• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Great Disney Debate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney was quite good in the old days. There weren't as many cartoons in those days, so they were entertaining to people. Just look at Snow White and how good it did at the box office! They did a good job on Pinocchio, Bambi (eventhough it's kinda stupid), Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and a lot of other films.

After Walt Disney died, the cartoons stayed good. Especially the ones that were around when I was little, like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. Their stuff with Pixar was also good (though I admit that Up was pretty stupid.)

However, now their stuff is ridiculous. Hercules and Mulan were pretty bad. Hercules was almost as insulting to Greek mythology as Clash of the Titans (which I heard is being remade). And my sister and I used to make fun of Mulan all the time when we were younger. Treasure Planet was one of the crappiest things ever made by ANY company. What were they smoking when they thought it up? Chicken Little did more damage. But the one movie that I have the biggest problem with is The Wild, that apparent ripoff of Madagascar. It was pathetic, annoying, and unoriginal.

I do think that Lilo & Stitch and Enchanted were great, and I have high hopes for their newest one with the black girl, but overall, there's been a huge decline lately. Maybe because of competition? I don't know.

My REAL biggest problem, of course, is the Disney Channel. I hate Miley Cyrus so much, I can't even go into detail about why. Let's just say she's a bad role model for her audience that is mostly made up of little girls. I hate the Jonas Brothers too, and the shows on the Disney Channel are so annoying, especially the ones made in the past few years. The kids are so obnoxious, they make me want to live in an evangelical Christian household.

High School Musical is also a load of crap - so much that I can't go into detail about it. According to a magazine that I read, Ashley Tisdale lied about being bullied as a kid. In fact, she was bullying other kids. Some of these Disney starlets make Paris Hilton look like the Virgin Mary.

And the kiddie crap, like the Little Einsteins, is not good for kids either. It's just plain silly.

Overall, Disney is a shadow of its former self. Please stick with animated movies like you did 50 years ago or even 20 years ago. No more of this Miley Cyrus/HSM/Disney Channel crap.

If there's one thing I like about Disney, it's Don Rosa and Carl Barks. Don Rosa's cartoons are seriously epic, in every sense of the word. Carl Barks come on a close second.

I don't really care more for Disney, but I'm always on the hunt for Barks and Don Rosa though. But I don't really watch Disney channel nor do I actually watch any movies, although some of those Pixar-movies are quite entertaining, at least Monsters Inc.

Disney was quite good in the old days. There weren't as many cartoons in those days, so they were entertaining to people. Just look at Snow White and how good it did at the box office! They did a good job on Pinocchio, Bambi (eventhough it's kinda stupid), Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and a lot of other films.

After Walt Disney died, the cartoons stayed good. Especially the ones that were around when I was little, like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. Their stuff with Pixar was also good (though I admit that Up was pretty stupid.)

However, now their stuff is ridiculous. Hercules and Mulan were pretty bad. Hercules was almost as insulting to Greek mythology as Clash of the Titans (which I heard is being remade). And my sister and I used to make fun of Mulan all the time when we were younger.

Hey now, I actually liked Hercules and Mulan. Even though the mythology was horribly raped in Hercules and some of the scenes make you think you're on acid, it's a fun movie that was actually meant to parody different devices used in previous Disney works, much like the more current Enchanted. Meg actually stands out as one of the best Disney girls there is. It was about time they had a sarcastic girl with tons of attitude, a nice breather from their typical princesses (not that there's anything wrong with them).

And Mulan was actually quite enjoyable in a similar way to why The Hunchback of Notre Dame was; aside from slight changes and the sequel, it remained very true to the orgin story. The music was great, the art was great, and there was good humor. Not to mention Shang's VA in the Mandarin Chinese version is Jackie Chan.

Yes, I actually go and watch the movies in the language of the country the initial stories originated in. So I watched Cinderella and The Hunchback of Notre Dame in French, Sleeping Beauty in German, Hercules in Greek, Mulan in Chinese, Aladdin in Arabic, The Little Mermaid in Danish...

And the songs sound awesome even in other languages.

Yes, I'm a nerd. -shot-

Hey now, I actually liked Hercules and Mulan. Even though the mythology was horribly raped in Hercules and some of the scenes make you think you're on acid, it's a fun movie that was actually meant to parody different devices used in previous Disney works, much like the more current Enchanted. Meg actually stands out as one of the best Disney girls there is. It was about time they had a sarcastic girl with tons of attitude, a nice breather from their typical princesses (not that there's anything wrong with them).

And Mulan was actually quite enjoyable in a similar way to why The Hunchback of Notre Dame was; aside from slight changes and the sequel, it remained very true to the orgin story. The music was great, the art was great, and there was good humor. Not to mention Shang's VA in the Mandarin Chinese version is Jackie Chan.

Yes, I actually go and watch the movies in the language of the country the initial stories originated in. So I watched Cinderella and The Hunchback of Notre Dame in French, Sleeping Beauty in German, Hercules in Greek, Mulan in Chinese, Aladdin in Arabic, The Little Mermaid in Danish...

And the songs sound awesome even in other languages.

Yes, I'm a nerd. -shot-

You forgot The Lion King in Zulu, which is hard to find, but whatever.

You forgot The Lion King in Zulu, which is hard to find, but whatever.

Don't you mean Japanese?

Bell02+ said:
Disney Channel started out as basically a 24 hour network to show Disney and Children's movies, and that was great because back then there was no cartoon network and sometimes you didn't want to watch Nickelodeon because not everyone loved every program at the time (Because they were really the only kid's channels).

I believe they eventually evolved into this somewhere in the 80's, but I remember the station going off in the early morning back around the early/mid 80's (if I'd set the VCR to record a late movie they would show, I remember after the last movie shown, they'd announce that was all for the night and not show anything else). Also, it was mostly Disney + Children's movies back then, but for some odd reason they would show things like Fiddler on the Roof back in the day (another of those movies I'd tape for future viewing back in the day).

And mmmm, I miss the 80's Nickelodeon. I was a total You Can't Do That On Television junkie, and the old Nick at Night block of mostly black and white shows was something that I adored as a kid. I even remember when they first started doing game show type programs such as Double Dare and Finder's Keepers (I think that was the name). But enough about that, this isn't the Nick thread... and I guess I'm probably majorly showing my age with this post.

Last edited:
I forgot The Emperor's New Groove in Latin Spanish, and Pinocchio in Italian.

Japanese? Sure, The Lion King was supposed to originally be a Kimba remake, but I don't think it's quite Japanese.

Don't you mean Japanese?

I believe they eventually evolved into this somewhere in the 80's, but I remember the station going off in the early morning back around the early/mid 80's (if I'd set the VCR to record a late movie they would show, I remember after the last movie shown, they'd announce that was all for the night and not show anything else). Also, it was mostly Disney + Children's movies back then, but for some odd reason they would show things like Fiddler on the Roof back in the day (another of those movies I'd tape for future viewing back in the day).

And mmmm, I miss the 80's Nickelodeon. I was a total You Can't Do That On Television junkie, and the old Nick at Night block of mostly black and white shows was something that I adored as a kid. I even remember when they first started doing game show type programs such as Double Dare and Finder's Keepers (I think that was the name). But enough about that, this isn't the Nick thread... and I guess I'm probably majorly showing my age with this post.

Oh man, I loved Double Dare and Finders Keepers. I watched them when they came on Nick GAS about seven years ago.

I never really liked Disney... one, because Walt supported the Nazis (although not as much as Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh did), and because he also had a field day during McCarthy Red Scare accusing his colleagues.

Disney supported the Nazis??? I knew about the Red Scare thing, but...Nazis???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom