in Kanto (e.g. Slugma and Houndoom) , it didn't make much sense that the new Pokémon were locked away in a region from a previous generation, especially how the Johto games already have low encounter rates and use Johto Pokémon more sparingly than Kanto Pokémon. Again HGSS solved some problems with Kanto feeling really empty by opening up Viridian Forest, the Safari Zone, Seafoam Islands and Cerulean Cave which were needed changes to give the extra region more things to do.
  • I don't think the Incense was a great item to introduce as the only thing it does is be consistent with previous generations. The only reason why someone would want to use an incense to get Azurill instead of Marill is for the Pokédex. I think it would be more logical to always hatch into Azurill, instead of using an item to deliberately obtain a premature baby. In Gen 3 you get an egg for Wynaut well before being able to catch Wynaut, and can also obtain them in Mirage Island, but Azurill is only obtained by breeding Marill, meaning the player will always obtain Marill before Azurill. This was a problem with Gen 2 as well since most babies were obtained after their evolution (and some can only be obtained after they've completed the Johto campaign such as Cleffa). However, at least in Gen 2 you have to train a Baby Pokémon each time you want to breed, which is made optional through the introduction of Incenses (I think some egg moves are locked behind the incense-babies but I don't think that's a sound argument for the existence of Incenses). Thankfully Gen 4 does a better job at making all baby Pokémon available before their evolutions in the wild.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom