• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Hi, me again. I took up my SoulSilver run again (a lot of stuff has been happening here, so I didn't get any time to play until recently.) and I'm starting to build up my team. I started with Cyndaquil (now Quilava), and I caught an Onix, which I have plans to evolve her into a Steelix to act as the defensive Mon. My question is as followed: Should I evolve her into Steelix now or wait? I have a number of Metal Coats on-hand, stockpiled from past runs, so I have plenty of resources there, and, while I know Steelix isn't that great of a Mon, I want to give one a try for this run. So, should I evolve her right away or wait a bit? And what would be a good set of moves to run with her? I also have a lot of stockpiled TMs, so if a certain TM is needed, I can get it. Thanks in advance.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
Hi, me again. I took up my SoulSilver run again (a lot of stuff has been happening here, so I didn't get any time to play until recently.) and I'm starting to build up my team. I started with Cyndaquil (now Quilava), and I caught an Onix, which I have plans to evolve her into a Steelix to act as the defensive Mon. My question is as followed: Should I evolve her into Steelix now or wait? I have a number of Metal Coats on-hand, stockpiled from past runs, so I have plenty of resources there, and, while I know Steelix isn't that great of a Mon, I want to give one a try for this run. So, should I evolve her right away or wait a bit? And what would be a good set of moves to run with her? I also have a lot of stockpiled TMs, so if a certain TM is needed, I can get it. Thanks in advance.
Just evolve it already cause Onix hits like a wet noodle.

I'd say Iron Head, Earthquake, Crunch and Stone Edge/Rock Slide. Should you see no use for either Crunch or Stone Edge/Rock Slide, Explosion could be a nice option for big neutral damage as last resort.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Aaaaaand here we go again. I started a Platinum run for old times sake, as well as to experiment with some new ideas, and I need some advice on two teammates this time.

First off, I plan to catch a Drifloon as my flyer, as I've used Staraptor to death (I do love Staraptor, mind), and I want to try something different. I have yet to free the Windworks, as I just started yesterday, and I'm about to face Roark, so it'll be a bit before I have access to Drifloon. Now, the question is: what would be a good setup for it? This includes nature and ability (thought those aren't guarantees), and TM/tutor moves are more than welcome, as Platinum has Move Tutors scattered about the region instead of just post-game like most Move Tutors in most games.

Secondly, for my defensive Mon, I'm going with my favorite Sinnoh fossil: Shieldon. I have the right ID number for digging up Shield Fossils, so I'm not concerned about that. So, like Drifloon, I need some ideas for it. Nature, moves, and whatnot are what I'm looking for. And, likewise, TM and Tutors are welcome. If someone feels it would be worth the time, I'd also be willing to breed one for Egg Moves and such, though I'd prefer to use the fossil, but I will breed one if someone recommends it.

Thanks in advance to whoever decides to answer. I know these guys aren't top-tier Mons, but it's mostly for a fun run, as well as to just mess around with some ideas that recently came to mind. Thanks again.

Our Wasted Years

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I recommend getting Will-O-Wisp on Drifloon. I think it's best to go with Bold Nature, unless you are going to run around leveling up the Pokemon where you are significantly stronger based on level alone, then you can go with whatever SpAtk Nature. But I think you'll need Wisp to beat him. Also get Earthquake on Shieldon.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
And I have another question. I'm taking a short break from Platinum to continue where I left off in Soul Silver (I actually forgot about it, but due to all the migraines I've been having lately, it's easy to see why). I caught an Exeggcute, and I want to know when would be the best time to evolve him? As in, what level (and by that extension, what moves are the most desirable) would be most ideal to evolve him? I already traded over a Psychic TM from another game, so I don't have to worry about not giving him a decent Psychic move later on, but I wanted to know if/when would be most ideal for him to evolve. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot one thing. In the same vein, when would be a good time to evolve a Poliwhirl into Poliwrath? My Poliwag just evolved, and I want to know if/when is a good time for it to evolve. Double thanks in advance.

