• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Welp... my Y run has been put on hold due to both of my 3DS's acting up (I dropped my main one by accident, and when up boot it up the screen is distorted, so I have to send it out for repairs, while the other one's battery is not holding a charge, so I have to order another battery), so I'm going back in time to the age of Gen IV. I'm going to do a HeartGold run but I need some ideas for teammates. I want to limit the run to Johto Mons as much as possible (which includes cross-gen evos like Mamoswine), but I know that Johto's biggest problem is the over-reliance of Kanto Mons, so I know my options aren't great. I'll be starting with Cyndaquil, as always, but I need some ideas for other Mons. I'll also be trading over a bunch of stockpiled items from other games to give this one a head-start (like, for example... a LUCKY EGG to mitigate that blasted level curve), so if I need evolutionary items and TMs, I can get them. I won't breed for anything, though, limiting my choices to what I can catch, so no breeding suggestions. Do note that I am allowing Mons that aren't in the Johto dex into my team but evolve from Mons in said dex (such as Honchkrow and Gliscor, for example) in order to widen my options, so if you want to suggest one of them, go right ahead. Moves and ability recommendations are welcome, too, as it's been way too long since my last Gen IV run, so I don't remember everything 100%.

Sorry for the tall order, but it's been a while, and I need something new to do until I get my two 3DS's back online. Thanks in advance to anyone who suggests things.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but a new situation has arisen. In Gen IV, what would be a good level to evolve a Sneasel into a Weavile? I ended up with a hatchling Sneasel in my HG run (mystery eggs, you gotta love 'em) and I wasn't sure if/when would be the most ideal time to evolve her. She's currently at Lv20, Adamant, with Quick Attack/Screech/Feint Attack/Ice Punch (the last one was an egg move), and I already have a Razor Claw in my bag (had other ideas for it, but now...), but I'm not sure when would be best to evolve her. So, at what level would be best for her to evolve at? Thanks in advance.

Fluttershy of Light

Princess of Love
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but a new situation has arisen. In Gen IV, what would be a good level to evolve a Sneasel into a Weavile? I ended up with a hatchling Sneasel in my HG run (mystery eggs, you gotta love 'em) and I wasn't sure if/when would be the most ideal time to evolve her. She's currently at Lv20, Adamant, with Quick Attack/Screech/Feint Attack/Ice Punch (the last one was an egg move), and I already have a Razor Claw in my bag (had other ideas for it, but now...), but I'm not sure when would be best to evolve her. So, at what level would be best for her to evolve at? Thanks in advance.
The only move you'd be missing out on is Ice Shard (49) which could be helpful but if you don't really care for it then you could probably just evolve it now since it still has level up moves since it's not a stone evolution. Weavile's dark level up moves makes Slash redundent and is already fast and frail to use agility even for in game.. If there is a move you wanted that weavile doesn't get though then it might be best to wait until it has that move.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Well, here I am again. My HG ended up glitching and I lost everything, so that effectively iced that run, so now, with my newly fixed 3DS's, I've decided to try an Alpha Sapphire run instead. And, besides, I like Hoenn better than Johto anyway, and AS is a bit less dated in terms of mechanics and such (plus I love beating up Team Aqua, as I'm a Team Magma supporter). But, anyway, on with my requests.

As always, I'll be starting with Torchic (I like Treecko well enough, but not enough as my starter Mon, and I don't like Mudkip, so that ends up narrowing the field instantly), and Torchic (eventually Blaziken) will be my Mega Mon. I also plan to, as usual, add Gardevoir to my ranks. That leaves the remaining four slots open. I was debating on my usual Manectric for an Elec Mon (to deal with Water ones, obviously), but I've been wondering if Magnezone would be a good idea. Granted, I've very, very sparsely used Magnezone, so I don't really know it's full potential yet, as those past runs in other games were rather limited due to options and accessibility, so if someone thinks it would be good alternative, let me know. Either way, that leaves me with three slots remaining. Obviously, I'll need a Water Mon, given Hoenn's 50/50 land/water ratio, as well as heavy need for Water HMs. I've used a fair few in the past, though only Sharpedo and Milotic made it to endgame territory, so I'm open to suggestions there. That leaves two slots left, and those two are very much up for grabs, though, obviously, I'll need ones that can use the necessary HMs to complete the game (I tend to consider Fly as optional, as it isn't totally needed, and Soaring pretty much makes it redundant when obtained). Also, try to keep it limited to the Hoenn Dex, meaning no DexNav exclusives like Zorua and such (besides, they come so late anyway it wouldn't be worth the extra grinding).

As always, move/Ability suggestions are welcome, and this time I'm opening up Move Tutor moves as options (though no Egg Moves baring ones obtained by the DexNav). I've got plenty of BP leftover in my main Hoenn game, so I can just trade the Mon in question over for a few minutes to teach it a move, then trade it back without repercussions to friendship or affection. So, if you think a certain Move Tutor move would be good, let me know. Held Item suggestions are also welcome, as I can just trade over any of my stockpiled items if needed.

