• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

So I've been wanting to get Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee. I see plenty of candidates for physical attackers, but don't see as many special attackers.

My ideal special attacker is someone who's special attack is greater than or equal to their attack and has another stat they excel in.

So I've been wanting to get Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee. I see plenty of candidates for physical attackers, but don't see as many special attackers.

My ideal special attacker is someone who's special attack is greater than or equal to their attack and has another stat they excel in.
Starmie is a great candidate that also excels in speed. Alakazam and Gengar are ones I would recommend as well.

Okay, I'm going to be starting another White run soon (I just need to get past all the events that'll happen this week first) and I wanted some ideas for teammates. Naturally, I'll be starting with Tepig (later Emboar) as it's the best of the trio (Snivy is borderline useless without Contrary and Oshawott is too middle-of-the-road for my needs, plus I excel with Fire starters anyway), but I'm running blanks for the rest of the team. I'm thinking of using Mons I haven't used either in a long time or at all (at least in Gen 5 runs, anyway) to spice things up. I'm also considering the possibility of adding in legends like the Swords of Justice into the ranks, since they are (or at least were) massive competitive staples in the past, even though it might end up with overlapping types, but I'm not sure yet. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance and take care.

Well, since you want to use mons you never use or haven't used in a long while, it might be handy if we had some insight into mons that qualify for that.

Starmie is a great candidate that also excels in speed. Alakazam and Gengar are ones I would recommend as well.

These are great shouts - Jynx and Jolteon fit snugly into this category, too, though the former is extremely fragile and the latter has a fairly barren movepool.

If you were interested in something on the more sluggish end of the spectrum, Exeggutor, Vileplume, Magneton and Omastar are all quite interesting, depending on how long you want to wait to get your mitts on them.

Well, since you want to use mons you never use or haven't used in a long while, it might be handy if we had some insight into mons that qualify for that.

Well, some Mons I use fairly regularly in Gen 5 runs (or at least BW runs) are ones like Carracosta, Gigalith, Excadrill, Cofagrigus, Escavalier, Amoonguss, Braviary, and Galvantula. Some of the more less common ones I use are Unfezant, Jellicent, Krookodile, Sigilyph, Scrafty, and Simipour. And some of the ones I've never used are Conkeldurr, Sawk, Swords of Justice, Simisage, Scolipede, Reuniclus, Ferrothorn, Cryogonal, and Bisharp. There are others, these are just the ones off the top of my head (and the ones I actually know how to spell), and considering how big the Unova dex is, there are a LOT of options to choose from. Does that help?

I'd say something like...

Samurott (I know you said you don't like him, but physical Samurott is something I live by when playing through BW. He's amazing)
Scolipede (Really strong mon. Doesn't get access to Speed Boost yet but even without he's amazing)
Bisharp/Ferrothorn (I've used hte latter myself. Give him a Rocky Helmet and you're good.)
Reuniclus
Simisage (Used this in BW2 for one run, albeit a physical variant)
Slot for whatever you'd like. (Something like Chandelure or Eelektross worked wonders for me, but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to raise these during the story.)

I personally like running a 3/3 split in terms of attackers (Which may be noticeable by this recommendation) but that's to each his own. Hopefully this helps out a bit.

How good is Wailord? Does its massive HP compensate for its low defenses?

I've used one during my ORAS runs and it makes for a pretty decent Water Mon. Plus, it also learns all the Water HMs (even learning Dive naturally) so it makes it a good HM user whenever you have to deal with more than two Water HMs. It's defenses are a bit lacking so don't expect it to take too many heavy hits, but the HP pool it has does lessen the blows to more manageable levels. Plus, being pure Water is a overall solid type, so that limits what can hurt it heavily. It also grows pretty quickly, so it'll evolve sooner than you think (especially if you have the EXP Share in later gens). Overall, Wailord is a pretty good Mon and can hold all your Water HMs with ease (if you're in a game with HMs). I'd say go for it, as it is a pretty fun Mon to use that can throw its weight around.

Thanks.

I ask since I plan to get Sword or Shield for Christmas. I'm leaning towards Shield since Growlithe and Eevee have higher encounter rates and has Lotad as a version exclusive.

How are the following?
Coalossal
Drednaw
Grapploct
Corviknight
Boltund
Noivern
Clefable
Jellicent
Mantine
Alcremie
Ribombee
Orbeetle

Last edited:
Need some help on a teammate for my Platinum run. I'm thinking of using Roserade for this run, as I need a Grass-type to help counter the Water weakness some of my Mons have. However, I'm not sure of a moveset to use with it. I know that moves like Sludge Bomb are a must, but I'm drawing blanks on other moves. I'm not looking for anything super-competitive, and I'm not breeding for moves in this game, I just want some ideas for an in-game playthrough. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Need some help on a teammate for my Platinum run. I'm thinking of using Roserade for this run, as I need a Grass-type to help counter the Water weakness some of my Mons have. However, I'm not sure of a moveset to use with it. I know that moves like Sludge Bomb are a must, but I'm drawing blanks on other moves. I'm not looking for anything super-competitive, and I'm not breeding for moves in this game, I just want some ideas for an in-game playthrough. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
A Roserade I used in Pt had Energy Ball for STAB and Shadow Ball for Psychic-types. It also knew Synthesis for recovery - Roselia learns it at lv.46 so you might want to go for Giga Drain (TM) instead if that's too late.

Magical Leaf if you're worried about accuracy and Toxic Spikes for the poison chip damage, especially since poison types don't have the guaranteed accuracy for Toxic. And like Pyrax said, Shadow Ball to fight psychic types.

I forgot about Armoatherapy in case you need to heal status effects and items either aren't an option or are ineffective.

Got a question regarding a member of my Sword team. In this file I have a Kommo-o that I'm still ironing out some ideas for. She's Level 49, has a Naïve nature, Bulletproof for her ability, and knows the moves Draco Meteor, Close Combat, Poison Jab, and Dragon Dance. Does this sound like a pretty good setup or should I rearrange things a bit more? I've got access to all the TRs in a couple of other files, along with both Ability Capsules and Patches, and every Nature Mint, so I can very easily trade any over to customize her if need be. Thanks in advance.

Depends if you want it to be geared more towards competitive or just casual. I don't think Draco Meteor is needed for a casual playthrough (Dragon Pulse or Dragon Claw should suffice as well, especially since you also got Dragon Dance. There's also Clanging Scales if you don't mind the Defense Drop). If you want a more competitive one and plan to use it as such, physically defensive Kommo'o seems to be the most popular/efficient one to use.

Right now, without much customization, mixed is possible with Clanging Scales, Close Combat, Poison Jab and then a 4th slot for whatever you want.

Last edited:
Okay, new question. I've put my most recent Sword run aside for now as I've taken care of both the league and Swordward/Shieldbert post-game story, so I picked up my Platinum run again. This time I was wondering about a certain move for one of my Mons. I currently have a Level 39 Monferno, as I've been holding him back from evolving to possibly learn Slack Off. My question is this: Should I keep holding him back for Slack Off or should I just evolve him into Infernape and forget all about Slack Off? His other moves are Flamethrower, Grass Knot, Leer and Close Combat (obviously, Leer will be the move that would get replaced by Slack Off). I ask because I'm not sure if Slack Off is a good enough move to wait for, as only Chimchar/Monferno learn it, and because self-recovery moves are often considered very valuable. Is it worth waiting for it or should I just go ahead and evolve him? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom