• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

The Hellish Angel
Reaction score
Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

T-tar can use flamethrower/ice beam/thunderbolt well. Ev spread: 252 attack/ 252 spatk(If you put in a special attack.) Otherwise just put everything in hp or speed.

Hmm, sounds like a plan. I'm thinking Thunderbolt, seeing as any Water-Type that comes in has the potential to ruin my team.
Garchomp: Fire Fang/ Fire blast. Most steel types have poor spdef. Even with a lower spatk, Garchomp will do a lot to any steel type with Fire blast but its your call. Ev spread:252 atk/ 252 spatk.
Well, it may be low, but it's better than Tarous's.

Lucario: Imo both are useful but I think Extreme speed has lot of merits, since you will cover almost everything with Dark Pulse/ Aura sphere.
Running Fire Blast on Garchomp seems to make B-Kick redundant, no?
Anyway, I'll ditch it for Ex-Speed.

Nope, foretress isn't useful enough. Ferrothorn has better stabs/ curse/ leech seed, etc.
If you still want to go with it:
[email protected]
Spikes/Stealth rock
Gyro ball
Earthquake
Payback
However, it isn't going to be very useful, I'll add that...
OK, so I guess it's Ferrothorn, then. Now the question is, Spikes or Stealth Rock?

Also, do I need Rapid Spin for this particular team?

All hail me!
Reaction score

OK, so I guess it's Ferrothorn, then. Now the question is, Spikes or Stealth Rock?

Also, do I need Rapid Spin for this particular team?
Rapid spin is useless ingame.
There are many sets for ferrothorn you can use:
My fave:
[email protected]
252hp/252spdef
Brave/Sassy nature
Curse
Gyro ball
Power whip/Payback
Leech seed

This is one of my most favorite set ever. Start with leech seed to steal health as you set up a couple of curses and become impossible to kill and then do overwhelming damage to everything with Gyro ball and Payback. Keep him away from fire and fighting types though. Also be careful of burns but I must say that if used properly, this set is fantastic.

Another one I use:
[email protected]
Leech seed
Protect
Spikes
Power whip

I would say stealth rock is better ingame if you just wanna set up in a turn, but itsn't even necessary at all. It does help in some battles though.

Also, if you want leech seed + sr/spikes Ferroseed, tell me and I will give you one.

The Hellish Angel
Reaction score

OK, I'll get to work on that first set (albeit with some tweaks). Thanks for the advice, by the way!

All hail me!
Reaction score

OK, I'll get to work on that first set (albeit with some tweaks). Thanks for the advice, by the way!
sure, but do try to keep in leech seed. Thats sort of the crux of the set, since ferrothorn will lose hp pretty fast otherwise.

Welcome to the New Age...
Reaction score

Just a quick question: which is generally better for a Mawile with Sheer Force to know? Metal Burst or Iron Head?
Mine already knows MB but i'm coming up on the level for it to learn IH, and i generally only like one move of each type in a moveset.

And if it matters any here are her specs (note i don't have anything really in mind for her as far as purpose):

Mild nature
Likes to thrash about
Sheer Force
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Metal Burst
-Iron Defense

Edit: i was also thinking that maybe having MB might be redundant since when she uses iron defense, it would make MB LESS powerful...thoughts?

Last edited:
追放されたバカ
Reaction score

Just a quick question: which is generally better for a Mawile with Sheer Force to know? Metal Burst or Iron Head?
Mine already knows MB but i'm coming up on the level for it to learn IH, and i generally only like one move of each type in a moveset.

And if it matters any here are her specs (note i don't have anything really in mind for her as far as purpose):

Mild nature
Likes to thrash about
Sheer Force
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Metal Burst
-Iron Defense

Edit: i was also thinking that maybe having MB might be redundant since when she uses iron defense, it would make MB LESS powerful...thoughts?
Go with Iron Head for more reliable damage.

Reaction score

@Heathcliff Huxtable
Another thought crossed my mind while i was training her, would it be recommended to swap out Iron Defense for Swords Dance?

All hail me!
Reaction score

What do you mean?
You do not have a reliable "STAB" = same type attack bonus move(that is a steel type move in this scenario.)
So basically you use swords dance but don't have stab move to use if you don't use iron head. Remember stab moves are pretty important if you want to hit hard.

For example, stone edge has 100 base power while crunch has 80 base power. However iron head will have 80(base power) * 1.5(stab) = 120 power.

So, basically what I want to say is that if you are going to put in swords dance, you may as well put in iron head so that you can utilize that increase in attack.

Reaction score

You do not have a reliable "STAB" = same type attack bonus move(that is a steel type move in this scenario.)
So basically you use swords dance but don't have stab move to use if you don't use iron head. Remember stab moves are pretty important if you want to hit hard.

