• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Hoenn Region

Mitchman

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
We have a thread speculating on possible new areas, but we never really covered the rest of the region, and what kind of changes we're likely gonna see.
Like for example, do you guys think we'll see a major change in landscape? What I mean is, its obvious Kalos is missing the trademark land of forests look the other region have, as the camera's viewpoint and such would be hindered by having forests everywhere, and they instead went for a more natural open plain look. Do you guys think the new real estate that would occur by chaning this could lead to route expansions? Or perhaps they will keep it, offering a more traditional look to the region?
Also, do you guys think that they'll offer a bigger sense of scale, or dumb things down? Cause from what I've gathered, we have nothing the size of Mt Chimney, the Sky Tower and what not in Kalos, and if the world is pictured as is, we might have some bigger routes to deal with.

We have a thread speculating on possible new areas, but we never really covered the rest of the region, and what kind of changes we're likely gonna see.
Like for example, do you guys think we'll see a major change in landscape? What I mean is, its obvious Kalos is missing the trademark land of forests look the other region have, as the camera's viewpoint and such would be hindered by having forests everywhere, and they instead went for a more natural open plain look. Do you guys think the new real estate that would occur by chaning this could lead to route expansions? Or perhaps they will keep it, offering a more traditional look to the region?
Also, do you guys think that they'll offer a bigger sense of scale, or dumb things down? Cause from what I've gathered, we have nothing the size of Mt Chimney, the Sky Tower and what not in Kalos, and if the world is pictured as is, we might have some bigger routes to deal with.

Umm...Santalune Forest, Route 20 and the Pokemon Village? Not to mention all of Central Kalos? Kalos has a great deal of forested areas :p

As for Hoenn, all I see are generally updated versions of Hoenn's current geography, but just in 3D. I don't think it will be a big issue/deal/change.

And if XY gave us scenery and buildings as detailed and extravagant as the Tower of Mastery, then I'm positive large places such as Sky Pillar can also be done.

Umm...Santalune Forest, Route 20 and the Pokemon Village? Not to mention all of Central Kalos? Kalos has a great deal of forested areas :p

As for Hoenn, all I see are generally updated versions of Hoenn's current geography, but just in 3D. I don't think it will be a big issue/deal/change.

And if XY gave us scenery and buildings as detailed and extravagant as the Tower of Mastery, then I'm positive large places such as Sky Pillar can also be done.

I think that by land of forest is that the over world in Gen 3 and 4 was almost boxed in by trees while Kalos wasn't because the change of camera view.

Ruby-Sapphire_Littleroot_Town.png

For example, in Little Root Town, notice the trees making the boundaries of the town? I believe thats what was meant.

I don't think there's much that needs updating. The water routes could stand to be busier, adding in more rest areas and landmarks to make them much more navigable. So maybe more islands, shallows, maybe some palm trees for a bit of eye candy. I'd also like to see more lava in the Mt. Chimney area (maybe they could even use this as an obstacle where you have to ride a Pokemon like Torkoal to cross them). Finally, I want Mt. Pyre to be redesigned to be a bit more straightforward. Instead of having a main path that leads nowhere and a side path that is mandatory for progression, design it so it's one long path weaving in and out of the mountain (with lots of optional paths to explore, of course).

Yeah, the forest boundaries always kinda bothered me in pre-Kalos regions and this is exactly the kind of pointless thing I lose sleep over and doing away with them would be nice, though it'd call for a massive redesign of many routes and cities.

It's worth mentioning how since Black and White there's been a stable progression in 3D environments and the corresponding camera angles, and now there's not even a rigid grid anymore (other than the insides of buildings). Out of all the remakes so far Hoenn may stand to see the biggest changes, so that'll be fun to see.

Big design things I want?

-Multiple heights of areas in Petalburg Woods.
-Fortree City to be noticeably high up in the sky.
-Ash to fall in Fallarbor Town and routes where you can collect ash.
-Rain puddles. BW introduced some cool gameplay where during a certain season you can access a new area with new weather. If its raining somewhere I want to be able to surf to get a cool item. If its sunny somewhere I want water to be noticeably missing.
-Rusturf Tunnel to utilize Defog.

Its really more design choices that I want to see throughout Hoenn.

I swear to God, if I ever see Defog back as a field move, I'm leaving this series.

Defog is like Flash, you don't need it. I made it through the Defog routes in DPPt just fine without it. Its annoying yes, but I'd still like to see it as at least a TM field move like Flash or Dig.

I swear to God, if I ever see Defog back as a field move, I'm leaving this series.

Defog is like Flash, you don't need it. I made it through the Defog routes in DPPt just fine without it. Its annoying yes, but I'd still like to see it as at least a TM field move like Flash or Dig.

No, you're not understanding. I don't want to see Defog back because I don't think fog should come back at all. Adding an obstacle that nerfs your team's accuracy in every single battle on the route is one of the dumbest additions to the Pokemon series ever.

