• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Hi, me again. I took up my SoulSilver run again (a lot of stuff has been happening here, so I didn't get any time to play until recently.) and I'm starting to build up my team. I started with Cyndaquil (now Quilava), and I caught an Onix, which I have plans to evolve her into a Steelix to act as the defensive Mon. My question is as followed: Should I evolve her into Steelix now or wait? I have a number of Metal Coats on-hand, stockpiled from past runs, so I have plenty of resources there, and, while I know Steelix isn't that great of a Mon, I want to give one a try for this run. So, should I evolve her right away or wait a bit? And what would be a good set of moves to run with her? I also have a lot of stockpiled TMs, so if a certain TM is needed, I can get it. Thanks in advance.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
Hi, me again. I took up my SoulSilver run again (a lot of stuff has been happening here, so I didn't get any time to play until recently.) and I'm starting to build up my team. I started with Cyndaquil (now Quilava), and I caught an Onix, which I have plans to evolve her into a Steelix to act as the defensive Mon. My question is as followed: Should I evolve her into Steelix now or wait? I have a number of Metal Coats on-hand, stockpiled from past runs, so I have plenty of resources there, and, while I know Steelix isn't that great of a Mon, I want to give one a try for this run. So, should I evolve her right away or wait a bit? And what would be a good set of moves to run with her? I also have a lot of stockpiled TMs, so if a certain TM is needed, I can get it. Thanks in advance.
Just evolve it already cause Onix hits like a wet noodle.

I'd say Iron Head, Earthquake, Crunch and Stone Edge/Rock Slide. Should you see no use for either Crunch or Stone Edge/Rock Slide, Explosion could be a nice option for big neutral damage as last resort.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Aaaaaand here we go again. I started a Platinum run for old times sake, as well as to experiment with some new ideas, and I need some advice on two teammates this time.

First off, I plan to catch a Drifloon as my flyer, as I've used Staraptor to death (I do love Staraptor, mind), and I want to try something different. I have yet to free the Windworks, as I just started yesterday, and I'm about to face Roark, so it'll be a bit before I have access to Drifloon. Now, the question is: what would be a good setup for it? This includes nature and ability (thought those aren't guarantees), and TM/tutor moves are more than welcome, as Platinum has Move Tutors scattered about the region instead of just post-game like most Move Tutors in most games.

Secondly, for my defensive Mon, I'm going with my favorite Sinnoh fossil: Shieldon. I have the right ID number for digging up Shield Fossils, so I'm not concerned about that. So, like Drifloon, I need some ideas for it. Nature, moves, and whatnot are what I'm looking for. And, likewise, TM and Tutors are welcome. If someone feels it would be worth the time, I'd also be willing to breed one for Egg Moves and such, though I'd prefer to use the fossil, but I will breed one if someone recommends it.

Thanks in advance to whoever decides to answer. I know these guys aren't top-tier Mons, but it's mostly for a fun run, as well as to just mess around with some ideas that recently came to mind. Thanks again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I recommend getting Will-O-Wisp on Drifloon. I think it's best to go with Bold Nature, unless you are going to run around leveling up the Pokemon where you are significantly stronger based on level alone, then you can go with whatever SpAtk Nature. But I think you'll need Wisp to beat him. Also get Earthquake on Shieldon.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
And I have another question. I'm taking a short break from Platinum to continue where I left off in Soul Silver (I actually forgot about it, but due to all the migraines I've been having lately, it's easy to see why). I caught an Exeggcute, and I want to know when would be the best time to evolve him? As in, what level (and by that extension, what moves are the most desirable) would be most ideal to evolve him? I already traded over a Psychic TM from another game, so I don't have to worry about not giving him a decent Psychic move later on, but I wanted to know if/when would be most ideal for him to evolve. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot one thing. In the same vein, when would be a good time to evolve a Poliwhirl into Poliwrath? My Poliwag just evolved, and I want to know if/when is a good time for it to evolve. Double thanks in advance.

Last edited:

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
And I have another question. I'm taking a short break from Platinum to continue where I left off in Soul Silver (I actually forgot about it, but due to all the migraines I've been having lately, it's easy to see why). I caught an Exeggcute, and I want to know when would be the best time to evolve him? As in, what level (and by that extension, what moves are the most desirable) would be most ideal to evolve him? I already traded over a Psychic TM from another game, so I don't have to worry about not giving him a decent Psychic move later on, but I wanted to know if/when would be most ideal for him to evolve. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot one thing. In the same vein, when would be a good time to evolve a Poliwhirl into Poliwrath? My Poliwag just evolved, and I want to know if/when is a good time for it to evolve. Double thanks in advance.
I think Poliwhirl is off fine evolving immediately. It's learnset isn't all that and definitely not worth waiting for when it gets the better moves by tutor or TM/HM.

Same thing for Exeggutor. I would wait until like 23 after it learned the Powders. Since Exeggcute's only other relevant move is Psychic at level 47. So basically the same story as with Poliwrath.

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
Sophie just hatched a 6 IV Ditto should we keep it or trade it for a event mon?

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
Always upsets me how bad Onix/Steelix is needed a complete rework of stats.

Empoleon Fanatic
Reaction score
For those of you who frequent the travelog/let's play thread, you'll know I'm currently doing an NPC character playthrough of Emerald as the SinJoh Battle Arcade Frontier Brain, Dahlia. This is the team I have planned out, at the time of making this post I only have the Torchic and Lotad for the first two members, so far, so the other members are subject to change as far as Natures and movesets go, everyone let me know what you think, I think each member is solid and has clear strengths and purposes in battle, I really like the synergy between Ludicolo taking care of anything that walls Zapdos and both benefiting from Rain Dance, anyways, here's the team:

1. Blaziken

Nature: Naïve

Ability: Blaze

Item: Scope Lens

EVs: 252 Speed, 100 Sp. Attack, 100 Attack, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Blaze Kick

-Sky Uppercut

-Thunder Punch

-Slash/Hidden Power (Ice)

2. Ludicolo

Nature: Modest

Ability: Swift Swim

Item: Leftovers

EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 152 HP, 104 Speed

Moveset:

-Surf

-Giga Drain

-Ice Beam

-Rain Dance

3. Medicham

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Pure Power

Item: Bright Powder/Choice Band

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moveset:

-Brick Break

-Shadow Ball

-Body Slam

-Double Team/Rock Slide

4. Dusclops

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Pressure

Item: Quick Claw

EVs: 252 Attack, 100 Defense, 100 Sp. Defense, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Shadow Ball

-Earthquake

-Confuse Ray

-Toxic

5. Togetic

Nature: Modest

Ability: Serene Grace

Item: King’s Rock

EVs: 252 Sp. Defense, 100 Defense, 100 Sp. Attack, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Flamethrower

-Water Pulse

-Psychic

-Thunder Wave

6. Zapdos

Nature: Timid

Ability: Pressure

Item: Magnet

EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moveset:

-Thunderbolt

-Thunder Wave

-Rain Dance

-Thunder

Keep in mind that since this is a character playthrough, I'm only going to be using these six Pokemon since they're the only Pokemon Dahlia uses, so please don't suggest any replacements, only changes to the above six Pokemon. Fire away! :giggle:

Horrible Story Writer
Reaction score
Just give me the game, and I will make a team for you.

Make sure to give me any specific details, like move sets, items, restrictions, starter choices

If you need a pokemon for a specific area, I will also do that.

Quote this to receive it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey guys, so planning on doing a run of Alpha Saphire before too long, thinking about doing the Treecko line, Macargo, Crawadaunt, Manectric, Breloom, and Flygon. Not yet sure about thier move sets quite yet. but I think this team does do pretty good type coverage. Treecko being good against Roxanne, Breloom being good against Norman,

Reaction score
Doing a run through on crystal from gbc trying a different route though noctowl or crobat

