1. Interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff? See details here.
  2. Updated #2: The forums are going to be down Tomorrow (23rd of January) in the morning (JST) for maintenance as we upgrade the software to XenForo 2. Particularly of note is that blogs are going to be removed for the time being, but we are getting a lot of new features with the upgrade.

For more details, see this thread.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by Wiilio, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Leighton

Leighton Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for you’re help! I’m sorry this is so late, I was camping this weekend and had no access to service, except for a few random moments. I’ll definitely look into them, those were all on my list of potential pokémon.

2. Leighton

Leighton Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so much for your detailed response! I’m very grateful for the detail you put into your post. I’m sorry this post is a bit late, I was camping this weekend and had random access to service. It’s both a perk and a blessing for leaving civilization for a few days.

I’m very interested in the team you assembled, and the reasoning behind each one of deductive and sound. The Pokémon you have recommended have met all of the criteria perfectly. I’ll probably go with this set, even though I’ve never used Torchic as a starter. I’m eager to test him out!

Thanks once more for your time, I’m sure you spent quite a while typing that all out!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    CynthiaLover likes this.
  3. CynthiaLover

CynthiaLover Geek of the Games

Blog Posts:
    Okay, I'll be starting up yet another run through White again, since I've recently shifted into retro gaming mode. This time I did some planning ahead and wanted to experiment a bit this time around, so I've mapped out a team already. I know that, until certain HMs and badges are won, I can't access some of these guys right away, so they will have placeholders until then. But I wanted to see if this setup is good or needs tweaking. And I do have one ground rule: no competitive play ideas. Which means no breeding, no Egg Moves, and no EV/IV stuff. This is just a fun-run and nothing more, but I want to mix things up a bit this time around. Recommended natures are okay, but since this will be a catch-and-use style, I can't guarantee anything. Okay, without further ado, here's my mapped-out team.

1) Emboar (Ability: Blaze, Moves: Brick Break/Rock Slide/Heat Crash/Bulk Up, Possible item: Muscle Band)
    2) Gigalith (Ability: Sturdy, Moves: Rock Slide/Strength/Rock Blast/Earthquake, Possible item: Wide Lens)
    3) Reuniclus (Ability: Magic Guard, Moves: Psychic/Recover/Flash Cannon/Shadow Ball, Possible item: Wise Glasses)
    4) Jellicent (Ability: Water Absorb, Moves: Surf/Will-O-Wisp/Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb, Possible item: Leftovers)
    5) Galvantula (Ability: Compound Eyes, Moves: Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz/Energy Ball/Volt Switch, Possible item: Expert Belt)
    6) Haxorus (Ability: Mold Breaker, Moves: Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw/Shadow Claw/Brick Break, Possible item: King's Rock)

Okay, this is what I've got. Suggestions are fine, as I know there is room for improvement, but please try to limit ideas like recoil moves and other "competitive" stuff, as I don't like those ideas much in a fun-run. Item recommendations are fine, too, as I have access to all items and TMs. And you can recommend a different teammate if you'd feel it would work better than one of the above listed Mons (with at least a detailed reason why), but be fully prepared for a possible "no" if I don't like the idea, especially since I'm experimenting with new ideas here and there, again simply for fun.

Well, that about covers it. Thanks in advance to whoever responds.

4. Rockapheller

Rockapheller Trainer since late 90's

Blog Posts:
    I need some advices for my team in HeartGold. I've made a list of the Pokémon I could potentially catch. Some advices to let me choose some would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

My rules:
    Only Gen II Pokémon
    My main focus is the Elite 4 and the League.

Also that's not a rule, but I traditionally have the regional bird on my team in the league (Pidgeot, Noctowl, Swellow etc.). But if you claim that Noctowl would be only waste of space, I could reconsider it.

5. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:

This setup is pretty solid. However I'd omit Sudowoodo, otherwise you'll have three Mons with a Grass weakness. Plus Sudo isn't that great overall, as it's fairly lackluster and underwhelming. And Swinub might have to be omitted due to Piloswine being only so-so (unless you do decide to go for Mamoswine, then he can stick around, but since Mamoswine is a Gen IV Mon, that might clash with your rule, so it's your call). But other than that, you've got a good selection of types and very flexible strategies with the rest of the batch.

I also know where you can find both Heracross and an underleveled Noctowl early, so that'll help fill up gaps quicker. Heracross can be found in Azela Town. Headbutt the southern trees in between Slowpoke Well and the PokeMart (there should be a set of three, if memory serves, and they'll be just above and to the right of the Charcoal house). One of those three has a very good chance of finding Heracross (I think it's the middle one, but I'd have to double-check), so once you get Headbutt, return to Azela Town and start smacking. As for Noctowl, Headbutt some of the trees near the pond in Ilex Forest, before you meet the second Kimono Girl (just northwest of the Move Tutor). It may take a bit of patience, since it has a low encounter rate, but you can find underleveled Noctowls in some of those trees, and you don't need to wait for night to find it, so it can cut down on the time searching and grinding. You'll know you found the right tree if you find things like Beedrill and Butterfree in said tree, since Noctowl tend to hang out with them, so just be persistent.

That's about all I can give right now, so I hope this helps.

EDIT: @Rockapheller I have to correct myself. You can find Heracross in the trees to the right and back of the Pokemon Center in Azalea Town, not the original place I mentioned. That place was where you could find them back in Gen II, but they've since moved from that spot, as I just checked myself. Be warned, they'll be pretty low-leveled, at most Lv5, but they have a 30% encounter rate, so it shouldn't be too hard. As for Noctowl, while the place I mentioned is correct, I also have to add an extra tip. While I said Beedrill/Butterfree hang out with it, Pineco also do, so if you find Pineco, then you're good to go, as Beedrill/Butterfree are also fairly rare. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Rockapheller likes this.
  6. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    Playing through Platinum for the first time (and my first ever play through of a main series game) and I'm having problems with which Pokémon to use in my last team slot. Moveset improvement suggestions would also be appreciated. I've just reached Hearthrome city.

Permanent Members
    Monferno (Level 30)
    -serious nature
    -good perseverance and happily eats anything
    Moveset- Fury Swipes, Mach Punch, Flame Wheel and Taunt

Staravia (level 23)
    -Relaxed nature
    -Good endurance, likes sour food
    -Ability Intimidate
    Moveset: Tackle, Pluck, Quick Attack, Wing Attack

Buizel (Level 24)
    -mild nature
    -likes to run, likes dry food
    -Ability swift swim
    Moveset: Aqua Jet, Quick Attack, Water, Gun, Persuit

Luxio (Level 21)
    -Brave nature
    -very finicky, likes spicy food
    - Ability Rivalry
    - Moveset: Flash, Spark, Tackle, Bite

Permanent Members end here.

Extras/Supporting Pokemon
    -HM Slave Bibarel with Water Gun, Cut, Rock Smash and a Move I forgot
    -Cynthia's Togepi
    - Ghastly
    - Chingling
    - Gible

I'd like suggestions on my sixth team member and any Moveset changes which might help. I'm also new to maintaining HM thing so I'd appreciate some advice on that, too.

7. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:
    Well, for starters, Gible is a good long-term partner to use. He's a bit slow to grow (as are all pseudo families), but he'll serve you well as a Garchomp. If you have the TM for Earthquake (you should've gotten it around the time you found Gible), then give it to Gible for a massively powerful attack + STAB, as the Gible line is probably the best line in the entire game that can maximize Earthquake's potency (Torterra is, obviously, the only other one, but since you started with Chimchar, that's not important). And if you need Garchomp to play some HM roles, it can learn Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, and Rock Climb, the last one of those will be extremely necessary for the last half of the game. Also, I recommend Dragon Claw over Dragon Rush, as the 75% accuracy isn't worth the extra power, but if you want to use it, you can, just don't be surprised if it misses half the time.

Moving on, Staravia (and later Staraptor) should get Fly to make traveling back and forth easier. I'd also give it Return for a massively powerful STAB attack at max happiness. And in the same vein, when Staraptor first evolves, it gains Close Combat, which you should use. The Defense/Special Defense drop can turn the bird into a fragile speedster, but it will allow Staraptor to punch through the many Rock and Steel types in the game, plus shatter any Ice Mons as well. For the final move slot, I'd say give it Aerial Ace for its perfect accuracy and decent power, as well as giving you a decent Flying move that isn't a 2-turn move.

Monferno is an interesting case. Because the line is so flexible, it can switch between Attack and Special Attack very easily. Since yous has a neutral nature, that leaves it a lot of options to work with, as both attacking stats will be roughly equal. For a Fire move, I recommend Flamethrower, as it's consistent, powerful, and has no drawbacks, unlike Flare Blitz, that has a nasty recoil, or Fire Blast, which is inaccurate. Because only Chimchar can learn it naturally, you'll have to use the TM found in the Fuego Ironworks to teach it Flamethrower, which won't be until you get Surf, but it's worth it. For a Fighting move, either Close Combat or Brick Break will serve it well, depending on your preference, especially since you can get Brick Break in Oreburgh Cave once you have Rock Smash and the bike. Now, if you want to use some Move Tutors, then Infernape really benefits from the one near Pastoria City with some moves like Vacuum Wave (a Special variant of Mach Punch), Thunder Punch, and Fire Punch (the latter of which if you decided not to use Flamethrower). Thunder Punch is good because it allows Infernape to fight Water and Flying Mons for super-effective damage, and with its beefy Attack stat, it'll hurt. If you need Infernape to play some HM roles, then it can learn Cut, Rock Smash, and Strength, the latter of which will also play a heavy role in the later half of the game. But really Infernape can play with a lot of moves, making it very flexible.

Buizel (and later Floatzel) will become your Surf/Waterfall Mon. Buizel and Floatzel have pretty even Attack/Special Attack stats, so both moves won't be wasted on it, so it's okay to give it both HMs. As for other moves, Ice Fang (which can be relearned via the Move Reminder in Pastoria City for a Heart Scale) and Ice Punch (again, from the Move Tutor just outside of Pastoria City) are good for helping to combat Grass Mons, as well as giving it some offensive punch against Dragons (like a certain champion's Garchomp). As for the final move slot, you could go for Crunch, which it naturally learns upon evolution to help take a bite out of the Psychic E4 member. Just be careful, as Floatzel is a fragile speedster, so it can't take much punishment, meaning it has to hit hard and fast, so keep that in mind.

Next up is Luxio. Spark should remain its main Elec move, as it feeds off of his higher Attack stat. One would argue that Thunder Fang is better, but Spark has the same base power, is 100% accurate, and has a 30% chance to paralyze the opponent, while Thunder Fang only has a 10% chance of either paralyze or flinch, and has 95% accuracy. Crunch should be a move that it gains, as the Defense lowering properties will help, plus it'll help against Fantina and the same Psychic E4 member as mentioned before. Luxray can also learn Strength, which is actually a halfway decent move on it, so give it Strength to cover that HM requirement. Its final move is up for grabs, as it has a somewhat shallow movepool in this gen, but some recommend moves like Iron Tail and Superpower for it to punch holes in Rock and Steel types, but that's your call (plus I don't think you can get Superpower until post-game, so it might not be accessible right away). I'd probably recommend something like Thunder Wave, Toxic, or Secret Power, but you can decide for yourself what you think would work best there.

