• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Hoenn Region

It's looks like a thunder storm with those lightnings and black clouds.

Well here's something interesting:

Map of Hoenn.jpg

View attachment 95964

THAT was definitely not there before. And I doubt it's just a Secret Base marking. I'm fairly certain it's a tunnel, it's too defined to be a random formation

But that does raise some questions, first of all, where does it lead to? And when will it be accessible? And is it an entrance or an exit?

So, I'm just gonna try to answer these questions, though obviously they're all complete speculation

It will definitely lead to some sort of cave/tunnel system, cause it's an opening in a rock and all

And I also think it could be only accessible post-game, as it's a bit higher up and out of the way. And of course, there are a lot of optional places that can be explored during main game, but it would be a way for GF to put some more Pokémon in the game for the National Dex without resorting to all kinds of gimmicky methods

And what I meant with 'is it an entrance or exit' is the following: when you first access the caves beyond this opening, there will be some sort of entrance. But what if this is the exit, the place you arrive after first crossing the cave system? So that would place the 'entrance' somewhere else. Maybe in Sootopolis? On the other hand, everything around the opening seems rather bare and why would you be led to a mostly empty space? (ok, well, that happens to, but that's mostly special items/pokémon)

So I'm guessing it's a post-game dungeon, giving access to Pokémon normally not found in Hoenn

Alternatively, it could be a place tying on to the plot somehow, but there's already the Cave of Origins as well, and I don't think they moved that... (though I don't see the entrance in Sootopolis, but it might be behind a building or something)

View attachment 95964

THAT was definitely not there before. And I doubt it's just a Secret Base marking. I'm fairly certain it's a tunnel, it's too defined to be a random formation

But that does raise some questions, first of all, where does it lead to? And when will it be accessible? And is it an entrance or an exit?

So, I'm just gonna try to answer these questions, though obviously they're all complete speculation

It will definitely lead to some sort of cave/tunnel system, cause it's an opening in a rock and all

And I also think it could be only accessible post-game, as it's a bit higher up and out of the way. And of course, there are a lot of optional places that can be explored during main game, but it would be a way for GF to put some more Pokémon in the game for the National Dex without resorting to all kinds of gimmicky methods

And what I meant with 'is it an entrance or exit' is the following: when you first access the caves beyond this opening, there will be some sort of entrance. But what if this is the exit, the place you arrive after first crossing the cave system? So that would place the 'entrance' somewhere else. Maybe in Sootopolis? On the other hand, everything around the opening seems rather bare and why would you be led to a mostly empty space? (ok, well, that happens to, but that's mostly special items/pokémon)

So I'm guessing it's a post-game dungeon, giving access to Pokémon normally not found in Hoenn

Alternatively, it could be a place tying on to the plot somehow, but there's already the Cave of Origins as well, and I don't think they moved that... (though I don't see the entrance in Sootopolis, but it might be behind a building or something)

I would've thought it would tie into the storyline, but it could be a post game area as well.

As for whether or not it's an entrance or exit, it's probably an exit because it looks too high up to be accessible. I don't think it's a tunnel though, it's probably a cave that you access underwater or something.

View attachment 95964

I would've thought it would tie into the storyline, but it could be a post game area as well.

As for whether or not it's an entrance or exit, it's probably an exit because it looks too high up to be accessible. I don't think it's a tunnel though, it's probably a cave that you access underwater or something.

good point. might be indeed it ties into the storyline and leads from Sootopolis/Cave of Origins to that platform (maybe to give more space to Primal Kyogre/Groudon or something)

and I used cave and tunnel interchangeably, in both cases meaning 'some kind of space underground', but yeah I doubt it's a traditional/man-made tunnel

but if it ties in to the storyline, still no reason it couldn't be post-game area as well, cause there's a large rock formation behind it, which definitely could harbour some caves

No I think that's lava pouring down the sides

There is only one volcano in Hoenn and it's Mt.Chimney.

(stoopolis is a volcano and inactve one but its a volcano that filled with rain water) And what stops them from adding another? (also its assumed in ruby the spot you find groudon is an under water volcano)

This might sound noobish, but I'm quite stoked to go through Hoenn at night. It wasn't possible in the original games, so it'll be great here. The day/night system is one of my favourite things about this series, and how it adds a lot of realism to the feel of the games. I can't wait to see how this reflects upon Hoenn, which is the only region to not get that treatment until now.

It may have been mentioned before, but here is a zoom-in of Mauville City. It looks very different. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwYUuoRIEAA_ZoH.png

EDIT:

I skipped a page back. And from the screenshot zoom of Sootopolis, it looks like it has bridges across the lake inside the crater now! Interesting. Anybody notice the little green island off the south west? There's a dark water patch near there, which could mean a new diving spot. It doesn't ring a bell for me. And as for that cave, that doesn't either. It looks like it could be a cave or tunnel, as Secret Base holes would be too small to show on a map, wouldn't they?

Ahhh, I'm adoring how much Hoenn is changing.

Last edited:
I skipped a page back. And from the screenshot zoom of Sootopolis, it looks like it has bridges across the lake inside the crater now! Interesting.

That doesn't surprise me. They probably did that so you don't need Surf to get around the city.

Anybody notice the little green island off the south west? There's a dark water patch near there, which could mean a new diving spot. It doesn't ring a bell for me.

That dive spot was there before, but the island wasn't. It's probably nothing special though, maybe they'll put an item there or something.

That doesn't surprise me. They probably did that so you don't need Surf to get around the city.

Makes sense, given that Surf was needed to go everywhere, which was a pain.

Looking closely, Sootopolis has changed quite a lot. There's greenery in the eastern area there, and a huge building that at first I thought was the gym isn't - as that's on an island in the south of the crater. Maybe the large building is some kind of shrine to Kyogre & Groudon? Or some kind of entryway to the Cave Of Origin?

Makes sense, given that Surf was needed to go everywhere, which was a pain.

Looking closely, Sootopolis has changed quite a lot. There's greenery in the eastern area there, and a huge building that at first I thought was the gym isn't - as that's on an island in the south of the crater. Maybe the large building is some kind of shrine to Kyogre & Groudon? Or some kind of entryway to the Cave Of Origin?

I can't seem to find the cave of origin inside of it, might just be to small though.

Other than the added locations like the cave next to Sootopolis, the other basin that looks like you need dive to enter, and whatever's going on on the couple islands east of Pacificlog on what looks like Route 129, I don't think we should be basing town/city changes off of what is hectically concept art. The old map even makes it look like Sootopolis had docks/bridges too. Well...if you squint anyway since everything's scribbly and pushed together.

As for the "lightning"/"Yellow lava volcano"...it might just be a style choice considering there's a glowing primal Kyorge design in the water. Maybe it's just Primal Rayquaza.

Wait, how did sootopolis get so clear, was there a bigger image posted of the Hoenn map?

Oh my. Now that's much better, gives a good insight on the region.
-Ever Grande is still just a cave, in fact it looks blander then the original.
-Bigger Berry Farm, which was obviously going to happen.
-Devon Corp having an actual factory behind the building is a nice touch. I mean if they make stuff, we should be able to see where.
-There isn't a route between Meteor Falls and Lavaridge, however Rusturf Tunnel is definitely expanded. There's a cave entrance south of Lavaridge, which looks like it could be connected to rusturf, or for some reason the Fiery Path connects to Lavaridge.
-Meteor Falls, still can't tell if its all interior, or there are some exterior bits.
-That abandoned Ship design, my god. Love how big it is now.
-What the hell is going on with Mauville? My gut is telling me that its enitrely walled in, with it being one huge Joint Avenue. I mean, that's what the place looks like. Really hope its the case, they can do something amazing with a city like that.
-The cave next to Sootopolis could be the final dungeon, story wise. Maybe the Cave of Origins is just a ceremonial place now or something? I mean the ornamental gate is now much bigger for it.
-I love how big that launch pad is. If they make it as big as the sundial or even bigger in game, I'll be impressed.
-Same thing with Mt Pyre. It should be an absolute joy to climb.
-

They seem to have reduced the surfing area around Sootopolis. Not a huge deal, but it was one of the largest open areas we've had in a Pokemon game, so that's a shame.

http://i.imgur.com/bsie6mV.jpg

If you notice the "lightning volcano" or whatever people are calling it; on its left there is what appears to be a trail of the dark haze that the "volcano" produces.

Thats an island or a meteor.

SDqjdqJ.png

What's stopping us surfing from that beach? There's nothing blocking us from what we can see.

Back
Top Bottom