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Doing a run through on crystal from gbc trying a different route though noctowl or crobat
First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, out of the two, I'd go with Crobat. Noctowl doesn't get a lot of good moves in Gen 2, especially since the Physical/Special split isn't in effect yet (which means Normal and Flying moves are Physical, which is a field Noctowl clearly lacks). On the other hand, Crobat is a better Physical fighter to begin with, and since Flying and Poison are Physical moves in Gen 2, then it'll feed off its better stat. However, Crobat can't learn any Poison moves outside of Toxic in Gen 2, so it's Poison-type is virtually useless. Normally, I'd recommend using a different Flying Mon such as Fearow or Dodrio, since they get access to good moves that correspond with their types better (though the latter cannot be obtained until after Clair), but of the two choices you asked about, Crobat would be better, since moves like Fly, Wing Attack, Steel Wing, and so on would feed off its better attacking stat. Not saying that it's Special Attack is bad, as it is workable, it's just that Crobat functions better with Physical attacks over Special. Hope that helps.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but now it's my turn to ask a question. I'm doing an X run (finally found it and my Y version) and I was debating on a certain teammate. I caught a decent Croagunk (Male, Docile, Dry Skin) that I was wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment for an in-game team? I've been wanting to train a Croagunk for a while now but it often sits in the box due to the presence of another Fighting Mon, so now seems like a good time to try, but I want to know if it would be a good choice for an X run. I figured he can help against Grant, Ramos, Valerie, and Wulfrig, so that's why I'm wondering if I should try him out for a change of pace? If so, what moves would you lot recommend for him? Thanks in advance.

I ship 'em
Reaction score
Game being played: Alpha Sapphire
Team:
Sceptile (Mega) [@Sceptilite]
Type: Grass/Dragon
Ability: Ovegrow (Lightning Rod)

Leaf Blade
Dragon Claw
X-Scissor
Brick Break
Leaf Blade and Dragon Claw are your main stabs, X-Scissor and Night Slash will provide huge coverage.

Tentacruel
Type: Water/Poison
Ability: Clear Body

Surf
Sludge Bomb
Dive
Waterfall
Yeah, IGN was right. This region DOES have too much water. It turned our precious Tentacruel into a HM Slave.

Camerupt
Type: Fire/Ground
Ability: Solid Rock

Earthquake
Lava Plume
Rock Slide
Curse
Even I'm surprised it made it on the team. Rounding up our Grass-Fire-Water core, it definitely puts in some hits for the team, it's moveset full of stabs and level up moves.

Aggron
Type: Rock/Steel
Ability: Sturdy

Heavy Slam
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Surf
Aggron is another defensive wall for this team, like Tentacruel and Camerupt, will stay on field for a very long time.

Swellow
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Guts

Facade
Brave Bird
Fly
Reversal
Just a flyer.

Gardevoir
Type: Psychic/Fairy
Ability: Trace

Psychic
Moonblast
Thunderbolt
Magical Leaf
Rounding off this team, we have the model of Hoenn, Gardevoir herself!

I ship 'em
Reaction score
Serperior @ Miracle Seed
Type : Grass
Ability : Overgrow
Evolution method: Evolves at Level 36 from Servine, which evolves from Snivy at level 16
• Coil (Level-up)
• Leaf Blade (Level-up)
• Return (Nimbasa City)
• Dragon Tail (Prize for defeating Drayden)
____
Krookodile @ Blackglasses
Type : Ground / Dark
Ability : Moxie
Evolution method: Evolves from Krokorok at level 40, which evolves from Sandile at level 29
• Earthquake (Level-up)
• Crunch (Level-up)
• Outrage (level-up)
• Stone Edge (Challenger’s Cave)
____
Crustle @ Expert Belt
Type : Bug / Rock
Ability : Sturdy
Evolution method: Evolves at level 34 from Dwebble
• Rock Slide (Level-up)
• X Scissor (Level-up)
• Earthquake (Relic Castle)
• Swords Dance (Dreamyard)
____
Swanna @ Sharp Beak
Type : Water / Flying
Ability : Keen Eye
Evolution method: Evolves at level 35 from Ducklett
• Fly (Free)
• Surf (Free)
• Brave Bird (Level-Up)
• Ice Beam (Giant Chasm)
____
Chandelure @ Charcoal
Type : Fire / Ghost
Ability : Flash Fire
Evolution method: Evolves from Lampent with a Dusk Stone (Route 10), which evolves from Litwick at level 41
• Flamethrower
• Shadow Ball
• Energy Ball
• Calm Mind
____
Haxorus @ Muscle Band
Type : Dragon
Ability : Mold Breaker
Evolution method: Evolves from Fraxure at level 48, which evolves from Axew at level 38
• Brick Break
• Earthquake
• Dragon Claw
• Swords Dance