As for a final member, I'd say go with Tangrowth. It's a bit slow, but can be an absolute brute when raised the right way. Plus having a Grass Mon will help against Crasher Wake, Cynthia's Milotic, and Bertha. The Mon is pretty much a tank, with an insanely high Attack and even higher Special Attack stat, along with beefy HP and Defense, so it can fight well. You can catch one in the Great Marsh in Pastoria City (be warned, it IS a Safari Zone, so Lady Luck is required there). But if you can catch a Tangela, just raise it until it learns Ancient Power and it'll evolve into quite the brute. Some moves for it would be Power Whip (which will utterly thrash Water, Rock, and Ground Mons), Sleep Powder (very handy, even if the accuracy is shaky), Rock Slide/Ancient Power (which counters 4 of its 5 weaknesses), Synthesis/Giga Drain (for recovery) and Brick Break. It can also learn Rock Smash, so it can be your smasher until the move isn't needed anymore. I also recommend getting a Zoom Lens for it. You'll need 1000 tokens from the Game Corner in Veilstone City to get it, but it'll help boost the shakier accuracy that some of Tangrowth's moves have, as the Zoom Lens boosts the accuracy of all of its moves by 20% if it moves after the opponent. That's better than the 10% boost you get from the Wide Lens. And since Tangrowth is very slow, it'll pretty much make all of its moves extremely accurate. Again, catching it is the tricky part, but it'll serve you well.

That's about all I can say right now. I hope this helps.

PkmnTrainerV likes this.
  8. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    @CynthiaLover Your Post is incredibly helpful! Thanks!
    I had pretty much intended the star-line to be my fly-user since Bibarel cannot fly. And I do have the TM return, with Staravia having high friendship so I'll be teaching it the move asap! Close Combat is nice to have, since fragile speedsters are the kind of Pokémon I'm most comfortable with.

Your advice on Infernape is noted. I plan on it running a mixed set with Flamethrower, Mach Punch, Brick Break and coverage.

Is Flash needed a lot after Hearthrome city? I currently don’t have any other Flash user so I'd like to plan with that in mind.Strength will help in the HM department since I'm straining poor Bibarel too much.

As for the sixth team member, I'll be keeping Tangrowth under consideration. I'm not particularly fond of its design (specially since we’ve seen what it could have been with the Gold/Silver beta) but I don’t have much choice on the grass type.
    I also recently obtained Eevee, so is leafeon a viable option?

9. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:
    Flash isn't needed after Wayward Cave, hence why it was demoted to TM status this gen. In other words, you only need Flash once in the entire game, so your free to remove it. Plus you can always buy another one at the Veilstone City department store, so it's not like it'll be gone for good in case you decide you want it. As for Leafeon, sadly, it's not as viable as it would like to be. It's best move is Leaf Blade, which it doesn't learn until Lv75, way beyond the time it's needed. And since it's a physical attacker, moves like Giga Drain and such are almost useless on it. If you did decide to use it, you'd have to relearn Razor Leaf via the Move Reminder in Pastoria, which it'll have to use for pretty much the entire game, and that move is only so-so overall, so Leafeon's viability is only moderate at best. I tried raising one once in another Platinum run myself, only to learn of all this the hard way, meaning I pretty much wasted my Eevee at the time. If you don't like Tangrowth, Roserade is another option, though you'll need to raise Roselia for a while before evolving it via a Shiny Stone, since, like most stone evos, it stops learning new moves after evolving, and Roselia is fairly frail. If you do decide to go that path, then moves like Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, and Stun Spore are good options for it, since Roserade is a better special hitter than physical. Fortunately, you can catch Roselia on both sides of Hearthome City, so if you do decide that Roserade is for you, you won't have far to look for one. Hope this helps.