Tall order, yes, but it's been a very long time since my last Hoenn run, so I need bit of a refresher course. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes this challenge on.

Bob Fizzle

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
Well, here I am again. My HG ended up glitching and I lost everything, so that effectively iced that run, so now, with my newly fixed 3DS's, I've decided to try an Alpha Sapphire run instead. And, besides, I like Hoenn better than Johto anyway, and AS is a bit less dated in terms of mechanics and such (plus I love beating up Team Aqua, as I'm a Team Magma supporter). But, anyway, on with my requests.

As always, I'll be starting with Torchic (I like Treecko well enough, but not enough as my starter Mon, and I don't like Mudkip, so that ends up narrowing the field instantly), and Torchic (eventually Blaziken) will be my Mega Mon. I also plan to, as usual, add Gardevoir to my ranks. That leaves the remaining four slots open. I was debating on my usual Manectric for an Elec Mon (to deal with Water ones, obviously), but I've been wondering if Magnezone would be a good idea. Granted, I've very, very sparsely used Magnezone, so I don't really know it's full potential yet, as those past runs in other games were rather limited due to options and accessibility, so if someone thinks it would be good alternative, let me know. Either way, that leaves me with three slots remaining. Obviously, I'll need a Water Mon, given Hoenn's 50/50 land/water ratio, as well as heavy need for Water HMs. I've used a fair few in the past, though only Sharpedo and Milotic made it to endgame territory, so I'm open to suggestions there. That leaves two slots left, and those two are very much up for grabs, though, obviously, I'll need ones that can use the necessary HMs to complete the game (I tend to consider Fly as optional, as it isn't totally needed, and Soaring pretty much makes it redundant when obtained). Also, try to keep it limited to the Hoenn Dex, meaning no DexNav exclusives like Zorua and such (besides, they come so late anyway it wouldn't be worth the extra grinding).

As always, move/Ability suggestions are welcome, and this time I'm opening up Move Tutor moves as options (though no Egg Moves baring ones obtained by the DexNav). I've got plenty of BP leftover in my main Hoenn game, so I can just trade the Mon in question over for a few minutes to teach it a move, then trade it back without repercussions to friendship or affection. So, if you think a certain Move Tutor move would be good, let me know. Held Item suggestions are also welcome, as I can just trade over any of my stockpiled items if needed.

Tall order, yes, but it's been a very long time since my last Hoenn run, so I need bit of a refresher course. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes this challenge on.
So after a yearlong hiatus, I'm finally back until I get bored of Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. This team was really fun to build, though hopefully I'm not too rusty. I did manage to avoid any egg moves, although I did put hidden abilities on some of the 'mons. I also tried to note any BP moves where applicable. Held items are mostly open, although you could do worse than lefties or a bunch of Sitrus berries.

So the first couple of sets seem pretty obvious to me. Here's your Gardevoir and Blaziken sets:

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Blaze (speed boost after mega)
-Protect
-Blaze Kick / Flare Blitz
-(pick two) Swords Dance / Bulk Up / Stone Edge / Rock Slide / High Jump Kick / Sky Uppercut

Blaziken's set is pretty linear. Protect to activate a Speed Boost, SD if you can, and then break things in half with STAB combo.

Gardevoir @
-Moonblast
-Psyshock / Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind

I feel like Gardevoir is best as a Calm Mind sweeper as opposed to an all-out attacker. I feel like Choice specs or scarf are sub-par because it doesn't quite have enough power to be locked into a single move. Try to use her better special bulk to set up against special attackers.

Do give Magnezone a try. At first I tried to use different 'mons in my various playthroughs, but I always ended up with a Magnezone to the point where I just accept that I'm going to use one on my team and build accordingly. My favorite set is Thunderbolt / Volt Switch / Flash Cannon / Thunder Wave (Though I'd recommend giving HP fire a shot if you're lucky enough to get it) with Sturdy (Magnet Pull isn't really necessary since the AI don't ever switch anything). Just use its incredible 11 resistances and amazing raw bulk to switch it in liberally and spread status or pivot out with Volt Switch.

Magnezone
Ability: Sturdy
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power (Fire) / Thunder Wave

As far as teammates go, you'll definitely want a ground resist or two to cover Mag's biggest weakness. My first thought was Skarmory to form a formidable physical backbone, as well as just being highly annoying with Spikes and Whirlwind Roar. However, I ultimately ended up scrapping Skarm because his inclusion would have left the team with a single water-switchin, so instead I decided to add Flygon + Breloom as the ground resists.