For example, stone edge has 100 base power while crunch has 80 base power. However iron head will have 80(base power) * 1.5(stab) = 120 power.

So, basically what I want to say is that if you are going to put in swords dance, you may as well put in iron head so that you can utilize that increase in attack.
oh ok i was wondering what you were going on about :)
Ya i put in Iron Head after all, i was just wondering if Mawile would benefit more from an Atk upper move rather than a Def. upper move coupled with IH.

All hail me!
Reaction score

oh ok i was wondering what you were going on about :)
Ya i put in Iron Head after all, i was just wondering if Mawile would benefit more from an Atk upper move rather than a Def. upper move coupled with IH.
imo, it depends on you play style. If you like stalling, you will like Iron defense+toxic but I don't recommend stalling ingame so Swords dance is the way to go.

Reaction score

imo, it depends on you play style. If you like stalling, you will like Iron defense+toxic but I don't recommend stalling ingame so Swords dance is the way to go.
I'm not much of a staller, i'm more of a 'hit em hard, hit em fast!' kinda player. Thank you for you're input ^_^

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn!
Reaction score

Can you help me with a team for competitve battles like the Atumuan Tornament, I lost like nine times so easyly, so here, i bult it quikly so yeah

Vrizon
Moves: Swords Dance, Reatailate, Giga Drain, and Sacred Sword
Ability: Justifide
Item: None

Coblion
Moves: Swords Dance, Reataliate, Iron Head, Sacred Sword
Ablility: Justifide

Reanclus
Moves: Shadow Ball, Confuse Ray, Psyshock, Psychic
Ability: Magic Guard

Chadlure
Moves: Shadow Ball, Infurno, Heat Wave, Overheat
Ablility: Flame Body

Scolopede
Moves: Poison Tail, Toxic, Steamroller, X-Sccicor
Ability: Poison Point

Hydreigon
Moves: Crunch, Dark Pulse, Dragon Rush, Dragon Pulse
Ability: Levitate

This is so bad....I lost agenst MYSELF lol

All hail me!
Reaction score

Can you help me with a team for competitve battles like the Atumuan Tornament, I lost like nine times so easyly, so here, i bult it quikly so yeah

Vrizon
Moves: Swords Dance, Reatailate, Giga Drain, and Sacred Sword
Ability: Justifide

Coblion
Moves: Swords Dance, Reataliate, Iron Head, Sacred Sword
Ablility: Justifide

Reanclus
Moves: Shadow Ball, Confuse Ray, Psyshock, Psychic
Ability: Magic Guard

Chadlure
Moves: Shadow Ball, Infurno, Heat Wave, Overheat
Ablility: Flame Body

Scolopede

Hydreigon
Moves: Crunch, Dark Pulse, Dragon Rush, Dragon Pulse
Ability: Levitate

This is so bad....I lost agenst MYSELF lol
I am a poor doubles battler but I can still advice you some movepool changes. However, I cannot give you advice without knowing you strategy or team style.

Virizion: replace Giga Drain with leaf blade, Retaliate with Stone edge and Close Combat for Sacred
Sword.
Cobalion: Remove Retaliate again for something like Stone Edge. Close Combat for Sacred Sword.

Reuniclius: Replace Psychic/ Psyshock with Focus Blast.
Chandelure: Put in Energy Ball for Inferno and you can consider Psychich for Overheat if you hate repeated switching.

Hydreigon: Replace Crunch with Flamethrower and Dragon Rush with any other coverage move.

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn!
Reaction score

Vrison and Coblin where just addons for the tornament, Scolopede was last minite but any way...
I LOVE the STAB for some reason but I do go for sanderd Super Affectiveness. I try to hit hard and fast, and also i'm lucky too for some reason so I can use a move like Thunder and hit twise in a row with it! but anyway I try to hit hard. thanks for current info and would apresiate more.

Prayers to Oak Creek
Reaction score

Vrison and Coblin where just addons for the tornament, Scolopede was last minite but any way...
I LOVE the STAB for some reason but I do go for sanderd Super Affectiveness. I try to hit hard and fast, and also i'm lucky too for some reason so I can use a move like Thunder and hit twise in a row with it! but anyway I try to hit hard. thanks for current info and would apresiate more.
I feel like this could be easily beaten by Trick Room, Tailwind, and Goodstuff teams.

Ice Master.
Reaction score

Scolopede
How could you use scolipede WITHOUT megahorn? get a heart scale, go to a move relearner (I think in 6th gym city). I would replace, really any move with it. It does not have amazing accuracy but it hits grass, psychic and dark very hard and hits hard to any neutral pokemon too.

Reaction score

Just finished EV training my Latias, it will only be used for the battle battle tower in SoulSilver, here's the nature/EV spread : Timid, 252 SA/SP, 6 HP, holding Soul Dew.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what moves it should have? It's role in my team is mainly a special attacker.

Thanks