• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly - Sprites and Models

Reaction score
As many people know, the graphics in the Pokémon games have been constantly improved and updated throughout all the various generations.

Some people still prefer the sprites, some others love the models, some others would like to see how newer Pokémon would look like with the “rougher” designs.

In this thread, you can discuss and comment about the best and the worst sprites and models to date. This shouldn’t be limited to Pokémon only, as you can also discuss how Trainers look like and other things.

To kickstart the discussion, here are two sprites and one model from different games.

• The Good

Spr_4h_059.png

Arcanine - Heart Gold / Soul Silver

This is one of the most detailed and best sprites ever made, imo. The pose is also great, with Arcanine showing a fierce expression and looking ready to sprint toward the opponent at Extreme Speed. Definitely one of my favorite sprites.

• The Bad

latest

Swellow - X / Y

Now, this model isn’t too bad, but I’m not a fan of how Swellow is perpetually gliding with a perpetual wind from nowhere. Personally, I feel it would be much better if it flapped its wings once in a while, like a real bird.

The Ugly
Spr_1g_151.png

Mew - Red (JAP) / Green

What, just… what is this thing supposed to be? Some kind of… mutated cat with an overgrown head? It’s no wonder that Mewtwo has become so jaded and with such Frankenstein-like look. Even for a R/G sprite, this is really weird-looking.

I like this thread. Nice and cohesive.

The Good -

absol.png

Absol - Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS

This guy is not only one of my favorite Pokemon. Just pay attention to the model detail. Albeit the fact I did not use the moving model (to prove a point), it's a clean sheer beautiful model. For the 3DS this is what I want to see for every model.

The Bad -
houndoom-f.png

Houndoom - Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS

Right off the bad. Does this Houndoom look nearly as sheer and clean as Absol? No. It doesn't. That doesn't mean it's 100% trash. That's why it's not ugly. However the attention to details here are pretty poor. Even the poly's for Houndoom's bone structure for the legs and back are fading in weirdly. Even the chest bone sigil is poor. Such a shame.

The Ugly -
Spr_1g_130.png

Gyarados - Pokemon Red/Green/Blue(JAP)

Okay. I know what you all are thinking. "this is frum the first game and the first gayme is perfect and they didn't know what they were donig!!! It waz the first gameee!!!!"
Sorry. No. I mean yes, there are technological limitations. Etc. etc. Hence the Pokemon limit being 150. (Still a lot for it's time) However there were still GOOD sprites from the first game. Yes, you heard me right. There are plenty of good examples of sprites that actually work. This is such a glaring example of a bad set of sprites.

The Good
Spr_2g_156.png

Really awesome. Looks like it came from hell - in a good way. That permanent mohawk and the red eyes makes it look so cool.

The Bad
Spr_6x_618.png

XY
I mean, it is certainly funny when you encounter a Stunfisk because it is more or less a straight line... but this is pretty bad imo

The Ugly
Spr_1b_042.png

Some of the Gen1 sprites are just silly

The Good...

snivy.gif

Snivy - B/W
I might be a bit biased with this one since Snivy is one of my favourite Pokémon, but I've always loved this sprite. It's the way it crosses it's arms and then nods it's head a bit. I think it's great.
I love Snivy's BW2 Sprite as well.
snivy.gif

...The Bad...

delphox.png

Delphox - X/Y
One of the reasons I couldn't get into Delphox. Looks incredibly stiff and awkward, even when animated. It would have looked a lot nicer if they done it in a pose similar to that of Sugimori's official artwork.

...And the Ugly...

Spr_1g_107.png

Hitmonchan - Red/Green
Like others have said on the internet, it looks like a Togekiss watching a Doduo take a dump. Barely even looks like Hitmonchan...

Spr_1g_107.png

Hitmonchan - Red/Green
Like others have said on the internet, it looks like a Togekiss watching a Doduo take a dump. Barely even looks like Hitmonchan...

cannot_be_unseen.jpg

For me:

The Good
torracat.gif

He just looks so well-made and his fluid movements are captivating! My favorite middle starter of all time.

The Bad
electabuzz.gif

This is not a bad model. I do have a problem with how his teeth are not in his mouth. It's awkward looking. I know a lot of Pokemon with fangs got the same treatment, but this is my favorite Pokemon of all time and to see this is cringey.