PkmnTrainerV likes this.
  10. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the double post (though the first one is very old so I'm not sure if it matters right now), but now I'm the one who needs a little help. I just restarted White again this morning for a change of pace. I'm currently at the Dreamyard, having finished Fennel's request and wanted to hunt for a Munna. I not only found a Munna, but a Musharna as well. The funny thing is... both have the exact same nature (Calm), have the same ability (Synchronize), and both are Lv 11, so I'm torn between which one to actually use. I know that Musharna can't learn any more moves naturally, but I do have access to all the Gen V TMs in another White version, so I can cheat a bit and teach it TMs. Plus it's an evolved Mon, so its stats will grow more quickly. But at the same time Munna learns moves like Moonlight, Psychic, and Yawn (and, for that matter, is actually able to learn moves via Lv Up), so it's tempting to take the long road to have access to those moves. Right now I'm not sure what to do. Which path should I take: Munna or Musharna? Any advice would be appreciated. And, to tie into the question, what would be a good selection of moves for the final choice? Thanks in advance.

11. Dieter

Dieter Dieter

Blog Posts:
    Munna, considering it's still early game. The access to a wider movepool is helpful, and despite it being unevolved, the game shouldn't give you trouble yet because of that. For its final moveset Psychic is a given and Moonlight would absolutely be helpful too. The following depends a little on your team, but if you plan to include more slow pokemon, Trick Room is a great addition. Shadowball is a good option too. If you have access to BW2 move tutors you could teach it Signal Beam/Heal Bell, but if you don't want to depend on outside resources, you could also consider Toxic/Thunder Wave. But honestly, it depends on your team. For a team that benefits from Trick Room, I'd go with Psychic/Trick Room/Shadow Ball/Toxic. Otherwise replace Trick Room with Moonlight and Toxic with Thunder Wave

CynthiaLover likes this.
  12. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:
    Thank you @Dieter , that's exactly the advice I was looking for. I was also leaning toward Munna as well due to the wider movepool, but your advice cemented the choice. I won't, however, be using Trick Room, as the only other slow-ish Mon on my current team is Pignite, and I plan to add some faster Mons later down the road, so Trick Room might be counterproductive in the long run. But everything else you said will work very well, so thank you.

Dieter likes this.
  13. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:
    Once again, sorry for the double post, but I have another question regarding a potential teammate.

I'm looking into a more long-term Flying type. I currently have Ravess the shiny Unfezant, but I know that Unfezant isn't the best long-term choice, thanks to a fairly shallow movepool and mismatched stats to coincide with those moves. So I'm looking into another potential flyer. My usual go-to choice is Braviary, but I won't be able to get him for a good long time, so I've focused my sights on Archen. Usually, my fossil-of-choice in Unova is Tirtouga, as Archen's Defeatist tends to be a big deterrent, but I did trade over an unused Plume Fossil to revive for dex data and ended up with a Rash female Archen. So I was wondering if I should consider Archen as my would-be Flying Mon? As I said earlier with the Munna/Musharna situation, I can access extra resources like all the TMs and even Move Tutors if needed, so I can cheat a bit if it helps tailor my needs better. But I want to know if Archen would be a halfway decent choice for a flyer. If so, then what moves should I choose for it (including TMs and Move Tutors, if you feel they would help), though I do admit this'll give my team three Mons with Water weaknesses. If not, I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

14. cheesesoufle

cheesesoufle New Member

Blog Posts:
    My team for Heart gold is
    Raichu (58) Strength.Thunder.Focusblast.Thunderbolt
    Aerodactyl (59) Crunch.Rockslide.Fly.Earthquake
    Venomoth (62) Sleeppowder.Bugbuzz.Psychic.Gigadrain
    Cloyster (58) Surf.Icebeam.Explosion.Blizzard
    Arcanine (58) Overheat.Firefang.Rock climb.Dragonpulse
    Victreebel (57) Leafstorm.Sludgebomb.Leafblade.Cut
    I definitely evolved Growlithe and Shellder too early. I'm stuck on the rematch with Lance. I can't even get past Salamence. What can I do to make this team better?

15. Dieter

Dieter Dieter

Blog Posts:
    without exiting the league, I assume? cause then it entirely depends on what items you have on hand, and even then...