"The Purest Excitement"
Reaction score
What's a good move set for a mega glalie in omega ruby

It's at level 60 and about learn sheer cold

But I have it knowing
Freeze dry
Head butt
Blizzard
Crunch

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
What's a good move set for a mega glalie in omega ruby

It's at level 60 and about learn sheer cold

But I have it knowing
Freeze dry
Head butt
Blizzard
Crunch
Well, for starters, replace Headbutt with Return. Not only is Return stronger at max happiness than Headbutt, but it can capitalize on Refrigerate better. Plus, Glalie isn't usually fast enough to get Headbutt's flinch effect off reliably, so you're better off trading it for Return. Secondly, replace Blizzard with Ice Beam. Blizzard may be more powerful, but unless you have a Mon to use Hail, that shoddy accuracy makes it too much of a dice roll. Ice Beam may be slightly weaker, but 100% accuracy makes a big difference. Don't bother with Sheer Cold, either, as it's way too situational to be useful. The rest of what you've got is fine. Shadow Ball is another possible option over Crunch, but since they pretty much do the same thing in terms of opponents it faces, it's up to you.

I ship 'em
Reaction score
Here, I need help for a better moveset for my Ultra Sun team:
Incineroar @ Incinium Z
Typing: Fire/Dark
Trait: Blaze
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Fire Punch
-Darkest Lariat
-Thunder Punch
-Brick Break

Tsareena @ Grassium Z
Typing: Grass
Trait: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Trop Kick
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stomp
-Zen Headbutt

Mudsdale @ Groundium Z
Typing: Ground
Trait: Stamina
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam
-Mega Kick
-Rock Slide

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Typing: Rock
Trait: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
-Stone Edge
-Accelerock
-Crunch
-Rock Climb

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Typing: Water/Poison
Trait: Merciless
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spd)
-Liquidation
-Poison Jab
-Toxic
-Venom Drench

Ribombee @ Fairium Z
Typing: Bug/Fairy
Trait: Shield Dust
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
-Pollen Puff
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Quiver Dance

Last edited:
Horrible Story Writer
Reaction score
Here, I need help for a better moveset for my Ultra Sun team:
Incineroar @ Incinium Z
View attachment 126990
Typing: Fire/Dark
Trait: Blaze
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Fire Punch
-Darkest Lariat
-Thunder Punch
-Brick Break

Tsareena @ Grassium Z
View attachment 126993
Typing: Grass
Trait: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Trop Kick
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stomp
-Zen Headbutt

Mudsdale @ Groundium Z
View attachment 126992
Typing: Ground
Trait: Stamina
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam
-Mega Kick
-Rock Slide

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
View attachment 126994
Typing: Rock
Trait: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
-Stone Edge
-Accelerock
-Crunch
-Rock Climb

Toxapex @ Leftovers
View attachment 126991
Typing: Water/Poison
Trait: Merciless
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spd)
-Liquidation
-Poison Jab
-Toxic
-Venom Drench

Ribombee @ Fairium Z
View attachment 126995
Typing: Bug/Fairy
Trait: Shield Dust
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
-Pollen Puff
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Quiver Dance
Well, if this was me, I'd try to have secondary items for each of the Z Move users so that they aren't completely naked when a Z Move is used. But thats a nitpick

Now with ribombee, you maybe should use Bug Buzz over Pollen Puff. Even though they both do the same damage and same accuracy, Bugg Buzz has the added chance to lower Special Defense which gives it an edge. And plus unless you wanna use it in doubles, Pollen Puff is practically weaker than Bug Buzz.

If you have Swords Dance, replace Rock Climb with that. Rock Climb can miss which gives it a downside. And since you have a Jolly Nature and Lycanrocs speed is already good, Accelerock is basically an extra move. But if you want to keep it for the Z Move, thats fine