Skarmory
Ability: Sturdy
-Spikes / Toxic
-Roar
-(pick two) Iron Head (BP tutor) / Aerial Ace / Roost / Counter

So as I mentioned, As good of a blanket check as Magnezone is, he still appreciates not having to do all of the defensive work himself, and really does like having a couple of teammates to switch out to eat an Earthquake or two. Flygon seems like a good fit here, with its secondary dragon typing offering plenty of handy resistances as well as the desired ground immunity (thanks to Levitate). While I've admittedly not used Flygon much, it does have a really fun move set to play with (sadly no Dragon Dance til gen 7 -- Game Freak pls). Consider something like the following:

Flygon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
Careful nature (+SpD, -SpA)
-Earthquake / Bulldoze
-Stone Miss / Rock Slide / Rock Tomb
-Power-Up Punch / Hone Claws
-U-turn

I would highly recommend a +SpD nature on Flygon in case he's needed as an emergency check to
Rock + Ground moves provide near-perfect neutral coverage (just watch out for Breloom), and one of them can be used to lower opponents' speed to make things a bit easier for the rest of your team. Power-up punch or Hone Claws can be used to boost Flygon's attack in lieu of Dragon Dance, while U-turn forms a nice pivoting core with Magnezone. I had considered Dragon Tail to go along with Skarmory's spike-stacking annoyance, but that ends up being rather detrimental with the set I came up with for Breloom.

Actually, I lied. I came up with 2 Breloom sets. The first one is designed to take advantage of Breloom's 5 type resistances and be generally annoying while living as long as possible with a combination of Poison Heal, Leech Seed, and Drain Punch.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
-Spore
-Leech Seed
-Drain Punch (BP tutor)
-Mach Punch / Facade / Seed Bomb (BP tutor)

The other Breloom set adds more offensive presence, but still manages to stay alive mostly thanks to Drain Punch. This set is nice, because you can choose Poison Heal or Technician, and swap the moves to get similar effects. Poison heal mostly mandates use of a Swords Dance, but Toxic Orb greatly aids in setting up said boost, while Technician sets can achieve snowballing through Power-up Punch or just start swinging with Technician-boosted priority or Rock Tomb.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb (Only if Poison Heal)
Ability: Poison Heal / Technician
-Swords Dance / Power-up Punch (SD can be used by both sets, but only use PuP with technician)
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch / Seed Bomb / Bullet Seed (if Technician)
-Facade (if PH) / Rock Tomb (If Technician)

Breloom can also use Rock Smash, especially if you choose the Technician variant, as long as you need to break those crumbly rocks in your path.

So onto the team's water type: After giving consideration to Lanturn, I decided against it because I felt like, even with 2 Earthquake switch-ins, having 3 ground weaknesses was a bad idea. I also didn't like that Gardevoir is the only defensive answer to fighting-types, so I decided on a bulky Gyarados set. Gyarados is also the only electric weakness while the team sports Magnezone, Flygon, and Breloom as switch-ins (and Gyarados can run Earthquake itself). Intimidate combined with decent special bulk makes it a surprisingly good switch-in to anything that isn't a rock- or electric-type move, which makes it a good primary answer for fighting-types.

Gyarados @
Ability: Intimidate
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Waterfall
-Thunder Wave
-Earthquake
-Crunch / Bounce / Stone Edge

Gyarados can also use all 3 of the water HMs as long as you need it to, and I guess you could keep Surf over Waterfall, though that's a bit sub-optimal IMO.

Some other notes on this team:
-Try to spread the yellow magic around as much as possible with Gyarados and Magnezone to make it easier for Flygon and Gardevoir to set up and sweep.
-While this team has at least 2 switch-ins for most things, Magnezone is the only defensive answer for flying-types, and this team doesn't really have any defensive measures for Claydol. If you can somehow manage to seed it with Breloom, great, but otherwise you'll just have to blow past it with sheer offensive pressure.

Last edited:

Captain Hawlucha

Reaction score
So my last Pokémon for Platinum will be Frosslass. I have a female Snorunt. But I'm not sure what moves to teach it. I definitely want her to learn Confuse Ray, but I'm not sure of the others. I'm currently racking up mostly Special Attack EVs and take advantage of her speed to make her a hit hard, hit fast character.

Also, I taught Payback to Umbreon, but it can't take advantage of the double damage because it outspeeds opponents.

Dieter

Dieter
Reaction score
So my last Pokémon for Platinum will be Frosslass. I have a female Snorunt. But I'm not sure what moves to teach it. I definitely want her to learn Confuse Ray, but I'm not sure of the others. I'm currently racking up mostly Special Attack EVs and take advantage of her speed to make her a hit hard, hit fast character.

Also, I taught Payback to Umbreon, but it can't take advantage of the double damage because it outspeeds opponents.
If you're still pre E4 Destiny Bond might not be quite feasible, cause level 59, yikes. Definitely give her Shadow Ball and Ice Beam. Not quite sure what you're gonna use Confuse Ray for if she's a hit hard, hit fast character, but you've got the moveslot space. You might wanna check her Hidden Power, Bug or Fighting could come in handy. Otherwise it depends a little on the rest of your team

As for your Umbreon, if its attack stat is better than its special attack, just give it Faint Attack. Its base power is slightly higher than Payback, so if your Umbreon outspeeds most opponents anyway, you might as well go with that. Alternatively, you could consider Sucker Punch, which is a move tutor move (route 212). Downside to that is that it fails if your opponent doesn't use an attack move...