16. cheesesoufle

cheesesoufle New Member

Blog Posts:
    I've already exited the league. The problem is it takes forever to train in Cerulean Cave / Daycare, and the fact that Arcanine has no good fire moves with an Adamant nature, and Cloyster, the Ice type, has such low SpDef it can't even hit Salamence with Blizzard.

17. Dieter

Dieter Dieter

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so circumstances aren't ideal, but it should be doable. Level grinding is slow, but getting your team members a few levels extra, especially your arcanine and cloyster, will be helpful. You don't have to go all the way to level seventy-something, but do get in those early sixties. Next, I would start out with a speedy pokemon that can give that salamence a status condition. Its lum berry will restore it, but that means you can give it another status condition (anything but sleep) to trick it into using rest. That should give you some space to get more attacks in. Also, you don't want to depend on blizzard, unless the weather condition is hail. If the problem with Cloyster is a 1-hit KO, give it a focus sash. I also dunno if you've done any EV training, but if not, invest in its HP and SpA. There's not a lot else you can do here, cause there's no curing that low SpDef. It surprises me a little that your cloyster can't get a hit in, as I see Lance's salamence is mostly physical oriented in its moveset.

Additionally, fire moves won't help you here, cause dragons. I'd replace Overheat with Extreme Speed and give it Toxic or Will-o-wisp. Plus make sure to invest in its speed and hp. That way you can use it to inflict status on salamence.

Giving your raichu Thunderwave might not a bad idea here either. While Lance's dragons are not all super speedy, as you're underleveled, they'll still be pretty fast and you wanna cripple them as much as possible to give them more trouble to damage you.

18. cheesesoufle

cheesesoufle New Member

Blog Posts:
    Flamethrower OHKOs Cloyster
    So I can give Venomoth an Occa Berry and use PoisonPowder
    Raichu can't relearn Thunderwave, even though it knew it as a Pikachu

I was originally using a Seaking until I caught Shellder, but it's only level 34

19. Dieter

Dieter Dieter

Blog Posts:
    Thunder Wave is a TM in Gen IV, so if you want you could relearn it. But I see you can only get it in the Battle Frontier and I forgot if that's unlocked directly post-E4. Also, if you let your mom save up money for you, one of the rewards she gives you is a focus sash, so that should be accessible too.

20. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:
    Okay, I need a bit of advice. I'm doing a rerun of X (I just finished a rerun of White, but I was still bored, and even though XY aren't high on my list, I decided to try them one more time). I haven't gotten very far, just past Viola's gym, and my only two "main" teammates are a Frogadier and Fletchling (I had others, but I boxed them, as these two were able to solo Viola pretty easily, while the others turned into dead weight). I need some advice on other teammates. And, unlike what I normally do in most playthroughs (using only new Mons), I'm going to allow myself to be open to all the options in X this time. In other words, the whole dex is viable now, not just the new Mons. Yeah, not something I would do normally, isn't it? However, I've used most of the new Mons in XY so much that they've gotten pretty stale to me, so that's why I'm branching out a bit more this time.

But in any case, this is where I need help. I want to fill in the remaining four slots in my team, but I'm not sure what would be good choices anymore, especially in X. So I'm open to suggestions for this run. Suggesting moves (including TMs), abilities, and Natures are welcome, too (though that last one will be up to luck at best). I do have ground rules: no breeding permitted, no trading Mons from other games, and no Move Tutors outside of what XY has. Megas are kinda debatable, as I do possess multiple copies of all the Mega Stones, so if you have a Mega worth suggesting, let me know and I'll think about it (except M-Kanga, as I'm so sick of her, so she's not an option). But I'm generally open to pretty much all ideas and suggestions this time. This is bit of a tall order, I admit, but I will also admit my XY runs are very narrow-minded normally (given the slim number of new choices), so I figured this time I'll be more open to what's available in the game instead of being overly stubborn and picky. So thanks in advanced to whoever decides to tackle this challenge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.