• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The grass is shaking! Oh noes!!

Heredity

Reaction score
Seriously, what is up with that?

Each time I've walked into either some shaking grass, or a cloud of dirt (in a cave), I've encountered a wild Pokemon that comes with special wild Pokemon music.

Is it just for those specific Pokemon that show up in such battles, or does it serve a greater purpose?

Yeah, that shaking grass means that Tabunne is more likely to be found(if not guranteed) in that grass.

It's like R/B/Y's Chansey, meaning its really rare, but is found in every route of the game.

I read somewhere that rarer Pokemon like Tabunne are in the shaking grass.

Well, so far I've found two Pokemon in shaking parts of the environment. As you mentioned, Tabunne, and I have also found Mole Man.

I thought they may have been deeper than that (say, being more powerful, of a higher level or with greater EVs or stats or something).

Yeah, that shaking grass means that Tabunne is more likely to be found(if not guranteed) in that grass.

It's like R/B/Y's Chansey, meaning its really rare, but is found in every route of the game.

That would be NOTHING like RBY's Chansey, which was only found in two specific places - the Safari Zone and the Unknown Dungeon.

So unlike Chansey it actually seems like its going around healing things.

It's actually kind of a cool feature, and a nice way to find rarer pokemon.

For me:
Grass is Tabunne
Water is Red Basurao (I normally get blue)
Cave is Doryuuzu
Bridge is ... baby Swanna

The special wild music indicates that the wild pokemon is much rarer OR in some cases, you are in a double wild battle.

In the example given, the grass shaking means it is more likely to obtain Tabunne in that patch of grass. Tabunne can be found on all routes, but there is a very small percentage of it appearing. The shaking grass increases the chances of finding it there.

The special wild music indicates that the wild pokemon is much rarer OR in some cases, you are in a double wild battle.

In the example given, the grass shaking means it is more likely to obtain Tabunne in that patch of grass. Tabunne can be found on all routes, but there is a very small percentage of it appearing. The shaking grass increases the chances of finding it there.

Yep. But Tabunne isn't really that rare. I caught one and battled three in a single day. :ksmile:

Then you are lucky. Tabunne is like Chansey. You seldom ever see them.

So let me get this straight. When the grass rustles or whatnot (depending on your location), you have a much higher chance of finding a rarer Pokemon? Now that is cool! When I get my games, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for those little movements. Who needs a PokeRadar when in Gen V all it takes is a sharp eye to find something a little higher on the rarity scale. I am loving Gen V more by the day.

So let me get this straight. When the grass rustles or whatnot (depending on your location), you have a much higher chance of finding a rarer Pokemon? Now that is cool! When I get my games, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for those little movements.

You won't need to keep your eyes peeled, though. ;P You just need to hear the sounds of the rustling bush, and then walk to the bush, in Tabunne's case.

Tabunne is bloody common. It's things like Dragonite, Milotic, BigDog and Tyranitar that are the rare stuff.

Feebas are pretty common on Route 1. But man, Basurao are annoying.

So how early in the game can you encounter shaking grass and how common is it? I imagine that it's pretty rare since you get such good Pokémon out of it.

So how early in the game can you encounter shaking grass and how common is it? I imagine that it's pretty rare since you get such good Pokémon out of it.

I found my first on Route 2. And they aren't very rare. Sometimes, they appear every 500 steps, sometimes only 20. It's always different.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom