• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The "If Pokémon Were Real" Thread

If Pokemon did turn out to be real, then school would change completely. We wouldn't learn about the history of war or any mind-dulling stuff, science wouldn't be filled with atoms and electricity, the lessons would be focused on Pokemon. PE would remain relatively the same except in the fact that some activities might involve Pokemon such as battling. We'd learn about how Pokemon came to be, what they are exactly, the different species, the type chart, how to be strategic in battle and maybe even some background info such as where they live or what they eat. Libraries would be filled with research on these creatures and instead of playing soccer with just you and a couple of friends, it could even be expanded into teams mixed with people and Pokemon. The world would be filled with aspiring hotshots each with different strategies and you'd probably get challenged almost everywhere imaginable. Caves contain rarer Pokemon, Pidgeys and Hoothoots would be flocking in the sky and no one would ever care about computers or electronics since they're too busy training/exploring.

As for what I would do, I wouldn't want to hang around school. Sure it might be interesting learning about evolution and myths but I'd rather find out the stuff for myself instead of looking at a three-hundred page textbook. I'd probably go catch a wild Pokemon in the area north of my town, train it up and then quietly sneak out of the house with a backpack, food and nothing more. I don't imagine parents being too thrilled at the idea of their child wandering out into the wilderness with just a small animal to protect them. I'd leave a note though in case they sent police officers after me or something. :p

As for what I'd catch, I'd probably go hunting around for some canine Pokemon or tough-looking ones. I'd need all the protection I could get out there with pickpockets using small Pokemon to aid them. I'd also probably catch a few flying types and generally friendly Pokemon. I definitely wouldn't keep all of my Pokemon shut in their Pokeballs though, I'd let them trail after me. As for how I would get food, I could probably buy something from nearby villages or just go scavenging in the bush for berries. If fishing is allowed, then maybe even a fried Magikarp or two. I'd also probably catch a Meowth just so it can use Pay Day and shower me in money. Life is good, huh? :]

The next thing I'd do is stock up on necessary supplies, constantly fight trainers to get some more experience and then take on the gym leader challenge around the region. After I've finished with that, I don't think I'd go for champion. I probably couldn't handle such a responsibility and being showered with reporters isn't my cup of tea. Just being a good trainer who can keep calm in all sorts of situations is enough thanks. I'd then probably visit other regions to see what they offer, I'd get the most out of life. Then I'd help stop evil sorts of organizations and while that might prove to be difficult, it's good knowing I'm trying to make the world a better place. After all of those events, I'd just settle for living in a forest or a small village. I'd rather be around nature than fumes and buses. Overall there's a load of things I'd do, but these are a few of them. Being the very best? No thanks. Good is already nearly enough.

Well, I don't know about the school thing. History would obviously be different since many events would have been different with pokémon, like wars, or even just famous trainers and such. PE would be about the same, I agree. Science would be the same, in my opinion. Even if the world had Pokémon in it, electricity, atoms, gravity, and all that still exist. In fact, I'd think a trainer would need to know about physics and chemistry since that plays a big role in battles.

As to kids battling on the playground, I don't know if kids would even have Pokémon to begin with. Unless they got pokémon of their own when they were very young and were still required to stay in school... otherwise they could just get them when they were older. I don't think that schools would allow pokémon battles on the playground or even pokémon in the school premises. Kids aren't known for their responsibility. Maybe they would have some kind of special space, like a gym, where kids could go and train their pokémon in a controlled environment.

In a world more realistic than the anime, kids would be required to stay in school and wouldn't be allowed to become pokémon trainers when they were only 10 years old or to drop out of school. To use real world logic, as fields like science evolve, people have a better life and it's less acceptable to make your kids get jobs or anything when they're that young. I'd even think that technology would be more advanced because things like electricity would have been discovered earlier (plus look at the technology required to make pokéballs). While some pokémon seem to be tied to human activities, electricity existed even before it was discovered so Pikachus and others would have existed before too... and naturally, people would have studied them.

Ok, all fantasies aside where we become league champ, whip everyone around, and are more epic than either Ash or Red, I think my life in a pokemon world would be close to the same as it is now, though I would actually more than likely have a decent career as a pokemon trainer. If given the choice as a 13 year old child, given the starters I had to choose from, I would like choose either Charmander, Totodile, or treecko. I wouldn't overlook a Squirtle or Bulbasaur either, but this is because I am a huge reptile lover and would want to have every single reptile pokemon I could find. This would probably bother my Fiancee, who dislikes snakes in particular and wouldn't want me owning either Ekans, Arbok, or Seviper due to their species, and most likely Onix and Steelix for similar reasons considering that Onix is depicted as a Rock Snake pokemon. My reptilian preferences aside, I would work hard and try to catch as many pokemon as I could within reason, and do my best to train each and every one of them. I would most definitely do anything I can to catch a Scyther then raise it into a beautiful and skilled Scizor, as that is my favorite pokemon. Over all I wouldn't worry so much about the legendary pokemon simply because I know with my luck I'd never even see one, let alone attempt to catch it. I would travel as best I could to compete in leagues, and if I win thats great, if I lose oh well, we tried and thats what matters. I would shoot for becoming a Gym Leader to be my main goal, as the salary provided by the pokemon league is undoubtedly close to the same pay as a government paying job, meaning benefits, decent money, some renown worth mentioning, and being able to help young trainers become stronger every day. My Gym would most likely be a multi-type Gym, specializing in both Type Advantage and status effect battling. If possible, my standard rotation would be as follows: Scizor for high defense and attack with decent agility and immunity to poison types, Feraligatr for my water type and as a general tank to keep fire types from wasting my other types that are weak against it, Charizard for its flying and fire types which could be majorly useful in battle against grass types and Bug Types that could be a potential issue for my water type, Sceptile would round out my Fire/Water/Grass trio and also fill the role of my defense against rock and ground types, Arbok would be a great addition to my team for both it's ability to use poison and paralysis effects both of which I will use to test every single trainer, and Finally Haunter to not only handle sleep effects but to also round out my team to allow it to battle psychic types. Though the rotation does have it's weak points, it would be an ideal gym for level 45 or lower pokemon to test themselves, and would put trainers through their paces, as they face every single type of status effect facing this team, though it would require that my Feraligatr know Ice type moves in order to inflict Freeze status ailments. This would make me enough money to raise a family, and overall would be a career in the pokemon world I would deeply enjoy. Thus in a pokemon world, I think that despite the hardships I have endured in my life, having my pokemon by my side through it all would make me a better person.

Well, if Pokemon were real, I'm pretty sure our lives will be radically different from what we are used to. So many of aspects of our lives will be different in obvious and very subtle ways. I'll start with the most obvious: [This is the sparknotes version of what I have in mind]

Pokemon Journey: While I'm sure that the age to raise Pokemon would be higher than 10, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of high schoolers will go out to Pokemon journeys and get Pokemon badges. As usual, the starters will be always hard to choose for each individual but overall, there would be a good number not being in high school, at least right away.

Given the number of Pokemon trainers that will be going on journeys, there would be lots of gyms instead of the usual 8 gyms per generation. The trainers would be required to defeat a certain amount of gym leaders in the region to qualify for the Pokemon league. I'm sure as time goes on, qualifying for the Pokemon league would be more and more difficult. Of course, I'm pretty sure most of the trainers would just go on a journey for the sake of going on a journey.

Non-trainers: For the vast majority of the population, they are or will be keeping Pokemon as pets. However, they will also be using Pokemon to run their day to day lives. For example, I'm pretty sure that a majority of fire Pokemon would be great to keep the house warm, electric Pokemon for electricity, water Pokemon for main source of water and so forth. It'll get to the point that having a Pokemon will be required.

Politics and Government: At least in relativity civilized parts of the world, there would be public policies that would deal with the interaction of Pokemon and humans. I would have to say that laws protecting Pokemon would be more protective than what we have for animals right now. Of course, the issue if Pokemon have human rights would need to be addressed, especially with the large diversity of Pokemon and abilities that they have.

Resources: This is where one of the most interesting aspects of society that will be radically different and is hard to pinpoint what it would be like. However, we do know that resources is [virtually] unlimited now that we have Pokemon and that many of the resources problems will not be as big as a problem as they are right now for us without Pokemon. I can imagine a world without too many big problems with high amounts of water and electricity.

Science and Technology: I'm pretty sure we would be much more advanced than we are right now. I really don't know how I can put this in a concise manners without getting into too much details but all I can say is that the field of biology, especially at the molecular and ecological level would be far more interesting [so that more people would be engaged] and more advanced that it is right now. I can imagine that Pokemon helping humans by just assisting them in research and being subjects of both ethical and unethical research.

Overall, if Pokemon were real, we would be living in a much different world. Certainly the world will be more different than just school age kids going on Pokemon journeys. We have solved most of the world's problems with Pokemon, but at the same time, we would have to deal with other problems that are more than what just the game presents.

Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense and would be more than happy to clarify of aspects that I posted that weren't cleared. It's just hard to put "how the world be different with Pokemon" all in one posts and in a concise manner.

Re: The "If Pokemon Were Real" thread

If they were real, I'd probably just have some as pets. I'm much too lazy to go out and travel with them. I don't think I'd be able to survive without things like TV, music, internet (ESPECIALLY internet!), and games long enough to do so. Maybe I'd be able to take really small, week long trips, but I definitely would not be able to do more than that.

So, yeah. I'd probably keep some as pets and just take care of them that way so I don't need to leave all my electronics for a long period of time. I would however have some PokeBalls so I can have more than say three Pokemon at a time as pets without them taking up too much space in my house. That'd be convenient. I'd have three out at once or something. I wouldn't be able to choose only three, and choosing more than that without PokeBalls would take up so much space. :|

I think I've figured out what my Pokemon life would look like.

I grew up in Eterna City, and go to school normally without starting any journey. Throughout high school I had a part-time job working at the herb shop. After graduating, Gardenia (who was my mom's friend!) offered me an apprenticeship in her gym. Since I didn't have a Pokemon, she gave me an egg that contained a Budew- the female offspring of her Roserade. I named her Rosie. I'd become friends with Jenna, Angela, and Caroline (three of the DP gym trainers), and though Lindsay (the other trainer) and I would have serious conflicts at first, we'd soon resolve our differences and become best friends. As part of my apprenticeship, I spent a lot of time working like a forest ranger in Eterna Forest. In the forest I evolved my Budew into a Roselia, and met a Seedot (nicknamed Whistle) that I soon evolved into a Nuzleaf, and then a Shiftry.

Soon, Gardenia was to retire, and had to pick one of us apprentices to become the next gym leader. Unfortunately, Angela got the job as gym leader. As a consolation, Gardenia gave me a shiny stone to evolve my growing Roselia into a Roserade. Though I could've stayed at the gym if I wanted, I couldn't see any reason to stay. Lindsay had already left the gym to Kalos, and there was a lot of drama going on between Jenna, Angela, and Caroline that made working there very uncomfortable. So, I decided to abandon the shrinking Eterna City to Jubilife in search of decent work. However, it was for nothing. I didn't have any experience working in places like the Poketch Company and the GTS, so I got stuck working for almost minimum wage in a small drug store.

In my spare time, I brought Rosie and Whistle behind the condominiums for some intense training. I hadn't forgotten my dream to become a gym leader quite yet. However, I didn't know how I would find the time to begin collecting badges- after all, I was growing older fast, and I had very little savings to tap into for a journey. I began looking for more ways to earn extra cash, and did odd jobs whenever I wasn't working at the store or training. During this time, I befriended a Sunkern behind the condominiums. I nicknamed her Sunny, and she jumped enthusiastically into our strict training regimen. Eventually she grew into a gorgeous Sunflora. Often people on the streets would stop and compliment her when she walked besides me. Even though I was very proud of her intense natural beauty, though, she couldn't quite reach the level of Rosie and Whistle.

