1. Interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff? See details here.
  2. Updated #2: The forums are going to be down Tomorrow (23rd of January) in the morning (JST) for maintenance as we upgrade the software to XenForo 2. Particularly of note is that blogs are going to be removed for the time being, but we are getting a lot of new features with the upgrade.

For more details, see this thread.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by Wiilio, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Dieter

Dieter Dieter

Blog Posts:
    You asked for a higher experience yield while gaining the right EVs, not a favourable match...

2. CynthiaLover

CynthiaLover Geek of the Games

Blog Posts:
    Welp... my Y run has been put on hold due to both of my 3DS's acting up (I dropped my main one by accident, and when up boot it up the screen is distorted, so I have to send it out for repairs, while the other one's battery is not holding a charge, so I have to order another battery), so I'm going back in time to the age of Gen IV. I'm going to do a HeartGold run but I need some ideas for teammates. I want to limit the run to Johto Mons as much as possible (which includes cross-gen evos like Mamoswine), but I know that Johto's biggest problem is the over-reliance of Kanto Mons, so I know my options aren't great. I'll be starting with Cyndaquil, as always, but I need some ideas for other Mons. I'll also be trading over a bunch of stockpiled items from other games to give this one a head-start (like, for example... a LUCKY EGG to mitigate that blasted level curve), so if I need evolutionary items and TMs, I can get them. I won't breed for anything, though, limiting my choices to what I can catch, so no breeding suggestions. Do note that I am allowing Mons that aren't in the Johto dex into my team but evolve from Mons in said dex (such as Honchkrow and Gliscor, for example) in order to widen my options, so if you want to suggest one of them, go right ahead. Moves and ability recommendations are welcome, too, as it's been way too long since my last Gen IV run, so I don't remember everything 100%.

Sorry for the tall order, but it's been a while, and I need something new to do until I get my two 3DS's back online. Thanks in advance to anyone who suggests things.

3. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the double post, but a new situation has arisen. In Gen IV, what would be a good level to evolve a Sneasel into a Weavile? I ended up with a hatchling Sneasel in my HG run (mystery eggs, you gotta love 'em) and I wasn't sure if/when would be the most ideal time to evolve her. She's currently at Lv20, Adamant, with Quick Attack/Screech/Feint Attack/Ice Punch (the last one was an egg move), and I already have a Razor Claw in my bag (had other ideas for it, but now...), but I'm not sure when would be best to evolve her. So, at what level would be best for her to evolve at? Thanks in advance.

4. Fluttershy of Light

Fluttershy of Light Princess of Love

Blog Posts:
    The only move you'd be missing out on is Ice Shard (49) which could be helpful but if you don't really care for it then you could probably just evolve it now since it still has level up moves since it's not a stone evolution. Weavile's dark level up moves makes Slash redundent and is already fast and frail to use agility even for in game.. If there is a move you wanted that weavile doesn't get though then it might be best to wait until it has that move.

5. CynthiaLover

Blog Posts:
    Well, here I am again. My HG ended up glitching and I lost everything, so that effectively iced that run, so now, with my newly fixed 3DS's, I've decided to try an Alpha Sapphire run instead. And, besides, I like Hoenn better than Johto anyway, and AS is a bit less dated in terms of mechanics and such (plus I love beating up Team Aqua, as I'm a Team Magma supporter). But, anyway, on with my requests.

As always, I'll be starting with Torchic (I like Treecko well enough, but not enough as my starter Mon, and I don't like Mudkip, so that ends up narrowing the field instantly), and Torchic (eventually Blaziken) will be my Mega Mon. I also plan to, as usual, add Gardevoir to my ranks. That leaves the remaining four slots open. I was debating on my usual Manectric for an Elec Mon (to deal with Water ones, obviously), but I've been wondering if Magnezone would be a good idea. Granted, I've very, very sparsely used Magnezone, so I don't really know it's full potential yet, as those past runs in other games were rather limited due to options and accessibility, so if someone thinks it would be good alternative, let me know. Either way, that leaves me with three slots remaining. Obviously, I'll need a Water Mon, given Hoenn's 50/50 land/water ratio, as well as heavy need for Water HMs. I've used a fair few in the past, though only Sharpedo and Milotic made it to endgame territory, so I'm open to suggestions there. That leaves two slots left, and those two are very much up for grabs, though, obviously, I'll need ones that can use the necessary HMs to complete the game (I tend to consider Fly as optional, as it isn't totally needed, and Soaring pretty much makes it redundant when obtained). Also, try to keep it limited to the Hoenn Dex, meaning no DexNav exclusives like Zorua and such (besides, they come so late anyway it wouldn't be worth the extra grinding).

As always, move/Ability suggestions are welcome, and this time I'm opening up Move Tutor moves as options (though no Egg Moves baring ones obtained by the DexNav). I've got plenty of BP leftover in my main Hoenn game, so I can just trade the Mon in question over for a few minutes to teach it a move, then trade it back without repercussions to friendship or affection. So, if you think a certain Move Tutor move would be good, let me know. Held Item suggestions are also welcome, as I can just trade over any of my stockpiled items if needed.

Tall order, yes, but it's been a very long time since my last Hoenn run, so I need bit of a refresher course. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes this challenge on.

6. Bob Fizzle

Bob Fizzle OBEY THE BEARD

Blog Posts:
    So after a yearlong hiatus, I'm finally back until I get bored of Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. This team was really fun to build, though hopefully I'm not too rusty. I did manage to avoid any egg moves, although I did put hidden abilities on some of the 'mons. I also tried to note any BP moves where applicable. Held items are mostly open, although you could do worse than lefties or a bunch of Sitrus berries.

So the first couple of sets seem pretty obvious to me. Here's your Gardevoir and Blaziken sets:

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
    Ability: Blaze (speed boost after mega)
    -Protect
    -Blaze Kick / Flare Blitz
    -(pick two) Swords Dance / Bulk Up / Stone Edge / Rock Slide / High Jump Kick / Sky Uppercut

Blaziken's set is pretty linear. Protect to activate a Speed Boost, SD if you can, and then break things in half with STAB combo.

Gardevoir @
    -Moonblast
    -Psyshock / Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
    -Calm Mind

I feel like Gardevoir is best as a Calm Mind sweeper as opposed to an all-out attacker. I feel like Choice specs or scarf are sub-par because it doesn't quite have enough power to be locked into a single move. Try to use her better special bulk to set up against special attackers.

Do give Magnezone a try. At first I tried to use different 'mons in my various playthroughs, but I always ended up with a Magnezone to the point where I just accept that I'm going to use one on my team and build accordingly. My favorite set is Thunderbolt / Volt Switch / Flash Cannon / Thunder Wave (Though I'd recommend giving HP fire a shot if you're lucky enough to get it) with Sturdy (Magnet Pull isn't really necessary since the AI don't ever switch anything). Just use its incredible 11 resistances and amazing raw bulk to switch it in liberally and spread status or pivot out with Volt Switch.

Magnezone
    Ability: Sturdy
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Flash Cannon
    -Hidden Power (Fire) / Thunder Wave

As far as teammates go, you'll definitely want a ground resist or two to cover Mag's biggest weakness. My first thought was Skarmory to form a formidable physical backbone, as well as just being highly annoying with Spikes and Whirlwind Roar. However, I ultimately ended up scrapping Skarm because his inclusion would have left the team with a single water-switchin, so instead I decided to add Flygon + Breloom as the ground resists.

Skarmory
    Ability: Sturdy
    -Spikes / Toxic
    -Roar
    -(pick two) Iron Head (BP tutor) / Aerial Ace / Roost / Counter

So as I mentioned, As good of a blanket check as Magnezone is, he still appreciates not having to do all of the defensive work himself, and really does like having a couple of teammates to switch out to eat an Earthquake or two. Flygon seems like a good fit here, with its secondary dragon typing offering plenty of handy resistances as well as the desired ground immunity (thanks to Levitate). While I've admittedly not used Flygon much, it does have a really fun move set to play with (sadly no Dragon Dance til gen 7 -- Game Freak pls). Consider something like the following:

Flygon @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    Careful nature (+SpD, -SpA)
    -Earthquake / Bulldoze
    -Stone Miss / Rock Slide / Rock Tomb
    -Power-Up Punch / Hone Claws
    -U-turn

I would highly recommend a +SpD nature on Flygon in case he's needed as an emergency check to
    Rock + Ground moves provide near-perfect neutral coverage (just watch out for Breloom), and one of them can be used to lower opponents' speed to make things a bit easier for the rest of your team. Power-up punch or Hone Claws can be used to boost Flygon's attack in lieu of Dragon Dance, while U-turn forms a nice pivoting core with Magnezone. I had considered Dragon Tail to go along with Skarmory's spike-stacking annoyance, but that ends up being rather detrimental with the set I came up with for Breloom.

Actually, I lied. I came up with 2 Breloom sets. The first one is designed to take advantage of Breloom's 5 type resistances and be generally annoying while living as long as possible with a combination of Poison Heal, Leech Seed, and Drain Punch.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    -Spore
    -Leech Seed
    -Drain Punch (BP tutor)
    -Mach Punch / Facade / Seed Bomb (BP tutor)

The other Breloom set adds more offensive presence, but still manages to stay alive mostly thanks to Drain Punch. This set is nice, because you can choose Poison Heal or Technician, and swap the moves to get similar effects. Poison heal mostly mandates use of a Swords Dance, but Toxic Orb greatly aids in setting up said boost, while Technician sets can achieve snowballing through Power-up Punch or just start swinging with Technician-boosted priority or Rock Tomb.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb (Only if Poison Heal)
    Ability: Poison Heal / Technician
    -Swords Dance / Power-up Punch (SD can be used by both sets, but only use PuP with technician)
    -Drain Punch
    -Mach Punch / Seed Bomb / Bullet Seed (if Technician)
    -Facade (if PH) / Rock Tomb (If Technician)

Breloom can also use Rock Smash, especially if you choose the Technician variant, as long as you need to break those crumbly rocks in your path.

So onto the team's water type: After giving consideration to Lanturn, I decided against it because I felt like, even with 2 Earthquake switch-ins, having 3 ground weaknesses was a bad idea. I also didn't like that Gardevoir is the only defensive answer to fighting-types, so I decided on a bulky Gyarados set. Gyarados is also the only electric weakness while the team sports Magnezone, Flygon, and Breloom as switch-ins (and Gyarados can run Earthquake itself). Intimidate combined with decent special bulk makes it a surprisingly good switch-in to anything that isn't a rock- or electric-type move, which makes it a good primary answer for fighting-types.

Gyarados @
    Ability: Intimidate
    Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
    -Waterfall
    -Thunder Wave
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch / Bounce / Stone Edge

Gyarados can also use all 3 of the water HMs as long as you need it to, and I guess you could keep Surf over Waterfall, though that's a bit sub-optimal IMO.

Some other notes on this team:
    -Try to spread the yellow magic around as much as possible with Gyarados and Magnezone to make it easier for Flygon and Gardevoir to set up and sweep.
    -While this team has at least 2 switch-ins for most things, Magnezone is the only defensive answer for flying-types, and this team doesn't really have any defensive measures for Claydol. If you can somehow manage to seed it with Breloom, great, but otherwise you'll just have to blow past it with sheer offensive pressure.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    CynthiaLover likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.