No, you're not understanding. I don't want to see Defog back because I don't think fog should come back at all. Adding an obstacle that nerfs your team's accuracy in every single battle on the route is one of the dumbest additions to the Pokemon series ever.

It is annoying, but Flash basically did the same thing lowered accuracy. Then again it only lowered one pokemon's accuracy.

It is annoying, but Flash basically did the same thing lowered accuracy. Then again it only lowered one pokemon's accuracy.

Not quite. Flash was a move that lowered accuracy that made it easier to see in dark caves in the overworld. Defog lowers evasion as a move (among other things) in battle and clears fog in the overworld.

Fog, the overworld/in battle weather condition is what lowers accuracy during the entire battle if not cleared. It is annoying for basically dragging battles on due to making your moves miss too much as well as serving almost no benefit in battle.

Rusturf Tunnel is only necessary for the Blackglasses and Strength. Its not too much of a necessary area for Defog to not be usable in. If it was a larger route like the ash routes, I wouldn't like it.

I was just talking with someone on Serebii about what they'd do with Victory Road, and this person suggested a redesign. I actually think this would be something they might do considering that several of the recent Victory Roads (BW2 and XY most notably) play to the "Road" part of Victory Road by making it a long path that weaves through different environments as opposed to another generic cave. Since Evergrande Island is a very grassy, flowery area, the new outdoor section would probably also be grassy and flowery, maybe somewhat mountainous with a river running through it (which could then serve as a replacement for B2F in the original, which also had a river section). Probably along the lines of the first outdoor section in BW2's Victory Road.

They'll probably also feature a different distribution of Pokemon for this section as well. Instead of having regular cave Pokemon, they'll probably have stuff like Roselia, Gloom, Altaria, Nuzleaf/Lombre, Azumarill, Swellow, maybe even Zangoose/Seviper.

Not quite. Flash was a move that lowered accuracy that made it easier to see in dark caves in the overworld. Defog lowers evasion as a move (among other things) in battle and clears fog in the overworld.

Fog, the overworld/in battle weather condition is what lowers accuracy during the entire battle if not cleared. It is annoying for basically dragging battles on due to making your moves miss too much as well as serving almost no benefit in battle.

You pretty much just explained what I said in a much more detailed way, but it's probably how I worded my sentence. I apologize if it was confusing XP

You pretty much just explained what I said in a much more detailed way, but it's probably how I worded my sentence. I apologize if it was confusing XP

Oh, really? You kind of made it seem like you were talking about Defog, not Fog.

Guys, this is a discussion about the Hoenn region, not an argument on how fucked up Defog and Flash are...

Getting back on topic...

I agree with most of the stuff said above, most personally with the Fortree City idea. I'd also like to see the Space Center get a little upgrade. It felt more like a research facility rather than a place where you would launch rockets. There's probably more things, but since I'm really stupid and I can't remember everything at this specific moment, I have nothing else. I'll add things later.

I was just talking with someone on Serebii about what they'd do with Victory Road, and this person suggested a redesign. I actually think this would be something they might do considering that several of the recent Victory Roads (BW2 and XY most notably) play to the "Road" part of Victory Road by making it a long path that weaves through different environments as opposed to another generic cave. Since Evergrande Island is a very grassy, flowery area, the new outdoor section would probably also be grassy and flowery, maybe somewhat mountainous with a river running through it (which could then serve as a replacement for B2F in the original, which also had a river section). Probably along the lines of the first outdoor section in BW2's Victory Road.

They'll probably also feature a different distribution of Pokemon for this section as well. Instead of having regular cave Pokemon, they'll probably have stuff like Roselia, Gloom, Altaria, Nuzleaf/Lombre, Azumarill, Swellow, maybe even Zangoose/Seviper.
I was thinking maybe if its Evergrande City, the Victory Road could be a main path that weaves through a dense, good sized city, weaving in between alley ways and what not.

Since Evergrande Island is a very grassy, flowery area, the new outdoor section would probably also be grassy and flowery, maybe somewhat mountainous with a river running through it (which could then serve as a replacement for B2F in the original, which also had a river section).

Not to mention that we visit a very small part of the visible island. I mean, it looks A LOT bigger on the Hoenn map, but we just visit this small area. So, yeah, they could definitely extend the Victory Road and add some more accessible places around Ever grande.

Last edited:
Since Evergrande Island is a very grassy, flowery area, the new outdoor section would probably also be grassy and flowery, maybe somewhat mountainous with a river running through it (which could then serve as a replacement for B2F in the original, which also had a river section).

Not to mention that we visit a very small part of the visible island. I mean, it looks A LOT bigger on the Hoenn map, but we just visit this small area. So, yeah, they could definitely extend the Victory Road and add some more accessible places around Ever grande.

Well, the southeast part of the island is inaccessible, but that's too far out of the way to be part of Victory Road. It's probably going to be a new route.

Back
Top Bottom