The Ugly
Spr_1g_040.png

I didn't want to throw in a JP Red and Green sprite into the mix because they are such easy targets, but how can I not?? I HATE all the original Red and Green sprites, but this sprite takes the cake. Those eyes! :eek:

Last edited:
I love Snivy's BW2 Sprite as well.
I forgot that some of the animations were changed in BW2!

Vulpix's DP sprite was infamous on PokéFarm back in the day.
vulpix.png

Piplup also looks really dumb in Platinum, like it was changed just for the sake of it.
piplup.png

Generation I (especially the Japanese versions) had some pretty ugly sprites.

A few examples would be:

Spr_1g_002.png
Spr_1g_074.png
Spr_1g_146.png

(Like what is Moltres even doiiing :v)

There are a few good ones in those games that I really love though:

Spr_1g_038.png
Spr_1g_073.png
Spr_1g_093.png

(Tentacruel is just like "I dunno man")

Moving on from generation I, I think the 3D models are rather bad in general. They look stiff, and most of the Pokémon are just standing in once place. It's a weird change from the dynamic, cool sprites they had in generation IV.

And then just some all time favourites, from any gen:
Spr_3f_151.png
Spr_4d_136.png
Spr_2s_134.png
Spr_4p_461_m.png

They're all so beautiful.

I didn't know how to follow the usual gimmick with "the good, the bad and the ugly", cause I just have too much to say about this, lol.

Here are some of my favorites, and some of my least favorites. I in general have a preference for the sprites a lot more than the 3D models, though that's not always the case.
THE GOOD
Weezing (GSC)
Spr_2c_110.png
Spr_2c_222.png
Spr_1b_073.png
18.gif

I love the dark purple color that was changed out for lighter purple later on. Also Tentacruel is straight thuggin.

latest

Unown F is like haiiii
304.gif

I'll always remember Aron jumping on it's hind legs. So cute :cry:

Spr_4h_245.png

Suicune looks so cool with his HGSS sprite

THE BAD
I'll admit my bias, but I don't like a lot of the 3D models. Here are some

hitmontop.gif
tropius.gif
typhlosion.gif

Hitmontop looks like Jazzercise instructor with crazy eyes. And tropius is just a fat dinosaur chillin in midair. And I've mentioned it many times before but Typhlosion looks bald and harmless without his trademark flames!

THE UGLY

Spr_2g_243.png
Spr_1y_137.png

Raikou what happened to you?? :confused: Also Porygon... you doin' okay there buddy?
Spr_1g_003.png

Uhhhhh :unsure:

(I will use Trainer sprites too)

The Good:
Spr_4p_395.png

Platinum/HGSS Empoleon.
I may be a lil bit biased because I love Empoleon, but this sprite is undeniably good. That pose sure fits an emperor.

The Bad:
GSC_Dude_Back.png

The catching tutorial dude from GSC.
He looks like a poorly edited DeviantArt base.

The Ugly:
Spr_GS_Medium.png

GSC Mediums.
Their ugly faces were the scariest part of the Ghost gym.

Special mention goes to:
Spr_GS_Twins.png

GSC Twins.
They come from Hell itself.

The Good:

So, I've been replaying Emerald lately. I often see the sprite animations from that game being criticized for not being as unique or as characterized as the ones from Crystal, and to some extent, that's true. However, there are some hidden gems in there, such as Machoke:

Spr_3e_067.png

The crouching position makes it look like it's prepping for battle, and then it gives an energetic power flex and an amped-up grin. It's probably the most personality that Machoke has been given in the games. Another one from Emerald that I like is Absol:

Spr_3e_359.png

The GIF doesn't adequately communicate the appeal. To start with, Absol's pose is already great, giving it an angle that evenly displays all of its spikes and curves while creating a very distinctive, abstract silhouette. Furthermore, its positioning, with its body being slightly slanted away from you, its front paw being held up defensively, and its head being turned make it look very evasive. You can easily believe that this is an animal that people only catch the occasional glance of (8% encounter rate), and it also plays into Absol's background - because of its mistaken association with natural disasters, humans have demonized it and targeted it, which informs its sprite design with a sense of wariness and, as I said before, evasiveness. But what's really great about the Emerald animation that doesn't quite come through here is, when it makes that circular movement, its motion is followed by a trail of afterimages. To me, that brilliantly reiterates what I said about it being hard to catch a glimpse of, and gives it a nice mythical quality.

I also find Spheal's animation to be quite satisfying to watch:

Spr_3e_363.png

Hitmonlee is really good, too. The positioning and animation are simple but instantly clear, with a nice dynamic perspective:

Spr_3e_106.png

Puts the subsequent DPP and BW sprites to shame.

The Bad:

Solrock is pretty bad, with the way that it just flattens awkwardly while wobbling around:

Spr_3e_338.png

I think it would have been pretty cool if it spun around like Spheal up there.

The Ugly:

Scizor just... isn't good:

Spr_3e_212.png

The way it hangs in the air so limply on those tiny wings makes it seem more like some kind of fairy than a metallic bug warrior.

And Wartortle:

Spr_3e_008.png

Nothing about this one is flattering.

The Ugly
Spr_1g_151.png

Mew - Red (JAP) / Green

What, just… what is this thing supposed to be? Some kind of… mutated cat with an overgrown head? It’s no wonder that Mewtwo has become so jaded and with such Frankenstein-like look. Even for a R/G sprite, this is really weird-looking.

All true, although I have to admit that I kinda prefer this freakish lumpy mutant look over the more plainly cute "official" rendition.

Along similar lines, I have a decided preference for this hulking monstrosity:

Spr_1b_150.png

... over the Pelvic Presenter here:

Spr_1y_150.png

Actually, while I'm at it, I wish the RB Mewtwo looked more lumpy, like that Mew sprite.

Spr_1g_146.png

(Like what is Moltres even doiiing :v)

Working on its sultry, half-asleep look for the photoshoot.

hitmontop.gif
tropius.gif
typhlosion.gif

Hitmontop looks like Jazzercise instructor with crazy eyes. And tropius is just a fat dinosaur chillin in midair. And I've mentioned it many times before but Typhlosion looks bald and harmless without his trademark flames!

See, Tropius and Typhlosion I can agree with, but I like Hitmontop. It's doing a capoeira motion called the ginga. I think it's a nice touch that builds on its theme, and in a far more effective way than this miserable effort:

Spr_5b_237.png

I mean, I understand wanting to illustrate the whole "on its head" thing, but it's supposed to spin on its head, not just bounce and wobble.

I dislike how a lot of models look just, static. Every flying one that's gliding in place looks so bad
others just look they're not fighting or doing anything, they're just standing, they're not in a pose at all
I feel a lot of pokemon lost their personality on the jump to 3d because they didn't really pose them and had them in a completely neutral stance

The GIF doesn't adequately communicate the appeal. To start with, Absol's pose is already great, giving it an angle that evenly displays all of its spikes and curves while creating a very distinctive, abstract silhouette. Furthermore, its positioning, with its body being slightly slanted away from you, its front paw being held up defensively, and its head being turned make it look very evasive. You can easily believe that this is an animal that people only catch the occasional glance of (8% encounter rate), and it also plays into Absol's background - because of its mistaken association with natural disasters, humans have demonized it and targeted it, which informs its sprite design with a sense of wariness and, as I said before, evasiveness. But what's really great about the Emerald animation that doesn't quite come through here is, when it makes that circular movement, its motion is followed by a trail of afterimages. To me, that brilliantly reiterates what I said about it being hard to catch a glimpse of, and gives it a nice mythical quality.

The sprite does look nice.

The Good:
Spr_1y_009.png
Spr_2s_009.png
Spr_5b_635.png

I really like Blastoise's Yellow and Silver sprites. They're both presented in dynamic poses showing off their cannons, giving the impression of a powerful Pokémon ready to fight. What I like about Hydreigon's animation are the other heads, which imo resemble hand puppets. What's meant to be a threatening dragon is instead a goofy dragon waving its hand puppets around.

The Bad:
typhlosion.gif
haxorus.gif

I'm not a big fan of the Gen VI/VII models tbh. Typhlosion looks so awkward just standing around without its flames - it look so much better with its flame and a dynamic pose. Haxorus didn't translate well either - its tusk was shortened, its ankles were lengthed, and its tail was thickened. I believe there was an attempt at emulating the Sugimori artwork that ultimately failed.

The Ugly:
Spr_1g_045.png
Spr_1g_003.png
GR_146_front.png

Gen I (especially Green) didn't have the best spritework.

Last edited:
The Good:
Spr_3f_031.png

She looks tough and determined, just the way she should look.
The Bad:
Spr_3r_243.png

Not as atrocious as its Gold/Silver sprite, but it looks lifeless.
The Ugly:
Spr_3r_373.png

It looks flattened, and the colours of its body and wings are all messed up.

MDP244.png

Entei here looks really flat.

I can't find an image of it right now, but Grovyle's sprite in Rescue Team is too dark and undersaturated.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom