• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Reaction score
Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

You're welcome, @Meaty_Man;! Glad to be of some service.

I think Silky could use a Bug-, Ghost- or Dark-type move for that pesky Psychic problem. Should I get rid of Focus Blast AND Reversal or just Focus Blast?
I'd get rid of Focus Blast, since Sawk has sub-par special attack. Looking at Sawk's moveset, the only Dark-type moves it can learn via TM are Taunt (Dark), Fling (Dark) and Payback (Dark)... and Knock Off (Dark) via Shard Tutor. It can't learn any Ghost- or Bug- types moves. I'd go with Payback, since its power doubles if Sawk moves after the opponent.

Getting rid of Sucker Punch was definitely not on my agenda, in fact I was going to give it to Buc Nasty as well rather than X-Scissor (as that covers nothing) as long as he can learn it.
The only way a Bisharp can have Sucker Punch is if you obtained it from the Dream World area Spooky Manor as a Pawniard, or you had a DW female Pawniard bred with that move.

Earthquake is definitely in for Gorge, replacing Yawn. But it has nothing for its (luckily only one) weakness. Flying doesn't sound plausible at all; what would be a good Psychic move to replace Return?
Hmmm... I don't suggest the actual move Psychic, since Snorlax's special attack is pretty low compared to its physical attack. How about Zen Headbutt? You can teach the move to Snorlax via the Shard Move Tutor in Lentimas Town, for 8 blue shards.

Reaction score

Hmmm... I don't suggest the actual move Psychic, since Snorlax's special attack is pretty low compared to its physical attack. How about Zen Headbutt? You can teach the move to Snorlax via the Shard Move Tutor in Lentimas Town, for 8 blue shards.
The only problem with this is that I only have the first Black Version. Can you still teach Gorge Zen Headbutt somewhere within my game?
Also, I don't seem to have the TM Earthquake. Where exactly is it? Is it in a difficult position?

Reaction score

The only problem with this is that I only have the first Black Version. Can you still teach Gorge Zen Headbutt somewhere within my game?
Also, I don't seem to have the TM Earthquake. Where exactly is it? Is it in a difficult position?
You can only get Zen Headbutt on a Snorlax in B/W is by breeding your Snorlax with a Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking/Cranidos/Rampardos that knows the move and the Snorlax must be holding a Full Incense because it has to be a Munchlax to get the move. So Gorge can't get Zen Headbutt in B/W, I'm sorry to say.

TM26 Earthquake is found in the Relic Castle after you've beaten the game. The Relic Castle is in the Desert Resort by the way.

Why not?
Reaction score

I'm starting my Black 2 game, and I pretty much got 5 of the 6 down for sure, I just need help picking the last one.

Snivy--->Serperior
Venipede--->Scolipede
Yamask--->Cofagrigus
Gothita--->Gothitelle
Mienfoo--->Mienshao

For my last one, I'm thinking either:

Pidove--->Unfezant
OR
Cinccino--->Cinccino

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
The Lord of the Dance
Reaction score
My Fire Red Team Open in any Ideas

OK, so this is the Fire Red team and the moves of each pokemon I want to make. Plz look at it and see if you can help me improve I will also add some questions.

I don't wanna bother with EVs allthough I know how they work I think it's too much trouble.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Charizard - Warog: No replacing him but I can change his moves.
- Flamethrower
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide (Just in case.)
- Sword Dance

2. Zapdos: I don't think there is a better electric in this game.
- Thunderbolt
- Drill Peck
- Agility
- Substitute (Cause it's rather squisy for a legendary.)

3. Nidoking: This one is very controversial since it's a good pokemon to start with but not so great in late game.
- Sludge Bomb
- Thrash
- Megahorn
- Shadow Ball (I need a dark move somewhere.)

4. Golem: I think for Ground & Rock moves thid fella is the best. He can also take soem good dmg.
- Rock Blast
- Double Edge
- Focus Punch (Not sure about this.)
- Earthquake

5. Suicune: Ice and water moves.
- Surf (Best water type move in my opinion.)
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Rest

6. Mewtwo: Not changing him. Moves can change.
- Psychic (Surprise surprise!)
- Ice Beam (This one is also controversial since Suicune has it too.)
- Calm mind
- Recovery

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so that's my team and the moves I have chosen.

My questions are:
- Should I change Nidoking? I use him cause as I said he is reallt good at start. he can also learn a huge variety of moves from bug to dark types so he can be good way to fill my gaps in offense. If you guys have a better suggestion I am open.
- Is Substitue good for Zapdos. I am not sure but since it's a pokemon that cannot take much damage I think it can be a life saver.
- Should I replace Golem? If yes with what?
- With what should I replace Ice Beam on Mewtwo?

Feel free to add any other improvements you can think of and I might not have included in my questions.

Plz do NOT tell me to:
- Change Charizard with Moltres or Ho-Oh.
- Change Suicune with Lugia. Lugia is Flying/Psychic and for some reason peopel think it's Water type.

Thank you evryone. ^^

Last edited:
Reaction score

I have a freshly evolved Feraligatr I got in a trade (as a Totodile) from someone here on the forums, and I'd like to use him for the PWT or Battle Subway. Can anyone give me any tips on what I should have in terms of a moveset?

Feraligatr (as of Level 30)

- Male
- Modest (Likes to fight)
- Torrent

HP: 94
Attack: 67
Defense: 71
Sp. Attack: 60
Sp. Defense: 57
Speed: 52

- Ice Fang, Crunch, Water Gun, Agility (Current set right now)

- Ice Punch, Crunch, Waterfall, Dragon Claw/Outrage (Future, subject to change)

The Hurt Incarnate
Reaction score
Re: Black 2 singleplayer team plans

Here goes my third take: First I F**k up and post it in the Pokemon world section by acciedent, then I realize all the single player teams are oh so (In)conveniently placed into one thread, so here it goes again...

I want to restart my B2 becuase I F**ked up my first (And last) file because of poor pokemon choice, so i decide "Why not do something different and try and make my SP team more like something you would see in MP (I.E. less brawn, more Brain.) And this is the team I have proposed, All I need now is some feedback on it (Because I Don't want to screw up again.)

Anyways, This is my (Proposed) team!
Asterix (*) means that there are multiple moves I am thinking of putting in that spot, this is where I am going to need some help.

First Pokemon:
Snivy Lvl 17> Servine Lvl 36> Serperior
Grass
Nickname: Leaf (My Traditional Name for Grass Starters)
Main Role: All Around
Caught: Aspertia (Starter)
Ability: Overgrow
Item: Miracle Seed or Big Root (If Giga Drain is chosen)
Moves:
*Giga Drain Lvl 34>40>44
Leaf Blade Lvl 28>32>32
Coil Lvl 31>36>38
Iron Tail Move Tutor Lentimas 6 Blue Shards
*Energy Ball TM 53
As most All Rounds do, they mostly attack, which is what I was going for on this loadout, We have two powerful physical attacks, and one moderate-powerful special attack, plus the added bonus of coil, which allows me to prepare for an all out sweep.
I am disputing on wither or not to use Giga Drain to keep my HP up, or to use Energy Ball, the latter having no extra effects, but is more damaging, If I DO use Giga Drain, I will equip a Big Root so that I can get more out of it than normal.

Second Pokemon:
Mareep Lvl 15> Flaaffy Lvl 30> Ampharos
Electric
Nickname: Volt
Main Role: Special Buff
Caught: Floccesy Ranch (Father)
Ability: Static
Item: Wise Glasses or Light Clay
Moves:
Thunderbolt TM 24 (Victory Road)
Signal Beam Lvl 39>47>51 Or Move Tutor Driftveil 4 Red Shards
Reflect Breeding (Chikorita Family)
Light Screen Lvl 43>52>57 Or TM 16 (Nimbasa TM Department)
I wanted a Pokemon who is bulky and able to take and dish out hits, and Ampharos, although slow, certainly fits the bill for me, I also wanted a supporter on the group as well, so I researched what Pokemon were able to learn both Light Screen and Reflect and, again, Ampharos's grill is slapped all over the results. Though I did find out that he can only learn it by breeding with a member of the Chikorita family that knows the move, but since I have both Black and Heartgold, it won't be much of a problem to breed one. Thunderbolt was chosen because thunder is too inaccurate to be Amphy's only electric move, and Signal Beam was to ward off any Psychic types who will try to mess with the Reflect/Light Screen strategy, plus, the added confusion is nice too.

Third Pokemon:
Growlithe Fire Stone> Arcanine
Fire
Nickname: Blaze
Main Role: Powerhouse
Caught: Virbank Complex (As Growlithe)
Ability: Intimidate or Flash Fire
Item: Charcoal
Moves:
Flamethrower Lvl 34>N/A
Crunch Lvl 39>N/A
Dragon Pulse Move Tutor Lentimas 10 Blue Shards
Dig TM 28 Route 4
I always loved Arcanine, as I also love Dogs, and see as our ol' friend is in B2, I decided "Why not?" and chose to use it for my Fire type (I LOVE being a pyro!) But enough gushing. What I did with this is I took my token fire type and twisted it to accompany the fact that this time around, I'm not using any dragon types like a normally do (I limit myself to one pseudo-legendary per team, Lucario is the exception, obviously.) and also that I am absent of ground types. Now that iv'e cleared up why I have dig and DP on there, the rest is just your standard "Flamethrower and Crunch combo" with the charcoal added so that I don't have to trade accuracy for power like I do with Fire Blast.

Fourth Pokemon:
Buizel Lvl 26> Floatzel
Water
Nickname: Jet
Main Role: Bulky Water Type
Caught: Lostlorn Forest (As Buizel)
Ability: Swift Swim
Item: Damp Rock or Mystic Water
Moves:
Surf HM 3
*Waterfall HM 5
Ice Beam TM 13 (Giant Chasm)
Rain Dance 18 (Mistralton City)
*Aqua Tail Lvl 38>46
Though most people think it's a weak, pathetic Pokemon just because it's common, I think that it is the only decent non-starter water type in the whole gen IV lineup, which -for water types at least- was utter shite. One thing people overlook is how bulky I find Floatzel to be, it can resist a lot of attacks, and can also deal out some decent damage too. Surf and waterfall are there because they HAVE to be in order to beat the game, although I COULD substitute WF for Aqua Tail at the expense of having to drop a party member if I want to go anywhere off the beaten path, which, considering the beaten path is full of those "Why and How the fuck do you have level 88 Metagross" trainers, is a bad idea. I took advantage of swift swim being the only standard ability for Bui and Flo and applied rain dance and a moist rock, which makes it so that everyone from smogon will hate my guts for all eternity, but hey, it's not like the computer can ban me for it.

Fifth Pokemon:
Rufflet Lvl 54> Braviary
Normal-Flying
Nickname: Falcon
Main Role: Hit Hardly and Swiftly
Caught: Route 11 (Black, Traded to Black 2)
Ability: Keen Eye
Item: Quick Claw
Move:
Fly HM 4
Aerial Ace Lvl 23
*Superpower Lvl N/A>51
U-Turn TM 89 (Battle Subway, PWT 12 BP)
*Strength HM 4
This is where I wish I had gotten White 2, But oh well. It's not like I can't just go onto the GTS or access some of the forbidden AR codes in my Black and then trade it to B2. This Braviary is designed to be Swift and Powerful, with hard hitting moves like Strength and Superpower, and also quick hit-and-run moves like U-turn and Aerial Ace. And, as the gods of Pokemon (Gamefreak) demand, Fly is just there so that I don't pull my hair out in rage when I have to walk everywhere and encounter those damn breeders.

Sixth Pokemon:
Absol
Dark
Nickname: Pandora (F) Shade (M)
Main Role: Fragile Speedster
Caught: Route 14
Ability: Super Luck
Item: Scope Lens
Moves:
Night Slash Lvl 41
*Razor Wind Lvl 57
X-Scissor TM 81 (Route 7)
Shadow Claw TM 65 (Celestial Tower)
*Double Team Lvl 25 or TM 32 (Battle Subway, PWT 6 BP)
I cannot tell you how great and underrated this Pokemon is. Absol is just, Awesome, but anyways, this is my loadout for him/her/it/Cthulhu. It centers around crits, like, A LOT of crits. Super luck makes it easy enough, but add in moves that have higher CHR, and the scope lens, and that's 3 Stages higher CHR than a normal Pokemon, this makes it so that, even if Absol is fragile, it will become a lucky sweeper, and if the battle is not in my favor, I can use Razor Wind to deal a decisive blow.
Tell me what you think, and if you have something to suggest, don't hesitate to tell me!

Ciao♥ :ksmile:
I would strongly suggest using a magnemite/ton/zone in your playthrough. You get it as early as just before the poison gym (convenient, since steel is immune to poison). Moves are pretty flexible, as long as you have STAB. I'd try to get one with sturdy, too, as words fail to describe how useful that is against gym leaders/boss trainers. He's also got pretty nice bulk, though it's not enough to be careless with (it is better than Amphy in that regard, at least).
In addition, for Elesa, I would suggest using an Onix equipped with rock tomb and Dig/Earthquake(if you can obtain it somehow via a trade-tradeback). Her entire team is just shy of useless against an Onix.

As for snivy/serperior, I got a Jolly (+Speed, -SpAtk) one for my starter, so I decided to run a bulky physical sweeper set on it.
Basically,
-Leaf Blade
-Coil
-Aqua Tail
-Giga Drain
Eventually, I gave it leftovers, and giga drain does a ton when overgrow is in affect (only time you'll really want to use it). Otherwise, set up one or two coils, then use Leaf Blade and Aqua Tail with reckless abandon. I'd recommend AT over Iron Tail only because Iron Tail is pretty redundant with Serperior's grass STAB.

Grass-type fanatic
Reaction score

I've just started Black 2, and chosen Snivy. I want to run with all Unova Pokémon, so the following is what my eventual team will have. Any recommendations for moves are welcome. :)

Serperior
Ability: Overgrow, Nature: Modest
Moves: Energy Ball, Dragon Pulse, Leech Seed, Toxic

Crustle
Ability: Shell Armor, Nature: Adamant
Moves: X-Scissor, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Aerial Ace

Galvantula
Ability: Compoundeyes, Nature: Modest
Moves: Bug Buzz, Thunder, Energy Ball, Thunder Wave

Jellicent
Ability: Cursed Body, Nature: Modest
Moves: Surf, Hex, Ice Beam, Toxic

Carracosta
Ability: Solid Rock, Nature: Adamant
Moves: Waterfall, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Aqua Jet

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist, Nature: Jolly
Moves: Stone Edge, Fly, Earthquake, Dragon Claw

Reaction score

I've just started Black 2, and chosen Snivy. I want to run with all Unova Pokémon, so the following is what my eventual team will have. Any recommendations for moves are welcome. :)

Serperior
Ability: Overgrow, Nature: Modest
Moves: Energy Ball, Dragon Pulse, Leech Seed, Toxic

Crustle

Galvantula

Jellicent
Moves: Surf, Hex, Ice Beam, Toxic

Carracosta
Ability: Solid Rock, Nature: Adamant
Moves: Waterfall, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Aqua Jet

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist, Nature: Jolly
Moves: Stone Edge, Fly, Earthquake, Dragon Claw
The movesets look pretty good. You'll probably have to trade Tirtouga and Archen over from B/W though since you can't get those two until after the E4 in Black 2.

Grass-type fanatic
Reaction score

The movesets look pretty good. You'll probably have to trade Tirtouga and Archen over from B/W though since you can't get those two until after the E4 in Black 2.
I got up to Virbank Gym with that team and decided to change them after I remembered how limited Snivy's moveset was (I originally chose Snivy because Dragon Pulse would've made it so much more useful for Iris). What do you think of the new team (I have them all in their base forms, but this is how they'll work out eventually)...

Flygon
Ability: Levitate, Nature: Adamant
Moves: Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Fire Punch, ThunderPunch

Volcarona
Ability: Flame Body, Nature: Bold
Moves: Bug Buzz, Flamethrower, Giga Drain, Fly

Crustle

Galvantula

Ferrothorn
Ability: Iron Barbs, Nature: Brave
Moves: Power Whip, Gyro Ball, Leech Seed, Toxic

Jellicent
Moves: Surf, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Waterfall

Last edited:
Reaction score

I plan on starting a new file on Black 2 in the future. Can anyone rate the team I've selected, and help with the last slot?

Fearow (Fly, Drill Run, Drill Peck, Assurance/U-Turn)
Weezing (Sludge Bomb, Assurance, Flamethrower, Gyro Ball)
Lilligant (Giga Drain, Petal Dance, Quiver Dance, Toxic)
Crustle (X-Scissor, Rock Wrecker, Shell Smash, Earthquake)
Zoroark (Night Slash/Night Daze, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast/U-Turn)

I need help deciding a sixth slot, and it has to be a Water type. I've narrowed it down to either Golduck, Vaporeon, Floatzel, or Starmie. Any suggestions?

Grass-type fanatic
Reaction score

I plan on starting a new file on Black 2 in the future. Can anyone rate the team I've selected, and help with the last slot?

I need help deciding a sixth slot, and it has to be a Water type. I've narrowed it down to either Golduck, Vaporeon, Floatzel, or Starmie. Any suggestions?
Starmie, by a very long way. Fast, strong, awesome-looking, versatile and has a lot of coverage. Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt and that purple hero is unstoppable.

Reaction score

Starmie, by a very long way. Fast, strong, awesome-looking, versatile and has a lot of coverage. Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt and that purple hero is unstoppable.
I've never used Starmie before @Keasbey;, so I will definitely consider it! Which of its abilities is better, Illuminate or Natural Cure?

Grass-type fanatic
Reaction score

Which of its abilities is better, Illuminate or Natural Cure?
Natural Cure, by far. Every time you switch out or a battle ends, status conditions are cured. Illuminate has no effect in battle, all it does is increase wild Pokémon encounter rate by 200%.

Reaction score

Which of its abilities is better, Illuminate or Natural Cure?
Natural Cure, by far. Every time you switch out or a battle ends, status conditions are cured. Illuminate has no effect in battle, all it does is increase wild Pokémon encounter rate by 200%.
... O.O oh my I'm definitely going with Natural Cure.

Fire Chicken
Reaction score

Azelf @ Focus Sash/Leviate

Taunt
Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave
Psychic

Scizor @ Life Orb/Technician

Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Aerial Ace/Brick Break
U-turn

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb/Poison Heal

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Ice Fang
Thunder Fang/Fire Fang

Kingdra @ something/Swift Swim

Surf
Ice Beam
Draco Meteor
HP Grass

Haxorus @ Choice Band/Lum Berry / Mold Breaker

Outrage
Brick Break
---------
--------- (Choice Band???)

Chandelure @ Choice Specs/ Flash Fire (still no Shadow Tag...)

Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Psychic
HP Grass

Azelf/Kingdra/Chandelure use typical Special Sweeper Build (252 SAtk, 252 Speed, Modest)
Scizor/Gliscor/Haxorus use typical Physical Sweeper Build (252 Atk, 252 Speed, Adamant)

What do you think?
ALSO, should I change Kingdra with Starmie (Psychic instead of Meteor)?
Or somes Natures with Jolly/Timid

Reaction score

So, I've decided that while I still have my current savefile, I want to try and get one of those challenge medels. As in, defeat the E4 with a single Pokemon type. I've chosen Dragon to start with. Can anyone look at the team I've assembled and give some pointers?

Haxorus (Shiny)
- Female
- Adamant (Somewhat vain)
- Mold Breaker
- Shadow Claw, Dragon Claw, X-Scissor, Earthquake (Current moves)
- I'll be replacing Dragon Claw with Outrage soon

Seadra (Will evolve into Kingdra soon)
- Female
- Lax (Capable of taking hits)
- Sniper
- Dragon Dance, Hydro Pump, Dragon Pulse, Ice Beam (Current moves)
- I definitely want to replace Dragon Dance, but I'm not sure with what move. Hydro Pump will likely be replaced with Surf.

Dragonite
- Male
- Jolly (Quick to flee)
- Inner Focus
- Dragon Dance, Dragon Rush, Wing Attack, Thunder Wave (Current moves)
- Thunder Wave is staying. I will replace Dragon Rush with Outrage once it levels up a bit.

Druddigon
- Female
- Lonely (Likes to fight)
- Rough Skin
- Shadow Claw, Revenge, Night Slash, Outrage (Current moves)
- Should I replace Revenge with Superpower?

Hydreigon
- Female
- Relaxed (Scatters things often)
- Levitate
- Dragon Pulse, Toxic, Fly, Body Slam (Current moves)
- I'm keeping Dragon Pulse, but I might go with Fire Blast, Focus Blast, and another move that I can't decide on.

I have Kyurem as my final slot (Impish, Somewhat vain; Pressure; Scary Face, Glaciate, Dragon Claw, Imprison), but should I replace it with Flygon?

Last edited:
Reaction score

@FallenIdol_453;

Kingdra: if you're set on replacing Dragon Dance, there isn't really much it has attacking-wise. Only Signal Beam adds to its coverage, but I don't know if you want that. Other options would be Yawn or maybe Agility to boost your speed more than Dragon Dance would, which could be helpful. Or you could go for Draco Meteor for situations where you might need a lot of power to quickly take something out.

Dragonite: Are you sure you want to keep Wing Attack? I would go for Fly instead if you're going with a flying type move

Druddigon: It's not really going to outspeed anything anyway so I'd keep Revenge to avoid the stat decrease that comes with Superpower. You'd be getting the same amount of power. Shadow Claw or Night Slash are pretty much the same move so I'd replace one of them with Earthquake, Rock Slide or Aqua Tail for added coverage.

Hydreigon: Dark Pulse or Surf.

Reaction score

I'm starting White 2, and this is my possible planned team:

Serperior (Overgrow) - Coil/Calm Mind, Leaf Blade/Giga Drain, Outrage/Dragon Pulse, ???

Excadrill (Sand Force) - Sandstorm, Drill Run, Rock Slide, Iron Head

Braviary (Defiant) - Fly, Crush Claw, Shadow Claw, Super Power

Chandelure or Darmanitan

Ampharos or Magnezone

Golduck or Starmie

I haven't quite decided on the last three, any suggestions?