You could also go for Dark Pulse if you want to make it a special attacker

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Okay, since I finished my AS run just yesterday, I restarted my spare White version for another run through Unova. However, I'm not sure which Mon is a better Psychic Mon: Masharna or Sigilyph. I've used Masharna before, thus I know how well it performs, so I was tempted to try Sigilyph, especially since my team so far is a bit on the slow side, but I'm not sure if it would be the better choice or not. So, which one is better? And what would be a good set of moves for the "winner" of this question? Oh, and before I forget, I started with Tepig, which is how I took note that the team was a bit on the slow side. Thanks in advance.

Bob Fizzle

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
Okay, since I finished my AS run just yesterday, I restarted my spare White version for another run through Unova. However, I'm not sure which Mon is a better Psychic Mon: Masharna or Sigilyph. I've used Masharna before, thus I know how well it performs, so I was tempted to try Sigilyph, especially since my team so far is a bit on the slow side, but I'm not sure if it would be the better choice or not. So, which one is better? And what would be a good set of moves for the "winner" of this question? Oh, and before I forget, I started with Tepig, which is how I took note that the team was a bit on the slow side. Thanks in advance.
I was going to recommend the Sigilyph set, but, unfortunately, 3 of the moves are breeding-only in White, so I guess that's a no-go...

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
-Cosmic Power
-Psycho Shift
-Roost
-Stored Power

Otherwise, Sigilyph is your standard special breaker/sweeper, although Magic Guard does provide a huge benefit if you get your hands on a Life Orb (48BP at the Battle Subway), since Magic Guard blocks the recoil effect from the Life Orb while still obtaining the 30% damage boost. Unfortunately, it doesn't get anything to deal with dark types in White (it gets Signal Beam in White2 from move tutors), but it does have a rather wide array of moves, and Calm Mind to boot. Psychic/Psyshock is the mandatory STAB move, but then you can choose from:
-Air Slash
-Energy Ball
-Flash Cannon
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Beam
Always go for a Timid or Modest nature, and make sure to get Magic Guard.

If you want to try a different flavor on Musharna, maybe try a Trick Room set? Turn your team's lack of speed into an advantage with a Trick Room setter (limitations apply).

Or, for that matter, why not combine the best of both worlds, and give Reuniclus a shot? It's got similar stat distribution as Musharna (trading just a bit of bulk for a bit more Special Attack) with Magic Guard and a wider movepool, and you can even try out Trick Room with it. Or you could just smash everything to bits with Calm Mind and a Life Orb (even dark types 70% of the time, thanks to Focus Miss Focus Blast).

ShadowHounder

Demon Doggo (Best Doggo)
Reaction score
Hey, currently trying to run through Pokemon Ruby version with all three starters (one playthrough each) and was hoping for recommendations on the teams. For now, I want to focus on the Treeko team, since that's the one I'm doing first. I also don't care too much about natures (as this is a casual run) and I'd prefer pokemon that can be obtained by around the 4th gym or so (nothing later then gym 6).

SugarCookie420

PK.......
Reaction score
Hey, currently trying to run through Pokemon Ruby version with all three starters (one playthrough each) and was hoping for recommendations on the teams. For now, I want to focus on the Treeko team, since that's the one I'm doing first. I also don't care too much about natures (as this is a casual run) and I'd prefer pokemon that can be obtained by around the 4th gym or so (nothing later then gym 6).
Treecko and its evolutions should do fine against most of the gyms. It's great against Roxanne and Wallace, resists Wattson, and is only bad against Flannery and Winona, which by then you should have a good counter.

Limiting to the first four gyms does make me lose out on some personal favorites and limits a lot of potentially good Pokémon (Surf is obtainable after 5th gym, missing out on good water types). However, there should still be some pretty fun 'mons you can use

Recommended:
  • Ralts, obtainable at Route 102, evolves fairly early into Kirlia (level 20). Learns Psychic at 26, and evolves into Gardevoir at 30. Gardevoir has solid Special Attack, Special Defense, and passable speed, and has great moves including Calm Mind (21, as Kirlia), both screens (TM), and Shock Wave and Thunderbolt (both TMs, with Shock Wave obtainable after Wattson). The only problem is that it's kinda useless for the Elite 4.
  • Zigzagoon, obtainable pretty much anywhere. Learns headbutt at level 15, which is pretty strong, but it's best use is as an HM slave when it evolves into Linoone (knowing Cut, Strength, Surf, and Rock Smash) and Pickup, which has a 10% chance to pick up some good items at the end of every trainer battle (from Ultra Balls and Super Potions to Rare Candies and PP Ups). Not the greatest to fight with, but great nonetheless
  • Makuhita, obtainable in Granite Cave near Dewford, evolves relatively early into Hariyama, which has a great HP and Attack stat but sup-par defenses. Vital Throw is a good early-game move that never misses but always hits last. It and its evolution Hariyama learns Fake Out and Belly Drum by leveling up, and Bulk Up, Brick Break, and Earthquake via TM (and HMs too, if you want). Oh, and it can somehow learn Surf, though I don't recommend it. There is a better fighting type later on in the game in the form of Medicham, however.
  • Zangoose, obtainable Route 114 before 4th gym, a much better normal type than Zangoose. Has solid normal type moves such as Slash (and Crush Claw, a stronger but less accurate Slash), Swords Dance, and good TMs such as Shadow Ball, Facade, and Brick Break. It's defenses are pretty frail, and there is one (imo) better normal type that would come up later
If you want a slightly more exhausting but worth it playthrough:
  • Numel, obtainable Route 112. Despite being 4x weak to water, it and its evolution Camerupt is still pretty great, being a great mix attacker and learning moves such as Dig (TM, obtainable before Flannery), Earthquake (level up and TM), Flamethrower (TM), and Eruption (level up), plus the gimmicky OHKO move Fissure at later levels. It's kinda hard to use up until the upper 30s, but it's still solid
  • Tentacool, which can be obtained right when you get the Old Rod at Dewford Town. It's initial movepool is pretty shallow, with its best move being at level 25, however it has a pretty decent moveset via TMs which includes Giga Drain (route 123), Ice Beam (Abandoned Ship), and Sludge Bomb (Dewford Town, after the 5th gym). It also is a great special tank with a solid 120 Special Defense, not to mention you can use it as an water HM slave if you really have to (not recommended, there are better HM slaves)
If you want an exhausting but definitely worth it playthrough:
  • Slakoth, a pain to level up and evolve because of it's ability Truant, but Slaking hits really hard, has a BST that's higher than some legendaries, and has great Normal-type moves in the form of TMs (like Strength and Facade), not to mention it's coverage with Earthquake, Shadow Ball, and Brick Break as learnable TM moves. The downside is, once again, Truant is a terrible ability and really hinders its power
  • Shroomish, also a pain to level up starting Level 36-ish and most likely nullified by Treecko, but it and its evolution Breloom have a great attack and speed stat, a great priority move in the form of Mach Punch, good moves with Spore (learned by Shroomish only), Headbutt, Leech Seed, Sky Uppercut, and TMs like Brick Break, Sludge Bomb, and Bulk Up. A major problem, however, is that it has a mediocre special stat, and thus despite having access to Giga Drain, it can't really use it to its full potential.
All in all, these are suggestions, but my advice is just to go with what Pokémon you want. Gen 3 is a wonderful generation, and if it's your first playthrough you should experience it yourself.

ShadowHounder

Demon Doggo (Best Doggo)
Reaction score
Treecko and its evolutions should do fine against most of the gyms. It's great against Roxanne and Wallace, resists Wattson, and is only bad against Flannery and Winona, which by then you should have a good counter.

Limiting to the first four gyms does make me lose out on some personal favorites and limits a lot of potentially good Pokémon (Surf is obtainable after 5th gym, missing out on good water types). However, there should still be some pretty fun 'mons you can use

Recommended:
  • Ralts, obtainable at Route 102, evolves fairly early into Kirlia (level 20). Learns Psychic at 26, and evolves into Gardevoir at 30. Gardevoir has solid Special Attack, Special Defense, and passable speed, and has great moves including Calm Mind (21, as Kirlia), both screens (TM), and Shock Wave and Thunderbolt (both TMs, with Shock Wave obtainable after Wattson). The only problem is that it's kinda useless for the Elite 4.
  • Zigzagoon, obtainable pretty much anywhere. Learns headbutt at level 15, which is pretty strong, but it's best use is as an HM slave when it evolves into Linoone (knowing Cut, Strength, Surf, and Rock Smash) and Pickup, which has a 10% chance to pick up some good items at the end of every trainer battle (from Ultra Balls and Super Potions to Rare Candies and PP Ups). Not the greatest to fight with, but great nonetheless
  • Makuhita, obtainable in Granite Cave near Dewford, evolves relatively early into Hariyama, which has a great HP and Attack stat but sup-par defenses. Vital Throw is a good early-game move that never misses but always hits last. It and its evolution Hariyama learns Fake Out and Belly Drum by leveling up, and Bulk Up, Brick Break, and Earthquake via TM (and HMs too, if you want). Oh, and it can somehow learn Surf, though I don't recommend it. There is a better fighting type later on in the game in the form of Medicham, however.
  • Zangoose, obtainable Route 114 before 4th gym, a much better normal type than Zangoose. Has solid normal type moves such as Slash (and Crush Claw, a stronger but less accurate Slash), Swords Dance, and good TMs such as Shadow Ball, Facade, and Brick Break. It's defenses are pretty frail, and there is one (imo) better normal type that would come up later
If you want a slightly more exhausting but worth it playthrough:
  • Numel, obtainable Route 112. Despite being 4x weak to water, it and its evolution Camerupt is still pretty great, being a great mix attacker and learning moves such as Dig (TM, obtainable before Flannery), Earthquake (level up and TM), Flamethrower (TM), and Eruption (level up), plus the gimmicky OHKO move Fissure at later levels. It's kinda hard to use up until the upper 30s, but it's still solid
  • Tentacool, which can be obtained right when you get the Old Rod at Dewford Town. It's initial movepool is pretty shallow, with its best move being at level 25, however it has a pretty decent moveset via TMs which includes Giga Drain (route 123), Ice Beam (Abandoned Ship), and Sludge Bomb (Dewford Town, after the 5th gym). It also is a great special tank with a solid 120 Special Defense, not to mention you can use it as an water HM slave if you really have to (not recommended, there are better HM slaves)
If you want an exhausting but definitely worth it playthrough:
  • Slakoth, a pain to level up and evolve because of it's ability Truant, but Slaking hits really hard, has a BST that's higher than some legendaries, and has great Normal-type moves in the form of TMs (like Strength and Facade), not to mention it's coverage with Earthquake, Shadow Ball, and Brick Break as learnable TM moves. The downside is, once again, Truant is a terrible ability and really hinders its power
  • Shroomish, also a pain to level up starting Level 36-ish and most likely nullified by Treecko, but it and its evolution Breloom have a great attack and speed stat, a great priority move in the form of Mach Punch, good moves with Spore (learned by Shroomish only), Headbutt, Leech Seed, Sky Uppercut, and TMs like Brick Break, Sludge Bomb, and Bulk Up. A major problem, however, is that it has a mediocre special stat, and thus despite having access to Giga Drain, it can't really use it to its full potential.
All in all, these are suggestions, but my advice is just to go with what Pokémon you want. Gen 3 is a wonderful generation, and if it's your first playthrough you should experience it yourself.
thanks... I'll keep these in mind for the run :3

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Hi, got a quick question regarding three different Grass Mons.

I'm doing a "challenge" of sorts in my restarted Y version, where I use mostly Mons that I've hatched from Eggs, regardless if said Mon is in the Kalos dex or not. However, these Eggs are mystery eggs, leftover from various breeding projects of the past, with the contents long since forgotten. My question is regarding three of these eggs that I just hatched. In short, I want to know which Grass Mon from these three eggs I should use for the run. They are: Bulbasaur (with Chlorophyll), Roselia, and Bellsprout. So, which one would be the best choice? All three of them are obviously Grass/Poison, they all know Egg Moves, and are, currently, at Lv1. If memory serves (as I don't have my 3DS on-hand atm) Bulbasaur has a Hardy Nature, Roselia has a Calm Nature, and Bellsprout has a Naive Nature. Which of these three should I use? And no, Mega Evolution should not be part of the equation, as I'm raising a hatched Riolu for that purpose. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hello,

So I decided to play Pokemon X since I got it a few days back from a sale, and I am still formulating my team. Seeing I am fresh off of playing Let's Go Pikachu, and went out an bread a good Pikachu for this team, and I also bread a Froakie with Protean (I still choose one in X, but replaced it with the Protean one). I need advice for the rest of the team. I never really played Pokemon X/Y since launch, so I want to use a team with just Pokemon from Kalos aside from Pikachu (B/c I'm weird like that). Any advice on who I can use for my team? So far my current team is this:
1) Pikachu (Female) Nature: Lonely
*Moves: Electro Ball, Volt Tackle, Thunder Shock, Quick Attack
*Hold Item: Light Ball (Thank you ORAS for giving one)
2) Froakie (Male) Nature: Hasty
*Moves: Bubble, Quick Attack, Toxic Spikes
*Hold Item: Expert Belt

Also for the record, I wanted to ask, I have a fully complete Alpha Sapphire copy, with a lot of Battle Points to use, so is it possible to teach a Gen 6 Pokemon a tutor move (that exists in XY) from ORAS and then trade it over to X/Y to use? Because I want Pikachu to have Iron Tail, and after a bit, I plan on using Gunk Shot on my Greninja if possible. Thanks and cheers!

Bob Fizzle

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
Hi, got a quick question regarding three different Grass Mons.

I'm doing a "challenge" of sorts in my restarted Y version, where I use mostly Mons that I've hatched from Eggs, regardless if said Mon is in the Kalos dex or not. However, these Eggs are mystery eggs, leftover from various breeding projects of the past, with the contents long since forgotten. My question is regarding three of these eggs that I just hatched. In short, I want to know which Grass Mon from these three eggs I should use for the run. They are: Bulbasaur (with Chlorophyll), Roselia, and Bellsprout. So, which one would be the best choice? All three of them are obviously Grass/Poison, they all know Egg Moves, and are, currently, at Lv1. If memory serves (as I don't have my 3DS on-hand atm) Bulbasaur has a Hardy Nature, Roselia has a Calm Nature, and Bellsprout has a Naive Nature. Which of these three should I use? And no, Mega Evolution should not be part of the equation, as I'm raising a hatched Riolu for that purpose. Thanks in advance.
Even if Bellsprout does have Chlorophyll, I feel like it is still outclassed by Bulbasaur; Venusaur has better bulk and speed than Victreebel, and the lower attack (82 vs 105) doesn't mean much after a Growth boost in Sun takes you to +2. If you want to run a Sunny Day user or Ninetales with Drought, then I'd recommend giving Venusaur a shot with Growth, Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain (or Solar Beam, but Giga Drain is better for longevity IMO and still works outside of sun) and Earthquake is a fun 4th move if you don't get lucky enough to get HP Fire.