Last edited:

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
And I have another question. I'm taking a short break from Platinum to continue where I left off in Soul Silver (I actually forgot about it, but due to all the migraines I've been having lately, it's easy to see why). I caught an Exeggcute, and I want to know when would be the best time to evolve him? As in, what level (and by that extension, what moves are the most desirable) would be most ideal to evolve him? I already traded over a Psychic TM from another game, so I don't have to worry about not giving him a decent Psychic move later on, but I wanted to know if/when would be most ideal for him to evolve. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot one thing. In the same vein, when would be a good time to evolve a Poliwhirl into Poliwrath? My Poliwag just evolved, and I want to know if/when is a good time for it to evolve. Double thanks in advance.
I think Poliwhirl is off fine evolving immediately. It's learnset isn't all that and definitely not worth waiting for when it gets the better moves by tutor or TM/HM.

Same thing for Exeggutor. I would wait until like 23 after it learned the Powders. Since Exeggcute's only other relevant move is Psychic at level 47. So basically the same story as with Poliwrath.

Weiss

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
Sophie just hatched a 6 IV Ditto should we keep it or trade it for a event mon?

Weiss

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
Always upsets me how bad Onix/Steelix is needed a complete rework of stats.

EmpoleonProd

Empoleon Fanatic
Reaction score
For those of you who frequent the travelog/let's play thread, you'll know I'm currently doing an NPC character playthrough of Emerald as the SinJoh Battle Arcade Frontier Brain, Dahlia. This is the team I have planned out, at the time of making this post I only have the Torchic and Lotad for the first two members, so far, so the other members are subject to change as far as Natures and movesets go, everyone let me know what you think, I think each member is solid and has clear strengths and purposes in battle, I really like the synergy between Ludicolo taking care of anything that walls Zapdos and both benefiting from Rain Dance, anyways, here's the team:

1. Blaziken

Nature: Naïve

Ability: Blaze

Item: Scope Lens

EVs: 252 Speed, 100 Sp. Attack, 100 Attack, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Blaze Kick

-Sky Uppercut

-Thunder Punch

-Slash/Hidden Power (Ice)

2. Ludicolo

Nature: Modest

Ability: Swift Swim

Item: Leftovers

EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 152 HP, 104 Speed

Moveset:

-Surf

-Giga Drain

-Ice Beam

-Rain Dance

3. Medicham

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Pure Power

Item: Bright Powder/Choice Band

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moveset:

-Brick Break

-Shadow Ball

-Body Slam

-Double Team/Rock Slide

4. Dusclops

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Pressure

Item: Quick Claw

EVs: 252 Attack, 100 Defense, 100 Sp. Defense, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Shadow Ball

-Earthquake

-Confuse Ray

-Toxic

5. Togetic

Nature: Modest

Ability: Serene Grace

Item: King’s Rock

EVs: 252 Sp. Defense, 100 Defense, 100 Sp. Attack, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Flamethrower

-Water Pulse

-Psychic

-Thunder Wave

6. Zapdos

Nature: Timid

Ability: Pressure

Item: Magnet

EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moveset:

-Thunderbolt

-Thunder Wave

-Rain Dance

-Thunder

Keep in mind that since this is a character playthrough, I'm only going to be using these six Pokemon since they're the only Pokemon Dahlia uses, so please don't suggest any replacements, only changes to the above six Pokemon. Fire away! :giggle:

UnofficialBlaine

Weird Person
Reaction score
Just give me the game, and I will make a team for you.

Make sure to give me any specific details, like move sets, items, restrictions, starter choices

If you need a pokemon for a specific area, I will also do that.

Quote this to receive it

Last edited:

Lightwarrior97

Reaction score
Hey guys, so planning on doing a run of Alpha Saphire before too long, thinking about doing the Treecko line, Macargo, Crawadaunt, Manectric, Breloom, and Flygon. Not yet sure about thier move sets quite yet. but I think this team does do pretty good type coverage. Treecko being good against Roxanne, Breloom being good against Norman,