• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Work from home, please!
Reaction score
Well, if this was me, I'd try to have secondary items for each of the Z Move users so that they aren't completely naked when a Z Move is used. But thats a nitpick

Now with ribombee, you maybe should use Bug Buzz over Pollen Puff. Even though they both do the same damage and same accuracy, Bugg Buzz has the added chance to lower Special Defense which gives it an edge. And plus unless you wanna use it in doubles, Pollen Puff is practically weaker than Bug Buzz.

If you have Swords Dance, replace Rock Climb with that. Rock Climb can miss which gives it a downside. And since you have a Jolly Nature and Lycanrocs speed is already good, Accelerock is basically an extra move. But if you want to keep it for the Z Move, thats fine
thanks for the feedback, I think I'll use Pollen Puff though just because of narrative significance XD
But Stone Edge is actually what the Z-Move counts on, so I'll just get rid of Rock Climb for Swords Dance.
Okay, thanks again.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Got a quick question regarding a choice between two teammates. I attempted an Egglocke in Ultra Sun due to having a ton of leftover eggs in another version, but after about 15 eggs I gave up, as it was becoming too much of a chore, turning it into a regular playthrough (though still using the hatched Mons). But, regarding that, I wanted to know which of these two Mons would be a better choice for the playthrough: Tauros or Alolan Grimer? The rest of my team consists of Torracat, Rockruff, Dhelmise, Wimpod, and Hawlucha (all hatched from the eggs in the attempted Egglocke), and I just made it to Route 4. That's my question: between Tauros and Alolan Grimer, which would be a better choice for the playthrough? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I'm indecisive about my Platinum Pokemon.

I want a wall and have 2 candidates in Duskull and Umbreon.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
I'm indecisive about my Platinum Pokemon.

I want a wall and have 2 candidates in Duskull and Umbreon.
The Duskull line is better for that, as they also have at least decent attacking stats, making them more useful than a straight-up wall/staller like Umbreon. Normally I'd say keep Dusclops and not evolve into Dusknoir, but since the Evolite doesn't exist in Platinum, which is what gives Dusclops its power, you're better off going with Dusknoir in that regard. Ghost is also a pretty powerful and useful and useful type, whether it be for annoying opponents with status ailments or near perfect accuracy moves (all Ghost moves during Gen 4 had 100% accuracy). Plus, as an extra note, Dusnoir's Pressure ability can help stall out the PP of certain foes. So, go with Duskull.

EDIT: Almost forgot one thing. Dusknoir is a trade + item evolution, so you'll need either a second game/DS console or a nearby friend to do the trade. Fortunately, you will get a Reaper Cloth near Snowpoint City, just before you enter Lake Acuity, so that bit won't be an issue. Even if you can't trade, Dusclops is still a solid Mon that can still get the job done if needed. Just FYI on that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks.

I can't trade (unless I'm wrong about Nintendo shutting down the GTS for older games). But Dusclops should work fine.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Thanks.

I can't trade (unless I'm wrong about Nintendo shutting down the GTS for older games). But Dusclops should work fine.
You're welcome. And you're not wrong about Nintendo shutting down the GTS, as, if memory serves, it is/was implemented this month for 3DS-era games (DS-era games like Platinum lost that ages ago). Anyway, another good thing about Dusclops is that, unlike Dusknoir, Dusclops can run either Attack or Special Attack, as they're both nearly even (only a 10 point difference between them). So you can run either stat, or both even, so it's a bit more flexible with its moves, while still retaining good bulk. Hope that helps.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
How good is Rotom without the appliance forms?
On it's own, it's decent, but there are better Electric and Ghost Mons out there. Later gens were kinder to Rotom, giving it tools like Volt Switch and such. The appliance forms are were it gets access to its true potential, so it's not worth running a vanilla Rotom unless you have access to the secret room (again, later games and gens made that bit easier, giving you access to the various appliances without a one-time event). So, in short, don't use a regular Rotom, as it's vastly inferior to its appliance forms. It's still decent overall, but Mons like Luxray and Electrivire outclass it as an Elec Mon when used in its base form. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
So I'm about to hit Hearthome City after exploring Wayward Cave and Fantina has always given me trouble due to Mismagius. My team is currently Monferno and Gligar with Psyduck and Staravia as temporary members.

Reaction score
I'm making a Doubles Battle Tower team (in Sword and Shield) featuring dual Telepathy Noivern running Boomburst, as I think it would be both fun and effective. I'm still breeding them up and getting their IVs right, but I'm looking for advice on the moveset and held items.

The only non-negotiable is that they both run Boomburst. I was thinking of doing something like the following:

Noivern A
Boomburst
Heat Wave
Sunny Day
Focus Blast

Noivern B
Boomburst
Heat Wave
Tailwind
Solar Beam

However I'm concerned about the lack of accuracy on Focus Blast, and I'm not convinced Tailwind is needed at all since they're so fast to start and will have maxed speed EVs. I'm also not sure what the best held item would be for them. Dual throat sprays is the easy answer, but are there better options?

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
I need some advice on a Water Mon to use in a Sword playthrough. I currently have a Binacle around Lv33 (a bit overleveled, I admit, but I was grinding on G-Stunfisks to get my Starter to evolve, so it got pretty high leveled as a result), and I'm going to face Kabu soon in this run. However, I was wondering if I should keep Binacle after Kabu or swap it out for a Dracovish when I get access to it (I have the necessary fossils from the cross-version exclusive Max Raid event). Given that, if I keep Binacle (and later Barbaricle) it'll give me three Mons weak to Ground, while Dracovish won't have that issue. Both are also good counters to Leon's Charizard later on, though, if memory serves, Charizard runs Solarbeam, which could be an issue for Barbaricle (I'd check the wiki, but the adds that overtake the screen make it obnoxiously hard to navigate). But, what do you guys think? Should I keep Barnicle/Barbaricle or switch to Dracovish when I get access to it later (as I, obviously, can't get it before Kabu)? Thanks in advance.

Finally with a Pokémon avatar
Reaction score
Personally I'd probably go with Dracovish--Water/Dragon has only two weaknesses, making Dracovish a reliable Pokémon who can fight at least evenly with most enemies, and Fishious Rend is pretty crazy when you're faster than the enemy (admittedly, Dracovish isn't the fastest in the game).
Plus Charizard does have Solar Beam so Barbaracle can't really counter him while Charizard's G-maxed.