If you don't want to use Sun, then I would definitely suggest Roserade, as she's the fastest and hardest hitter outside of Sun, and has decent special defense (further boosted by a Calm Nature, I might add). She doesn't get a lot of moves to work with outside of STABs (Really, Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam are her only worthwhile coverage moves, unless, again, you are lucky enough to have Hidden Power Fire), but she does get some nice utility moves in Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Toxic/Toxic Spikes, and even Aromatherapy (although her low HP and physical defense stats make it a little difficult for her to act as a cleric).

Hello,

So I decided to play Pokemon X since I got it a few days back from a sale, and I am still formulating my team. Seeing I am fresh off of playing Let's Go Pikachu, and went out an bread a good Pikachu for this team, and I also bread a Froakie with Protean (I still choose one in X, but replaced it with the Protean one). I need advice for the rest of the team. I never really played Pokemon X/Y since launch, so I want to use a team with just Pokemon from Kalos aside from Pikachu (B/c I'm weird like that). Any advice on who I can use for my team? So far my current team is this:
1) Pikachu (Female) Nature: Lonely
*Moves: Electro Ball, Volt Tackle, Thunder Shock, Quick Attack
*Hold Item: Light Ball (Thank you ORAS for giving one)
2) Froakie (Male) Nature: Hasty
*Moves: Bubble, Quick Attack, Toxic Spikes
*Hold Item: Expert Belt

Also for the record, I wanted to ask, I have a fully complete Alpha Sapphire copy, with a lot of Battle Points to use, so is it possible to teach a Gen 6 Pokemon a tutor move (that exists in XY) from ORAS and then trade it over to X/Y to use? Because I want Pikachu to have Iron Tail, and after a bit, I plan on using Gunk Shot on my Greninja if possible. Thanks and cheers!
If you really wanna use Pikachu well, then I would highly recommend the Electro Ball/Agility combo (and you could even go for Thunder Wave to further lay on the hurt with speed differences). His damage output is rather lacking otherwise, but I'll give you points for actually using a Pikachu.

Of course, your top priority then should be taking care of Ground, Grass, and Dragon types, which are conveniently all weak to Ice Beam. (On a very related note, this is why Electric/Ice, AKA "BoltBeam" is such a good combo; out of all existing type combinations, only Magnezone and Heat-Rotom resist both moves.) Unfortunately, Kalos did not introduce too many Ice types, so unless you want to give Aurorus or Avalugg a shot, you're stuck with sticking Ice Beam on Greninja (which is not a bad option if you have Protean).

You'll also want a strong Ground-type user to take care of opposing Electric types that could otherwise try to wall Pika (and having a way to beat Steels is always nice). Diggersby is a great choice if you can get its Hidden Ability in Huge Power, though admittedly, I'm not really familiar with the process for obtaining HAs in X/Y.

After that, you can either go full offense and fill your team with breakers and sweepers, or you might choose to take a balanced approach and add some bulkier 'mons, maybe a couple of U-turn or Volt Switch users that can take hits and pivot around the opponent's moves. Some personal favorites:
-Hawlucha was my favorite sweeper from Ultra Sun/Moon because its combination of Unburden and Acrobatics meant it could hold a Sitrus Berry, set up a Swords Dance, and then eat the berry to boost its speed and have a 110-power STAB move
-Malamar is fun to use because Contrary + Superpower, or just Topsy-Turvy your opponent's buffs into debuffs
-Aegislash, although I'll let you decide how you feel about that one; personally, I think Stance Change + Kings Shield makes things too easy
-Talonflame: Swords Dance + Gale Wings + Brave Bird = death
-Slurpuff: Similar to Hawlucha in that Belly Drum + Sitrus Berry + Unburden (Hidden Ability on this 'mon) = death
-Trevenant and Gourgeist (Super) are both great defensive 'mons with plenty of resistances and annoying support moves like Leech Seed + Will-o-Wisp

Captain Hawlucha

Reaction score
@ CynthiaLover

I vote Roselia. Since there has to be sunlight to activate Bulbasaur's Chlorophyll. I'd personally prefer boosting the Pokemon with vitamins and juice rather than spend time in battle setting up sunlight.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Well, sadly, Y was a bust. I got as far as Korrina before finally giving up. I just can't really get into XY, as it feels just like RBY with a French accent, and I loath RBY at this point. Plus it has a really bad case of idiot plot, and I like having an actual story to enjoy throughout a game, so that kinda sunk it. So, thank you to everyone who tried to help me with the Grass Mon conundrum, I appreciate it.

Which brings us to my newest game attempt: UltraSun. Granted, I did try a run earlier, but I wasn't too satisfied with what I was doing, so I put everything of worth in the Bank and restarted it. I've already started my rebooted attempt and so far so good. I just got past Ilama's trial with my current team of Torracat, Trumbeak, Hawlucha, Noibat, Zorua, and (Own Tempo bred) Rockruff. Trumbeak is just temporary while Noibat and Zorua are potential long-term members, but I'm on the fence about them. Especially since I want to balance my team out more, as well as create a potential Grass/Fire/Water core. So, that brings me to my current question: What Grass/Water Mons should I use? I've got a few ideas, and I'm willing to breed for them (especially if they come late) in order to keep the team roughly at the same level. Some ideas I've had are as followed:

Water
Vaporeon
Wishiwashi
Araquanid
Golisopod

Grass
A-Exeggutor
Lurantis
Leafeon

These are just some ideas I've thought of. If someone has any other suggestions, please feel free to post them. And if anyone has any other ideas for other teammates outside of the Grass/Fire/Water core, or even in replacement for one of them, fire away. Thanks in advance.

Bob Fizzle

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
Well, sadly, Y was a bust. I got as far as Korrina before finally giving up. I just can't really get into XY, as it feels just like RBY with a French accent, and I loath RBY at this point. Plus it has a really bad case of idiot plot, and I like having an actual story to enjoy throughout a game, so that kinda sunk it. So, thank you to everyone who tried to help me with the Grass Mon conundrum, I appreciate it.

Which brings us to my newest game attempt: UltraSun. Granted, I did try a run earlier, but I wasn't too satisfied with what I was doing, so I put everything of worth in the Bank and restarted it. I've already started my rebooted attempt and so far so good. I just got past Ilama's trial with my current team of Torracat, Trumbeak, Hawlucha, Noibat, Zorua, and (Own Tempo bred) Rockruff. Trumbeak is just temporary while Noibat and Zorua are potential long-term members, but I'm on the fence about them. Especially since I want to balance my team out more, as well as create a potential Grass/Fire/Water core. So, that brings me to my current question: What Grass/Water Mons should I use? I've got a few ideas, and I'm willing to breed for them (especially if they come late) in order to keep the team roughly at the same level. Some ideas I've had are as followed:

Water
Vaporeon
Wishiwashi
Araquanid
Golisopod

Grass
A-Exeggutor
Lurantis
Leafeon

These are just some ideas I've thought of. If someone has any other suggestions, please feel free to post them. And if anyone has any other ideas for other teammates outside of the Grass/Fire/Water core, or even in replacement for one of them, fire away. Thanks in advance.
OOH, OOH, USE TOXAPEX!!!

Now that I've got that out of the way, aside from Pex being the most annoying PoS wall to deal with, you can breed Haze onto it, which turns the Totem bosses into easy mode by just eliminating their starting stat buffs. Besides giving a big F-U to the boss mechanics, it can also set toxic spikes to further screw up those pesky ally switch-ins, or just sit there and be fat while things die to poison, which is what it does best.

If you don't want easy mode, then I would probably go with Vaporeon or Araquanid for your fat water type. Vaporeon just doesn't die and can scald everything to death, while Araquanid just nukes all but the sturdiest water resists with Water Bubble-boosted Liquidation. The other advantage of Araquanid in particular is that it also helps cover Incineroar's weaknesses to ground and fighting moves with its Bug typing (though Pex also offers plenty of resists with its water/poison typing).

For Grass types, I personally would recommend Exeggutor if you want to take the time to raise it properly. I just caught one as an Exeggutor for my USM team, and I found myself really missing some of the moves it could only learn as Exeggcute (namely, the lethal Toxic + Leech Seed combo). Exeggutor's bulk and typing give it plenty of opportunities to switch in, but it really needs seeds to stay healthy, since its damage output is rather lackluster. Dhelmise and Trevenant are also worth considering for their secondary Ghost typing. Dhelmise offers more offensive presence, while Trevenant gets very annoying defensively with Leech Seed + Will-o-Wisp and can still hit hard with Horn Leech + Shadow Force.

Cradily is also an interesting choice. Grass/rock has a hard time eating up some of the things that Grass is traditionally supposed to resist, like water and ground moves, but it also makes it easier for Cradily to take on opposing rock and flying types which would normally give it trouble (though stacking a fighting weakness with Incineroar might not be desirable).

Some other thoughts for the rest of your team:

If you choose Araquanid, then you'll want at least one, probably two, ways to deal with rock-types, since you won't have too many good switch-ins to them. Your Grass-type 'mon can deal with them once it's in, but you might have some trouble switching it into a Rock Slide. You'll probably want a fighting, ground, or steel type to take care this. Likewise, if you choose 'Pex, then you will probably want another ground resist to ease the pressure on your grass 'mon to take care of all ground-types.

Your FWG core is going to be lacking a lot of speed one way or another, so having some fast offensive 'mons (and maybe some boosting moves) is probably a good idea. Noivern's high speed and decently high special attack makes it a good teammate for 'Pex, though you'll really want a steel or fighting type to help patch up the weaknesses to rock and ice types. Scizor would be great here, as SD+Bullet Punch can punch holes in teams (though, admittedly, you can't really get one until Poni Plains, and probably a good choice by Game Freak TBH). Lucario would be another great fit, but you don't encounter a Riolu until about the same time you encounter Scyther (and I somehow get the feeling you've used Lucario enough :p)