One day I came across another money making opportunity- there was a huge Pokemon contest being held over the span of a week, with gigantic cash prizes for first, second, and third place. I decided to enter Sunny in the competition. I did some one-on-one training with Sunny as much as possible for the six days beforehand, and hoped that her natural gifts would make up for my lack of coordinating skills. Unfortunately, it didn't. Sunny got nervous and fumbled a lot, I mixed up commands, and our entire performance was an embarrassingly terrible mess. However, watching all of the other coordinators did teach me the fundamentals of Pokemon coordinating that I lacked. I considered contests to be a viable way to finally get the money I needed to fulfill my dreams.

Soon, I got word of a small-scale contest being held in Canalave City. I weighed the risks and finally decided to spend the money to enter Sunny and stay in the local Pokemon Center. Despite how hard I'd worked, I still lost. It turned out to be for my benefit though, because a nice man my age who called himself Lucas introduced himself to me after we both lost in the second round. I explained to him my situation, and he reminded me that there was a Pokemon gym in Canalave- the steel-type gym. They were between leaders after the passing of previous leader Byron, so when I went there seeking a challenge, I fought each of the three apprentices (since none of them seemed to be able to decide who was going to become leader quite yet). To my surprise, I lost one and won two, so they granted me that gym's badge: the mine badge! I was overjoyed, and so were my Pokemon.

It was to be two months before another contest would be held in either Canalave or Jubilife, and my money-making opportunities seemed to be shrinking as time rushed on. I gave up. I called my parents and asked them if I could move back into Eterna City with them for a while. They were happy to accept their daughter back home. On my way there, near Floaroma Town, I ran into a particularly powerful Lotad. It took some grinding from Rosie, and a decent amount of money spent on Pokeballs, but soon, I captured him. I named him Colada. For a while he was disobedient, but I was patient him. He warmed up to me and started working alongside the team.

I arrived at Eterna again. I challenged the gym, and Angela had barely improved at all from when she's taken over. In other words, I got my second badge: the forest badge.

Life had gotten quiet. The nice, elderly couple that had owned the herb shop had unfortunately passed while I was gone. Their son had taken over, who had no interest in hiring any more help. The gym didn't need any help either. I turned my eyes to the cycle shop instead.

Before I had left for Jubilife, I'd never paid any attention to the cycle shop. It'd been run by a senile old man who charged a million dollars for a bicycle. In other words, it never got any business. However, upon my return, I found that a new owner had taken the shop over- a sane one that set reasonable prices for the merchandise. At first, for me, that meant a possibility for a job. But soon, I realized that it would be possible for me to buy a bike to aid in travelling across Sinnoh and collect badges. I got a full-time job in the shop, and began saving up for a bicycle so me and my Pokemon could accomplish our dreams...

_________

or something like that

Well I'd probably live in Icirrus City with my family. My dad would work helping fix trainer's bikes, as well as machines around the area. My mum would help counsel young trainers about Pokemon, as well as personal issues as well. My sister would work at a Pokemon Center as a Nurse Joy with a Chansey, and would come to visit during holidays.

Myself I'd probably wouldn't want to go out and become a Pokemon trainer. I'd have a Mareep with me since I was a kid, and obtain a Swadloon after high school. From there, I'd probably move to Virbank City to try and become a Pokemon Actress. I'd work part time at a coffee shop, and from there get acting roles at Pokestar Studios staring alongside my Pokemon.

Again, this is the best 'what-if' scenario. It would be awesome if Pokemon were real, but I'm still happy to play my games.

Re: The "If Pokemon Were Real" thread

If pokémon were real, I would most likely have them as pets and try to befriend them instead of battling and catching.

If Pokemon were real, I would have an army of absols, and i would use them to take over the world. No one would be able to stand against my absols.

Alakazam or Metagross would overthrow the human race and leave us in the wild while they take over the planet.I doubt they would enslave us since they dont need any physical labor to build their monuments since Telekinesis is a builder's dream power.Actually I think they would colonize every planet in the Solar System or get bored of Earth and leave it like any advance civilization and spread their race through the cosmos.I think the world might end up being destroyed since there would be a war between supercomputer smart lifeforms for dominance of the Earth.If you think thats bad Dragonite are smart as people too and STRONGER than us so it shouldnt take them much time to establish a civilization.Also most psychic type pokemon seem to be smarter than the average human.

hmmmmm i would catch 6 magikarp hop on to a bridge that every trainer has to across and challenge trainers who walks by

I'd use Dragonite and fly around on him, his wings can expand to a reasonable size when flying. I would try to find all my favorite Pokemon. I'd probably get an Alakazam and have him do his dishes for me, have him go to school for me and then have him somehow move the information that he learned into my mind. I'd have him sort my laundry and do my homework. The world would be a better place with Pokemon...

OOOOH, this will be fun!

For starters, as I'm blind, I would have a Riolu for a guide dog, because they'd be extremely reliable for such a purpose. And when she evolves into Lucario she'll also be able to communicate with me telepathically and defend me against the fiends in this world who might take advantage of me!

I'd also have a Meganium, a Ninetales, a Lapras which I taught to speak human, a Xatu and an Eevee, which I would spoil outrageously until it learned a Fairy type move and evolved into Sylveon. :D

And I think my mum would have a Gardevoir that's as protective as she is, and when she has an egg, she'd give it to me so I could raise the Ralts (My Lucario doesn't technically count as one of my team because she's a helper assigned to me since I was little :D).

I'd probably have others I'd keep at home and shuffle my team around every now and again for some variety. I'd want a Blaziken, a Delphox, an Absol, a Milotic, a Togekiss, an Altaria, an Ampharos, a Miltank and a Blissey. I'd drink Miltank milk all the time and eat Blissey eggs for breakfast so I'd be extremely healthy. :D I'd also have a Jynx, a Luxray, a Zoroark, a Froslass, a Roserade and tons more. I like a lot of Pokemon, obviously.

If I encountered any legendaries, I'd like to meet Mew, Celebi, Ho-Oh, Cresselia, Manaphy, Lugia and/or Shaymin, 'cause they're all awesome, but I wouldn't want to capture them. I'd like to play with Mew for a bit though.

Looking at the bigger picture, there would be some major shifts in the world if Pokemon was real. There would be potential for a lot of destruction, but all the Shaymin could absorb all the toxins and rejuvinate the lost forests, or make new ones where some of the deserts are, with the help of Celebi and some more ordinary Water and Grass types. Chansey, Blissey and Audino would be in human hospitals as well as Pokemon Centres and would use their healing abilities to save lots of people. In addition, berries (which I believe would work on people as well as Pokemon) could be used to heal burns, poison, paralysis (and not always the kind inflicted by Electric attacks or Stun Spore), and other things that would be more common hazards in a world with Pokemon in it. Air travel would be much cheaper, because you could fly around using Pokemon (although I wouldn't like that very much. I don't have a head for heights). Electricity would be cheap as well, because there are Pokemon who can power everything. There might be some unscrupulous people who would abuse such Pokemon, but most would be responsible caretakers and make sure the Electric types took shifts and were well-fed and looked after. Fires would be much less dangerous because of the Water types employed by the various fire departments. I'd also not mind much if we had tons of Officer Jennys instead of the usual police force. They seem like competent women and overall upholders of justice, and we need that kind of authority to look up to.

A bit idealistic, I know, but I'm an optimistic sort of person.

Last edited:
I would only own a Goomy and a Slurpuff, train and love/befriend the crap out of them, and stand in some inopportune spot on some route in some region sporting a goofy expression, akin to the aforementioned Pokemon, challenging any trainer who should wander by.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom